• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I didn't think paras retreated out from battles they were airdropped into. I have surely lost paras this way, even if they did have an escape route.
IIRC I saw them retreat to the German or Italian territory, but can't bet on it. Traks might comment on and bring more light to the matter.

I am not sure if I have screenie, battle was short, but I was reinforcing Soviet attack on Budapesht, yes :D
That situation was really wtf for me, but it ended well.
Paras don't die, they retreat if there is friendly retreat route possible. Just click on province like with normal retreats.

Continuation of Chapter 3 - how many French you need to turn on one lightbulb? (10th of November 1939 - January 23 1940​

We stopped at November 9th. By November 19th, there were significant gains in central France, while left flank was defended by British, who were slowly retreating.
Their capital was guarded by quickly gathered rabble, and few precise paradrops helped to capture enemy units. Note: I do not drop paratroopers in empty province to which enemy is retreating, as it is exploit. I do drop paratroopers to encircle enemy before he decides to retreat.

By 1st of December it was clear that French days are counted and Panzers basically were rushing to capture WP. Both fronts have been merged.

On 6th of December, total victory has been achieved and new plans were laid in motion. While we were busy in France, Soviet Union managed to annex Sweden, Norway and even Denmark. That did trigger earlier plans for Japan and Italy, including split-up of Hungary.

Next, was Spain. As SinglePlayer testing showed, they would not join Axis unless Gibraltar is taken, and that sealed Spain's fate.
Start of campaign was set on 1st of January, and invasion begun. In fact, here AI did pretty competent work, putting most of it's army on border defending mountains.
Beachhead was gained by few paradrops and following infantry attacks.
Front, two weeks later, led by general of unpronouncable surname.

It also did mean, that once Spanish frontline is broken, they have no reserves. Breakthrough was reached week later, and now Panzers were free to roam once again.
At the same time, plan which was put in motion on Day 1, was close to finishing... the Great Plan.

Last edited:
Is that your officer ratio in the right left corner? Great plan = carriers? Not that Soviet intelligence cant see far into your kitchen, but few direct answers won't hurt :)

Yes, that is officer ratio we had during French campaign.
Tsss, I can't comment on my great plan yet :)

Yes, Soviet actions soon will be reviewed in more details.
But right now I rolled on time quite enough, as we are at end of 1940.
So update has to wait.

I. Japanese Imperial plans (1938 till end of October 1939)

Commanders:
Fiendix - in charge of production, research, diplomacy and western conquests.
Orthank - in charge of convoys, resources and eastern conquests.

General plan for early years:

• Secureing of china
  • Secureing of resources (trade)
  • Priortising navy builds for early USA war entry (in our MP games usa usually enters start of 1940) - esp. carriers.

War plans for China where pretty straight forward. Units from Korea area and Manchuko were to be redeployed to the southern part of China for a push through the minor. Units behind initial lines in Northern China were to be redeployed to the centre to hold the front and move to Communist China so as to annex them and move off into the underbelly of Russia to annex the remaining Chinese puppets.

Below a screen on general movements of troops. Green lines indicate more or less the initial front. Red lines indicate initial movement of troops. Blue lines indicate general push of army after units attained desired positions.

(screen from 1st of August 1939)
79d263480c672db02e36c5797d5916187a1ac4f9a897e473ec33b9842c0346ae4g.jpg

With china under ai there was not much resistance and the front crumbled pretty fast. Unfortunately due to our experimentation with the supplies at one point our whole southern army lost supplies when the northern and southern front combined. This caused most of our units in the south who were already very low on org to fall back and be pingponged by the chinese militia. However by mid july everything was mopped up and the ideal time for annexation was picked for the start of August.

Soon after that all units expect a few inland garisons were returned to Japan to regroup. In early/mid october 1939 it was noticed that Russia began a large buildup near Manchuko (which at that point we didnt have any troops in) and we hastily had to construct our fleets (all were grouped in 1 large stack :p) and dispatch troops for the anticipated USSR dow. This was rather a wake up call for the Great Japanese Tactical Minds who were so concentrated on the pesky Chinese and the Japanese build up plans that they didn't notice the USSR radical threat growth which would soon enable USA to join the allies.

Thus a radical plan grew in those Great Minds........ ;)

Last edited:
Dow Russia first, getting Germany and Italy in, too, thus tackling the bear as early as possible and trying to avoid a two front war?

Now now, soviets are our friends in peace...

Early Barbarossa is indeed possible at this stage. It's winter 1940, France is done, so is Spain. Turkey is in Italian hands and Japan rules the east. As there is lack of viable targets for Axis in Europe, Soviet high command just guesses when friendly relations become history and survival fight begins.

Though one must grant that soviet rhetoric has been getting quite agressive of late, if their deployments were more agressive as well (not at border) one would be actually worried...

you rush ahead - its still late 39 - early 40 in the AAR ;) dont spoil the fun when the drama is about to begin :D
No, I speak about winter 1940 - which is January 1940 ;) What I said is what Soviet hight command was considering at that given date.

We will never understand Russian logic :). I'll give an update soon. Heres a sneak peak ;):

German Military Attache: "We are certain the France will fall within weeks. The frog eaters have been overrun, their moral is shattered. The High Command assures me total victory is within reach. The sheep herders in the iberian peninsula will be next in our march for total domination. The Furher encourages you to take action. We will be able to take our strategic objectives even if they intervene."

Agent Nakashi: "Its inevitable Your Royal Highness. The agressive behaviour of the ally nations will lead to certain confrontation. Even now the tea drinkers amass in India. France is about to fall within weeks. The longer we wait the the harder it will be to maintain our initiative."

Minister of Defence: "We are far behind our production goals. The marines & new infantry are still in training. The infantry from China still has to recuperate its loses. 'The Plan' is very risky and could easily backfire".

His Royal Highness The Emperor aka Commander Fiendix: "Gentelmen I have weighed all the arguements. Its impertative that we strike fear into the hearts of the allies. Their must feel our wrath for all these provocations and the carefull laid out plan be my and Commander Orthank will surely catch them off guard. So we say 'The Plan' is a go!"

I am not sure if I have screenie, battle was short, but I was reinforcing Soviet attack on Budapesht, yes :D
That situation was really wtf for me, but it ended well.
Paras don't die, they retreat if there is friendly retreat route possible. Just click on province like with normal retreats.

Strange. It will soon come an event in Sudden Carnage when they didn't..... :(

Really aggressive play from all sides! How is the island jumping going for JAP player? It will be interesting to see where US player put his efforts once they get in. And I'm curious about the Great Plan?

II. Japanese Imperial plans (October 1939 till 10th November 1939)

On the 10th of November 1939 'The Plan' was in its early hrs of birth. It was to be war, but not against the communist drunks from the north, not the tea drinkers from the always raining islands in europe, but against the dreadfull behemoth that the docile yankees where to become. This was comming to pass approximately 5 months earlier than His Royal Highness The Emperor aka Commander Fiendix originally anticipated. Now it became a rush with major logistical problems due to this hasty glued up plan. Hopefully before the Americans noticed anything major on our side and call up mobilistation. With unmobilised troops their organistation would be very low. This would allow our forces to conquer those forward islands even if there were large stacks of units there and (most importantly as the American leader was well know for his love of tanks) give us a fighting chance versus defending hard targets.

Primary goals:

• Conquering Guam
  • Conquering Wake

Secondary goals:

• Conquering Midway
  • Sinking suprised USA Navy

Final loading phase of IJN
6f7ce7a23861112b63a648cc2f0d722e0b14dd0bfbdaf6b4d8875af9723237cc5g.jpg

Task Force Guam
30b316115ed4c5d1e748272b42b3f8c1159af0546afcad9f8040d55e6d2dce874g.jpg

Task Force Wake - Midway
49848d828d68a5b89775b05cf9a7adbf8735c36b4b092dc36d7c3a6deaaa5d286g.jpg

And thus the fleet sailed out for their preordered positions before WAR! was to be declared.......

Last edited:
Ahh, the size of IJN always comes as a shock to me.

This time it also came as nasty surprise to American admirals :)
Nice pictures of respective fleets. Also logical, as there was possibility to meet USA fleet near islands.

Well it was our whole navy. We scrapped all we could (except lvl I dds and subs). The biggest problem is that we didnt know what was Wake at the start of this - so we had to send all our main ships there. Also it was much more probable that usa would send its main fleet to wake than guam if the suprise was achieved. So the old junk ended up in Guam and the rest went to Wake and Midway.

Interesting idea, but are you not afraid that the USA will immediately join the Allies, thus bringing in half the world in this war? Moreover, you can't just leave the Soviets unguarded so you have to split your forces.