+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Yin, Yang and the ugly: a Divine Wind Ming AAR

First Lieutenant
    Europa Universalis 3

Whoah, northern HRE is in place of Poland, that's weird. Are you planning to take down whole HRE and release every single nation within it?
    Also, it's the first time I see Saxe-Lauenburg ever, and it looks great, so... XVII-century-like

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by mayorqw View Post
    This AAR is awesome! Hats off to you sir... and your confucionist Europe
    Thank you, good to hear that the AAR is entertaining to read as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheJumper View Post
    Whoah, northern HRE is in place of Poland, that's weird. Are you planning to take down whole HRE and release every single nation within it?
    Also, it's the first time I see Saxe-Lauenburg ever, and it looks great, so... XVII-century-like
    I do not hope to completely eliminate any of the major powers: even GB, economically and military now definitately a second-rate power, has about 50 provinces left. The HRE has a 115 provinces! My plan is basically to reduce the economy and milititary capability of the Great Powers so that China becomes a hegemon.

Basically the reason I chose Saxe-Lauenburg to cover North Germany is its name.
    Current AAR: EU4: Single Domination: Ming, the first EU4 AAR ever to feature a non-European country!
    Finished AARs: EU3: Double Domination: Germany versus Japan. EU3: Yin, Yang and the ugly: a Divine Wind Ming AAR

See an overview of my AARs at my Ink Well page.

I was inspired by this AAR so I started my very own Ming (now Manchu) game. It's 1720. Note my extremely large and in-charge territory compared to a relatively minuscule yet still bigger than average HRE.

Except instead of going east for the New World I went west, all the way to Novgorod so far. You may notice I also own most of Italy, including my most recent conquest, Roma (now well on its way towards the one true faith, Confucianism).

Question for you though, knul. I might have missed it, but why not form Manchu/Qing Dynasty? Some hefty bonuses are wrapped up in that event pathway.

Overall fantastic AAR, knul. Best on the site. Truly.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierfox42 View Post
    I was inspired by this AAR so I started my very own Ming (now Manchu) game. It's 1720. Note my extremely large and in-charge territory compared to a relatively minuscule yet still bigger than average HRE.

Except instead of going east for the New World I went west, all the way to Novgorod so far. You may notice I also own most of Italy, including my most recent conquest, Roma (now well on its way towards the one true faith, Confucianism).
    Well done, Xavierfox, you made a very impressive Ming empire! And with that huge HRE (France? East Europe? The whole of Scandinavia?!), you have an exiting endgame waiting for you.

Question for you though, knul. I might have missed it, but why not form Manchu/Qing Dynasty? Some hefty bonuses are wrapped up in that event pathway.
    Well, primarily because I wanted to continue playing as Ming/China so that the campaign is as alt-history as possible. Besides, I do not always take the optimal strategy: the whole "conquer all of North America" strategy is IMO quite suboptimal, but I wanted to see if with the factions I was able to build up the economy, expand military and establish colonies at the same time.

Overall fantastic AAR, knul. Best on the site. Truly.
    I would suggest that you search for Peter Ebbesen's AARs, you will surely change your mind

But thanks anyway
    Current AAR: EU4: Single Domination: Ming, the first EU4 AAR ever to feature a non-European country!
    Finished AARs: EU3: Double Domination: Germany versus Japan. EU3: Yin, Yang and the ugly: a Divine Wind Ming AAR

Episode 28: World domination

So far I have only brought the revolution to Europe, but there are many other nations whose population is suffering under despotic regimes. Also, I have to settle some accounts. So I invade Bihar! Finally I can get revenge for all those pointless wars with Bihar! I also declare war on Rajputana, the second largest Indian power. Four assault corps, two of which are from the European expeditionary force, quickly tople the Indian empires.

After almost two years of warring, I demand 19 provinces from Bihar...

and 14 from Rajputana. My Infamy is now 44, so I desperately need to release vassals. I release Delphi, Orissa, Nepal and Deccan.

After these releases, my infamy is now 6! Provinces cost 1 infamy with Revolutionary war and releasing vassals reduces infamy with 2 per province, so my infamy now falls with every conquest! Note that almost all provinces demanded from Bihar and Rajputana have cores of non-existing nations, so that I can release most provinces as vassals. For example, the westernmost provinces I gained from Rajputana are Persian and...oh wait, there is a two-province Persia in existence? Okay, I annex Persia and thus have many Persian provinces which I can release as a vassal.

However, I also want to conquer as much as possible from Japan, as Minamoto is one of the leading nations in the world. Problem is, Japan is a Noble Republic (?!), I cannot use the Revolutionary War CB on them and instead have to use Nationalism, which has a 2 infamy cost per province.
    Anyway, I invade Japan in 1794. After 18 months I force the Emperor (not the Holy one) to give me 16 provinces:

Infamy is again over the limit, with a value of 34. I release Persia, bringing infamy down to a high but managable 20:

In 1797 I invade Travanacore and Vijayanager, annex them and release them in the same year. Their allies Taunga and Bengal are both force-converted and Bengal is force-vassalized. The netto result of this is zero infamy: +4 from force-vassalizing, -4 from releasing four provinces.

So I continue freeing the Indian people and declare war upon Bihar in 1798. Their ally Madurai is forced to convert and in 1799 Bihar is forced to give me 8 provinces:

To reduce infamy, I release Assam. In 1800 Rajputana is the next in line, I declare war upon them and a year later I get 9 provinces. To counter this new influx of infamy, I release Holland and Normandy.

In 1802 I finally return to Europe and say hello to the French. After four months they graciously give 7 provinces to me as a welcome-back gift.

In September that year I start the most difficult war of this episode: I invade one-province Brittany. Brittany has a level 6 fort, which doesn't go down after a couple of assaults of 50.000 infantry each! Only in March 1805, two and a half year, does Brittany fall and is annexed!

In the meantime, I declare war on Austria on 1803 and in 1804 I get 7 of their provinces, all of them west of Bavaria, so that the border are cleaned up a bit. I also have reached production level 53, so that I can get Liberté, Equalité, Fraternité, although in this timeline the phrase should be in Mandarin.

In 1805 I release Ahmadnagar so that I can invade Japan again. In 1806 I make peace with Japan and have an aditional 12 provinces. I release Baluchistan to bring infamy down to an acceptable level. As I reach government level 61, I choose Bill of Rights.

So this is the current state in Asia:

I have named all the new vassals that I have gained during this episode (*EDIT* I forgot Assam, it's the purple state south of Tibet). To make the extend of my empire clearer, here is a map of my territory and all my vassals (diplomatic mapmode):

So basically in 15 years I went from no control over India or Japan to own the majority of both areas. Revolutionary war is brutal.

To finish, a current map of Europe:

Stats

Code:
    					change during decade		change since 1399	
    			1790	1800	absolute	relative	absolute	relative
    No. of provinces	295	309	14		5%		255		472%
    Yearly income		12.452	14.500	2.048		16%		13.662		1630%
    Yearly income/province	42,2	46,9	4,7		11%		31,4		202%
    Inflation		0,7	0,7	0		N/A		0,7		N/A
    Manpower (x1.000)	577	616	39		7%		531		625%
    Army Size		390	390	0		0%		351		900%
    Navy size		227	227	0		0%		178		363%

Next episode: Endgame
    Last edited by knul; 17-04-2011 at 20:28.

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Apologies if you're already answered this, but was China something you modded in or is it new to DW? (As opposed to Ming)

You've really done a tremendous job here; can't wait to see the thrilling conclusion!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have just begun! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Darkest HourDivine WindVictoria 2

Vancouver BC, Former British Dominion called Canada
    Are you gonna war everyone on earth? and then destroy them?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris ze Spider View Post
    Nicely done, how many vassals do you have now?
    I have 18 vassals in Asia and 10 in Europe, so 28 in total.

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    Apologies if you're already answered this, but was China something you modded in or is it new to DW? (As opposed to Ming)
    You've really done a tremendous job here; can't wait to see the thrilling conclusion!
    In the discussion after the End of an age episode, I explained that I edited the MNG tag so that Ming's political colour is yellow, the name is China and I have replaced the coat of arms. So basically it's a completely cosmetic change with no gameplay impacts whatsoever, as I still play with the MNG tag.

In hindsight, I should have made this more explicit in the AAR itself, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliasing View Post
    Are you gonna war everyone on earth? and then destroy them?
    I haven't destroyed anyone, I just liberate those poor people suffering under despotic monarchs and give them democracy!

Well, I have no time left to literally get everyone, but I'm trying to bring the big boys down. Rajputana, Bihar and Minamoto are now much much weaker than before I dealt with them, so far so good.

Hey I'm the guy with the big Manchu empire posted recently. Not surprisingly in all those conquests I gathered a lot of infamy. I tried releasing vassals to reduce it just like you did, but it has never worked. So now I'm still high infamy and minus a few vassals. I'm on the latest patch btw. Is this a glitch maybe? It's the "cancel vassalisation" button, yes?

Also how is it that you give so many provinces to your vassals? Do you just use the sell province button? I find that very tedious having to scroll down through that list over and over, especially with literally hundreds of provinces. Plus, if the provinces are not next to the vassal borders I'll be lucky to get a "maybe" for a 0 gold sale offer. And besides, when you conquer and annex a province, you still gain the infamy for it, and selling a province to a vassal doesn't reduce infamy, so why not just keep the provinces?
    Last edited by xavierfox42; 17-04-2011 at 22:24.

Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

It's the Create Vassal button. In the Coat of Arms tab.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    -George Orwell

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    I can literally imagine Confucius so giddy that half* the population on Earth praises his teachings.
    Too bad this is the penultimate update (it rhymed!)... Damn you and your regular updating! *shakes fist at sky*

*Probably more, since you do have CHINA, INDIA AND EUROPE under your boot, besides North America
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

Darkest HourDivine WindVictoria 2

Vancouver BC, Former British Dominion called Canada
    Are you gonna do another AAR after this? Or extend the end date?

Hey I'm the guy with the big Manchu empire posted recently. Not surprisingly in all those conquests I gathered a lot of infamy. I tried releasing vassals to reduce it just like you did, but it has never worked. So now I'm still high infamy and minus a few vassals. I'm on the latest patch btw. Is this a glitch maybe? It's the "cancel vassalisation" button, yes?
    As BootOnFace said, the release vassal button is on the first page.

Also how is it that you give so many provinces to your vassals? Do you just use the sell province button? I find that very tedious having to scroll down through that list over and over, especially with literally hundreds of provinces. Plus, if the provinces are not next to the vassal borders I'll be lucky to get a "maybe" for a 0 gold sale offer. And besides, when you conquer and annex a province, you still gain the infamy for it, and selling a province to a vassal doesn't reduce infamy, so why not just keep the provinces?
    I do indeed use the "sell" button and sell the provinces for zero ducats. It is indeed a but tedious, but in my cases it's spread out over time so I see it as something to kill time until the next war.

With non-bordering provinces the chance becomes smaller, yes, but with repeated asking you can get the deal done.

And yes, selling provinces to vassals (or anyone for that matter) doesn't decrease you infamy. But not every part of my strategy has to be optimal: I like to have fun, too I like making bigger vassals as a way to paint the map my way. Europe in the AAR has been completely reformed in my image and gone far into alt-history territory. A blanket yellow Europe would be much less fun to watch, IMO.

Besides, I already cannot keep tariff effieciency up to 100%, so adding more oversees provinces wouldn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by mayorqw View Post
    I can literally imagine Confucius so giddy that half* the population on Earth praises his teachings.
    Too bad this is the penultimate update (it rhymed!)... Damn you and your regular updating! *shakes fist at sky*

*Probably more, since you do have CHINA, INDIA AND EUROPE under your boot, besides North America
    Or maybe he is terrified that so much blood had to be shed to bring his wisdom across the globe? We will never now...

In the future I will update much less frequently. Everything to please the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliasing View Post
    Are you gonna do another AAR after this? Or extend the end date?
    I will certainly not extend the end date as 1) I see the limited time as a challenge and 2) the game is becoming a bit boring. Especially writing about it is quite difficult, as basically all I am doing now is dow, assault, get provinces, sell provinces/release.

I have a plan for another AAR, but I will probably take a break from EU3 in the meantime. I have a Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines game going on that interests me very much and I want to play some Napoleon: Total War.

One thing I will do differently in my next AAR is to reduce workload. The dates at the bottom of pictures and the stats are nice and all, but they take some time to do and it's not fun doing it. When I wrote more and more updates I really began to dread the whole dreadgery of looking up stats and adding the dates to all the pictures. While the end result is nice, I will take a different approach in my next AAR.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by knul View Post
    I want to play some Napoleon: Total War.

Great game after the bore that Empire was (IMHO).
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

Crusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

It took me about 250 years to vassalize and conquer all of India as Ming and you mostly did it in little over a decade. That's impressive.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Leviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Great job knul, too bad it's mostly over

Also, I'm sure you meant Delhi (the Indian 'sultanate', or should I say 'Confucian Republic') not Delphi (the Greek city)

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelangelo View Post
    It took me about 250 years to vassalize and conquer all of India as Ming and you mostly did it in little over a decade. That's impressive.
    It just shows that once you get powerful, infamy becomes paramount (and is very important before that as well). Without good CBs or even without CBs at all, conquest is very slow, at least four times slower than with the best CBs.

By the way, I do pay for these conquests: as I have the Templars in power for so long, trade is suffering and I haven't build anything beside the embassy and a building or 2 for many decades.

Quote Originally Posted by KPJ View Post
    Great job knul, too bad it's mostly over

Also, I'm sure you meant Delhi (the Indian 'sultanate', or should I say 'Confucian Republic') not Delphi (the Greek city)
    No, I mean Delphi, my ruthless regime has transplanted the Greek ruling elite to India to control the natives.

Okay, okay, I made a spelling error. I also misspelled Ahmednagar. I blame Gimp for having no spellchecker.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedWarlock: Master of the Arcane500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

When is the grand finale?

Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

We demand finales of grand proportions!
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    -George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast