• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
18437top.png

18437bottom.png

Dear Sir;

It appears the Americans are becoming conscious of the impending divide over slavery. Let us hope they stay ignorant thereof, lest they totally embrace abolition and try to spread it to our fair banks.
There seems to be a strong movement for public, or non-secret, ballots, which begs the question: how are votes currently cast?
Interesting that the Turks would resent the French conquest of Tunis while they themselves subjugated Tripoli. It is well that such a hypocritical realm would decline in prominence.

Sincerely,
Messr. E. F.

Dear Sir,

Why change what works? This fair country is on the right path, so let us remain on it!

Yours truly,

RGB.

Dear Sir;

It appears the Americans are becoming conscious of the impending divide over slavery. Let us hope they stay ignorant thereof, lest they totally embrace abolition and try to spread it to our fair banks.
There seems to be a strong movement for public, or non-secret, ballots, which begs the question: how are votes currently cast?
Interesting that the Turks would resent the French conquest of Tunis while they themselves subjugated Tripoli. It is well that such a hypocritical realm would decline in prominence.

Sincerely,
Messr. E. F.

Dear Sir,

The bey of Tunis was a vassal of the Ottoman Empire.

Dear Sir,

The bey of Tunis was a vassal of the Ottoman Empire.

Dear Sir;

In that case, I stand corrected. The Turks are not hypocritical. They are arbitrary for conquering the lands they had granted to a vassal, especially since said vassal was not rebellious or upstart at the time of his ouster.

Sincerely,
Messr. E.F.

Dear Sir;

Oh glorious days for our Nation! We've faced danish piracy and belgian aggression and came victorious. Now, shame on those liberals for turning a state funeral into a political rally! As other fellow readers have said, why change what works?

Yours faithfully,

M. de Santiago

Dear Sir;

Oh glorious days for our Nation! We've faced danish piracy and belgian aggression and came victorious. Now, shame on those liberals for turning a state funeral into a political rally! As other fellow readers have said, why change what works?

Yours faithfully,

M. de Santiago

Here here brother! Vive la Louisiane!

M. J. Ape (Bsc)

Dear Sir

While I am as jingoistic as the next patriotic citizen, I cannot help but feel that we may not be ready for a spree of world conquest. I think it was the phrase "abandoned New Orleans in the face of the Belgian army" that caused me so much worry about our military cababilities.

I am however very pleased at the strides towards democracy we are taking. With fair elections for the 10-30% of senators that are actually elected (not appointed) then the Bonapartist tyrants must surely be preparing to leave office.

Yours faithfully

Mr A Alfredian

Dear Sir,

I must agree with another fellow patriot, a Mr. A Alfredian, on the issue of extending ourselves without proper preparation. Though the war with Denmark, a "secondary country" in the minds of many in Europe, went well; this does not say that a war with a greater giant such as Spain or France would bode the same outcome. I urge you to think carefully of your political and territorial moves on the traditional European powers. It is a well-known fact that Europe does not like change, the status-quo must be carefully preserved. If our reach oversteps our bounds, I fear we may not have such a beneficial end as we did with Denmark.

Yet, that aside, I must commemorate you on an excellent campaign. Glory to Louisiana and all its domains!

Yours respectfully,

Eber

Dear Sir:

As a new immigrant to Louisiana's shores I am, of course, mindful of Marshal LeClerc's brilliant victories against the perfidious Dane.

Perhaps now is the time for discretion, however. While it is true the Americans are currently distracted over their slavery debate, and will remain so for some time with God's will, one day they will resolve it one way or the other.

Already some Americans consider whether they have a Manifest Destiny to rule this continent. While I've seen they may have more limited aims than in OTLs (other timelines propounded by alarmists and ne'er do wells), it seems implausible and unlikely they would abandon such ambitions entirely. While the lower states are no doubt safe, I would not be surprised to see them treacherously assert themselves north of St. Louis and so drive towards the Pacific.

We should be cautious.

Yours,
M. de Chevalier de Chat

From the Editor's Desk:

The lack of recent updates will be remedied, but perhaps not for another week. All my creative energies are currently being directed to my work life, where we're preparing to welcome our state's (francophone) governeur, and I'm in the process of drafting a bilingual speech for him...

Anyway, prepare for a new issue some time after the 20th.

lettersf.png

Dear Sir;

Sincerely,
Messr. E. F.

It seems unlikely that the Americans will embrace abolition without a long and protracted struggle, especially since the balance between slave and free states is now near-permanent. Nevertheless, Louisiana will be watching events in the States closely, since we have our own slavery issues to deal with.

Currently, as is common in many democracies, votes are cast when electors sign their name next to their preferred candidate. This had led to accusations that unscrupulous candidates can threaten voters with retaliation.

The court of the Sultan no doubt mistakenly believes that the Bey of Tunis is still their vassal, and therefore, that the French have no right to depose him. Reality, however, is not on the side of the Turk.

Dear Sir,

Why change what works? This fair country is on the right path, so let us remain on it!

Yours truly,

RGB.

Ah! If only the electorate were not so fickle!

Dear Sir;

Yours faithfully,

M. de Santiago

Here here brother! Vive la Louisiane!

M. J. Ape (Bsc)

Dear Sir

While I am as jingoistic as the next patriotic citizen, I cannot help but feel that we may not be ready for a spree of world conquest. I think it was the phrase "abandoned New Orleans in the face of the Belgian army" that caused me so much worry about our military cababilities.

I am however very pleased at the strides towards democracy we are taking. With fair elections for the 10-30% of senators that are actually elected (not appointed) then the Bonapartist tyrants must surely be preparing to leave office.

Yours faithfully

Mr A Alfredian

Much of the middle-class electorate shares your views, M. Alfredian. War is bad for commerce, especially when it is prompted by the seizure of a foreign vessel. LeClerc's shame in abandoning New Orleans to the Belgian siege and losing several battles on St Domingue only made things worse for the hawks.

Dear Sir,

I must agree with another fellow patriot, a Mr. A Alfredian, on the issue of extending ourselves without proper preparation. Though the war with Denmark, a "secondary country" in the minds of many in Europe, went well; this does not say that a war with a greater giant such as Spain or France would bode the same outcome. I urge you to think carefully of your political and territorial moves on the traditional European powers. It is a well-known fact that Europe does not like change, the status-quo must be carefully preserved. If our reach oversteps our bounds, I fear we may not have such a beneficial end as we did with Denmark.

Yet, that aside, I must commemorate you on an excellent campaign. Glory to Louisiana and all its domains!

Yours respectfully,

Eber

Denmark, it seems, was enough of a match for our fledgling army and navy. We were lucky that secret negotiations with Belgium persuaded them to leave our shores in peace. Some belicose senators have been eying opportunities in the Spanish West Indies, especially the plantations of Cuba - but even a dying colonial power like Spain is a formidable prospect right now.

Dear Sir:

As a new immigrant to Louisiana's shores I am, of course, mindful of Marshal LeClerc's brilliant victories against the perfidious Dane.

Perhaps now is the time for discretion, however. While it is true the Americans are currently distracted over their slavery debate, and will remain so for some time with God's will, one day they will resolve it one way or the other.

Already some Americans consider whether they have a Manifest Destiny to rule this continent. While I've seen they may have more limited aims than in OTLs (other timelines propounded by alarmists and ne'er do wells), it seems implausible and unlikely they would abandon such ambitions entirely. While the lower states are no doubt safe, I would not be surprised to see them treacherously assert themselves north of St. Louis and so drive towards the Pacific.

We should be cautious.

Yours,
M. de Chevalier de Chat

Most in Louisiana's 'chattering classes' share your views, Sieur de Chat. Both the US and Britain are viewed with outright suspicion by most Acadiens. Were the Americans not so distracted by their own internal politics, and deterred by the possibility of British intervention, it is quite possible that they would have already sent brigades across the Great River to take possession of our lands.

While the Americans are not regarded as having core claims to Upper or Lower Louisiana, the government is ever mindful not to make Lousiiana appear infamous in the minds of our neighbours, lest we suffer the penalties of containment

18451top.jpg

18451bottom.jpg

Dear Sir,

It is imperative that the Republic move to protect our domains in Upper Louisiana. Bringing the area to the rule of law would be a good start to dissuade our neighbours of offering us provocation.

Yours concernedly,

RGB.

Dear Sir

I am full of hope for the actions of the new Liberal Government. Is there any possibility of increasing the number of elected seats in the Senate? Might we see some reforms to ease the plight of the deserving poor?

Yours faithfully

Mr A Alfredian

Dear Sir,

Although Col Fremont's deeds are praiseworthy, more needs to be done in order to protect the northern lands: the Americans may use the fugitive slaves as an excuse for an armed incursion to Upper Louisiana. This expedition could become permanent settlement if we allowed it. How is the Government protecting our borders; that I would like to know.

Yours sincerely,

M. de Santiago

PS: I see that the paper's price has doubled recently; Oh, the inflation!

Dear Sir

My staff had failed to make me aware of this price rise:

Is this extra cost a tax levied to enable our military to compete with European giants (like the Belgians)? Or perhaps there is a glossy supplement coming soon, with lavish engravings throughout?

Mr A Alfredian

Dear Sir,

It is imperative that the Republic move to protect our domains in Upper Louisiana. Bringing the area to the rule of law would be a good start to dissuade our neighbours of offering us provocation.

Yours concernedly,

RGB.

Manpower is the problem right now. The government, it seems, needs to offer further inducements for citizens to serve in the militia.

But there are to many slaves!
Just think how the society would enter anarchy if they all become jobless and start wandering around! :eek:

Indeed - if the wrong 'beta' policy were applied, the jobless might even disappear from the Earth entirely :eek:

Dear Sir

I am full of hope for the actions of the new Liberal Government. Is there any possibility of increasing the number of elected seats in the Senate? Might we see some reforms to ease the plight of the deserving poor?

Yours faithfully

Mr A Alfredian

I think the Lafeyettists would approve of that, since they are currently popular with the more numerous middle class electorate (voting is still based on property). However, the Bonapartists most certainly would not, and could object on the basis that it is revoking a privilege reserved for the Emperor (who is still in his minority).

Dear Sir,

Although Col Fremont's deeds are praiseworthy, more needs to be done in order to protect the northern lands: the Americans may use the fugitive slaves as an excuse for an armed incursion to Upper Louisiana. This expedition could become permanent settlement if we allowed it. How is the Government protecting our borders; that I would like to know.

Yours sincerely,

M. de Santiago

Again, more manpower is required. Our borders are, to all intents, an open door to all or most who want to enter (or leave, for that matter). Local gendarmaries are established in each department, but the sheer space that need patrolling is a big obstacle.

Dear Sir

My staff had failed to make me aware of this price rise:

Is this extra cost a tax levied to enable our military to compete with European giants (like the Belgians)? Or perhaps there is a glossy supplement coming soon, with lavish engravings throughout?

Mr A Alfredian

Hopefully lavish engravings! A census update is due soon, and perhaps other goodies, too!