• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a very unique and interesting AAR. I wonder who will win the Napoleonic War. Perhaps a Coalition victory will lead to France being forced to grant independence ot Louisiana.

lettersf.png

Dear Sir:
Damn, in this timeline they killed Zorro again!

Ah, but Zorro never truly dies! Viva la Revolution!

Dear Sir:
Down with the interweb, Up with the old-fashioned newspaper. I look forward to reading more.

Indeed. But up with the many different pieces of software I need to use to cobble this together!

Dear Sir:
Great!!!! I'm suscribing! What are the plan of Louisiana concerning their brothers in Québec?

Glad to hear it! I'd love to be able to march in victory through the streets of Québec or Montréal, but, given the UK's dominance, that would take a lot of luck, I think.

Dear Sir:
Does the USA have cores on you?

Initially I left the USA with one or two cores along the border, but in every test game that led to an immediate DOW. So I ended up removing all US cores on my territory. I think I also changed 'Manifest Destiny' to make it contingent on their having a border with Mexico. When you see the new map of North America, geopolitical power will be much more balanced in this time line.

Dear Sir:
Joseph, Joseph. Come on. Play nice, maybe the Mexicans will like you.

The elder Napoleon doesn't quite seem to have grasped the ability to win friends and influence people, does he? I bet he wishes he'd stayed in Naples now.

Dear Sir:
This is a very unique and interesting AAR. I wonder who will win the Napoleonic War. Perhaps a Coalition victory will lead to France being forced to grant independence ot Louisiana.

Thanks! It always seemed like an intriguing possibility to me: what if the Haitian rebellion had failed, and so the US hadn't bought Louisiana from France? A whole host of opportunities presented themselves to me! You'll soon discover what the consequences are in this time line. I won't spoil it for you, but you're on the right track.

Dear Sir:
Well this is novel - excellent all round, I shall be following.

Dear Sir:
This is great! I will be definitely be following this! :)

Dear Sir:
Yeah, this is a very clever way to tell the story of your AAR. I'll be sure to keep reading.

Dear Sir:
Glad I noticed your signature.

I hate it when a good AAR pops up and I have no idea it's there.

Thanks everyone! Always nice to have more readers! Be sure to give constructive criticism as necessary. I enjoy many of your own AARs immensely, so I'll value your comments.

***​

To All: Not long to go now - the next issue contains some ramifications of France's retention of Louisiana, and how it affects OTL events, but the biggest one of all is yet to come. See if you can spot where I'm going with this...

Last edited:
jan1815top.png

jan1815bottom.png

Last edited:
Oooh, I think I know where you're going with this! :D

Boney packs his bags and his trusty personal guard and either exiles himself or is exiled to Louisiana, where his trusted lapdog Rochambeau (the butcher of Haiti! :mad:) declares independence from France. Meanwhile, the French are in no position to reassert themselves in America and the British are similarly unable to commit themselves to further prolongued warfare in Louisiana due to the defeats from the US, and we get either a Republic or a New World Empire under the loving and protective heel of the Bonapartes. :p

Is Louisiana French speaking? Also, can we get a map?

I vaguely know how large the Louisian Territory is but would appreciate seeing how large your state is and where it is in relation to British Canada, the US and Mexico.

I vaguely know how large the Louisian Territory is but would appreciate seeing how large your state is and where it is in relation to British Canada, the US and Mexico.

Indeed. I think the situation with Texas would also be markedly different in this timeline, with the settlers probably being French rather than American, and Louisiana intervening on their behalf. Man, that'd give the forum's Texans an aneurysm! Rappelez-vous l'Alamo! :D

Upon reading your article, and the British objections to the island of Elba, I immediately thought 'wouldn't the New World be sufficiently away from Europe to placate British concerns'? I'm sure the people of Louisiana would be thrilled to accommodate their emperor in his peaceful retirement.

Minor note: the electric and magnetic forces were unified at around 1860, so I'm not sure if the term 'electromagnetic' would have been used before that.

Dear Sir:

This is a fantastic AAR, extremely innovative in concept and beautifully rendered. Though I must take umbrage with the Letter to the Editor who referred to the Hon. Gov. Rochembeau as a "butcher." I have it on good athority that the Governer has never once set foot in an abattoir.

Moreover, as the hon. gentleman referred to the 'Haiti' 'incident,' he should be reminded that the slaves in question were clearly Enemies of the Revolution and of our beloved Emperor, making Rochembeau a Hero and Patriot. Had they risen up against British Despots, they would have been Freedom Fighters and our Brothers In Arms and this theoretical John Bull Rochembeau would, indeed, be a butcher. Really, it is the slaves own fault for getting themselves abducted and sold to the wrong island.

I shall look forward to reading more.

Yours,

Rt. Hon. Alfred Packer, Esq.

Dear Sir;

I would like to make a proposal that all letters sent in the post(s) to The Star are formatted in the following way, for ease of communication and publishing as well as formal good taste:

"Dear Sir:

Lorem Ipsum, et cetera

Yours,

X"

Does the editor of this fine publication approve?

Yours,

Phalanxia

Last edited:
Boney packs his bags and his trusty personal guard and either exiles himself or is exiled to Louisiana, where his trusted lapdog Rochambeau (the butcher of Haiti! :mad:) declares independence from France. Meanwhile, the French are in no position to reassert themselves in America and the British are similarly unable to commit themselves to further prolongued warfare in Louisiana due to the defeats from the US, and we get either a Republic or a New World Empire under the loving and protective heel of the Bonapartes. :p

Well, it was supposed to happen in RL. Just that it was in Texas. But it doesn't matter where it is, a Bonaparte empire in America is just deliciously cool. And evil. :D

If it really is going to happen like that, mad expansion would surely follow. If we get a republic however, we might get a small future USA, poking their noses in other peoples bussiness. :p Either way, will be fun to watch how the situation evolves.

Dear Sir,

It is most distressing to hear of the Deposition of our beloved Emperor and Guardian of the Ideals of Revolution. The Citizens of New Orleans, I should Hope, are ready to welcome him wtih open Arms if he chooses to avail himself of our Hospitality. As the recent Events have shown, Louisiana remains a firm Stronghold against the Tyrants of Albion and would gladly shelter the Bonapartes from British Persecution.

Yours,

Mssr. Rene-Gilbert de Baie

lettersf.png

Dear Sir;

I would like to make a proposal that all letters sent in the post(s) to The Star are formatted in the following way, for ease of communication and publishing as well as formal good taste:

"Dear Sir:

Lorem Ipsum, et cetera

Yours,

X"

Does the editor of this fine publication approve?

Yours,

Subotan

Indeed - I find that format most agreeable, Sir. It is only to be encouraged. Of course, the editorial team will continue to reformat any wayward correspondence that does not conform to these norms.

Dear Sir:

Damn, they kicked Napoleon out.
Now who would've predicted that...

Yours,

Enewald

The defeat of France and exile of the Emperor would have been unthinkable several years ago. However, with the forces of Europe arranged against him, His Imperial Majesty has been under considerable pressure for some time. At least the Coalition forces have shown mercy in allowing him to retain the titles and status due him.

Dear Sir:

Yours,

Tommy4ever

Louisiana, at this point, is predominantly Francophone. The period of Spanish rule did little to change the culture of the province, and without the US meddling, French should retain the upper hand. In game terms, I've given them both French and French-Canadian as accepted cultures. I'll try and work a map into the next update. Basically, Louisiana will begin with all the U.S. territory West of the Mississippi in the 1836 scenario (minus the single province in Idaho)

Dear Sir:

This is a fantastic AAR, extremely innovative in concept and beautifully rendered. Though I must take umbrage with the Letter to the Editor who referred to the Hon. Gov. Rochembeau as a "butcher." I have it on good authority that the Governor has never once set foot in an abattoir.

Moreover, as the hon. gentleman referred to the 'Haiti' 'incident,' he should be reminded that the slaves in question were clearly Enemies of the Revolution and of our beloved Emperor, making Rochembeau a Hero and Patriot. Had they risen up against British Despots, they would have been Freedom Fighters and our Brothers In Arms and this theoretical John Bull Rochembeau would, indeed, be a butcher. Really, it is the slaves own fault for getting themselves abducted and sold to the wrong island.

I shall look forward to reading more.

Yours,

Rt. Hon. Alfred Packer, Esq.

The editor is pleased to receive your positive comments regarding the newspaper. Most of your compatriots share your views on the esteemed Governor Rochembeau, and his predecessor LeClerc - both heroes of the suppression of Saint Domingue. Unfortunately, discontent among the slaves and gens de coleur on the island is high, so their subjugation is far from assured.

Dear Sir:

Minor note: the electric and magnetic forces were unified at around 1860, so I'm not sure if the term 'electromagnetic' would have been used before that.

Yours,

Selzro

The quote I used is taken directly from OTL (an anonymous American), and is supposed to be contemporaneous - at least according to my source at the University of Wikipedia. I have to say that I share your concerns, however.

Speculation On the Emperor Napoleon's Exile:

Dear Sir:

Oooh, I think I know where you're going with this! :D

Indeed. I think the situation with Texas would also be markedly different in this timeline, with the settlers probably being French rather than American, and Louisiana intervening on their behalf. Man, that'd give the forum's Texans an aneurysm! Rappelez-vous l'Alamo! :D

Yours,

Morsky

Dear Sir:

Upon reading your article, and the British objections to the island of Elba, I immediately thought 'wouldn't the New World be sufficiently away from Europe to placate British concerns'? I'm sure the people of Louisiana would be thrilled to accommodate their emperor in his peaceful retirement.

Yours,

Selzro

Dear Sir:

Well, it was supposed to happen in RL. Just that it was in Texas. But it doesn't matter where it is, a Bonaparte empire in America is just deliciously cool. And evil. :D

If it really is going to happen like that, mad expansion would surely follow. If we get a republic however, we might get a small future USA, poking their noses in other peoples bussiness. :p Either way, will be fun to watch how the situation evolves.

Yours,

Vesimir

Dear Sir,

It is most distressing to hear of the Deposition of our beloved Emperor and Guardian of the Ideals of Revolution. The Citizens of New Orleans, I should Hope, are ready to welcome him wtih open Arms if he chooses to avail himself of our Hospitality. As the recent Events have shown, Louisiana remains a firm Stronghold against the Tyrants of Albion and would gladly shelter the Bonapartes from British Persecution.

Yours,

Mssr. Rene-Gilbert de Baie

It looks like the jig is up - you've guessed the main thrust of the rather-large-butterfly which disrupts this timeline! I decided that it was more likely that the Coalition would send Napoleon to Louisiana, rather than him traveling there himself. The British concern about Elba was genuine in OTL, but Napoleon escaped before they could do anything about it - and then it was off to St Helena. But what if the Hundred Days and Waterloo never happened? If Napoleon could be Emperor of Elba, why not Emperor of an empty buffer state like Louisiana? Once I load the game, and give you the facts on the ground, it's going to feel like a rather long way from France for me, as well! A sparsely-populated wilderness where Napoleon can do no harm except to the US or Mexico. And they weren't invited to the conference!

I had toyed with the idea of an independent Republic, but, in the words of Vesimir, it's just too deliciously cool, and evil to have the Bonapartes in America! But before anyone begins imagining the Imperial Guard marching down the National Mall in Washington - Louisiana definitely begins as the poorest of the North American powers. In addition, the Great Powers are unlikely to let their nemesis rearm so easily!

Whether the Louisianans themselves are so pleased with the turn of events is less clear - the New World French were generally conservative (Catholics, Monarchists) so that's a plus. But presumably the American and British garrisons are less welcome!

I'm still pondering the Texas situation. I like the absurdity of a French-speaking Texas. I've only been playing test games so far, so maybe I'll incorporate some of those ideas before I begin.

Last edited:
Ohhh I like the idea. Especially since if Napoleon would go in America, he would be followed by thousands of exiles: the best soldiers, the best scientist of France, many intellectual in France, Poland, Germany (Goethe). How could you dream a better start for the new French Empire of America?

And for Quebec, just bid your time..and support the 1837-1838 rebellion!!!

And if I might add, it was the dream of the Empereur to go to America after the 100 jours.

Ohhh I like the idea. Especially since if Napoleon would go in America, he would be followed by thousands of exiles: the best soldiers, the best scientist of France, many intellectual in France, Poland, Germany (Goethe). How could you dream a better start for the new French Empire of America?

And for Quebec, just bid your time..and support the 1837-1838 rebellion!!!

And if I might add, it was the dream of the Empereur to go to America after the 100 jours.

Thanks for the support - and I didn't know about Napoleon's American ambitions - very interesting! And I think you're right about the emigrees following Napoleon (although America was a long journey to make) - especially once the European monarchies went back to their reactionary ways - especially in France, Spain and Naples.
I'll do my best for my Quebecois brothers - Je me souviens!

jul1815top.png

jul1815bottom.png

Last edited:
Emperor of Louisiana? :p

I do hope that Louisiana doesn't simply become the personal domain of the Bonaparte dynasty.

How does the coalition expect the new Emperor to hold on to his vast realm with 400 men?

Emperor of Louisiana? :p

I do hope that Louisiana doesn't simply become the personal domain of the Bonaparte dynasty.

How does the coalition expect the new Emperor to hold on to his vast realm with 400 men?

By the treaty of Fontainebleau Napoleon was Emperor of Elba, so Emperor of Louisiana seemed appropriate. Besides, he's about to have a counterpart in the Emperor of Mexico in the 1820s!

I expect the Coalition's reasoning the same which led them to believe that giving Belgium to the Dutch would work out, and that humiliating France and reinstating the hated Bourbons would prevent the rise of republicanism! The British and American garrisons will help - as long, of course, as they don't end up at each other's throats the whole time!