• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Episode 15: Wild West and Wild East

Like any good episode, this one starts with a new war. Once again Bihar has declared war on Bengal and Bengal called us to arms in January 1612.

1612-02-04warsituation.png

As you can see, this war is basically a war between India and the Far East. All the better for us, the more targets the merrier. With our massive tech lead, the only challenge is to see how quickly I can conquer territory. In april I force-convert and vassalize Lan Na. In May Lan Xang is vassalized. In August I manage a white peace with Vijayanagar and Rajputana. While my corps rip through Bihar territory, we reach Land tech level 27 in April 1613. We can now build conscription centres, the level 6 Land building. I build them in my 15 provinces with level 5 Land buildings.

In June we get a great advisor event. This is nice because it offers a +2 stability option, which helps with offsetting the -3 stability hit from switching National Ideas. I often use this event to switch Ideas. So I switch Church Attendance for Battlefield Commissions. Our income is so good that regaining stability is no longer a problem and I want to strengthen militarily. I like having good generals, so I really like Battlefield Commissions. Military Drill and perhaps Grand Army are better National Ideas, but I prefer Battlefield Commissions for the fun factor.

1614-06-19Biharisdefeated.png

Anyway, in June 1614, after again about 30 months we have defeated Bihar once again, only leaving 2.000 soldiers to defend their ragged empire. I force them to give up all cores on foreign provinces and force-convert to Confucianism. Hopefully the removal of cores prevents future Biharrian wars, bringing peace in our time.

At the same time, we are requested to renovate a pagoda, which I refuses, thereby removing 5 influence from the Bureaucrats. This means that the Eunuchs are able to take over.

faction_take_over_bur_eun.png

With the Eunuchs in power, our North American colony is expanded. To facilitate this, I move our National Focus to Zacatecas.

1615-07-03nationalfocusinamerica.png

As you can see, the Aztec nation has been annexed by Great Britain. Too bad, as I wanted those nice gold provinces. Guess I will have to request them later. With the new patch the National Focus has once again become important. In Divine Wind, with the removal of most province decisions, the National Focus was only usefull for a couple of things, most importantly the "Formalize scales etc." decision. But with 5.1b, if you build something near a National Focus, you get the magistrate back when the building finishes! This is a great bonus, which I intend to take maximal advantage of.

Anyway, in December 1615 we get another election, but yet again I keep the current Doge, as he has such nice ADM and DIP scores (close to each other, too). I want to build up the American colonies, for which he is excellent.

So I increase trade and colonize further and further. In February 1617 Bohemia enacts another Imperial reform:

1617-02-23hrereform.png

Only 3 reforms left! And as you can see, the Holy Roman Empire is quite large, so a unified HRE will be a major power and quite a challenge for me.

1617-03-21mapofeurope.png

To clarify the situation in Europe, here's a map. Lithuania has lost some wars and has shed some nations. Austria, despite being declared war upon for many decades because of its Dishounorable Scum status, has only grown stronger. Spain (sorry, Castille) has expanded into Northern Germany even more. In April we get another domestic slider move, which I use to move towards Free Trade, which helps with dominating trade even more.

In November 1619 I create the first new Centre of Trade in New Shanghai (a renamed province west to Zacatecas), so that I can monopolize the trade in the Chinese colonies.

1620-01-29Chinesecolonies.png

With the annexation of Aztec, our only colonial neighbour now is Great Britain. Note that they have established colonies in the northwest, thereby surrounding me on all sides. We also get another election, in which I finally choose another candidate, a Bureaucrat one, as I want to build some more. Luckily, I het a ADM 7 MIL 6 DIP 4 Doge and in September 1620 the Bureaucrats take over.

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

I start building level 1 forts and trade buildings in the colonies, with all the new trade buildings constructed around the National Focus. Even the random numbers engine gets into a building mood, as I get a prospering times event which gives me a Fine Arts Academy.

The years go by with building many buildings, which I happily continue with keeping our nice Doge in the 1623 elections. But a 10 year long peace is shattered when in 1624 Bengal once again calls us to arms! While I already direct my armies to Bihar, I suddenly see that it's a war against Arakan, a rebel nation which has split from both Bihar and Bengal, who decided to take its territory back. Fortunately for us, I manage to get there first and take Arakan's provinces, force them to become our vassals in June 1625.

1625-03-01Arakanbecomesvassal.png

With the Central Republic enjoying its new peace, this episode closes in October 1626.

Stats

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1610	1620	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	86	96	10		12%		42		78%
Yearly income		5.990	8.261	2.271		38%		7.423		886%
Yearly income/province	69,7	86,1	16,4		24%		70,5		455%
Inflation		0,2	0,4	0,2		N/A		0,4		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	239	425	186		78%		340		400%
Army Size		103	101	-2		-2%		62		159%
Navy size		61	81	20		33%		32		65%

Yes, the yearly income has indeed risen from about 6000/year to a staggering 8200/year. The main reason is yet again trade. Let's take a look at the Nanjing Centre of Trade, the red line indicating the border of the trade area:

1620-01-29tradeinNanjing.png

Behold the power of total monopolies (7+ merchants spots in a CoT): the Nanjing CoT provides about 25% of our total income. To put this into context: our trade income from the Nanjing CoT is more that the total income of Minamoto (1798/year) and is close to Austria's income (2597/year). However, I don't expect this heavenly income to continue, as 7+ monopolies in Divine Wind tend to break apart, even with a 99% compete chance. Still, I enjoy this while it lasts.

Another spectacular rise in manpower, which has almost doubled in the last decade. This can be explained by the construction of lots of conscription centres, which give +5000 manpower apiece which is also increase by the other Land buildings.

Lastly we can see the expansion of Chinese North America with 10 new colonies.

Next episode:
1626-10-08Francedowsusagain.png

Excellent post! I'm glad you had the time to write some more! :)
I aim to please :)

Sweet update. It seems the 1600s are going to be the Chinese century.
Thanks. I will try to make the 1600s as Chinese as possible :p

This is awesome! I've given some thought to playing an Asian nation with DW, but I had originally thought of Japan. You might have changed my mind :)
Nice to hear this AAR has inspired you.

Very dynamic. I assume there will be the second war with France. In Asia you have no competitors now. So I hope more Europeans will hmm... come to 'occupy your time' :)
As you might have noticed in Episode 15, yep, there is another French war coming our way. One cookie for you for precognitive ability :) And don't worry, there will be more friendly Chinese-European contact in the future.

Yes, update, nicely done against france.
I must admit, I'm quite proud of my victories there. It's seldom that I manage to win against superior numbers and I managed to defeat a force almost twice as big as mine and completely annihilate it. Too bad my brave 5th Corps was wiped out by the next French Expeditionary Force.

Can't wait to see how this war will play out. Although seeing how powerful China is, I have no doubts it'll emerge victorious. Is there anything worth taking from France though? I doubt if you could grab a European province from them, do they have any colonies left?

That's an impressive monopoly! Nicely done...though the BBB seems eager for revenge. Should be a hard fight ahead of you!

Can't wait to see how this war will play out. Although seeing how powerful China is, I have no doubts it'll emerge victorious. Is there anything worth taking from France though? I doubt if you could grab a European province from them, do they have any colonies left?
France has annexed Inca and has colonies in the North of South America and in the Carribean. Problem with taking these colonies, however, is that they cost a lot of Infamy as I do not have a Casus Belli for them.

I can promise you though that this war will have some surprising turns.

That's an impressive monopoly! Nicely done...though the BBB seems eager for revenge. Should be a hard fight ahead of you!
The war was indeed the most difficult one so far.

Last edited:
Hmm, perhaps I have missed something-- which province of yours is a French core?
I expect the second Sino-French war will be a greater victory to China, but then, in game mechanics, hard to get the war score high without invading Europe. And I'm doubtful about your projection power to succeed in that. If it takes six months to reach Mexico, probably longer for France, and short of building 75-90 transports I doubt that an invading force can survive in French territory...
Oh!, the suspense!

Did you do some editing to add China in the game, or is there a decision for that in DW?

Dange, france strikes again, cna you handle it?
I hope so, otherwise the AAR is over :p

Hmm, perhaps I have missed something-- which province of yours is a French core?
I expect the second Sino-French war will be a greater victory to China, but then, in game mechanics, hard to get the war score high without invading Europe. And I'm doubtful about your projection power to succeed in that. If it takes six months to reach Mexico, probably longer for France, and short of building 75-90 transports I doubt that an invading force can survive in French territory...
Oh!, the suspense!
Tohancapan is France's target. I am not sure how France got a core on it, but they had a colony next to Tohancapan, so maybe France got a core on it with Border Conflict or another event like that.

It's difficult to get +70 transports, as under Bureaucrats or Temple factions I almost maxed my naval limit.

Did you do some editing to add China in the game, or is there a decision for that in DW?
I just edited the name of the MNG tag from "Ming" to "China" and changed the colour and flag. It's all modded by me, there is no ingame way to form China AFAIK. I changed Ming into China after becoming a republic in 1559, as it no longer did make sense to call the country Ming.

Episode 16: A world at war

So once again we at at war with France, the second most advanced great nation in the world. Our alliance has about 200.000 soldiers, while France on its own has the same amount! Luckily, while France has the same amount of transports and Light Ships as our alliances does, we have 58 Big Ships versus France's 14, meaning that we have effectively naval superiority.

The French war is not spectacular, however. After some battles with the French invasion force, they settle for a white peace in 1628 already, which is a bit odd seeing the normal stubborness of the A.I. in negotiating peace.

I'm all to happy with this quick war, as it frees us to start another war. In 1627 a literati publishes, which we condemn, leading to the Temple Faction taking over.

faction_take_over_eun_tem.png

So now we can start a war, something we haven't done since 1592. But before I can start one, I receive one: in July 1628 Bengal once again calls us to arms against Bihar! I send the troops westward once again.

As Bihar is a non-threat, I continue the plans for war and declare Colonial War upon Great Britain in October.

1629-09-08Northamericabeforewar.png

Their colonies in the north-west and the east coast of North America stand in my way to get all of North America. I hope to get all their north-west colonies, as none of them are cities yet and thus can be seized outside of peace negotiations, their Aztec possessions and some of their east coast colonies.

However, I first have to defeat the British, which isn't that simple as they call in their allies Castille, Lithuania, the Hansa and Northumberland. Luckily, GB is also at war with the Ottomans and friends and with the Holy Roman Emperor Bohemia and its allies.

Also, in the same month, Japan declares a war of reconquest on us!

1629-10-14Japanesedow.png

So now we are at war with the entirity of India, Japan and half of Europe! The first world war has begun. We have about 120.00 soldiers and 51 Big Ships, while the combined might of our enemies is 288.000 soldiers and 104 Big Ships! By far the most dangerous of our opponents is Great Britain, with its almost-equal tech, 122.00 soldiers and 84 Big Ships, which are strengtened by Excellent Shipwrights and Superior Seamanship. Frankly, the British navy scares me.

In the colonies, three battle corps and one assault corps march into British territory, seizing colonies and assaulting the cities. Each of the battle corps have been reinforced with 6 artillery corps each, as I expect an intense war with the British. Two assault corps advance quickly as usual towards the Bihar capital. Two battle corps are send to Minamoto-controlled Vietnam. The remaining two battle corps defend the Chinese homelands from any surprise invasions or rebellions.

In 1630 I get a free domestic slider move, which I used to slide towards Aristocracy to strengthen the Bureaucrats. In October I sign a peace with Bihar, forcing them to give up 3 foreign cores. Meanwhile Minamoto's SE Asian territory is overrun by my vassals with only limited help from our forces.

In 1631 I side with the diplomat candidate in the elections, getting a ADM 3 DIP 5 MIL 9 leader. A shame, as I do not expect to start another war anytime soon.

1631-07-23tohancapanonceagain.png

On a more positive note, I manage to annihilate 14 British regiments in Tohancapan, further cementing its role as the graveyard of armies. In the northwest theatre of war there is little combat but a lot of seizing colonies by both sizes, as the British have landed some small forces there. The assault corps and the Republic Guard are conquering in the East coast theatre, but find almost no opposition there.

All of Japan's SE Asian territory has been captured by my loyal vassals, but they in return have seized our colony in South Africa. I don't want to make peace until I get that colony back, which takes some time because our transport fleet has to cross both the Pacific and the Indian ocean.

In 1634, I manage to destroy most of Japan's fleet in one naval battle:

1634-09-19fleetdestroyed.png

Even a shock 4 admiral can't make galleys deadly. In the meantime the South African colony has been reseized, so I settle for a nice peace:

1635-08-26Japanpeace.png

As soon as I am at peace, I will release these new provinces to Dai Viet. But peace is still not an option, even with all the British Central and North American colonies (besides the Canadian ones) conquered. So I send troops to conquer the British territory in India. Meanwhile, in 1635 I favor the diplomatic candidate in the elections and am rewarded wuth a ADM7 DIP 8 MIL 3 leader, leading to a Eunuch takeover in may 1636.

faction_take_over_tem_bur.png

Also, excellent diplomacy happens to us, so that we lose 3 of our 13 Infamy point. Yaaaay!

1635-11-07exellentdip.png

Even with their asian colonies taken, the British will not sign any peace treaty I care to offer them, let alone one favourable to me. I succeed in infiltrating the British administration and see that only a couple of regiments protect the British isles! So I decide to invade the British Isles in order to increase the warscore.

I obtain military access to Wales and ship a battle corps and an assault corps to Wales, luckily avoiding the enormous British warfleet. In 1637 my armies cross the border. I quickly capture most of south England before GB raises some troops, which are used to slowly siege one of the captured provinces. I only battle small forces (2K-3K each) and asssault city after city until my warscore is high enough to demand a good peace resolution. This ends the first true world war, as the war saw combat in South East Asia, India, Africa (one small one), North America and Europe.

1637-12-12GBpeacenegotiations.png

As one colony in the northwest became a city while under British control, I was unable to seize it and had to demand it in the negotiations. In total 7 provinces are gained with the peace for 10 Infamy points.

In 1638 I release Dai Viet as a vassal. In the 1639 elections I support the Bureaucrat and he turns out to be a ADM 7 DIP 3 MIL 3 leader. This is good, as the colonies desperately need some level 1 forts. In January 1640 the Bureaucrats take over, ending the 16th episode of this AAR.

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

Stats

Code:
			1630	1640	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	101	119	18		18%		65		120%
Yearly income		7.485	7.975	490		7%		7.137		852%
Yearly income/province	74,1	67,0	-7,1		-10%		51,5		332%
Inflation		1,8	1,6	-0,2		N/A		1,6		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	494	496	2		0%		411		484%
Army Size		119	117	-2		-2%		78		200%
Navy size		88	92	4		5%		43		88%
Code:
			1620	1630	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	96	101	5		5%		47		87%
Yearly income		8.261	7.485	-776		-9%		6.647		793%
Yearly income/province	86,1	74,1	-11,9		-14%		58,6		378%
Inflation		0,4	1,8	1,4		N/A		1,8		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	425	494	69		16%		409		481%
Army Size		101	119	18		18%		80		205%
Navy size		81	88	7		9%		39		80%

The Central Republic's territory has grown with almost 25% in two decades, thanks to successfull wars and extensive colonization. An unfortunate side effect is that the economy's quality has dropped a bit, but it is still quite high compared to our rivals. To compare, France, our most advanced rival (only 19 tech levels behind us), has 91 provinces and a yearly income of 3208. This means it has a paltry 34.2 income/province, made even worse by France's inflation of 28%.

Next episode: a new way of playing

Last edited:
A link to TVTropes! Yay!
World War I in 1628-1637! The only weak point of it is that you didn't show us any pictures of invasion of Britain. But one can't have everything...
And also: by being 19 tech levels ahead of competitors you've pretty much already won the game, haven't you? What's your goal now, usual world domination? Cooler world domination by making vassals all over the world and owning all important CoTs? If I were you I'd have made some events about massive civil war just to make AAR look more tense. Ofcourse, I'm not saying that it needs additional tense just after WWI, but if you ever feel that the story lacks something, you'll know what to do ;)

excellent :D i was worried this AAR had died

Great to see it back. A glorious victory!

Those galleys really are useless, even in inland seas....

Nicely done winning World War One/
Go China ^^
Great to see it back. A glorious victory!

Thank you all for your encouraging words.

A link to TVTropes! Yay!
World War I in 1628-1637! The only weak point of it is that you didn't show us any pictures of invasion of Britain. But one can't have everything...
And also: by being 19 tech levels ahead of competitors you've pretty much already won the game, haven't you? What's your goal now, usual world domination? Cooler world domination by making vassals all over the world and owning all important CoTs? If I were you I'd have made some events about massive civil war just to make AAR look more tense. Ofcourse, I'm not saying that it needs additional tense just after WWI, but if you ever feel that the story lacks something, you'll know what to do ;)
Well, some people would say that by playing Ming you've pretty much won, or that when Ming is Westernized the game is basically over. And while I dominate economically and technologically, I haven't the strongest military. GB has one of the weaker land forces of the great powers and it's about equal to mine. Nations like France and Austria have double the army I have. I do have the second strongest navy, but GBs navy outclasses mine by a large margin. Lastly, the faction system still limits my actions to a large degree, making China weaker than other nations with the same economy and military force. So while China is very strong in 1640, it is by no means the only superpower in town.

*EDIT* As for pictures of the invasion of Britain, I just forgot to take screenshots. I just have one and it's not a good one:

1637-05-10invasionofengland.png

excellent :D i was worried this AAR had died
Not yet, but it was indeed close.

Ashantai said:
Those galleys really are useless, even in inland seas....
True, but I also think the victory was so easy and devastating by my enormous tech lead over Minamoto. China's naval tech is 29 and IIRC Minamoto's is around 10.

Last edited:
Excellent AAR. Good reading, teaching quite a lot about the new system and inspiring - turns out China is very much playable after all.

I just wanted to drop by and say what a fantastic AAR this is, and very educational. I usually only follow gamplay AARs (with very, very few exceptions), and your AAR is exemplary. Very well done.

And now, I think I'll need to play a Ming DW game! :)