• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(245915)

Private
1 Badges
Jan 3, 2011
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Hello guys I return with yet another question, so here we go.
(I am fairly new to the game, so if my tactic seems a bit, well nooby. Please refrain from wetting yourself until you at least attempt to get your head around it!) :mad:

When I begin my games, I manage my stockpile by buying goods that it says my population need. I normally buy a good amount of it to help my people get their needs. Whenever I do this though, my economy seems to REALLY fail, were talking dive me into a loss of like 3000+ a day. It probably is a simple question of economics but I can't seem to interpret this, as soon as I sell off my stockpile of say, Wool; my economy suddenly swoops upwards. Thanks in advance. :)

Your probably buying way to much. That slider isn't tuned to have equal supplies at equal intervals.

Don't buy stuff your population needs. It means your government is competing with your POPs for supplies, pushing the price up. Just let them buy what they need for themselves and concentrate on the government buying what it needs for ships, weapons and railroads.

Ahhh right, so I should just let my population make do for themselves? Fair enough, so the only thing I should purchase is all the military equipment my army needs. But not buy too much of that either?

Generally speaking, until you understand the game you're probably better off just letting the AI handle the trade screen for you. You can pull some very nice moves in there, but it's fairly advanced stuff - like preventing an ally falling into recession in MP, or causing a collapse in enemy industry. But other than that, it's not really that important for you to fiddle round in there, the AI actually does a fair job of looking after it all.

I have a different question about the National Stockpile, if you don't mind me adding to your thread.

Should you allow your population to buy from your national stockpile? I have been allowing my people to buy from me if needed, but I am not sure what the consequences of that are, if anything.

I'd suggest you shouldn't let POPs buy from stockpile in general. It causes some odd behaviours in the marketplace. Advanced players might buy a stockpile of required needs that are likely to be in short supply later in the game, but I wouldn't worry too much about it generally.

I'd suggest you shouldn't let POPs buy from stockpile in general. It causes some odd behaviours in the marketplace. Advanced players might buy a stockpile of required needs that are likely to be in short supply later in the game, but I wouldn't worry too much about it generally.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I allowed it earlier in my game because my factories weren't getting supplies, so maybe I'll change it to see what happens.

I'll have to look for the setting for whether they're allowed to buy out of stockpile or not.

it's a tiny green box halfway down the trade screen, between the goods window and the national stockpile window.

About population buying from your stockpile it depends of a lots of things.
First, your population must be lacking something (because other countries take it all)
Then, you must be ready to loose some money
Finally, you should buy as much as you can of the goods (price will go up, you'll get some), once at top, stop the buy order and activate sell to your pop.

It's working only for small population. With big population, don't even think about this.

Indeed, you can totally annihilate the world's economy if you do this as anything much larger than Ecuador.

I have a different question about the National Stockpile, if you don't mind me adding to your thread.

Should you allow your population to buy from your national stockpile? I have been allowing my people to buy from me if needed, but I am not sure what the consequences of that are, if anything.

Fire away lad, I don't mind anyone discussing the Stockpile on here; it may even help me! :p

To be true, personally I Believe there some sort of bug, when you permit population buy form your stockpile.

I think you start to loose a lots of money.

Situation, my stockpile full at 2000, I permit to buy, next turn my stockpile drop and I am in huge negative budget wise. I sold be in huge positive, I just sold a lot of stuff.

There is some sort of bug in work there. and second problem is that population start to buy from stockpile first, then from market, which cause a huge instability.

To be true, personally I Believe there some sort of bug, when you permit population buy form your stockpile.

I think you start to loose a lots of money.

Situation, my stockpile full at 2000, I permit to buy, next turn my stockpile drop and I am in huge negative budget wise. I sold be in huge positive, I just sold a lot of stuff.

There is some sort of bug in work there. and second problem is that population start to buy from stockpile first, then from market, which cause a huge instability.

This is exactly what happened with me, I believe it's to do with you driving up the prices. I'm not too sure, don't take my word for it. I would wait for another reply to be honest :p.

Stockpiles cause funny behaviour. While you sometimes get the effect Mutineer mentions, someone else tried doing much the same with the USA and ended up making 30 million in a matter of weeks...

Part of it seems to be because the pricing is blind to the fact that you're adding 2000 items to the domestic market, but these will not travel onto the world market afterwards. It doesn't entirely understand what's going on with it and so goes a bit mental. Then, on the other side, you're adding 2000 demand to the 'real' demand, while not adding the 2000 supply to it - as it's only on the domestic market - which throws the price into mental convolustions.