• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(211247)

Corporal
Jun 15, 2010
The Road Not Taken:
A Volga Bulgaria AAR

Table of Contents
Sultan Akhad Maskha Dulo (Ja'afar ibn Mahmud) - Queen consort Irge Awad
Land of the Bulgarians, Land of Islam. Part 1
Land of the Bulgarians, Land of Islam. Part 2.

Sultan Kol'n Dulo (Khalid ibn Ja'afar) - Queen consort Tawnat Hamid
A new Sultan, a new vision. Part 1
A new Sultan, a new vision. Part 2
----------
Beginnings of a great dynasty. Part 1
Beginnings of a great dynasty. Part2
----------
Biding their time. Part 1
Biding their time. Part 2
----------

International Politics Updates
Cuman Civil War
Blacksheep.png

Last edited:
Land of the Bulgarians, Land of Islam
Part 1

Dearest Father,

I have missed you terribly since your departure from Bulgaria some weeks ago and it is my sincere hope that this letter finds you in good health. I write this letter to you from a personal castle in Bilyar, resting but we will get to the reason for that later. The winter is still very harsh so I don’t often dare venture outdoors but my faithful lord travels to and from this stronghold several times a month to see that my health is good. You should know that I am treated quite well here and even have some luxuries not common in Baghdad.

I am settling into life here, several things have surprised me like the large size of two of the cities called Bulgar and Bilyar; they rival Jerusalem in size and Baghdad in splendor. Akhad Maskha is richer than many of his neighbors because of the traders that flow into the capital daily from across Europe and Asia. His people are thoroughly Muslim even using the more Arabic styling of naming sons Ibn “Their father’s name” and many adopting or being given Arabic names. Despite the full Muslim population of the kingdom there is still little concern over the sects of Islam but many Bulgarians lean towards Sunni.

There is some news I must convey to you before I close out this letter. My son-in-law, Kol’n is now Sheik of Zyriane which was announced at his wedding to Tawnat Hamid, a Berber woman from Cordoba. There is yet better news father, earlier this month, I came to find myself with child and my lord was so elated at the news that he erected several forestries in his lands to praise Allah for providing him with a child. The Sultan had a large feast just a few nights past where he announced the great news to a crowd the surprisingly included his ally Anunshtigin Khwarizm-shah, Emir of Khwarismian.

You’re loving daughter,
Irge Awad, Queen of Volga Bulgaria

Irgesignature.png

P.S. I have included a map of my lord’s kingdom so you can believe my statements.

Map1066.png

Lands of Volga Bulgaria and it's neighbors. c. 1066

Last edited:
Land of the Bulgarians, Land of Islam.
Part 2

The Bulgar tribe, a mix of Turkic and Iranian peoples, who were believed to have migrated to Europe with the Hunnic invasions, came to dominate a large section of Black Sea region. Eventually, they split into two main tribes one on the center of the Volga River, who became the Volga Bulgarians and the other on the banks of the Danube River. The ruling dynasty of both tribes, the Dulo clan, was established as a powerful clan by Kubrat, the founder of Old Great Bulgaria. Old Great Bulgaria was created through a union of the all the Bulgar tribes and conquest of the Avars but was divided upon the death of its founder.

Kotrag, the son of Kubrat, led a Bulgar invasion of the Volga River and conquered the Finno-Urgic peoples living there around 660. At the death of his father, Kotrag had broke away from Old Great Bulgaria and his descendents would in the 7th to 9th centuries establish a state along the central area of the Volga River, called Volga Bulgaria. In the year 922, Abbasid Caliph al-Muqtadir sent Ibn Fadlan from Baghdad to Bolghar to establish relations and convert them to Islam. During the visit, Almış iltäbär converted bringing in qadis and teachers of Islamic law as well as building forts and mosques. Almış took, upon his conversion, the title Emir and Islamized his name to Ja'afar ibn Abdulla, a practice that became common in later generations. After his conversion, the Emir worked to become, eventually independent of the Khazars, becoming the first King of Volga Bulgaria or as the Caliph knew him, the King of Saqaliba, referring to the Slavs. Later Bulgarian Sultans would attempt to convert Vladimir I of Kiev to Islam but he refused to become Muslim and take wine from his people, which he called, the ” very joy of their lives”.

The cities of the Volga Bulgarians grew large and rich off trade between Europe and Asia. The capital city of Bolghar rivaled the greatest centers of the Islamic world in both wealth and size; there was another city, Bilär which served as an occasional capital if raids by the Rus became too frequent. The Volga Bulgarians traded with the Norse, Rus, and Northern Pagan tribes to the north, Byzantines, Abbasid Caliph, and Seljuk Turks in the south, Western Europe and even China. It was this wealth of trade that facilitated the growth of their cities and funded Sultan Akhad Maskha’s building in honor of his wife’s pregnancy in the later winter of 1067.

Last edited:
An interesting choice of country for an AAR. What made you chose it?

I've been playing as the Volga Bulgars m'self recently. It's remarkably easy early on, particularly with the Mappa Regnorum mod, as you're surrounded by weaker pagans, with the often short lived Cumans to the south. It's only later when you're surrounded by Christians that it becomes a struggle. Fun, though.

It'll be interesting to see where you take it.

Alfredian - Mr. Capiatlist's Homelands AAR inspired me to look for another unique culture for my own AAR and then I came up the Volga Bulgarians. A major reason for my staying with them is their great position allows me to be agressive early, which I like and they have some fairly rich provinces which are easy to make more productive. I hope you'll stick around to see some of the riches of Volga Bulgaria.

Rabid Bogling - They are in a good position early and slightly better when one plays the TASS mod, as I do. It cuts the Cuman down by making the High Chief of Azov independent which has quite an impact on how things go. As far as the Russians are concerned, I often try to conquer at least one of the Principalities early; usually after the first generation dies. There are quite a few interesting things available to the player of the Sultanate, my goal is to hit as many as possible. I look forward to your continued readership.

Armonistan - Thank you, I try to keep things simple and to the point which, I believe, makes it easier to read and more enjoyable for the reader. There will be a plot and such, though it won't often walk up and introduce itself. I assure you that your hope for an eventful game will not be in vain, I have had no Volga Bulgaria game without many setbacks and struggles which is what makes them so fun to play. I look forward to your continued readership and feedback.

Note to all readers - The names presented in this AAR may change slightly with time as I learn more of the naming systems used by the Bulgarians at this time, as an American I have very little experience with the Arabic naming system so please bear with me. I will take one minor liberty with history by giving the Volga Bulgarians a dual naming system, where they have traditional and Arabic names, while in OTL most sources indicate that they simply use the Arabic naming system by game start. Soon there will be an update on Arabic naming traditions to hopefully alleviate confusion about the names used in this AAR. Thank you for your time.

A new Sultan and a new vision
Part 1

The blaring of trumpets from the castle broke the midday silence, that hung over Bolghar as Prince Kol’n entered the throne room dressed in his full military regalia riding on a black horse; the soon to be Sultan was a tall, impressing man standing roughly 6’ 7” with broad shoulders and a deep chest. His medium length black beard left to grow wildly and the hair atop his head completely removed brought further attention to the towering man. As the horse slowly moved up the central aisle of the throne room, the people in attendance bowed before their Prince and at the end of the walkway, bowing as all the others, stood Irge Awad, the widowed wife of Akhad Maskha, holding the crown in stead awaiting the new Sultan. When he reached the bent women, Kol’n dismounted and knelt down before the Queen or Sultana removing his helmet, placing it next to him on the ground. The women straightened up and held the crown over his head.

“Khalid ibn Ja’afar al - Dulo al - Saqaliba, in accordance with your father’s wishes, the will of Allah, Mālik-ul-Mulk, and this crown placed upon your head,” Irge said placing the crown of simple metals and little decoration on the Prince’s head. “You are invested with the power, prestige, lands and title of Sultan of Volga Bulgaria, Master of the mighty Volga River. All hail Sultan Khalid ibn Ja’afar Khan, may he reign into old age.”

With the crowning complete, the new Sultan arose and took his place upon the throne of his father in the center of the room. The throne was simple wood adorned with silk and furs, next to it sat a small throne of similar construction. Both sat on a raised platform so as to keep the Sultan higher than any other in the room and send the message of his supremacy. Looking out at the assembled crowd, Kol’n paused for a few moments to allow the reality of the situation to filter through the attendees before standing to deliver a speech.

“Praise Allah, the most high god! The King of kings! The Highest, The Greatest! For too long, my brethren, our people have only held dominion over the Eastern bank of the central flow of the Volga and for too long have we been obliged to suffer the Christian traders from across Europe in our capital. I make this promise to you today, that before Allah takes me from this world we will control the Volga from the influx of the Kama to the Caspian Sea. We shall build cities in these new lands, and fight the infidel until they parish by the sword or see the truth of Allah. We will become rich from the conquest and shall bring culture to the barbarian heathen. I shall ensure a place in the annals of history for my people, a place of fear and respect, a place beside the Caliphates of old. A place beside the great empires of Rome and Alexander, all will know and tremble at the name of Volga Bulgaria! PRAISE ALLAH!”

At the conclusion of his speech, the throne room exploded in cheers as the Sultan mounted his horse and rode out into the streets of Bolghar. Kol’n joined up with a large precession that would follow him to the castle in Bilär where his pregnant wife was to reside along with her widowed mother-in-law. He would spend much of the next several months with his wife in the Sultana’s castle awaiting the arrival of his first child and hopefully a son and heir.

Last edited:
A new Sultan and a new vision
Part 2

In the spring of 1067, Sultan Ja’afar ibn Mahmud developed a cough but soon it became obvious this was no normal cough with him falling deathly ill in the summer of that year. Ja’afar ibn Mahmud died in his bed at Bilär Castle on August 29th, 1067 with his wife, son and a scribe to record his final moments in Arabic present. Only three months after his coronation the new Sultan had an ally and an heir, this put him in a fairly stable position for a young ruler also resulting in a name change for the Sultan to Abu Ishaq Khalid ibn Ja’afar al –Dulo al – Saqaliba in honor of his new son. The unproven monarch would be slow to make his first move, choosing to build his treasury and conduct building projects.

After two years of gain the trust and respect of his people through a targeted form bribery disguised as benevolent acts, Sultan Kol’n made the call of Jihad on the pagan Tribe of Mordvins. The young leader worked tirelessly to show the people the manifestation of his vision for them and the first move in the vision of a lowering of the moderate taxes imposed upon the people by his father. During this time Khalid also showered his only wife, Tawnat, with many gifts and great luxuries which made her quite happy while she adjusted to life as Queen. The people prospered in these early years and sung the praises of the unproven leader so much that by the winter of 1069, Khalid felt he had the support for a war with the Mordvin pagans to the West.

On February 10th, 1069 Sultan Khalid ibn Ja’afar sent a declaration of war to High Chief Malyy of the Mordvins and mobilized most of the military reserves of the Sultanate. Kol’n rallied a large army at Bolgar and leading it himself, attacked Malyy’s largest force at his capital, Burtasy. After a long and bloody battle, Malyy along with most of his army lay dead but despite the loss of their leader, the Mordvins continued to fight until late December of 1069. In August of the same year, Queen Tawnat gave birth to a girl who would be named Irge. The last Mordvin stronghold in Mordva fell to Volga Bulgarian control in late December and a peace was forced on them where they surrendered all their lands except Mordva. The newly acquired land was given out to two men, Adam Dulo, a distant cousin, received Merya and Chuvash while Kutalmis Al-Ayyubi, a childhood friend of Khalid received both Grassland and Mountain Cheremisa. Kol’n kept the formal capital of Burtasy for himself and began to transform it into a Bulgarian city by converting its temples to mosques for the Muslim minority.

aftermordva.jpg

Sultanate of Volga Bulgaria after its war with the Mordvins. C. December 1069

Beginings of a great dynasty
Part 1

Bilyar Castle, Volga Bulgaria
May 15th, 1071

Sultan Khalid ibn Ja'afar sat on his throne at Castle Bilyar, where he had lived the past several weeks, preceding over the affairs of his vast estates and even several foreign emissaries. One of those envoys no w stood before the Sultan ready to announce his business and return to his sovereign. Kol'n sat leaning on one hand bored by the endless repetitiveness of peace, which he distained.

"Great Sultan Abu Ishaq Khalid ibn Ja'afar al - Dulo al - Saqaliba," The messenger said grandly. " My Lord the Emir of Edessa would like to announce to you the birth of…"

A young slave sprinted into the room and fall upon his face before interrupting the emissary in a shaky timid voice. "A thousand pardons my liege, the Queen, she is in labor and wishes you to come to her side." With that the slave retreated from the throne room and headed back through the maze of corridors that made up Bilyar Castle. Khalid had straightened in his throne at the news, scanning the room for a trustworthy advisor the Sultan's eyes fell upon his supreme chancellor, a plump jolly man named Alp Arslan Salah and motioned the man over. Moving as quickly as he could, the chancellor leaned into his monarch to receive instructions; the Sultan cupped his hand over man's ear preceding to tell instruct him.

Khalid rose from the throne, which caused all in the room to bow and began to move through the corridors of the drafty castle. Meanwhile, Alp Arslan positioned himself on a small wooden throne that had been moved in by two slaves and began to hear the business of the realm for his liege. After travelling through cold halls of the bastion, the Sultan arrived at the door to the room where his wife lay in labor and pushed it open causing a blast of hot air to hit his face. Tawnat screamed in labor pains making his husband to slam the door behind him and run to the side of the bed.

Five excruciating hours had culminated in the birth of a healthy baby boy with golden colored eyes and a full head of black hair, the same head of hair his father entered the world with. Upon the arrival of the child, the Sultan sent a slave to herald the news; the slave immediately set of down the halls of the castle into the throne room. Falling to the ground the young man waited for a moment before standing and running to Alp Arslan's side to tell him the news. The chancellor rose from the wooden throne and motioned for calm in the court.

"This night, just moments ago, a Prince was born with golden eyes and full black hair as his father had." He announced grandly. "In seven days there shall be a naming ceremony for the boy. Praise Allah!"

Enewald - I did not know that, as is obvious, so thank you for pointing that out and I will know for future reference. It's nice to see you continue to read and comment on my AAR, it's very helpful. Thank you.

Note to readers - This update took longer than I would have liked. They should be coming faster than this most of the time. I will notify you of delays.

Beginings of a great dynasty
Part 2

After a very successful war against the Mordvins, Sultan Khalid decided it was time to build a reputation for himself with his people and give them a reason to love him. The Sultan, a student of history, knew that all great rulers were not just magnificent generals but also altruists of grand proportions. In July of 1070 when his second son Küerҫi given the Arabic name Ibraham ibn Khalid was born, Khalid held a grand feast but invited only the peasants, while only eating a small meal himself at the head of the table. By April of the next year the royal treasury was again in the black and plans to build grand monuments to the Sultan's glory began to appear. Kol'n hated the notion that the first act of building in his reign would be a monuments to his glory and instead chose to rebuild the forestry in Bilyar he was forced to raze to pay back debits.

In March of 1071, Prince Sulayman ibn Khalid was born creating quite a stir throughout the land but not all were happy at the news of birth, especially the pagans in Burtasy. The child's golden eyes were interpreted by an priest to be the sign of an end to their way of life and called his people to arms, rising up against the Muslim leadership imposed upon them even killing the local tax collector. When word of the insurrection reached, Khalid in Bolgar an army was assembled to put it down with swift force; the massive army decimated the rebel mob bring order to the province once again. Simply restoring peace was not enough for the enraged Sultan and he sought to send a message to all conquered peoples that dissent would not be tolerated and further more that religious freedom was a luxury not a right. After crushing the rebellion, Sultan Khalid ordered all the priests in the area brought to the center of town and assembled before him. The one who made the prediction was made to beg for mercy but ultimately beheaded by Kol'n himself. The others were split into two group, one group was forced into slavery while the others were burned at the stake throughout the province; the people were given two options, either convert to Islam or die by the sword. Overwhelmingly they converted but those that were killed created a shortage of workers causing a famine in the province which their sovereign helped alleviate by sending grain from the stores at his castle.

By Spring of 1072 the Sultan decided to take more control over the fate of his realm but this would mean ensure his vassals loyalty by visiting them. Assembling a grand precession including the queen, Sulayman ibn Khalid and himself, the Sultan set off firstly to meet his old friend Kutmalis ibn Al-Ayyubi in Mountain Cheremisa. The Sheik greeted Khalid with a festival and a feast that included much fruit. At the finish of the meal, the Sultan went in private to test Kutmalis' true loyalty, the result was thankfully that his friend still fully supported him. The second visit of the trip took him to the borderlands where Adam al- Dulo reigned a distant cousin of Kol'n and would force a military inspection of the borders with emphasis on raiding Rus towns. The new strategy for border protection was well received by the Sheik and his marshal; thankfully Adam's loyalties were as strong as ever which made Khalid very happy. Returning to Bolgar in August, the Sultan ordered the construction of a library in center of town and then called the countries greatest scribe to his court. Al-Fadl arrived in the city the next day and was tasked with writing a new succession law for the Sultan's titles that would allow him to choose his successor from amongst his children. When the scribe had finished, Khalid hurriedly read, signed and stamped it with the royal seal; handing the letter to a waiting messenger who was to travel the country to spread the news of the change in succession laws, this was now the Sultan's country.

Religion1072.jpg

Religion of Volga Bulgaria C. 1073
Green: Areas of Muslim majority.. Grey with Green: Pagan Majority, Muslim minority

Last edited: