• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just caught up, I'll be following along.
Reading about Ming during the Development Diaries for DW turned me off (especially considering I have studied Chinese history quite a bit and thought they could have implemented it better), but seeing it in action actually makes me want to give them a try. Good on you for making an informative, entertaining AAR.

It's so wonky to see the 'let-down' of a 7/8/9 monarch and the joy of a 5/3/7 or whatever it was, haha.

Also, I don't think your Mexico results were so great... why are they all mixed up and not bordering eachother? I see Britain had some provinces, and I assume that the Zapotec capital was in the way of your other conquests. Wouldn't it have made better sense to get your Pacific Ocean connection further south to connect everything? Or attack a different nation (Inca, another 'Mexico' nation) ?

Reviewing the screenie I'm thinking, "Wouldn't it have made more sense to leave Tarasco to the natives so that you can have your provinces connected?

Just caught up, I'll be following along.
Reading about Ming during the Development Diaries for DW turned me off (especially considering I have studied Chinese history quite a bit and thought they could have implemented it better), but seeing it in action actually makes me want to give them a try. Good on you for making an informative, entertaining AAR.
Good to hear that I have entertained and perhaps even inspired you.

It's so wonky to see the 'let-down' of a 7/8/9 monarch and the joy of a 5/3/7 or whatever it was, haha.
I know. I'm sitting here hoping that I get a high MIL guy, I get this fantastic monarch and I go "ah damn". It's indeed a very weird situation compared to normal EU3 play!

Also, I don't think your Mexico results were so great... why are they all mixed up and not bordering eachother? I see Britain had some provinces, and I assume that the Zapotec capital was in the way of your other conquests.
I didn't have much choice. GB had mangled Zapotec before I declared war. I was already glad that they left something for me. One province is all I need, the three others are just a bonus. I should also have DoWed Aztec, but I didn't think of that until the Temple faction lost power. So I couldn't make the provinces continuous.

Wouldn't it have made better sense to get your Pacific Ocean connection further south to connect everything? Or attack a different nation (Inca, another 'Mexico' nation) ?
For my plans, Zapotec was the perfect target. Besides, the only other Central American states are Aztec, which doesn't have a port to the west and Maya, which is completely surrounded by Great Britain.

Reviewing the screenie I'm thinking, "Wouldn't it have made more sense to leave Tarasco to the natives so that you can have your provinces connected?
And leave Tarasco to the Brits? Why not take it? As I have military access from both GB and the Aztecs, I can freely move troops around. Economically it also doesn't matter, as both continous parts have a port to my capital. Esthetically you might find it subuptimal, but I kinda like the combination of dark red, bright yellow and poisonous green :)

Sad for the Mings, but this AAR is very good. I would like to have this ability to summarize quicky like you and Svip what happens. That would prevent me to feel obligated to explain all that happened in the world.

Episode 12: generals with silver tongues

Once again we start an episode with an election. Again I select a military candidate so that we can wage war. The 1571 elections brings us a an ADM 6 MIL 6 DIP 9. Great, a good general with a silver tongue. We used to have these kinds of problems with heirs and ADM. Good to see evolution, I guess?

In 1573 the Eunuchs take over.

faction_take_over_bur_eun.png

Luckily, we get a 6 star trader, giving +12% merchant compete chance! He will help us build up trade, as with the Eunuchs we can do little else at the moment. In october A Eunuch's Vase happens to us. We can weaken Eunuch influence, but because General Fancypants is so extremely strong diplomatically, this wouldn't change a thing, so I accept the Vase and get some money.

In january 1574 our military becomes divided!

1574-01-14militarydivided.png

I choose offensive as this campaign I intend to assault, not siege.

In 1575, after some boring years, we have new elections. Perhaps this time we get an agressive leader? No, we get an ADM3 MIL 9 DIP 9, another smoottalking general. Well at least we now might have a chance to get the Temple faction into power if the gods are kind.

1578-05-02peoplesamplingnewreligionsandsiberiancolonies.jpg

After another couple of uneventfull years, the people sample new religions, which I use to slide +1 towards Narrowminded. As you can see, not only traders but also colonists have been send around. The green region are the new colonies, the red region are the conquests so far. The dark blue in the south east is the Minamoto Shogunate's conquests from Korea before it became our vassal.

Furthermore I expand trade in the European Centres of Trade, building up our economy.

In august 1579 people sample new religions happens once again to use, again I choose +1 Narrowminded. This now means that the basic influence of all three factions is -0.25 and thus we have achieved faction balance.

faction_balance_achieved.png

This shows that predictions are difficult especially if they are about the future, as at the start of the campaign I predicted to hacve achieved this balance around 1650. We are thus 70 years early, leaving me very embarassed. Well, in my defense, this campaign has seen quite a lot slider movement events which helped immensily in achieving the balance.

So what's the way ahead regarding domestic policy sliders? Well, because a slider movement changes influence by 0.25 and a single monarch pip changes influence by 0.5, we can move sliders step by step without losing the advantage that the leader stat with highest value will determine what faction is in power.

In november we get another election. Hopefully we can get a General Ripper in power?

1579-11-06generalwithsilvertongue.png

No of course not, what was I thinking, getting a leader in power that does what I want? Silly me.

In august 1580 I use my slider move to slide towards Aristicracy.

1580-12-22graceforeunuch.png

The December is harsh and kills a high ranking eunuch, as a grave for a eunuch happens to us. I use this opportunity to change Eunuch influence by -6, but because Eunuch influence is still so high from the previous nancypancy generals, the Temple faction doesn´t seize power.

Another couple of years of sending merchants and colonists end with an important event in 1583: Minamoto annexes Pegu. But wait a minute, isn´t Pegu an ally of us from the Intervention War with Manchu? Yes, but for some reason they never called us to arms and without Temple faction, we cannot intervene. So helplessly I have to watch my ally being swallowed by the warmongering Minamoto.

1583-04-05SEasia.png

As you can see, SE Asia is being cut up by the major powers. Khmer and Shan are my vassals. Only Lan Xang and my small allies Sukhotai and Ayutthuya are independent.

1583-09-16ottomanmameluks.png

And now for something completely different. The Ottomans and the Mamluks have started a war against each other, probably over trademark infringement.

In november we have yet another election. I support the military candidate because I don´t want the Temple faction into power, and a ADM 7 MIL 5 DIP 3 leader is chosen. Finally I get what I want. Shame that I don´t want to want that.

faction_take_over_eun_bur.png

In september 1584 the Eunuchs step down after 11 years of boring rule. While the ´70s and early ´80s were boring, the Eunuchs did expand trade on an enourmous scale. Let´s take a look at their achievements:

1584-09-02atradingareaseast-1.png

Here you see a map of the trading regions, with the yellow numbers indicating the yearly income we get from the associated Centre of Trade.

1584-09-02btradingareaswest-1.png

The trading map for Europe / Middle East. Our yearly trade income is 2084, so my top three Centres of Trade provide about 45% of my trade income. But money isn´t all we get from trade: in Divine Wind you get certain bonusses if you are the premiere trader in a trade good. Good thing, as we are the biggest trader in basically everything:

1586-02-10btradegoods.png

The good trade income is one of the reasons our tech rate is going very well.

1590-08-21chinaistechleader.png

China is now tech leader in Land, Trade and Government and is in the top league in Production. Only in Naval are we lagging behind a bit.

With the Bureaucrats in power, I start building post offices all over China. In march 1585 we get a merchants resist Westernization event. As our Centralization is only -3, we have to accept their demands.

patch_change.png

In may 1585 something meta happens: I change to beta patch 5.1B. Lots of changes, some of the most immediate is that the Forbidden City gives only 1% Prestige instead of 5% and that only with the Eunuchs in power we can send explorers and conquistadors.

In 1586 I denounce neo-confucianism.

1586-02-10denounceneo-confucianism.png

Why so late? This decision is available from the start, why wait so long? Well, mainly because I didn´t whether to denounce or promote neo-confucianism. If I stayed innovative, the extra missionaries from denouncing wouldn´t help, so I would go promoting neo-confucianism. But along the way I decided to go a bit more narrowminded, so the extra missionaries from denouncing are very helpfull. Besides, the +1 tolerence to heretics isn´t really helpful, as our tolerance to heretic is already positive.

In 1587 we have elections and optimistic as I am I support the military candidate for the fifth time in a row. The new leader is ADM 5, MIL 6 DIP 7, yet another disappointment.

faction_take_over_bur_eun.png

In 1589 the Eunuchs return to power, ending this episode.

Stats

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1580	1590	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
#provinces		74	74	0		0,00%		20		37,04%
yearly income		5216	5954	738		14,15%		5116		610,50%
yearly income/province	70,49	80,46	9,97		14,15%		64,94		418,47%
inflation		1,1	0,9	-0,2		N/A		0,9		N/A
manpower		186	192	6		3,23%		107		125,88%
army			66	76	10		15,15%		37		94,87%
navy			59	60	1		1,69%		11		22,45%

Code:
					change during decade		change since 1399	
			1570	1580	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
#provinces		67	74	7		10,45%		20		37,04%
yearly income		4159	5216	1057		25,41%		4378		522,43%
yearly income/province	62,07	70,49	8,41		13,55%		54,97		354,21%
inflation		1,3	1,1	-0,2		N/A		1,1		N/A
manpower		181	186	5		2,76%		101		118,82%
army			58	66	8		13,79%		27		69,23%
navy			58	59	1		1,72%		10		20,41%

Next episode:

1589-01-01foreshadowing.png

Sad for the Mings, but this AAR is very good. I would like to have this ability to summarize quicky like you and Svip what happens. That would prevent me to feel obligated to explain all that happened in the world.

I am flattered by you praise, but I would disagree that SVip and I are comparable: Svip is a much better writer and entertainer than me.

As for summarizing `quickly´, each update takes about 2+ hours to write, although a big part of that is image editing. And I´m also struggling with what to tell, what to show and what to leave out.

It's good you've included maps, all is clearer now. Thank you for it ;)
Also, these giant Lithuania and Golden Horde look scary - good you're not bordering them... or maybe bad, seeing as you long for some war.

I'm really surprised by the high trading incomes in those CoTs! To clarify, those really are your incomes, and not the incomes of the entire markets? And what is your trading efficiency?
btw, did you notice in the ledger the page right at the end of the economy section, just before the last section (I click the last section and go 'previous' one page) shows your control over each of the market goods? I see you have a nice list there, and ask if you have 33% of every good. I couuuld compare what I see from what you've posted to some sort of master list to see if you have them all... but it's easier for you to just check the ledger and let me know ;)

I'm really surprised by the high trading incomes in those CoTs! To clarify, those really are your incomes, and not the incomes of the entire markets? And what is your trading efficiency?
These are my incomes. The total trade value of the Nanjing CoT is 1878, Andalucia´s trade value is 1128 and Etchu´s is 825. In Nanjing I have 6 traders, in all the others 5. My trade efficiency is 93%. And I´m only at +2 Free Trade :) That´s the power of trade.

The next highest trade efficiencies are: Novgorod 92%, Portugal (an OPM!) 85%, Normandy 80%, Frankfurt 79%, Magdeburg 74%.

btw, did you notice in the ledger the page right at the end of the economy section, just before the last section (I click the last section and go 'previous' one page) shows your control over each of the market goods? I see you have a nice list there, and ask if you have 33% of every good. I couuuld compare what I see from what you've posted to some sort of master list to see if you have them all... but it's easier for you to just check the ledger and let me know ;)
Good tip, didn´t know that! At the moment I made the trade good overview, I was trade leader of every trade good except gold, which can´t be traded.

Last edited:
You have bandwidth exceeded alerts from photobucket and I can't see your pics! D:

I am flattered by you praise, but I would disagree that SVip and I are comparable: Svip is a much better writer and entertainer than me.

As for summarizing `quickly´, each update takes about 2+ hours to write, although a big part of that is image editing. And I´m also struggling with what to tell, what to show and what to leave out.

It's because I have an AAR in the French forum about the Byzantines and on In Nomine, since I started it years ago. I seems to not be able to determine what worth to be said, and every chapter cost me probably twice what time you have to write a chapter and is so long that I doubt that someone did followed all of that. Is is also done with a narrative method.

So I like your work because it looks clear, not too long and interesting. You are explaining the game and it is a style that I like, the same way I like funny AARs because they make me laught. Svip is able to put together those two aspect, but your AAR is also funny, at some moments. Your last chapter about your fancy generals is great because that show us all your bad lucks and your distached look about the "alternate reality" of your AAR is also not bad. I like the way you said, for example, that one of your king died from a heart attack because his brother died.

It's because I have an AAR in the French forum about the Byzantines and on In Nomine, since I started it years ago. I seems to not be able to determine what worth to be said, and every chapter cost me probably twice what time you have to write a chapter and is so long that I doubt that someone did followed all of that. Is is also done with a narrative method.

So I like your work because it looks clear, not too long and interesting. You are explaining the game and it is a style that I like, the same way I like funny AARs because they make me laught. Svip is able to put together those two aspect, but your AAR is also funny, at some moments. Your last chapter about your fancy generals is great because that show us all your bad lucks and your distached look about the "alternate reality" of your AAR is also not bad. I like the way you said, for example, that one of your king died from a heart attack because his brother died.
Nice to hear that my attempts at humour are appreciated. Basically I'm just recording my thoughts and explanations on events in EU3. As it is quite an abstract game at many levels, it leaves the player plenty of room to come up with his own ideas on what's happening. For example the last Ming emperor "died" just as I declared war, so I get this image of a scared emperor that runs for the hills instead of leading his armies. This "imagining" also helps avoiding repetition: it would be very boring if I just report "this guy rises to the throne. Then this guy. After that this guy."

I think it's quite difficult to make a narrative AAR, as you both have to explain what's happening in-game and tell a story and optimally weave these two together. That's why I chose to take a more "let's play" approach, in which I can just focus on the game and the strategies with just some observations and imaginings to spice up things.

you're doing impressively well with your tech progress, I've never seen a China anywhere near the top of the tree ... but then I've not played DW yet either.

this remains wonderfully readable, and informative, think you're doing a great job balancing detail against swamping people with too much information.

Going against Japan? Good luck, hope your navy is strong enough. I have no worries about overland advantage. ;)
Thanks. Don't worry about me, worry about the poor Japanese....>:)

you're doing impressively well with your tech progress, I've never seen a China anywhere near the top of the tree ... but then I've not played DW yet either.

this remains wonderfully readable, and informative, think you're doing a great job balancing detail against swamping people with too much information.
Well, AI Ming is very weak tech-wise, as the AI will almost never Westernize. When a nation gets into the Western tech group, its tech problems are basically over.

I'm glad to hear that the infodump-entertainment balance of this AAR is satisfactory.

Down with Japan.
That I agree with.

I'm glad to hear that the infodump-entertainment balance of this AAR is satisfactory.

Don't worry, this is a realy good introduction into the new elements in DW for someone who hasn't a copy.

BTW, didn't DW introduced a "trade distance"? how are you able to trade in Europe?

And could you post a political map of Europe? The scary Lithuania is scary.

Episode 13: war with Japan

The Central Republic enters the 1590's with a new University build in Shanghai, as a school charter happens to us. In 1591 I choose once again a military candidate for the elections. I get a ADM 3 MIL 9 DIP 7 ruler.

Excuse me for a moment.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Ah, I needed that.

While I wait for the Temple faction to take power in september 1592, I get a domestic slider move, so I slide +1 towards Centralisation. We now get a +1 revolt risk because an administrative republic only allows a -3 Centralisation, but I want to modernize the military, for which I need -5 Centralization.

faction_take_over_eun_tem.png

Finally I to get declare a war I want for twenty years! The target is Japan, as the Shogunate Minamoto has been very aggressive in Asia, conquering Vietnam, a big chunk of Manchu, parts in SE Asia and to top it of, our ally Pegu. They have to be put down for this warmongering! So in november 1592 the Chinese War of Agression against Japan begins. Irritatingly enough I have a core on Minamoto-owned Heilongjian but I can't use the Reconquest Casus Belli on the Emperor of Japan, although technically it's his land.

Manchu has guaranteed Japan, so they join our enemies. All the better for us. On our side I invite Korea and Khmer to the festivities.

1593-07-10conflictionopinions.png

In our own parliament, though, there is disagreement on the wisdom of this war. But who cares about the parliament?

The Japanese empire has 146.000 soldiers, 40 Big Ships and 22 transport ships. We have 85.000 soldiers, 41 Big Ships, 11 Light Ships (for pirate hunting only) and 15 transport ships. So on paper we have a difficult fight on our hands, but don't worry: we have a massive technology advantage. China's has Land Tech level 24 and Naval Tech level 20, while Minamoto, which provides the bulk of our enemy's forces, has Land Tech level 10 and Naval Tech level 8. A post-Land 18 army will easily defeat a pre-Land 18 army, so even with their numerical advantage, I predict an easy fight.

In the north 2nd, 6th and 8 corps invade the Minamoto lands, while in South-East Asia 3th, 4th and 7th corps march towards the enemy strongholds.

1593-01-25battleofBinhTriThien.png

1594-05-31battleofchungcheong.png

1594-09-292ndbattleofpyeongan.png

As you can see, our armies annihilate the Minamoto mooks while only taking light casualties. Already in july 1594 Manchu surrenders, giving up their last two provinces on the mainland.

1594-07-04battleofPyeongan.png

Not every battle is won, although. But even in defeat we manage to inflict horrendous casualties upon the enemy.

1594-08-14battleofgangwon.png

We get our revenge very quickly, though.

1594-01-04boundfeet.png

The Temple faction, emboldened by their successes in the field of battle, try their luck at the homefront by trying to introduce the fashion of Bound feet. This is a detestable and inhuman practise that I will not allow, even if allowing it would provide fantastic bonuses.

Back in our Japanese war, our assault corps, the 2nd and 4th corps, continue to take provinces. In februari 1595 all Japanese mainland provinces have been captured, but still the Emperor refuses to sign a peace satisfactory to me. So the only option is to invade native Japanese lands.

Of course, for this we need naval superiority. But while our armies were slaugthering Minamoto mooks, our navies were busy as well:

1593-01-19NavalBattleswithJapan.png

In six naval battles we have managed to annihilate the Imperial Fleet. After the Battle in the Amakusa Sea we have achieved naval supremacy, with 58 Big Ships on our side and only 9 enemy Big Ships. So we can start blockading the whole of Japan. In november 1595 I support the Bureaucratic candidate because I don't expect to need a war in the short term and because I want to build custom houses. I get an ADM 8, MIL6 DIP 5 leader, exactly what I need. Finally some luck with the elections!

1596-08-22battleofShikoku.png

In 1596, after retaking Guam and Taiwan from Minamoto, I launch the invasion of Shikoku. I choose this location because Minamoto cannot reach it with most of his forces, as my navies block the traits connecting Shikoku with the Japanese mainland.

We also see some domestic events. In august I get a great advisor event, with which I can get +2 stability. I use this opportunity to remove the Bureaucracy National idea and in its place take the Espionage NI. The Bureaucracy Idea was a bit of a letdown, even if its tax bonus has been doubled. It still doesn't increase income that much, at its top about a 7% increase and now with our large trade income its income bonus is close to neglible. I instead go for a spy bonus, as with Free Trade I can't get spies otherwise.

faction_take_over_tem_bur.png

In december the Bureaucrats rise to power, so I start building custom houses, the level 6 Trade building, wherever I can.

1597-01-03warisover.png

Meanwhile I launch a quick spearhead at Kyoto, as capturing the Imperial capital will give me a 100% warscore, allowing me to dictate the peace terms. The victory is complete, with the Japanese navy completely destroyed and only 65.000 troops left.

I get all the Japanese lands to the north of China. As Pyeongan is both captured by Korea and is their core, that province goes to my trusty allies. After the negotiations I sell Hamgeyong to Korea so that they once again own all their core provinces.

1597-01-07afterthewar.png

The above picture shows the Far Eastern political situation after the War with Japan. In the red frame you can see the political situation in North China before the war started. It has cleaned up rather nicely, don't you think?

1597-01-10infamyoverview.png

Unfortunately, because the war was without a proper Casus Belli, we have gained a massive amount of Infamy. Even with infamy reduction turned to maximum, it will take some time to burn off all this infamy. In the meantime, we will have problems.

1597-02-23advisorresigns.png

Some are irritating.

1598-12-26legitimacyquestioned.png

Other are humorous.

Stats
This episode ends at january 1599, so the 1590-1600 stats will be shown in the next episode.

Next epsiode:

1599-01-15Francedowsus.png

Last edited: