• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CptEasy

Colonel
6 Badges
Nov 8, 2009
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Sudden Carnage

Starting countries played by humans

UK
France
Poland
Soviet Union
Germany
Italy
Japan

Version: Semper Fi v2.04b

Starting Year: September, 1938.

…………………………………………………………….

Index

Pre-war
Chapter I - An important decision is being made (38 September - 39 January)
Chapter II - The Road to war (39 February - April)

The attack on Poland
Chapter III - Let slip the dogs of war (39 First half of May)
Chapter IV - The Pocket-Hunt (39 Second half of May)
Chapter V - The road to Warsaw (39 First half of June)
Chapter VI - The Battle of Warsaw and a Global Tremor (39 a few days in late June)

The Legacy of the Polish Surrender
Chapter VII - The Third Reich in disarray (39 late June and early July)
Chapter VIII - The Clash of Giants under the Summer Sun (39 July and early August)
Chapter IX - The Clash of Giants under the Summer Sun, part II (39 August)

Operation Storm
Chapter X - Part I (Late Aug-Mid Sept 1939)
Chapter XI - Part II (Mid sept-early Okt 1939)
Chapter XII - Part III (Mid Okt 1939)

Operation Hammer Sickle
Chapter XIII - Part I (Late Okt - Early Nov 1939)
Chapter XIV - Part II (Mid Nov 1939)
Chapter XV - Part III (Late Nov 1939)
Chapter XVI - Part IV (First half of Dec 1939)
Chapter XVII - Part V (Second half of Dec 1939)
Chapter XVIII - Part VI (First days of Jan 1940)
Chapter XIX - Part VII (Mid-Late Jan 1940)
Chapter XX - Part VIII (Late Jan 1940)

The Act of a Genius
Chapter XXI (First Half Feb 1940)

Operation Vice
Chapter XXII - Part I (Second half Feb 1940)
Chapter XXIII - Part II (First Half March 1940)

The Skidel Showdown
Chapter XXIV - Part I (Mid March 1940)

Operation Wedge
Chapter XXV - Part I (Late March & early April 1940)
Chapter XXVI - Part II (Mid April 1940)
Chapter XXVII - Part III (Late April Early May 1940)
Chapter XXVIII - Part IV (Mid May 1940)
Chapter XXIX - Part V (End of May first half of June 1940)
Chapter XXX - Part VI (Second half of June 1940)

New Fronts
Chapter XXXI - Part I (July and first half of August 1940)

Operation Barbarossa
Chapter XXXII - Part I (Second half of August - First half of September 1940)
Chapter XXXIII - Part II (Second part of September - First part of October 1940)
Chapter XXXIV - Part III (Second part of October and November 1940)
Chapter XXXV - Part IV (December 1940)

D-Day
Chapter XXXVI - Part I (First half of January 1941)
Chapter XXXVII - Part II (Second half of January 1941)
Chapter XXXVIII - Part III (February 1941)

The Fall of Emipres
Chapter XXXIX (March 1941)

……………………………………………………………..

House Rules

As faithful readers already know, we’ve had huge discussions of House Rules. Most of your comments have not affected these house rules, as we made them before last AAR came into the HR-discussion-phase. House Rules and Modding is an ongoing work and we are now initiated work, led by Maxyboy, to Modd more and House Rule less. Several of your comments have fed into that work. It will hopefully be in place to next AAR. Until then, we have no modds but a lot more House Rules than before. Feel free to comment.

• Axis players can play all Axis countries. Allied/Commie players can play all Allied/Commie countries and Nat China. Allied/Commie players are allowed to play CAN even if it’s not allied. Allied/Commie players are allowed to play USA in 1941.

• Game starts Sept -38 on speed 3 until 1939. Then on speed 2 until “Danzig or war” when we go to speed 1. Alternatively, GER player can lower to speed 1 after May 1st, 1939. No pausing is allowed except for technical or rl-problems.

• Players must declare wars themselves. “Call to arms” only to AI.

• Poland must oppose “Danzig or War”.

• No unholy alliance

• Mol-Rib pact is voluntary

• USSR has special trade rules until 1941 (or war with any other major). They must accept all Axis deals if the deal doesn’t put USSR on a negative balance for that commodity. Axis-nations are bound by honor to not suggest deals that are “impossible or unlikely” to be accepted.

• Japan and Italy can only declare limited war on USSR. GER must declare war by themselves but may declare a “full” war.

• USSR must go “Bitter Peace” if Stalingrad, Leningrad, Moscow and Vladivostok falls.

• If USSR has the highest threat towards US, they are not allowed to DOW neutrals. This restriction is cancelled after Barbarossa or 1 July 1941.

• Axis have fleet restrictions until US joins. Japan and GER/ITA can only rebase to each other’s spheres of interest if they can reach it with a “transport” order.

• GER may lend ITA 2 divisions. Player countries cannot lend each other troops in any other way.

• USA may not move troops, navy or planes in the pacific until they join Allies. This does not include their mainland west coast.

• USA may not place troops in Allied provinces before they become Allies. They may not in any way lend or give troops to the Allies before they enter the war.

• Allies may not “allow dept” to other human played Allies – but to AI run minors is ok. USA may always “allow dept” to whom ever. Axis may “allow dept” to whom ever.

• The players are “bound by honor” to never stall a war (in order to stay on war economy etc.)

• Nations can build 4 para-brigades per 100 base ICs

• Players are only allowed to build +5 of any fort in any province

• Minors are allowed to “license build”. Majors can only have 12 IC of “license build” active at any time. They are however, always entitled 1 unit being lb at any time, regardless of the cost (meaning that it’s ok to build 1 bomber even if it costs more than 12 IC. 1 brigade, however, is considered 1 unit).

• Players are not allowed to build units as reserves.

• Convoys must be on for periods of time as the game allows a newly opened convoy to immediately retrieve everything that’s been piling up (Bug!). Players are “bound by honor” to not blip them on and off. A newly started resource convoy must be on for at least 3 weeks before it can be turned off (but if all convoys are sunk before that they don’t need to add extra’s of course ;)

• The game ends in the end of 1945. Victory points dictates winner.

…………………………………………………………..

I will play Germany and will experiment with an opening which is rather superior in single player. It will be a lot tougher in multiplayer though, and I am curious about how it will work out. It will be a rather wild gamble as there are many variables affecting the outcome.

Last edited:
Interesting, subscribed. The House Rules are much better, and will make for a more interesting and balanced game.

GER may lend ITA 2 divisions. Player countries cannot lend each other troops in any other way.

Too bad we won't be seeing a full Afrika Korps. I would set this at 5 Divs (One Corps worth of troops).

I will play Germany and will experiment with an opening which is rather superior in single player.

Damn, wanted to see you playing Japan, but with the no-rebasing of fleets it might get boring, while USA does not enter the war. Italy would be a challenge, to know what they suffered against you with their crappy commanders and low leadership.
Let me guess, Infantry builds to raise practical and rush-tech '42 Small Arms and '44 Night Vision equipment (dunno if it's doable in '38 start though)? Germany with focused practicals can spew out stuff at an alarming rate. Or if by opening, you mean invading Spain in the SCW... Another alternative would be invading Scandinavia, I guess. Early wars, provided they don't mess with events, are actually rather beneficial to Germany due to combat experience gain.

Axis-nations are bound by honor to not suggest deals that are “impossible or unlikely” to be accepted.
Bound by honor? :D Are you kidding me?

Axis have fleet restrictions until US joins. Japan and GER/ITA can only rebase to each other’s spheres of interest if they can reach it with a “transport” order.
Sounds reasonable. It would make India and the Med more important.

USA may not move troops, navy or planes in the pacific until they join Allies. This does not include their mainland west coast.
It seems a bit restrictive. Why not add a counter-rule? For example, if the USA garrison its Pacific holdings, then the Axis is free to support each other with naval units.

GER may lend ITA 2 divisions. Player countries cannot lend each other troops in any other way.
But why?

The game ends in the end of 1945. Victory points dictates winner.
I would add an additional rule to it. If the majority of the losing side and the majority of the winning side agree to continue, then the timeline should be extended up to the end of 1946. Alternatively, if there is a stalemate (Neither the Axis nor the Allies/Comintern are visibly beaten and the situation is not hopeless), then the game should be automatically extended to the end of 1946.

Convoys must be on for periods of time as the game allows a newly opened convoy to immediately retrieve everything that’s been piling up (Bug!). Players are “bound by honor” to not blip them on and off. A newly started resource convoy must be on for at least 3 weeks before it can be turned off (but if all convoys are sunk before that they don’t need to add extra’s of course
Why not simply turn the automatic convoy management on?

Damn, wanted to see you playing Japan, but with the no-rebasing of fleets it might get boring, while USA does not enter the war.
If the Allies will be allowed to play as Nationalist China, it may be interesting ;)

I really enjoy your multiplayer AAR

Not being a good HOI player I enjoyed reading about your games and what strategy you use
The thing i lack is the tactic to attack, i tend to give order to AI, Is that enough or is it better to learn how to give order to every single brigade and air division??

If the Allies will be allowed to play as Nationalist China, it may be interesting.

Nat Chi in 1938 is in a really tough position. It is nigh impossible to stall Japan for an year, before losing, if Japan player has any clue on what he's doing. Hence why Poland was picked instead of Nat Chi.

I will be following.

The thing i lack is the tactic to attack, i tend to give order to AI, Is that enough or is it better to learn how to give order to every single brigade and air division??
Myself, I tend to micromanage every single aspect of the front, though this makes for a very slow game.

Really, the only way to learn the tactics of attacking is by attacking so I would recommend playing a scenario that puts you directly at war in order to practice that skill. If you like military memoirs, reading one of say Patton's or Guderian's can be beneficial for one's skill at HoI3, much to the credit of the game design.

Looking forward to another great AAR to follow and hope this goes in a more balanced manner than last.

Can't wait.

Added as an edit:

Have you contemplated the following possibilties for rules?:

Cannot start Barbarossa until after fall of France, must be started by Germany.

Japan must DOW USA before the end of 1941.

USA cannot enter the war before Japan's decleration.

This will almost certainly prevent an Axis playing of the diplomatic game to win the war and will put huge pressure on the axis early doors to try and prevent themselves from fighting a massively stronger set of oponents (e.g. - Japan really needs to try and wrap up the Asian theatre, Italy the African and the German's need to do well in Russia after swiftly wrappin gup the rest of the European campagin).

It might not work, but it would more likely give the Axis a tougher fight, which I think they need in HOI3 as they are probably overpowered in relation to the rest.

Last edited:
• Axis have fleet restrictions until US joins. Japan and GER/ITA can only rebase to each other’s spheres of interest if they can reach it with a “transport” order.

Does this mean that in your previous AAR axis would have had to secure a port in south africa and possibly one more at the coast of west africa to move JAP fleet to the med? And been forced to hold on to Sri Lanka etc.. hmm sounds more fair. If so the scheme Axis pulled in "Jolly Carnage" would still have been possible but less sneaky and require more planning?

Cannot start Barbarossa until after fall of France, must be started by Germany.

Don't agree, Germany should be free to go after SOV after Poland, while having the Allies attacking on the West, IF Molotov-Ribbentrop pact is not signed.

USA cannot enter the war before Japan's decleration.

This raises problems. By 31st December 1941, SOV may already be beaten, and the US player will have played for nothing. Plus, Axis can DoW half Europe and still get away due to threat being a non-concern in such a situation. USA should be able to enter the war if GER player makes progress into Barbarossa, regardless of status on Japan. The goal here is not to replay history, is only to be historically plausible and gameplay balanced.

I will play Germany and will experiment with an opening which is rather superior in single player. It will be a lot tougher in multiplayer though, and I am curious about how it will work out. It will be a rather wild gamble as there are many variables affecting the outcome.

Gee, where have I seen something like that before :p Actually, I can think of two options here, and am curious to see what you'll do.

USA can be played by any allied player from 1941, meaning that even if the Axis influence the USA, they can try to align themselves to the Allies. Doesn't really guarantee an entry into the war by the end of the year though.

Why? It makes the game boring and predictable.

Predictable to a degree certainly, although it still leaves the axis free to dictate the timetable giving them the initial upperhand. Boring? Surely that depends on how the game is played out?

Although I thought Capt. Easy's writing in the last AAR was fantastic and you had to admire his ability playing against such as overwhelming foe; having two more balanced sides would have prolonged the game and quite possibly made it more interesting. I suppose that depends on your point of view - personally I take enjoyment from a challenge where as the last game dried up because there was no balance at the end as the Axis had so cleverly played the game mechanics and UK was left in a hopeless position.

Honestly, USA as player played is needed for better balance, as AI is averagely horrible in building. It is okay in research as USA.

SU should be able to declare war on Germany:
1. If no pact is signed, SU should have free hands.
2. If pact is signed, Reds may attack from 1942 I'd say (or when Pact allows?), to stimulate creative approach of SU player.

USA should be able to join faster, depending on how things go.
I do like less rules and more player interactions overall.

I have to agree with Cybvep, although it really comes down to personal preference. Do you want to play a WW2-game or a game based in the WW2 time period? House rules are tailored to each group's preferences, and based on the HRs in the first post, this group wants to play a game based in the WW2 time period. This allows for the group to try new strategies, like the one we saw last time with the Axis coordination.

This brings up lots of other possibilities, like ignoring Poland and grabbing Scandinavia, or Germany bypassing France and performing Sea Lion first. Germany could not offer the M-R Pact, ignore the Allies, and attack the Soviets right after Poland. Lots of things to try (most won't work in multiplayer though), which is what makes this house rule so interesting, if it's meant to be taken literally:

Then on speed 2 until “Danzig or war” when we go to speed 1. Alternatively, GER player can lower to speed 1 after May 1st, 1939.

This implies that Germany can start the war early, in May, against a target that isn't exclusively Poland.

I think that some modding should be done instead of creating arbitrary house rules. While some HRs are good (especially those which are meant to limit the exploits), there are many things which could be done with modding.

Yes, but there is one catch with modding.
Mod for "No rules" game will completely different from "Strictly historical" game.
If it is "Free for all", can expect early USA entry and aggressive players.
If more historical, it warrants much slower gameplay.

That's why they should go for a mix of both. Some HRs are good, but they shouldn't "guarantee" anything IMO. If Germany wants to attack in 1938, then why the hell not?

BTW why not allow the US player to play from the start, but with restrictions? He or she could control production and technology, but nothing else until year X or the war erupts or whatever.

Predictable to a degree certainly, although it still leaves the axis free to dictate the timetable giving them the initial upperhand. Boring? Surely that depends on how the game is played out?
Your idea makes the whole diplomatic and espionage effort regarding the USA useless. Forcing the Axis to bring in the USA as their opponent while simultaneously forcing them to do a Barbarossa is just reenacting history. You could as well read a book on the war instead of playing the game.