• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedRooster81

Modding Paladin
55 Badges
Feb 16, 2010
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
So, in anticipation, which dynasty do you want to play first? I've had some wild rides on CK1, mostly as the Jimenez clan, but I'm currently hooked on the de Hauteville family. Situated between Rome and North Africa, with the Byzantines and the Holy Land to the East, there is a lot of room to expand. Throw in a few pre-made royal bastards and claims on land in Normandy, and they can't be beat. But enough about me. Who do you guys want to play first, given what you may know of CK1 and the new features and changes announced thus far?

De Hauteville and de Monferrato.

The House of Wessex. Cast those de Normandie's back into the sea!

Though to be fair I'll probably mod a dynasty of my own in.

For Norman English games I'd like to play as De Warenne (my local dynasty) or (If they're available) the Montgomery dynasty, as I work in the archives of their castle. For French games I typically play as the Trencavels, with whom I had my most memorable game of CK1.

I always make my own.

I have not played the original but I will probably play some Scandinavian dynasty. Maybe there is some "Iceland dynasty", hopefully.

When does this game come out ? Any release date yet ? (or I could maybe just check Paradoxplaza.com)

Edit: hmm 2012.... a year of waiting... Well, got plenty of games to play.

Obviously the house of Leuven/Brabant (Reginar), but also: Habsburg, Kerne/Cornouaille, Bruce, Hauteville, Hohenstaufen, de Barcelona, Oldenburg, de Bourgogne, de Vermandois, de Normandie, Plantagenet, Nakonid etc. ;)

I've had some tremendously successful games in CK1 with the van Wassenberg dynasty, who start out as counts of Gelre, so I'll probably give them a whirl first - maybe make an AAR out of it. Alternatively, the Nakonids, the Billungs (Saxon dukes), and maybe one of the minor Russian ones.

Obviously the house of Leuven/Brabant (Reginar), but also: Habsburg, Kerne/Cornouaille, Bruce, Hauteville, Hohenstaufen, de Barcelona, Oldenburg, de Bourgogne, de Vermandois, de Normandie, Plantagenet, Nakonid etc. ;)

It will finally be fun to play a count, so maybe I'll give the Habsburgs another go around. I tried playing the 1066 campaign as Werner von Habsburg, Margrave of Aargau. Then I got really bored, and his son Otto ended up being a depressed, unhappy man. So Werner died in 1096, and Otto committed suicide in the early 1120s. I don't really see any kind of future for this dynasty, but maybe a human player can make something of them. ;-)

I guess my first game will be with the Billungs of the Duchy of Saxony. After that, I shall probably try a bunch of other counties or duchies in the HRE, e.g. Hohenstaufen, Habsburg, Salians etc.

All would depend on what duchies and counties are included as well as starting dates. Vianden, Luxembourg, Salm, Sponheim, Namur, Flandres (Hainaut), Alsace (Flanders), Louvain-Brabant, Bar-Mousson, Champagne, Verdun and many-many others come to mind. Of the royal dynasties almost only Godwinson (not sure what the dynasty is usually called), Normandie and Hauteville are interesting options to me as I found starting out with a kingdom in CK-I to be ratehr boring...