+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which dynasty do you want to play?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Byzantine minors, Alan ruling house, de Normandie, de Toulouse, Knytling, Natt och Dag (awesome name), von Habsburg

Banned

Julio-Claudian (:

De Aquitaine, De Capet and De Barcelona

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    I have a soft spot for the Trpimirović dynasty of Croatia, having saved them from their historical fall in 1091 and turned them into a bit of a power in the region in one of my more memorable and enjoyable games of CK1.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Ill play hoping that in 1066 dyrrachium will start with a real family who was in charge at that time the Muzaka or Arianiti family the oldest albanian aristocratic families we know. In CK I chryselios disappeared from durres since 1009. in 1066 should be either Konstandin Arianiti or Aleks Muzaka.

Vermandois, restoring Charlemagne's empire seems like a good goal for the first game.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Knytling(rebuild the "North-sea empire") or Godwinson.

Vermandois, Bagratuni, Rurikovich, Palaiologos, Dongola, Komnenus,

Really it depends on what area of the map I want to play. I also often look for the oldest families in terms of family tree and choose that way as well.

First game no doubt will be as Georgia, Nubia, or appointing Gagik as duke of armenia and playing as Bagratuni. In an eastern mood. Probably play as a celtic family after that.

What were some of the older families in CK1?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    Vermandois, Bagratuni, Rurikovich, Palaiologos, Dongola, Komnenus,

Really it depends on what area of the map I want to play. I also often look for the oldest families in terms of family tree and choose that way as well.

First game no doubt will be as Georgia, Nubia, or appointing Gagik as duke of armenia and playing as Bagratuni. In an eastern mood. Probably play as a celtic family after that.

What were some of the older families in CK1?
    Going backwards through the CK1 character sheets, I find that de Flandres are direct descendants on the male line from Charlemagne's son Charles the Younger and the Vermandois from Carloman. The Capets also trace their ancestry to the ninth century. The House of Barcelona likewise goes back to Count Borrell who IIRC declared independence from West Francia. The Jimenez Kings of Castilla, Leon, Navarra, and Aragon in 1066 are all descended from Jimeno, whose origins date back to the mid-IX century. So in the West, some dynasties are of old origin, often margraves and other rather minor officials in the Carolingian empire who rose up in the power vacuum of the X century.

Imperial Vicar of the HRE Ruwaard's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by RedRooster81 View Post
    Going backwards through the CK1 character sheets, I find that de Flandres are direct descendants on the male line from Charlemagne's son Charles the Younger and the Vermandois from Carloman. The Capets also trace their ancestry to the ninth century. The House of Barcelona likewise goes back to Count Borrell who IIRC declared independence from West Francia. The Jimenez Kings of Castilla, Leon, Navarra, and Aragon in 1066 are all descended from Jimeno, whose origins date back to the mid-IX century. So in the West, some dynasties are of old origin, often margraves and other rather minor officials in the Carolingian empire who rose up in the power vacuum of the X century.
    About the house of Flandres I'm not sure, but the first recorded count of Flandres, Baldwin I was married to Judith, a daughter of Charles the Bald (emperor and king of West Francia).
    Similary the ancestor of the house of Reginar, which descendants became the counts of Leuven/Louvain and later duke of Lower Lotharingia, later ''reduced'' to Lothier/Lothryk and duke of Brabant and Limburg, another (more senior) branch became the (Reginar) counts of Hainaut (although in game they are already succeeded by the house of Flandres); Giselbert was married to Ermengarde a daughter of emperor Lothair I, their son was Reginar after which the (early) house became known.
    At a later date count Lambert of Leuven (house of Reginar) married another Carolingian, Gerberga, countess of Brussels, the daughter duke Charles of Lower Lorraine (who was a son king Louis IV of West Francia).

Regarding the original question, if I play a game in the Low Countries/Lotharingian area I, not suprisingly , almost always start a game as count of Leuven or at a later start duke of Brabant.
    Last edited by Ruwaard; 13-01-2011 at 10:44.

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    Everyone's starting dynasty, the de Hautville. Or maybe the Count of Moscow, unite Russia and become the slayer of the Ruriks! Or maybe the Komnenois
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
    Everyone's starting dynasty, the de Hautville. Or maybe the Count of Moscow, unite Russia and become the slayer of the Ruriks! Or maybe the Komnenois
    De Hauteville has its perks, including strong leadership and a big, tight family, might be fun with more possibilities for religion. (The Pope is wedged in between you, the Byzantines, and the HRE after all.) But the Jiménez dynasty will always have a special place in my heart; they're a pretty attractive bunch, on a major religious frontier, and far away from the Seljuks, the Papacy, and both Emperors. Once you get rolling, both Sicily and Iberia are big sandboxes: you can create your kingdom kind of how you want, without powerful dukes like France or Germany have to deal with. I guess you could say the same for Rus and the Baltic. That's been my experience with CK1 at least.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldLost Empire - ImmortalsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandV2 Beta
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Vímares/Portugal.
    Terra Universalis II
    For EU IV
    Another kind of whole world mod
    Magna Terra
    For EU Rome VV
    The way to be Imperator of all the Old World
    Umbra Spherae
    For Crusader Kings II
    Expand your faith and realm into all the Old World

Ofc my first game will be as Harald Hardråde. If only to see his stats and confirm he has Cruel as a trait

The Komnenid dynasty, because of General BT's AAR

Also the Nemanjic, Trpimirovic, and perhaps the Habsburg dynasties.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldVictoria 2500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Plantagenet and de Hauteville.
    South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for a mental asylum. -- James Pettigru, 1856

On Last.fm and LiveJournal as susannag. On GoodReads as Susanna.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If playable, the Ottoman dynasty.

200k clubAchtung PanzerCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2Naval War: Arctic CircleEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 AHD BetaPride of Nations
    Rise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

There is a list of all dinasty playable?

von Bonnegau since the first time I ever conquered all of Europe I started as the Count of Pfalz.

Then Plantagenet.

Arpad. Gotta get me some Hungarian lovin'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast