+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 4 - Regnal Numbers

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 4 - Regnal Numbers

Hello again folks!

This diary will be a bit on the short side due to the frenzy at the office this week, but since it recently came up on the forum, I thought I'd say a little bit about regnal numbers. One of the nice little touches in Europa Universalis III (and its predecessors) is that kings have proper regnal numbers. This feature was missing from the original Crusader Kings, but I am pleased to announce that it will be fully implemented in Crusader Kings II. The way it works is that the first names of actual scripted holders in the character database are counted for each landed title at game start. Regnal numbers are only displayed for Dukes and above, which includes the Pope (a kingdom tier title.) The Holy Father, however, is a bit special in that he changes name on accession. So, a character named, say, Étienne Aubert could get the name Innocent VI if he became Pope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crusader Kings II Alpha - Regnal Numbers.jpg
Views:	21522
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	31157

Somewhat related to regnal numbers is the state of a character at the time of death. In Crusader Kings II, you can browse back through dead characters and see exactly which titles they held and what regnal number they had. I'll leave you with some extra screenshots while you're waiting for the next dev diary, which will be about our beautiful new map. Failing unexpected delays, it should be posted on february 4.

Name:	Crusader Kings II Alpha - Vassal Opinions.jpg
Views:	20432
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	31158

Name:	Crusader Kings II Alpha - North Sea.jpg
Views:	14093
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	31159

Henrik Fåhraeus, Associate Producer and CKII Project Lead
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

This looks great, it will be great to be able to follow your dynasty throughout the game.

Crazy Cat Person. Meow! Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    61 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - Immortals
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    SengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Looks great DD. The ability to browse through dead characters will no doubt be of great help to AARland inhabitants.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    The Kings CrusadeMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

great as always, makes the new year better

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

A fully rotatable 3D map as in Rome? Cool.
    Alaska: Like Finland, but with less death metal and a lot more Republicans

King: "As Vic2 development came close to completion we have to think about what the hell will we do next? We picked CK2 after Doomdark had a vision of the Little Baby Jesus and he was crying because there was no CK2."

¡Por qué no te callas! Moderator Txini's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Gijón, Kingdom of Asturias, Spanish Empire
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    Somewhat related to regnal numbers is the state of a character at the time of death. In Crusader Kings II, you can browse back through dead characters and see exactly which titles they held and what regnal number they had. I'll leave you with some extra screenshots while you're waiting for the next dev diary, which will be about our beautiful new map. Failing unexpected delays, it should be posted on february 4.
    What happens with people who had been deposed or abdicated before their deaths? For example Emperor Isaakios I Komnenos
    Hay quien ha venido al mundo para enamorarse de una sola y determinada mujer, y consecuentemente, no es probable que tropiece con ella.-José Ortega y Gasset

Ven a Ierusalem y sigue las aventuras de los Judíos contra el Yugo Romano. - Votaciones Aquí - terminado

¡Ahora, ahora, ahora Quini ahora!

Wheee, map screens. The angled view of the last one is fascinating. Is that only for development purposes?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    Looks very promising.
    As a statistics-fan this feature is surely a must for me.

I am very confident that CKII will be the "next step" in Paradox Interactive Games.

So check 1 of 9999999 fulfilled

Go ahead PI

One question: (okay two)
    The last screen shows in the middle bottom the boronies of Uppland.
    Is it planned to have some flavour pics in there for cities, castles etc. or at least modable?
    I assume the shields will be linked to the diplomacy screen, is it possible to display some general information in this window (loyality etc.)?
    Last one
    In some counties there are more than just one (capital?)"settlement" displayed...
    Is this because of "work in progress" or are there special rules?
    Last edited by Tyson_48; 13-01-2011 at 15:44.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

So we know at least one of the traits in CKII - "Diligent". I wonder if this is equivalent to the Energetic trait from CK1?
    Looking closer, I can also see that Edward III has three icons that might represent traits on his sheet, and (looking closer still) two of these icons have a number inside them. Could these numbers represent different degrees of a trait? "Diligent 5" being more diligent than "Diligent 3"?

What else can we see from these screenshots? Well there are definitely many more provinces in England and Wales than there were in CK1. We can also see a new ability to zoom the camera right down to an almost horizontal view. I like that. Will we be able to rotate the camera also?
    I would also guess that the Baronies in the provinces will be represented by 2d artwork rather than 3d renders, judging by that last screenshot. I like that, the 3d town renders were never very interesting in EU3 and just took up space.
    I'm guessing Uppland contains three towns, one church and one castle, with one unused barony "slot"?

We can see at the top of Edward III's character sheet icons for wealth, prestige, piety and... any speculation on what that foruth icon might represent? I can't think of anything obvious that a shield surmounted by a crown could stand for.
    Last edited by Kaleidoscope; 13-01-2011 at 15:47.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Thanks! Looks great. I can't wait to play this game

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    Wheee, map screens. The angled view of the last one is fascinating. Is that only for development purposes?
    The map can be rotated freely, much as in Rome (though better.)
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope View Post
    I would also guess that the Baronies in the provinces will be represented by 2d artwork rather than 3d renders, judging by that last screenshot. I like that, the 3d town renders were never very interesting in EU3 and just took up space.
    I'm guessing Uppland contains three towns, one church and one castle, with one unused barony "slot"?
    Just be careful with drawing conclusions, this is still a pre-alpha.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Looks really nice. But does anyone else but me think the church and its tower in screenie 3 look too "baroque" for the Middle ages?
    Read my first AAR: Wittelsbach- A CK AAR
    http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...d.php?t=293636

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldVictoria 2500k club

I am impressed!

Also, a question: What is the CoA displayed below Edward's portrait in the first screenshot? Is that his demesne's CoA?

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

I'm not enthused by the map-rotating à la Rome, but the map itself sure does look nice!

The faces are a bit bland, though, but I'm sure you're still working on that.
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Oh hey look - the Political Mapmode presumably is our first view of the entire minimap? Is that confirmation of how much of the world we'll get to see? Looks like we can go a little bit further south and east than in CK1

The faces are a bit bland, though, but I'm sure you're still working on that.
    I think that might be because all the facial features are quite small, leaving large expanses of generic flesh. I bet increasing the size of all features by about 5-10% would make a big difference.
    I bet they are just placeholders though - there's clearly only one female portrait at the moment, if the screenshot is anything to go by.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Quote Originally Posted by Tambourmajor View Post
    I am impressed!

Also, a question: What is the CoA displayed below Edward's portrait in the first screenshot? Is that his demesne's CoA?
    That is the (currently randomly generated) Dynasty CoA. Important dynasties like the Plantagenets will get proper pre-scripted ones eventually.
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Also, there is a new thing in the top bar! Money, Prestige, Piety, and a shield with a crown on it? Legitimacy?
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

This game is going to be epic...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast