• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks!

This diary will be a bit on the short side due to the frenzy at the office this week, but since it recently came up on the forum, I thought I'd say a little bit about regnal numbers. One of the nice little touches in Europa Universalis III (and its predecessors) is that kings have proper regnal numbers. This feature was missing from the original Crusader Kings, but I am pleased to announce that it will be fully implemented in Crusader Kings II. The way it works is that the first names of actual scripted holders in the character database are counted for each landed title at game start. Regnal numbers are only displayed for Dukes and above, which includes the Pope (a kingdom tier title.) The Holy Father, however, is a bit special in that he changes name on accession. So, a character named, say, Étienne Aubert could get the name Innocent VI if he became Pope.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Regnal Numbers.jpg

Somewhat related to regnal numbers is the state of a character at the time of death. In Crusader Kings II, you can browse back through dead characters and see exactly which titles they held and what regnal number they had. I'll leave you with some extra screenshots while you're waiting for the next dev diary, which will be about our beautiful new map. Failing unexpected delays, it should be posted on february 4.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Vassal Opinions.jpg
Crusader Kings II Alpha - North Sea.jpg

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

simply beatifull, minor nitpick though, is under the character screen apears to be the rulers claims and it still looks as cluttered as in CK1, can this pretty please be improved? [puts up puppy eyes]

I would say its because the son is a duke and the counts that should belong to that duchy (historically) are actually vassals of the king instead of the duke since the king probably did not transfer vassalage of said counties to his son after making him duke.

I thought this too when I saw it, and if true, it's certainly proper. It always seemed a little gamey to me to have lots of one-province duchies in CK just to maximize prestige generation, yet leave the dukes as nothing but a more fancy kind of counts. A duke who isn't landed like a proper duke should be a bit pensive about it.

And as for actual dynasty-specific heraldry, I salute you, Paradox! I thought back in the days of CK that it would be neat, but thought versatile heraldry would be too much to program. Apparently I was wrong, let's hope so ;)

In the second screenshot, a vassal is shown to dislike her liege because of "liege of de jure vassal". What does that mean?

"De jure vassal" seems to refer to granting one-county duchies to your children or other courtiers without giving them the whole duchy. Example here, giving the heir apparent the Duchy of Cornwall without all the earls that belong to that duchy. IIRC, in CK1 there were three counties in that duchy, but commonly the AI would make one of the counts duke, while keeping the other two earls direct vassals of the crown. In CK2, one of the cool, subtle things will be that dukes will now get aggravated with this setup.

In some counties there are more than just one (capital?)"settlement" displayed, is itn gonna stay like this? All the settlements in a region being displayed on the map? Because.... I like it!! How about other improvements like road system and castle, will they be represented on the map?

Minor nitpick:

The dead characters look too much "alive". The skull icon does not do it for me.

Is there a chance that dead characters could look more, you know, dead?? Like, with their eyes closed? With the sort of saintly look you have on relief carvings or statues?

Something like this:
edwardeffigy.jpg

henry2b.jpg

There should never be any confusion over which character on any given interface is still alive, and which one is dead. :)

It's already been said... but there is just one word to convey my feelings : awesome... the screens, the regnal numbers, the papal name,.... really truely awesome !

Question : Will the regnal number be tied to the title ? like (example out of CK-era, i know) good king Henri... who was Henri III of Navarre and Henri IV of France ?
If yes, will we be able to see the different regnal numbers for each title of the caracter ?

It's already been said... but there is just one word to convey my feelings : awesome... the screens, the regnal numbers, the papal name,.... really truely awesome !

Question : Will the regnal number be tied to the title ? like (example out of CK-era, i know) good king Henri... who was Henri III of Navarre and Henri IV of France ?
If yes, will we be able to see the different regnal numbers for each title of the caracter ?

seeing as how the son of edward III of england is also called edward III as the duke of cornwall I think yes

Adult female icons look identical from one another. Are they temporary placeholders until facial features are expanded to include female faces?