+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Age of Colonialism Event/Decision Discussion

Age of Colonialism Event/Decision Discussion

This thread is for the discussion of Age of Colonialism events and decisions. This includes events/decisions that are currently in the game and suggestions for future ones.

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Regarding the agricultural reform decisions: maybe make it a single decision that only encourages the lowest agricultural innovation that hasn't been encourage. This makes the process simpler. Maybe making the cost increase per tech would also make it better as it's a nobrainer at the moment. Late-game innovations would. So if I start in 1836 I can only encourage A. Once I encourage it B becomes available if I have it researched. Making the name shorter 'Agricultural Reform' would also make it look prettier than a long sentence it is now.

Additionally I'd like to see events that change the life rating of a province. As liferating isn't just an indicator of colonizability but also population growth so it should be dynamic. Perhaps have events that are tied to province population size and medical techs that raise the liferating of certain provinces such as urban provinces and colonized provinces. Until the second half of the 19th century most cities didn't grow because of births but because of immigration. Only after the increase of hygiene did these cities grow because of births. So after a province reaches a certain amount of inhabitants and has the required amount of medical techs, it gets a modifier that raises the liferating from 35 to 40. The next stage has higher tech requirements and higher population requirements. It adds another 5. This happens until we get to 50 which is the highest liferating I've come across in the scenario files.
    For colonial provinces a terrain, population and sea adjacency are the requirements for it to increase a certain amount (this means that the logical places like Lagos will get to 35 while the inland jungle liferatings will remain low).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRobau View Post
    Regarding the agricultural reform decisions: maybe make it a single decision that only encourages the lowest agricultural innovation that hasn't been encourage. This makes the process simpler. Maybe making the cost increase per tech would also make it better as it's a nobrainer at the moment. Late-game innovations would. So if I start in 1836 I can only encourage A. Once I encourage it B becomes available if I have it researched. Making the name shorter 'Agricultural Reform' would also make it look prettier than a long sentence it is now.

Additionally I'd like to see events that change the life rating of a province. As liferating isn't just an indicator of colonizability but also population growth so it should be dynamic. Perhaps have events that are tied to province population size and medical techs that raise the liferating of certain provinces such as urban provinces and colonized provinces. Until the second half of the 19th century most cities didn't grow because of births but because of immigration. Only after the increase of hygiene did these cities grow because of births. So after a province reaches a certain amount of inhabitants and has the required amount of medical techs, it gets a modifier that raises the liferating from 35 to 40. The next stage has higher tech requirements and higher population requirements. It adds another 5. This happens until we get to 50 which is the highest liferating I've come across in the scenario files.
    For colonial provinces a terrain, population and sea adjacency are the requirements for it to increase a certain amount (this means that the logical places like Lagos will get to 35 while the inland jungle liferatings will remain low).
    If I understand you correctly, make the agricultural decisions for the two trees, power and mechanization, linked to a single decision tree rather than two decision trees. Yes, we can do that. The cost for the decision is only really there for flavor, for researching the agricultural tech you're supposed to always get the effects in your capital immediately. That way the tech can emanate out from your capital. There is also no good way of linking cost for the decision to overall nation income, and I wouldn't want to penalize smaller countries for getting agricultural tech in their capital region.

Including life rating increases under certain circumstances might not be a bad idea. I don't think they should be commonplace as that could imbalance the map. We will consider this for future.

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

That's what I meant yes.

Regarding the liferating, it would require a redoing of the liferating in a lot of province files. But once that's done it should work. There are a lot of people, including me that have done research for mods that redoing the liferating all across the world wouldn't be that gargantuan a task. In terms of balance population growth will be slow as it should be at first and increase during the latter parts of the game as it was IRL and for every 15 liferating province there'd be a 45 to balance it out. I think it'd work.

Another idea would be some new random disaster events. Tornados, earthquakes and hurricanes really had an impact on individual provinces and regions. It was't just the big ones like Krakatoa.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Any plans for colonization? Specifically, to nudge colonizers towards the areas they historically colonized. I'm not suggesting railroading them slavishly, only events that establishes footholds in the regions. For example: as it stands now Germany will never establish their Pacific protectorate, same for Britain and the Aden protectorate.

I've alleviated part of this problem by modifying regions to encourage historical borders and making a few choice events like decisions to establish the Aden protectorate and demanding the Thai borderlands. Would any of this be within the scope of this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by bitmapmedivh View Post
    Any plans for colonization? Specifically, to nudge colonizers towards the areas they historically colonized. I'm not suggesting railroading them slavishly, only events that establishes footholds in the regions. For example: as it stands now Germany will never establish their Pacific protectorate, same for Britain and the Aden protectorate.

I've alleviated part of this problem by modifying regions to encourage historical borders and making a few choice events like decisions to establish the Aden protectorate and demanding the Thai borderlands. Would any of this be within the scope of this mod?
    To a very limited extent, yes. The next version will include an event chain leading to the opium wars which will see Britain declaring war on China partially to protect its opium trade and partially to gain the province of Hong Kong.

Other similar events leading to the establishment of particular concessions can certainly be considered.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're a MTTH of months = 1 instead of days = 1 for the naval events? As I haven't done too much with modding I don't know if there's some kind of performance hit involved there, but it seems like the kind of thing you'd want to be reasonably responsive (mostly at game start, where you can go quite a while without seeing the event fire at all).

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    When you invent Steamers you get an event boosting output in all Fish-producing RGOs. Maybe there should be an event that would slowly spread new modern steamer fishing vessels in such provinces over a couple of years?
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

BL-logic
    Event Team Leader
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold War
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitione Terna View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there any reason you're a MTTH of months = 1 instead of days = 1 for the naval events? As I haven't done too much with modding I don't know if there's some kind of performance hit involved there, but it seems like the kind of thing you'd want to be reasonably responsive (mostly at game start, where you can go quite a while without seeing the event fire at all).
    I am guessing it is so that you aren't spammed with distracting naval events during a devastating naval battle. If your whole navy is destroyed in a long naval battle, with days = 1 you would receive a number of naval events during the battle each time your number of ships falls below a threshold. With months = 1 you should only receive one naval event at the end of the battle (as long as the battle doesn't last a whole month).
    Game Developer East vs West - Event&Decision Team Leader
    Unless stated otherwise, the content of the above post is my personal opinion only.

Utilities:
    Victoria 2 Pop Maker Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Order Of Battle Maker Utility:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Savegame Analyser Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?638277-Victoria-2-AHD-Savegame-Analyser

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    When you invent Steamers you get an event boosting output in all Fish-producing RGOs. Maybe there should be an event that would slowly spread new modern steamer fishing vessels in such provinces over a couple of years?
    Because it is a specific trade good I couldn't do a state by state spread like I did for farming tech, meaning it would have to be province by province and that is very, very event spammy.

I would like to add it to the tech spread, but I can't figure a good way without making a lot of event spam.

I am guessing it is so that you aren't spammed with distracting naval events during a devastating naval battle. If your whole navy is destroyed in a long naval battle, with days = 1 you would receive a number of naval events during the battle each time your number of ships falls below a threshold. With months = 1 you should only receive one naval event at the end of the battle (as long as the battle doesn't last a whole month).
    I didn't do it with any intention in mind, but kalelovil makes a good point.

Rizz, maybe you can use province flag (instead of province modifier itself) to check spreading. Haven't tried it myself, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    Rizz, maybe you can use province flag (instead of province modifier itself) to check spreading. Haven't tried it myself, though.
    There needs to be an event to place the province flag, and province flags can't be used as modifiers?

The only thing I can think of is having an event trigger when the fishing invention is discovered that gives all provinces that produce fish a negative rgo output (that would cancel out the invention) that lasts an pre-set amount of time and then flagging those provinces as having been checked. Then, if a new province without the flag gets conquered, apply that event to those provinces (in other words the ones not flagged).

But it will just be a pre-set amount of time not related to literacy, plurality etc

BL-logic
    Event Team Leader
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold War
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

A few related ideas:

The steamer transport invention giving a bonus to immigration to states it spreads to.
    Have states which are far away from the capital start with rgo penalties equal to the refridgeration invention which are then cancelled out when refridgeration is invented and spreads to those states.
    Game Developer East vs West - Event&Decision Team Leader
    Unless stated otherwise, the content of the above post is my personal opinion only.

Utilities:
    Victoria 2 Pop Maker Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Order Of Battle Maker Utility:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Maker-Utility
    Victoria 2 Savegame Analyser Utility: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?638277-Victoria-2-AHD-Savegame-Analyser

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzmond View Post
    There needs to be an event to place the province flag, and province flags can't be used as modifiers?

The only thing I can think of is having an event trigger when the fishing invention is discovered that gives all provinces that produce fish a negative rgo output (that would cancel out the invention) that lasts an pre-set amount of time and then flagging those provinces as having been checked. Then, if a new province without the flag gets conquered, apply that event to those provinces (in other words the ones not flagged).

But it will just be a pre-set amount of time not related to literacy, plurality etc
    Simply remove the effect of that invention, as you've done to various rgo mechanization inventions, and spread the modifier as usual. Of course, the actual spread is checked by province flag, and modifier is applied to fish producing province with flag only.

Simply remove the effect of that invention, as you've done to various rgo mechanization inventions, and spread the modifier as usual. Of course, the actual spread is checked by province flag, and modifier is applied to fish producing province with flag only.
    I'm not understanding the purpose of province flags in this situation.

Anyways, I figured a way to do state by state spread like so:

Code:
    country_event = {
    	id = 29907
    	title = "EVTNAME29907"
    	desc = "EVTDESC29907"

trigger = {
    		invention = mechanized_fishing_vessels
    		any_owned_province = {
    			not = { has_province_modifier = steamer_fising }
    			trade_goods = fish
    		}
    	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
    		months = x
    	}

option = {
    		name = "EVTOPTA29907"
    		random_owned = {
    			limit = {
    				trade_goods = fish
    				not = {
    					has_province_modifier = steamer_fising
    				}
    			}
    			state_scope = {
    				any_owned = {
    					limit = {
    						trade_goods = fish
    					}
    					add_province_modifier = {
    						name = steamer_fising
    						duration = -1
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }
    The question is, should we be devoting a whole new state by state tech spread to a single resource?

When I talk about "spread", I mean spread like in earlier version of AoC (1.2, I haven't check your newer ones yet). In that case you need province flag to mark out which state is already "spread"-ed, since province without fish obviously doesn't have the modifier.

Personally I won't mind each invention has its own spread, though some may feel it a bit event spammy.

When I talk about "spread", I mean spread like in earlier version of AoC (1.2, I haven't check your newer ones yet). In that case you need province flag to mark out which state is already "spread"-ed, since province without fish obviously doesn't have the modifier.
    Ah, I now understand what you mean but that wouldn't be necessary. In a province event, just have the trigger look for a fish producing province without the modifier and then have the effect limited to applying it to fish producing provinces in that state.

I'm not sure if this is because I'm using AOC on a Mac or not, but AOC election events, like "hands off professor" have their names all lower case, which looks a little awkward.
    Otherwise, loving the mod!

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The "Embrace Westernism" decision is now brutally unfair, 70% literacy is too high for many uncivilized nations to reach until extreamely late in the game. Please change the requirement to something else, lower it, add events that fire improveing the growth of literacy in provences like "Missionary Schools" or "Embrace Western School Tradition", or finally restrict the requirement to over X amount of literacy in a single state/region. I like the idea of westernization being a focused long term effort (which is how it should be), but currently i feel the bar is set a little high.
    Last edited by M4j. Maniacal; 08-03-2011 at 08:06.

Clicking away the "They will trade near and far!" and "They shall pay their fair share!" Gets annoying after a while when playing with countries that have many national focuses.

+ Reply to Thread