• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
184510top.jpg

184510bottom.jpg

And, before I forget, head over to the quarterly AARland Choice Awards and vote for your favourite AARs. If you haven't done so before, voting is fairly simple and there are clear instructions. It's a great way to recognise excellent authors and their work, especially if you don't always have the time to comment on everything you read.

If you feel the need to vote for this piece, it should be nominated in the 'Victoria 2 History Book' category.

Voting ends April 30th.

Dear Sir

First of all I must say that this is a most excellent issue, although the matter handled within it was deeply disturbing.
Indeed, reading about these heretics and their plan to undermine Louisianne has both shocked and disgusted me. I hope that this Joseph Smith is punished by the full extension of the law, we simply cannot allow this kind of behaviour.

Sincerely
Mssr. Sometimes

P.S.

Joseph Smith was called a prophet, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum.

Dear Sir,

I am mortified to see that heretics like this would commit such atrocities against fine, law abiding citizens in our fair colonial regions. It is moments like this that it perhaps brings to question if American immigrants are truly worth it. I am aware not all are as these so-called "Saints" are, but this does present the question how we should handle matters with immigrants from the States.

With utter sincerity,
R.Q. Beauregard

Dictated but not read.

Dear Sir,

Outrageous! Simply outrageous! We opened our borders to the Americans, welcomed them in our homes and our farms and now a fringe group of extremists wants to create a state within a state?! I believe every man has the right to practise his/her religion of choice as long as it obeys the laws and institutions of the Nation. The idea of a "Kingdom of God" west of St Louis is simply seditious and should be dealt with as such. If the Americans won't take them back, the mexican desert is wide enough for them.

Yours sincerely,
M de Santiago

Last edited:
Dear Sir

In his indignation the M. le Bishop forgets that the threat of excommunication from the Catholic Church is unlikely to hold much fear for Protestants or these 'Latter Day Saints'.

Let us give them their parcel of wilderness. At least it will not be turned into a giant gambling den like some frontier towns.

Yours faithfully

Mr A. Alfredian

Dear Sir,

It is clear that amicable co-existence of this religious community with the Acadiens in Osage is not possible. On the other hand, we can't abandon our responsibility toward these new citizens of Louisiana either. Like M. Alfredian suggests, let the the government grant them some land in the Northwest territories where they can go about their business -and pay tax- in peace.

Yours secularly,

M. Blanc

Dear Sir,

In the spirit of "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite", let these Mormons stay and have their freedom. By repressing them, we become no better than the kings we overthrew, who slaughtered Huguenots for similar differences.

Sincerely,

Messr. E. F.

Dear Sir,

While the beliefs of this peculiar sect are certainly odd, and the legitimacy of this prophet of theirs dubious at best, that is not the most pressing issue in this situation. Far more important than petty theological squabbles is the matter of precedent this would set. If we were to allow these eccentrics their own private statelet on our national soil, how many others will be encouraged to arrive here in droves and demand the same? Every lunatic, heretic, subversive and criminal in the États-Unis who can muster a few thousand men and women under his banner will cross our borders and carve a piece of territory for himself! These "Saints" must either be firmly pressed to abandon their scheme, or expelled for sedition. The Northern departments, yet largely untamed, are the future of our great nation, and we must guard them with our lives.

In addition, I fear there must have been a printing error, or perhaps a mistake by one of your correspondents. Unless Monsieur Smith was a Catholic before his elevation to prophetic status, I hardly think excommunication has any effect upon him. Perhaps His Excellency the Bishop has merely correctly stated him to be anathema to all God-fearing men, as he preaches a false Gospel?

Regards,

M. de Salopard

Congratulations AllmyJames - for your unique and well crafted graphical style, in addition to great writing, you have been awarded AARtist of the Month for May. :)

Dear Sir,

Congratulations on receiving the prestigious Publishers' Award!

As for the matters concerning this nation, I too support the idea of an independent settlement for the Mormons - but not anywhere near our esteemed neighbours, lest they feel the need to intervene in the future.

Yours,

RGB.

Dear Sir,

I would like to reprint this letter written by cousin, Mnsr. Molyneaux, concerning the recent crisis in St.Louis:

It is the French tradition, dating back to the Revolution and continued by L'Empereur, to pursue laicism in government. As a Lafayettist I embrace these principles as should all Orleanois - not the state religion of Europe or the "freedom" to impress one's religion on others as in the United States, but an active and government pursued secularism for public society - allowing our Catholic values as a people to flourish in their private domain and allowing others to pursue their own religions, while maintaining a strong unified French culture. We should not force Catholicism on others, but neither should we allow others to dilute French culture with their religions; in a French state the freedom of religion must go both ways, must it not?

We are trying to build a unified society, a bastion of French civilization, are we not?

Cher monsieur,

Would it be possible for you to provide us with the mod in a downloadable format ? We would all be much obliged.

Bien cordialement,

Moi-même

Dear Mr migsjalv

Are you suggesting that The Star should move into publishing boardgames [mods] as well as papers? Soon The Star will be a huge conglomerate with these diverse range of activities.

Yours sincerely

Mr A Alfredian

Dear Mr migsjalv

Are you suggesting that The Star should move into publishing boardgames [mods] as well as papers? Soon The Star will be a huge conglomerate with these diverse range of activities.

Yours sincerely

Mr A Alfredian
Dear Mr. Alfredian,

It was my understanding that in past letters to the editor, once the publication had reached a certain progression point and that the kinks had been worked out, The Star would indeed release a board game of our history. However, perhaps the publishers have decided not to do this at this current point. I'm uncertain. I personally would enjoy it if it was released, as it could be a very educational and delightful game to educate my children-- and perhaps myself to a much lesser degree --on the grand country that is Louisiana.

With utter sincerity,
R.Q. Beauregard

Dictated but not read.

Dear Sir

First of all I must say that this is a most excellent issue, although the matter handled within it was deeply disturbing.
Indeed, reading about these heretics and their plan to undermine Louisianne has both shocked and disgusted me. I hope that this Joseph Smith is punished by the full extension of the law, we simply cannot allow this kind of behaviour.

Sincerely
Mssr. Sometimes

P.S.

Joseph Smith was called a prophet, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum.

Dear Sir,

It is clear that amicable co-existence of this religious community with the Acadiens in Osage is not possible. On the other hand, we can't abandon our responsibility toward these new citizens of Louisiana either. Like M. Alfredian suggests, let the the government grant them some land in the Northwest territories where they can go about their business -and pay tax- in peace.

Yours secularly,

M. Blanc

Dear Sir,

In the spirit of "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite", let these Mormons stay and have their freedom. By repressing them, we become no better than the kings we overthrew, who slaughtered Huguenots for similar differences.

Sincerely,

Messr. E. F.

Just like the OTL United States, Louisiana is caught between its constitutional commitment to freedom of religion and its citizens' opinions regarding strange sects like Mormonism. It'll be interesting to see what the Mexicans make of the 'Saints'...

Dear Sir,

I am mortified to see that heretics like this would commit such atrocities against fine, law abiding citizens in our fair colonial regions. It is moments like this that it perhaps brings to question if American immigrants are truly worth it. I am aware not all are as these so-called "Saints" are, but this does present the question how we should handle matters with immigrants from the States.

With utter sincerity,
R.Q. Beauregard

Dictated but not read.

Dear Sir,

I would like to reprint this letter written by cousin, Mnsr. Molyneaux, concerning the recent crisis in St.Louis:

It is the French tradition, dating back to the Revolution and continued by L'Empereur, to pursue laicism in government. As a Lafayettist I embrace these principles as should all Orleanois - not the state religion of Europe or the "freedom" to impress one's religion on others as in the United States, but an active and government pursued secularism for public society - allowing our Catholic values as a people to flourish in their private domain and allowing others to pursue their own religions, while maintaining a strong unified French culture. We should not force Catholicism on others, but neither should we allow others to dilute French culture with their religions; in a French state the freedom of religion must go both ways, must it not?

We are trying to build a unified society, a bastion of French civilization, are we not?

Yes, immigration is something of an issue. A comprehensive policy is out of the question, given that we have many thousands of miles of border with the United States. In addition, at this point Louisiana exists mostly at the US's whim. Your comments reflect the discussion within Louisiana nicely!

Dear Sir,

Outrageous! Simply outrageous! We opened our borders to the Americans, welcomed them in our homes and our farms and now a fringe group of extremists wants to create a state within a state?! I believe every man has the right to practise his/her religion of choice as long as it obeys the laws and institutions of the Nation. The idea of a "Kingdom of God" west of St Louis is simply seditious and should be dealt with as such. If the Americans won't take them back, the mexican desert is wide enough for them.

Yours sincerely,
M de Santiago

I suspect that's where the Americans are heading. But I can tell you we won't have heard the last of them!

Dear Sir

In his indignation the M. le Bishop forgets that the threat of excommunication from the Catholic Church is unlikely to hold much fear for Protestants or these 'Latter Day Saints'.

Let us give them their parcel of wilderness. At least it will not be turned into a giant gambling den like some frontier towns.

Yours faithfully

Mr A. Alfredian

Dear Sir,

While the beliefs of this peculiar sect are certainly odd, and the legitimacy of this prophet of theirs dubious at best, that is not the most pressing issue in this situation. Far more important than petty theological squabbles is the matter of precedent this would set. If we were to allow these eccentrics their own private statelet on our national soil, how many others will be encouraged to arrive here in droves and demand the same? Every lunatic, heretic, subversive and criminal in the États-Unis who can muster a few thousand men and women under his banner will cross our borders and carve a piece of territory for himself! These "Saints" must either be firmly pressed to abandon their scheme, or expelled for sedition. The Northern departments, yet largely untamed, are the future of our great nation, and we must guard them with our lives.

In addition, I fear there must have been a printing error, or perhaps a mistake by one of your correspondents. Unless Monsieur Smith was a Catholic before his elevation to prophetic status, I hardly think excommunication has any effect upon him. Perhaps His Excellency the Bishop has merely correctly stated him to be anathema to all God-fearing men, as he preaches a false Gospel?

Regards,

M. de Salopard

I think you're right - declaring them Anathema would have been more appropriate. Nonetheless, the conflict between church and state is clear.

Congratulations AllmyJames - for your unique and well crafted graphical style, in addition to great writing, you have been awarded AARtist of the Month for May. :)

Thank you very much, sir! The plaque will hang upon our editor's office with pride!

Cher monsieur,

Would it be possible for you to provide us with the mod in a downloadable format ? We would all be much obliged.

Bien cordialement,

Moi-même

Dear Mr migsjalv

Yours sincerely

Mr A Alfredian

Dear Mr. Alfredian,

It was my understanding that in past letters to the editor, once the publication had reached a certain progression point and that the kinks had been worked out, The Star would indeed release a board game of our history. However, perhaps the publishers have decided not to do this at this current point. I'm uncertain. I personally would enjoy it if it was released, as it could be a very educational and delightful game to educate my children-- and perhaps myself to a much lesser degree --on the grand country that is Louisiana.

With utter sincerity,
R.Q. Beauregard

Dictated but not read.

The Star is working on such a board game as we speak. I haven't released anything yet, since it is very much a work in progress. Lots of tweaking regarding the rules, board design and event/decision cards is still taking place. I promise I will release it when I'm satisfied, however!

18467.png

census1845.png

census1845mapljp.jpg

Last edited:
No emigration from Saint Domingue? That place looks crowded. :p

Strangely enough, the slaves have a hard time buying steamship tickets :p