• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
From that point of view yes.
But once more - most of MP games are decided long before USA could bring into battle their might.
So there should be mechanism for more historical gameflow (France in 1940, SU in 1941) or there should be mechanism for faster pulling of USA, as USA is half of Allied victory.

Well, like everyone else has said, it depends on the MP group and what they want to do. They've already made their rules, and judging by what's been posted, this MP group wants to play a war game that takes place during the time frame of WW2. They don't want to be exactly historical, which is blatantly obvious from the previous AAR when Germany didn't attack the Soviets. Just because YOU feel that certain events should take place around a certain time doesn't mean everyone else wants to. What if France holds on until '42? Should Germany attack the Soviets, as you suggest? If anything, the Soviets should attack in that situation, but that's ahistorical now, isn't it?

Remember, different people play this game for different reasons. Those who like the sandbox feel play vanilla, those who want to play a WW2 game use ICE, those who want a semi-sandbox game that makes sense either play HPP or AS. Looking at the "favorite mod" poll's results show that the forum is split about 50/50 between the wanting a WW2 game and wanting a game set in WW2 (there is a difference).

Anyway, this thread isn't really the place to discuss which MP house rules the group has to follow, or which are better. This thread is for enjoying the carnage CptEasy will show us :)

From that point of view yes.
But once more - most of MP games are decided long before USA could bring into battle their might.
So there should be mechanism for more historical gameflow (France in 1940, SU in 1941) or there should be mechanism for faster pulling of USA, as USA is half of Allied victory.
I don't see a contradiction here. Early Axis successes should bring USA close to the Allied camp early on - it's logical. That's what is missing in many HOI games. I could never understand how Japan can conquer Nationalist China by the end of 1938 without ANY reaction from the USA.

The fact that HOI games are often decided very early on is just bad balance.

I don't see a contradiction here. Early Axis successes should bring USA close to the Allied camp early on - it's logical. That's what is missing in many HOI games. I could never understand how Japan can conquer Nationalist China by the end of 1938 without ANY reaction from the USA.

The fact that HOI games are often decided very early on is just bad balance.

Forum ate my post :(
In previous game Axis conquered Europe, and many countries in East. Did USA join the battle after stunning Axis performance? Did they?
As I have said more than once, currently rules are strongly in Axis favor. It does not mean they will always win, but they surely have more than 50% chance.
One of them is strong Japan, which is much stronger than in reality.

That's why I suggested modding and complained about lack of balance in HOI3... It can include anything you wish, within the engine's constraints.

There are even MP-orientated mods, like August Storm.

One of them is strong Japan, which is much stronger than in reality.
Is Japan too strong or the Nationalist China too weak?

Another great aar,subscribed.
I think the house rules are very fair this time around,minus japan usa shouldn't join is very realistic.Soviet,france, britain must take on germany and italy ,if they don't think that's fair stop whinning coz its not the rules but something with the allies planning.

Really looking forward to cpt easy playing a land power,that too the most popular one.But i must say the no reserves rule is crap.Good luck cap,i'll be rooting for u on this one.
Only think captain easy,don't build too much aircraft.as germany u'll never get the time to properly use them and then keep paying attention.Build only interceptors and u already start with quite a few ground attack craft.Stack up as many land divisions as u can.
Good luck and looking foprward to the update.:)

That's why I suggested modding and complained about lack of balance in HOI3... It can include anything you wish, within the engine's constraints.

There are even MP-orientated mods, like August Storm.

Is Japan too strong or the Nationalist China too weak?

In our MP game we are using our mod, oriented for boosting Allies - USA gets extra manpower for Vichy, China and if losing Guam or other base. Plus minor tweaks for practicals and officers.
Japan is too strong - when it conquers China, Japan's manpower does not run out at all and in 1938 scenario, by 1940 Japan can field 16CVs. Some of them prebuilt of course, but still a big lot. USA can field some 4-6, not more, or it will be without any land forces. And UK can spare 2-3CVs for India or they have to skip some defense in other places and lose them.

And Austerlitz - building some INT's is good idea, as you will have to help out Italy and Japan with your airforce.
In our last game having 15INTs was pretty ideal amount.

USA can field some 4-6, not more, or it will be without any land forces.

In 1940? Hope you mean "field an additional 4-6 CV's".

What bothered me in ICE when I played USA campaign is the ability to convert old battleships into CV's, and old CA/CL's into CVL's, in a short amount of time. That's too much of an advantage to UK and USA, who start out with lots of outdated BB's, compared to Germany and Italy, and even Japan.

Back on topic, the Sudden in the title of this AAR makes me wonder if we'll have Poland invasion in 1938, before Allied guarantee on Poland?

About the INT's, Germany can stack themselves on INT's, for a start, and when needing to take advantage of the skies in land conflict, it can invest in CAS with high practicals. Investing in INT's let's Italy license them off Germany instead of devoting quite a chunk of leadership, which will be put to use upgrading the Navy and possibly NAV's too. Same for Japan, although lessened by their air combat experience in China.

Not really. I *was* talking about 1938 scenario.
In 1936 USA can build more, and Japan can build lots more.
For precise numbers I will load save from our last MP game in evening, but till 1941 Japan has distinct naval superiority that it can use to expand and hunt down enemy fleets. USA and UK can give some local battles, but "Decisive Battle" would decimate USA/UK forces in region.
Of course, every lost Japanese ship is painful for them as over time they can't replace lost ships so fast.

Traks, the sizable Japanese fleet will run into problems with more modern and tactically advanced Allied fleets, which is actually not really ahistorical.

Baltasar, I know and I don't complain too much, except that Japan after annexation of China becomes slightly too powerful with IC and manpower. And USA AI will not build many CVs, so USA superiority will not come in play till 1943, if USA joins Allies in 1941. And as I said, 99% of MP games are over by 1941 already.

Baltasar, I know and I don't complain too much, except that Japan after annexation of China becomes slightly too powerful with IC and manpower. And USA AI will not build many CVs, so USA superiority will not come in play till 1943, if USA joins Allies in 1941. And as I said, 99% of MP games are over by 1941 already.
Why not boost China?

China boost could help so Japan has to build more troops and less fleet.
Best aid to China would be an increase of their starting officers to ahistorical numbers, something like 120%. Then China AI would squander them building more militia and infatry, but they would collapse much slower due to better org regain. Adding event with some Militia (20 divisions, AI only?) could help further.

Last patch helped China slightly, moving some VP (and factories I think) inland.

All this would help a lot in 1936 scenario and offer slight delay in 1938 scenario.

Japan shouldn't be directly nerfed. The way to do it involves buffing Chinese resistance. A decent way would be nerfing Chinese infra, as it really was awful and in SF Japan doesn't get enough supply woes there, if it captures the big ports.
Well, if China mostly has militia (low supply drain, bad offensive capabilities) and fights in core territory (supply throughtput bonus) and the terrain is harsh (always better for the defender) and infra low, then Japan would have problems...

So... How is it going? ;)

Was planing to answer some comments during the weekend. We missed a hole session due to my computer (host) crashing constantly during game play. Usualy it happes once in a while - perhaps once ever session - but now we couldn't even play for 5 minutes. It might be due to scripting (Had to move an Axis fleet, captured in the Black Sea when war started with Allies due to bugg) the save file - but the game even crashed when we were waiting for all players to logg on. Very weird and mighty annoying. I have gone through drivers to hard ware (but I had the latest) and reinstalled the game so I hope it will work better now. Maybe the Metaserver had some issues that night (Tuesday) - I dunno. Anyway - one week delay there, but we will try again on Monday.

Last edited: