• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
coline.jpg

Part Seven

September 2nd 1938, Dunmow, near London, England

“What’s it like?” Colin asked.

“What’s what like?”

“You know… being in the SIS”.

Bradley began walking down the road home. His little brother followed him.

“Come on! Don’t be a sourpuss”, Colin moaned.

“It’s very classified. The only person I’ll talk about it to is maybe dad”, Bradley said, turning to his little brother and attempting to emulate Churchill’s expression on the train.

“Okay. Just stop making that stupid face. It makes you look like some sort of halfwit”, Colin said, taking out his chocolate bar. He took a bite out of it, and began munching as loudly as he could. Bradley put his hand on Colin’s shoulder.

“For the love of God, Colin. You’re seventeen. Stop skulking”.

Bradley was about to say more, but his eyes locked on a girl on the other side of the street. Bradley knew everyone in Dunmow, but he couldn’t remember her, which meant she had to be from out of town.

Colin noticed his staring, and said “Sammy says she’s a Yank, you know. Her family’s got some sort of business obligations in London, and the parents wanted to see the countryside. They’re staying at the Winchester”.

The Winchester was Dunmow’s local pub, but it doubled as a hotel when family members came to visit. It was the first time that Bradley had heard of anyone staying at the Winchester who wasn’t somehow related to one of the locals.

“A Yank you say?” Bradley said, not even looking at Colin.

“Yup. All the way from across the Atlantic, and they decide to stay at the Winchester. If I didn’t know better, I’d say it had something to do with the will of God”.

Bradley was barely even listening to Colin anymore. All his attention was focused on the girl across the street. She was the most beautiful person Bradley had seen in his entire life, and he had just spent a week in London. His thoughts were interrupted by Colin’s sharp command to turn. He had been so enamoured by the girl that he had entirely forgotten to look where he was going.

“What is wrong with you? Stop looking at the Yank. I know she’s good looking, but that’s no excuse to forget your brain. If you’re so darn interested, go see her at the Winchester during the weekend”.

Bradley followed Colin, making a mental note to go to the Winchester. They reached the house, and Colin knocked on the door.

“Dad! Mom! Bradley’s home!” he shouted, taking glances at his older brother, almost as if to make sure he didn’t run away.

They stood outside for a while, listening to the shuffling of feet inside, and then their mother opened the door. She hurried Colin in and gave Bradley a hug before allowing Jack Ellis to come and shake his son’s hand.

“Bradley, you’re going to tell me everything”, he said, and shook Bradley’s arm a little more vigorously.

Last edited:
He ain't gonna tell anything! ;)

Or is he?

An incompetent boss, a man of duty, a girl and... Hitler. All the components for good alt history.

Cant wait for the next update

Glad to know you're liking it so far, as for the next update, I'm feeling quite inspired this weekend, so you might even get to see almost daily updates for a short while. :)

youngjackeellis.jpg

Part Eight

Jack shuffled Colin out of the living room as Annette left for the kitchen. He made sure that Colin had indeed gone upstairs, before turning to Bradley.

“Have a seat”, he said, gesturing toward the comfy chair that Bradley had for so many years been denied permission to sit in. He happily sat down, grabbing the edges as if to prevent anyone from dragging him out of it.

“So. Your job. What have you been doing?” Jack asked him, brutally returning Bradley to the reality that he was only allowed to sit in the chair as long as he talked.

“I’m sorry dad. That’s classified information”.

Jack sighed and got out of his chair. For a moment, Bradley thought he had beaten his father, but then Jack pulled up the wooden stool. It still had Bradley’s name etched onto the legs.

“I asked what you’ve been doing.”

The stool danced in Bradley’s mind. A sign of failure ingrained in his mind since he could talk. He couldn’t even count the times he had been forced to sit on that stool until he confessed to trampling on Mrs. Aldershot’s begonias.

“A man’s duty to his country supersedes both law and blood”, he finally said, repeating his father’s entire, unforgettable mantra.

Jack’s face was turning ever so slightly red, and Bradley was preparing for a verbal beating, until all of a sudden his father began smiling widely. That’s when Bradley understood that it had been a test.

“I’m proud of you son. So proud”, Jack said as he hugged Bradley.

The moment did not last, as Jack soon pulled away and went to stand in front of the picture of himself from 1917. Sometimes Bradley was sure Jack Ellis loved that picture more than he loved his mother. They stayed like that for seemingly an eternity, Jack looking at the picture and Bradley looking at Jack, until Colin called from upstairs.

“Can I come down already?”

Last edited:
Is dad a veteran of Passchendaele, per chance?

Is dad a veteran of Passchendaele, per chance?

I think I mentioned he was a veteran of the Somme, but he could very well have fought in both.

He could be commie or nazi spy. ;)

Exactly my thinking. And when he noticed he couldnt crack his son he backtracked immidiately making it seem intended as test. Maybe brainwashed by German agents in 1917, the Ostpreussen Candidate :)
I love conspiracies...

Exactly my thinking. And when he noticed he couldnt crack his son he backtracked immidiately making it seem intended as test. Maybe brainwashed by German agents in 1917, the Ostpreussen Candidate :)
I love conspiracies...

Damn. You already figured it out.

In all seriousness, even I don't know if he is. All I've got are faint ideas swirling in my head. :D

lillian3.jpg

Part Nine

Bradley entered the Winchester apprehensively. He took a quick look around, hoping to see the girl that had mesmerised him on the street. He was about to simply give up and go back to talking about military history with his father when he finally noticed her.

She was coming down the stairs from the guest rooms. It was impossible to leave the Winchester without using them. Bradley’s heart stopped. He was just as dumbfounded as earlier that day. He summoned every ounce of energy he had, and walked determinedly toward the girl.

He stopped right in front of her, suddenly very self-conscious of the fact he was in uniform. She looked at him for a while, expecting Bradley to be able to open his mouth. It gaped a little, but not a single sound came out.

“Can I go outside, or should I be worried I have a British officer in my way?” she asked him.

Bradley finally managed to form his thoughts into speech.

“There’s nothing to be worried about. I just...” he managed before words failed him again. He stepped out of her way, feeling the blood rush to his cheeks. She didn’t move.

“Are you trying to get a date?” she asked, putting her face intoxicatingly close to his.

“I... I guess so...”

“Well you’re going to have to ask my dad about that”.

“I am?”

“Yes”.

Bradley felt something lurch inside his stomach. He had to speak to her father too? He began feeling a little dizzy. He tried to open up his collar a bit. It was beginning to choke him. She obviously picked up on his stress, and offered him a bone.

“My dad loves war stories more than anything else. He wishes he had been in the trenches during the Great War, but he was just too young. I trust it would also help if you knew my name”.

“Yes. That would really help”.

“Lillian” she said, finally exiting the Winchester.

Bradley exhaled deeply as she turned the corner toward the train station. He stood there for a while before noticing the silence in the pub. He turned around to see most of Dunmow’s men looking at him, mischievous smiles on their faces. Bradley walked to the counter in silence.

“Could I have a beer Mr. Robertson?” he asked.

Mr. Robertson took out a bottle of beer.

“You can drink here as long as you don’t go the same way as your father Bradley” he said.

Bradley looked up from the bottle.

“The same way as my father?” he asked incredulously.

“You heard correctly. Jack Ellis has been drinking himself to sleep almost every day for the last six years. I tried to cut off his supply once, but he just drove all the way to Notley. It’s a terrible shame”.

Bradley was aghast.

“Jack Ellis? I’ve lived with him my entire life, and not once have I seen him drink”.

“That’s because he comes once you’re in bed. Poor, poor bastard”.

Last edited:
Alcoholic German spy?
Drinking to cover his spying?

Wow. You've really latched onto this spy thing. :wacko:
Maybe I'll have to alter my half-baked storyline for Jack Ellis, and make him a spy simply to please you. :D

PS. I promise this will be the last time I use a picture that's not actually from the 30's - 40's. :D

Alcoholic German spy?
Drinking to cover his spying?

No its because of the trauma of his brainwashing. I also find it a bit wierd that the son says his father's last name. Conspiracies, conspiracies, this is truly becoming mysterious.

No its because of the trauma of his brainwashing. I also find it a bit wierd that the son says his father's last name. Conspiracies, conspiracies, this is truly becoming mysterious.

Bradley says his last name out of pure shock. 'Tis not everyday you find out your father's an alcoholic. :D

Ohh, I thought he might have been adopted. The good thing about us getting latched onto these theories is that u can really surprise us with coming up with something even more greater and more unexpected. Ohh wait... now we are expecting a surprise... so dont surprise us! Or... no! Do surprise us... Ach, wait I am confused now...

Ohh, I thought he might have been adopted. The good thing about us getting latched onto these theories is that u can really surprise us with coming up with something even more greater and more unexpected. Ohh wait... now we are expecting a surprise... so dont surprise us! Or... no! Do surprise us... Ach, wait I am confused now...

:rofl:

Thank you for reminding me to hide the keys to the Spoilermobile. :D

I realized that I had made the mistake of assuming September 1st 1938 was a Monday. :p I checked on a website, and turns out it was a Thursday, so dates have been changed to reflect that. :cool:

Oh, and Enewald: I hereby knight you as Sir Enewald, OLIR, Knight of the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert. :D