• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dear Sir,

May I inquire as to the nature of the rebellions in Quebec?

I seem to have mislaid the page it was printed on.

Yours,

RGB.

Ha. Democracy? Like immigrating westwards and rebelling against the local authorities? Treason against the state and founding new oppressive republics?

It must the the 1837 1838 rebellions!

Dear Sir

When I was reading your usually most excellent paper, I could not fail to notice a, indeed, major printing error. It would seem that in your article on the Texien independence you accidentally printed the text regarding the details of the peace treaty twice, something that was both noticeable and disturbing.
I had expected better from your editing staff, especially after many similar complains in earlier editions.

Yours

Mssr. Sometimes

Dear Sir

When I was reading your usually most excellent paper, I could not fail to notice a, indeed, major printing error. It would seem that in your article on the Texien independence you accidentally printed the text regarding the details of the peace treaty twice, something that was both noticeable and disturbing.
I had expected better from your editing staff, especially after many similar complains in earlier editions.

Yours

Mssr. Sometimes

Thank you for pointing out the error. The staff members concerned have been dismissed, and sent to the poorhouse.

Dear Sir:

Vive Beauvais! Vive le Parti de La Fayette! À bas les grands blancs! À bas l'ancien régime!

If there is to be any future for La Louisiane, it is to be found in the industrious class of her free men.

Certainly some few may grow quite rich from others' bondage, but never will our shores attract the number of immigrants needed to open the West or challenge the fecund Americans without the promise of a life at a respectable wage.

For the safety of the republic, we require an end to slavery and a tarriff!*

Your faithful reader,
Léolin DE LLOYD,
Conseiller d'arrondissement IV, Nouvelle-Orléans

[*For all I know, in-game, all your liberal parties are free trade & all the conservative ones protective. IRL, though, export-driven agrarian communities like the South were uninterested in protecting their native manufactures & feared trade wars. It was the progressives and liberals who pushed through protective tarriffs, with the planters kicking and screaming all the way.]

Dear Sir

At last a Liberal Party to challenge the absolutist tendencies of the Bonapartists. They shall have my vote.

However, I cannot help but express my worry at sacking a staff member purely on the grounds of incompetance. This seems more an English than French approach. Have his fellow staff failed to start the normal national strike over his sacking?

Yours faithfully

Mr A Alfredian

Dear Sir,

To all those decrying the recent war debt accrued by Dupre, isn't upholding the freedom of our sister republic well worth 5,000 Acadien Francs?

M. Blanc

[And talking of rebellions in Quebec, what's going to happen with St Domingue? Wasn't around this time that the Spanish-speaking Dominicans rebelled against Haiti?]

lettersf.png

If Napoléon III can make the same things in this history than in the OTL, Louisiana could gain an all powerful ally!

In OTL, Napoleon III spent some time in Central America before returning to France for the Presidential Election. This time around, he'll probably try his hand in Louisianais politics instead. He's going to be the infusion of new blood the Bonapartists need.

Ha. Democracy? Like immigrating westwards and rebelling against the local authorities? Treason against the state and founding new oppressive republics?

Well, we do have the shining beacon of democracy and equality to our east to learn from ;)

Dear Sir,

May I inquire as to the nature of the rebellions in Quebec?

I seem to have mislaid the page it was printed on.

Yours,

RGB.

It must the the 1837 1838 rebellions!

Dear sir

Why are Quobec revolting?

From your faithful reader

Derekc2

p.s. When are you countinouing this?

Yes, those are the OTL 1837/8 rebellions. There's no in-game activity, that's why I relegated it to a footnote on the 'inside pages'. We'll have to wait a bit longer for reunification with our northern brothers.

Dear Sir:

Vive Beauvais! Vive le Parti de La Fayette! À bas les grands blancs! À bas l'ancien régime!

If there is to be any future for La Louisiane, it is to be found in the industrious class of her free men.

Certainly some few may grow quite rich from others' bondage, but never will our shores attract the number of immigrants needed to open the West or challenge the fecund Americans without the promise of a life at a respectable wage.

For the safety of the republic, we require an end to slavery and a tarriff!*

Your faithful reader,
Léolin DE LLOYD,
Conseiller d'arrondissement IV, Nouvelle-Orléans

[*For all I know, in-game, all your liberal parties are free trade & all the conservative ones protective. IRL, though, export-driven agrarian communities like the South were uninterested in protecting their native manufactures & feared trade wars. It was the progressives and liberals who pushed through protective tarriffs, with the planters kicking and screaming all the way.]

I didn't know that about tariffs - interesting. Louisiana will certainly need to move away from an agrarian economy in order to compete on the world stage. The liberals have the intellectual superiority right now, but their anti-slavery stance is opposed by a large section of society. It's an uphill battle. Immigration is my goal, but achieving it might be difficult.

Dear Sir

At last a Liberal Party to challenge the absolutist tendencies of the Bonapartists. They shall have my vote.

However, I cannot help but express my worry at sacking a staff member purely on the grounds of incompetance. This seems more an English than French approach. Have his fellow staff failed to start the normal national strike over his sacking?

Yours faithfully

Mr A Alfredian

:D

Dear Sir,

To all those decrying the recent war debt accrued by Dupre, isn't upholding the freedom of our sister republic well worth 5,000 Acadien Francs?

M. Blanc

[And talking of rebellions in Quebec, what's going to happen with St Domingue? Wasn't around this time that the Spanish-speaking Dominicans rebelled against Haiti?]

In OTL, Dominican uprisings did occur in the 1840s. However, in TTL, the continuation of slavery has altered matters. The Spanish-speaking free people have more in common with their French masters that the Dominicans did with the Haitians. Fear of the majority underclass binds them together.

Interesting style, good luck!

From a fellow competitor.

Thanks! Same to you!

18413top.jpg

18413bottom.jpg

Dear Sir,

While economic freedom is an admireable goal, it is unarguable that a certain amount of dirigisme is necessary to get a country's economic power into the ranks of the truly great modern nations.

Yours approvingly,

RGB.

Dear Sir:

Let me see if I am "reading between the lines" correctly. The below is my conjecture. The current government practices State Capitalism, just discovered Romanticism, is a Great Power (I suppose #8?), claims some territory in Texas and outlying Mexican territories due to the event of Fremont's expedition, and is now researching High and Low Pressure Steam Engines. The Netherlands signed the Treaty of London. Relations with the USA are somewhere between 50 and 80.

Am I correct? I have read other reports on similar situation, but this is the first such newspaper I have perused. The format is rather unfamiliar, and I am trying to rationalize the information into a more familiar setting.

Yours,
Messr. E. F.

Dear Sir,

I wanted to relay my extreme pleasure of reading your magnificent paper on Louisiana and its occurrences. A job well done.

I must say that I am worried about continuing "cordial" relations with the United States. I believe for Louisiana to proceed as a Great Power, relations must improve to relieve any concern of a diplomatic misfortune.

Yours respectfully,

Eber