• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pretty cool events. Congratulations on your war with Japan and on cleaning of borders, but that was walk in the park as opposed with what you're going to fight now, I suppose. On one hand, France is far away, on the other, her tech is the same as yours, innit? Good luck with being a badboy, if the fabulous chain alliances will present themselves now, you'll gonna need it.

You have many mispelling error, but this is a good chapter, especially your boundaries at the end and the fact that you lose legitimacy (what was that? We are a republic, remember?:p). I hope that France doesn't reach you too fast and that you are able to return the "Central Republic" below infamy limit quickly. Personally, I would like that if you were able to have all modern day China without expanding not realistically.

Maybe you could, however, take south-west Asia, Siberia and even India (and after that Persia, and finish the game while besieging Istanbul, Moscow or Vienna)...

Oh no! not the country that's literally on the other side of the world!

not sarcastic, because you have naval range, and they don't

Pretty cool events. Congratulations on your war with Japan and on cleaning of borders, but that was walk in the park as opposed with what you're going to fight now, I suppose. On one hand, France is far away, on the other, her tech is the same as yours, innit? Good luck with being a badboy, if the fabulous chain alliances will present themselves now, you'll gonna need it.
The outcome of the war was indeed never in question. France is another matter; they have good tech and large forces.

I assume you have a bigger navy than France.
I'll tell you guys about the French forces in the next episode.

You have many mispelling error, but this is a good chapter, especially your boundaries at the end and the fact that you lose legitimacy (what was that? We are a republic, remember?:p). I hope that France doesn't reach you too fast and that you are able to return the "Central Republic" below infamy limit quickly. Personally, I would like that if you were able to have all modern day China without expanding not realistically.

Maybe you could, however, take south-west Asia, Siberia and even India (and after that Persia, and finish the game while besieging Istanbul, Moscow or Vienna)...
That's not really modern-China sized expansion :)

Oh no! not the country that's literally on the other side of the world!

not sarcastic, because you have naval range, and they don't

Well, they are not really on the other side of the world...

This is great. Enjoying it a lot! I've been wondering about the factions system, and this has been useful and very informative!

Brilliant AAR. Looking forward to more updates.

Great AAR! subscribed

This is great. Enjoying it a lot! I've been wondering about the factions system, and this has been useful and very informative!

Thank you all for your kind words. However, at the moment there is a bit of a crisis going on in real life, so I can't update the AAR for at least two weeks and I might even have to abort the AAR outright.

I'm sorry for this but there are now some things that have priority over the AAR.

Last edited:
That's a common misconception.
:)

Its okay, i understand.

WE ALL understand, I'm sure. So, Knul, do not worry about us, take your time, tidy up all problems you have in real life and only then write this masterpiece again. We will wait ;)
Thank you Boris ze Spider and JackTheJumper for your understanding. I really want to continue this AAR, as I enjoy writing it and playing it. I'm really surprised how many people like this AAR and it's great motivation for working on this AAR.

This is a wonderful AAR, I look forward to seeing the next update when you have time. If it's not too much trouble, a world map would be nice to see what's going on everywhere, even if you have been doing a good job of showing us the important areas.

(From a fellow competitor)
Nice to hear you enjoy it, scholar. I'll see what I can do about the worldmap.

Having lost a relative recently I understand that things take priority over games. Take care and hope to see you back when it's all resolved. :)

Well, I've managed a new episode, as things have calmed down earlier than expected. I initially wanted to make a bigger episode, but I had big problems organizing such a big update, especially with real life interference. So I've split this episode in two, so that writing it is easier and I don't have to worry about going over 20 pictures per episode.

Enjoy!

Episode 14: the First French War

Our first war with a European power and a strong one, too! France has high Land and Naval tech levels, 23 in both. We are a bit better of, with Land 25 and Naval 24. The French navy has 12 Big Ships and 23 Light Ships, quite small compared to our 35 Big Ships and 12 Light Ships, with our allies adding 11 Big Ships. On land, however, things are less rosy. We have about 120.000 of troops including allies, while the French alone have 190.000 troops. Besides numbers, France has the Military Drill National Idea, improving their morale even more over their Hard Difficulty bonus. This will make winning battles against France very difficult, as we have about 4.2 morale with full funding while the French armies have about 6 morale, almost 50% more. Luckily, France has no allies, so there is little chance the opposing force will grow.

With the core provinces of China and France out of reach of the opposing armies, I expect that any combat between us will take place in Central America, where French colonies border our Central American possessions. In particular, France has two colonies north-east to our Central America colonies, which are seized immediately by 5th Corps. In August 1599 we get the great advisor event for our Diplomat: this means a -6 Infamy loss! Exactly at the right time, as this will considerably shorten our "Dishounorable Scum" status. Sometimes it is better to be lucky that to be good.

In november France brings the "Armée Alpine", 20 regiments strong, into our Central American territory, instantly gaining local superiority as we have only 5th Corps there with 12 regiments. Also, elections take place, in which I keep the current guy, as I like having the Bureaucrats in power. Sadly, our doge dies a couple of days after the election, forcing a new election in which I support a bureaucrat candidate. A ADM 7 MIL 3 DIP 8 leader is chosen, which I quite like.

In June 1600 we get another National Idea slot, which I use to get Shrewd Commerce Practices, as trade is now our most important source of income and I want to make sure it stays that way. I also start building Arsenals, the level 5 Land building.

1601-03-01ayucalltoarms.png

With 1601 we get embroiled in another war! Bihar wants to subjugate our ally Ayutthaya which wisely called us to arms. Of course I answer the call. As Bihar has Land level 10, this will be a walk through the park.

1601-11-15biharlosesallies.png

My assault-only strategy works really well against such weak forces. After 8 months Vijayanagar and Rajputana sign White peaces with us, leaving Bihar alone against the might of 2nd*, 3rd and 4th corps.

1604-02-11PeaceafterBihar.png

In september 1603 we bring Bihar to the peacetable after capturing 30 provinces in as many months, forcing them to release Bengal, Taungu and Lan Na, greatly reducing Bihar's power.

1602-12-09dietofamsterdam.png

But not only India sees great political changes. In the Diet of Amsterdam, the Holy Roman Emperor has enacted yet another Imperial Reform. From now on I keep a close eye on this, as this might mean I have to content with a unified Holy Roman Empire.

In the elections of November I choose to keep the current leader, as I like having the Bureaucrats in power while having the Eunuchs close to power. In 1604 the people sample new religions, which gives me a good opportunity to slide towards Narrowminded, which I take. I also get a slider move which is used to increase Centralization, making China fully Centralized. Finally I build three Free Art Academies to reduce our dependence on Patron of the Arts.

Meanwhile, 5th corps fights a guerilla fight against the superior Armée Alpine, retaking provinces when the French army marches on. As we fight on own territory, our assaults upon the Armée Atlantique whithers the enemy down, even if every battle we lose more men than they do. But in june 1603 we have our first victory over a Western army, reducing the French invasion force to 6000 men strong. After some chasing we are able to wipe out Armée Atlantique in Tohancapan, destroying 20 regiments with our 12 regiment strong 5th corps! Strategically unimportant but a nice tactical victory over a superior enemy nonetheless!

1604-11-18KhmerinCarribean.png

And our victory emboldens our allies. Here you can see the brave Khmer in action in the Carribean, a historical first as this is the first Asian Army in the Atlantic.

Sadly, the French take revenge. In 1605 a new invasion forces lands in Central America with the "Armée de L'Atlantique", consisting of (again) 20 regiments. In the first battle with 5th corps in Tohancapan, 5th corps is completely wiped out! Apparantly Tohancapan is the place where armies go to die. In the mainland a new 5th corps is raised, together with a 9th and 10 corps to strengten the Central Republican forces. In the meantime, the Republican Guard is sent to Central America. I later reinforce with the reinstated 5th corps and the new 10th corps, but as a trip to the Americas takes 6 months, it takes some time to get some boots there!

1605-12-09militarymodernization.png

I use this time to enact military modernization! After 54 years of being in the Western Tech group, we finally finish the process and modernize our armies. We are now as strong as any Western nation.

1606-04-04rrwithMandatelost.png

However, this comes with quite a price: losing the Mandate. This map shows the revolt risk with the Mandate Lost. With the Mandate of Heaven, this map would be an even bright green.

In march 1606 the Republican Guard arrives in the New World, where it avoids open combat and instead retakes territory taken by the Armée de L'Atlantique. In November the people sample new religions, which I oppose, sliding our policy towards Narrowminded. December sees the first British territorial acquisition in India. I don't like that, but at the moment I can do little about it.

In 1607 5th corps arrives in Central America, which marks the start of direct combat with the French forces. In November we get the Mandate back, a great relief. In the elections I choose to keep our great leader. In 1608 the Armée de L'Atlantique is finally wiped out! With 40 regiments destroyed out of 190, the French forces have been dealt quite a blow. I reconquer all lost territory and retake the two French colonies by the end of the year.

In January 1609, after exactly 10 years of war, France agrees to a white peace! In fact, with our taking the two French colonies, this first Western war is a modest success in my books.

1609-01-03AftertheFrenchWar.png

Here's an overview of the Central American situation after the French war. Basically all the territory north of Aztec is newly acquired in the war by taking over provinces with armies, outside the negotiation tables.

After peace has broken out, we get renovating a pagoda and as I am cheap, I go with the no-cost option which comes with -5 Bureaucrats influence, which causes the Eunuchs to take over.

faction_take_over_bur_eun.png

New merchants are sent out, but not to Kurz and Fars, which are abandoned. This new feature in Divine Wind consists of a button in the CoT screen which removes all your merchants from that CoT. As the Kurz and Fars Centres are marginalized, I want these merchants in more profitable places.

In November we get a grave for a eunuch, which shifts the balance of power back to the Bureaucrats after only 7 months!

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

After some uneventfull years we have once again elections in November 1611, in which I again opt to keep our great ADM 7 MIL 3 DIP 8 Doge, ending episode 14.

Stats

The last two decades has seen some territorial growth but at the cost of the economy which has weakened in quality. However, the wars has seen some hefty military expansion. Inflation is now almost completely removed.

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1600	1610	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
No. of provinces	83	86	3		4%		32		59%
Yearly income		5.211	5.990	779		15%		5.152		615%
Yearly income/province	62,8	69,7	6,9		11%		54,1		349%
Inflation		0,5	0,2	-0,3		N/A		0,2		N/A
Manpower (x1.000)	210	239	29		14%		154		181%
Army Size		85	103	18		21%		64		164%
Navy size		73	61	-12		-16%		12		24%

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399		
			1590	1600	absolute	relative	absolute	relative	
#provinces		74	83	9		12,16%		29		53,70%	
yearly income		5954	5211	-743		-12,48%		4373		521,84%	
yearly income/province	80,46	62,78	-17,68		-21,97%		47,26		304,57%	
inflation		0,9	0,5	-0,4		N/A		0,5		N/A	
manpower		192	210	18		9,38%		125		147,06%	
army			76	85	9		11,84%		46		117,95%	
navy			60	73	13		21,67%		24		48,98%

Next episode: Wild West and Wild East

Excellent post! I'm glad you had the time to write some more! :)

This is awesome! I've given some thought to playing an Asian nation with DW, but I had originally thought of Japan. You might have changed my mind :)