• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again folks!

This diary will be a bit on the short side due to the frenzy at the office this week, but since it recently came up on the forum, I thought I'd say a little bit about regnal numbers. One of the nice little touches in Europa Universalis III (and its predecessors) is that kings have proper regnal numbers. This feature was missing from the original Crusader Kings, but I am pleased to announce that it will be fully implemented in Crusader Kings II. The way it works is that the first names of actual scripted holders in the character database are counted for each landed title at game start. Regnal numbers are only displayed for Dukes and above, which includes the Pope (a kingdom tier title.) The Holy Father, however, is a bit special in that he changes name on accession. So, a character named, say, Étienne Aubert could get the name Innocent VI if he became Pope.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Regnal Numbers.jpg

Somewhat related to regnal numbers is the state of a character at the time of death. In Crusader Kings II, you can browse back through dead characters and see exactly which titles they held and what regnal number they had. I'll leave you with some extra screenshots while you're waiting for the next dev diary, which will be about our beautiful new map. Failing unexpected delays, it should be posted on february 4.

Crusader Kings II Alpha - Vassal Opinions.jpg
Crusader Kings II Alpha - North Sea.jpg

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead

You are also aware that the focus of the game is on Europe, and the "Crusader Kings" - you did read the title of the game?

Also, in Victoria and Victoria II, you are only allowed to play Britain during the rule of a certain queen...

[/sarcasm]

Also, in Victoria and Victoria II, you are only allowed to play Britain during the rule of a certain queen...

[/sarcasm]

And in Heart of Iron you are unable to play a country ruled by Arthur Neville Chamberlain :D

I would hope that what I meant was fairly obvious.
The game should focus around the concept of the kings (and nobles) of europe, some of whom will go on crusade. There is a limit to how far east the map should extend, as if you go too far, especially if these places contain playable countries, it risks diluting the core concept of the game.

Whilst it would be nice to have playable, and well built muslim countries, it should not lead to countries beyond the crusading zone being looked for. Unfortunately, to model the muslim states correctly, you would need to look at their eastern neighbours, and if you make the muslims playable, why not make these playable as well? And then why not their eastern neighbours? And so on, until you reach China and Japan. At that point, where is the "Crusader Kings" flavour?

However, we are now far from the discussion of regnal numbers...

But that then leads to the question "Why isn't X country in the game and playable?" - exactly the same as the question that was asked regarding the more distant muslim ones.

I don't know what is planned for the next dev diary, but I would like to know a little bit more about ambitions and plots, if possible.
May I ask why Vladimir hated Leto? :D

I don't know what is planned for the next dev diary, but I would like to know a little bit more about ambitions and plots, if possible.
May I ask why Vladimir hated Leto? :D

I'll hold off on that one until the interface is done. Don't hold your breath please. :)

The near-constant contact, the teases or the blunt sincerity? :D

Brilliant diary. But why is Edward III's son is also named Edward III? Shouldn't he be the fourth one?

The younger Edward is the third man named Edward who is duke of Cornwall. Regnal numbers are attached to the title. In time, he will become Edward IV of England.

Btw, the next diary is supposed to come out on Thursday, yes?