+ Reply to Thread
Page 456 of 600 FirstFirst ... 356 381 406 431 446 454 455 456 457 458 466 481 506 531 556 ... LastLast
Results 9,101 to 9,120 of 11990

Thread: Quick questions / Quick answers -- EU3

Quote Originally Posted by Duskey View Post
    To check if your question has already been answered, please use the "Search this thread" function to the right.
    Sorry, cannot find that function. Also cannot search 9100 posts by hand, so I will ask this right away. Of course, if somebody told me where to find the "Seach this thread" function this would help, too.

I'd like to ask you guys what the rules are for shattering armies - meaning armies dying completely the moment combat begins. I encountered it before, but since now I always thought it happened when the dying army was SO extremely weak compared to the surviving one that there was some sort of instant defeat - rule.

However, today I lost a fresh regiment of 1000 irishmen, happily besieging an English fortress in Glamorgan, to a bunch of RETREATING (i.e. weakened in their moral department) English. It was two armies of English, army 1 consisting of two infantry and one cavalry regiment (survivors of battle before: 233/480/0) and army 2 consisting of a single infantry regiment (survivors 0/454/0). Neither me nor them had a general. Arrival date was the 30th, so no last minute reinforcements on the English side. Admittedly they had longbows, while I still had medieval infantry. I'm playing no mods, Heir to the Throne, no new updates available via the launcher, the readme file giving me a "changes for 3.2.", so I guess I have a 3.2 patch for HTTT. Any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by grommile View Post
    As Denmark, which countries should I be declaring no-CB wars on to cut off Sweden's insult spam until I can get a higher land force limit than them?
    I'd probably start with something like Tunisia after all of N. Africa gets involved in the Castille-Grenada mess. Obviously the better option is to go after TO with one of your missions or whatever poor sap Muslim country is the crusade target.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainB View Post
    Sorry, cannot find that function. Also cannot search 9100 posts by hand, so I will ask this right away. Of course, if somebody told me where to find the "Seach this thread" function this would help, too.

I'd like to ask you guys what the rules are for shattering armies - meaning armies dying completely the moment combat begins. I encountered it before, but since now I always thought it happened when the dying army was SO extremely weak compared to the surviving one that there was some sort of instant defeat - rule.

However, today I lost a fresh regiment of 1000 irishmen, happily besieging an English fortress in Glamorgan, to a bunch of RETREATING (i.e. weakened in their moral department) English. It was two armies of English, army 1 consisting of two infantry and one cavalry regiment (survivors of battle before: 233/480/0) and army 2 consisting of a single infantry regiment (survivors 0/454/0). Neither me nor them had a general. Arrival date was the 30th, so no last minute reinforcements on the English side. Admittedly they had longbows, while I still had medieval infantry. I'm playing no mods, Heir to the Throne, no new updates available via the launcher, the readme file giving me a "changes for 3.2.", so I guess I have a 3.2 patch for HTTT. Any help appreciated!
    Search thread function is in the toolbar above the post texts below the thread title and forum navigation links (look to the right).

Armies are subject to instant elimination in the following cases:

effectively outnumbered by 10-1 or greater odds (10k to 1k of equivalent tech armies)
    entering combat with 0 morale against any force that has morale

additionally, if an army hits 0 morale before they are eligible to retreat it will be eliminated (but not instantly when the combat begins)

In your case, it would seem the enemy retreated before their morale hit 0 and attacked your force the month it was built when it had 0 morale. Armies are created with 0 morale and remain that way until the first day of the following month.

Okay, now this is interesting ... I have neither the option to search the thread nor to rate it ...

Thanks for the quick reply, though!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Okay, now this is interesting ... I have neither the option to search the thread nor to rate it ... )
    Interesting - that makes two of us.
    Last edited by ANO1453; 19-08-2012 at 01:18.
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

Okay, now this is interesting ... I have neither the option to search the thread nor to rate it ...

Thanks for the quick reply, though!
    Try to register the game. A lot of things on the forum remain invisible until you have added the EU3 games to the list. I was not aware that "search thread" was one of them, but it does not hurt to check.

Success depends on forethought videonfan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

As Denmark, which countries should I be declaring no-CB wars on to cut off Sweden's insult spam until I can get a higher land force limit than them?
    Once in a game as denmark england got so badly beaten that i and my pus conquered it and pretty much got north england and sweden stopped spamming me.
    IMO,your best bet is the most weakened nation of the HYW wars,be that France or England or Burgundy.(viking style!)

Quote Originally Posted by brifbates View Post
    Armies are subject to instant elimination in the following cases:

effectively outnumbered by 10-1 or greater odds (10k to 1k of equivalent tech armies)
    entering combat with 0 morale against any force that has morale

additionally, if an army hits 0 morale before they are eligible to retreat it will be eliminated (but not instantly when the combat begins)

In your case, it would seem the enemy retreated before their morale hit 0 and attacked your force the month it was built when it had 0 morale. Armies are created with 0 morale and remain that way until the first day of the following month.
    Thanks for the answer. I fear however that the true reason for my regiment's death is still unclear. I guess I wasn't clear in my first post: I wrote "fresh regiment", but with fresh I meant not having been in combat (i.e., with full manpower and morale), not freshly built. They were an old regiment with full morale at that point.

@serzis:
    Thanks for the hint. Will do that as soon as I find the box in my relocation-boxes. Would never have guessed ...

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Serzis View Post
    Try to register the game. A lot of things on the forum remain invisible until you have added the EU3 games to the list. I was not aware that "search thread" was one of them, but it does not hurt to check.
    Could also be an issue with number of posts; I think some things don't unlock until you have 5 posts or something.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

What's a good way to get round Brandenburg's extreme case of "no, you cannot have a useful mission" and actually get something done instead of cooling my heels for decades at a time? (Having taken Hinterpommern, every time I complete a generic mission I get "Conquer Silesia!" - which wasn't happening when Bohemia owned Breslau, and certainly isn't happening now that Breslau belongs to a vassalized-by-Austria independent Silesia. When I cancel out of that, I get fed "Naval Race with Denmark" or "Protect against Bohemia/Poland".)
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

If you think someone's trolling, PM a moderator.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: Chronicles500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by jdrou View Post
    Could also be an issue with number of posts; I think some things don't unlock until you have 5 posts or something.
    I can't see it either - any further suggestions for the reason of the problem?
    CoT today, gone tomorrow
    A saying. Or so they say
    ---------
    EU3 AAR: Two lions and a yellow background (MPM)

What's a good way to get round Brandenburg's extreme case of "no, you cannot have a useful mission" and actually get something done instead of cooling my heels for decades at a time? (Having taken Hinterpommern, every time I complete a generic mission I get "Conquer Silesia!" - which wasn't happening when Bohemia owned Breslau, and certainly isn't happening now that Breslau belongs to a vassalized-by-Austria independent Silesia. When I cancel out of that, I get fed "Naval Race with Denmark" or "Protect against Bohemia/Poland".)
    It's not really possible to ignore the Breslau mission if you do not want to go into the event file and remove them. As for the generic "Naval..."/"Protect...," it's just bad luck.

Austria is a problem, but I personally find it quite easy to defeat Bohemia as Brandenburg. Even if you just have 16 v 30, you can crush Bohemia's stacks when you have MD and Men at Arms. When you start a war, they will move two (or more) 15 stacks into your capital and an adjacent province. Just move two provinces away from one of the stacks and it will assault the walls. Then you attack the depleted stack, pushing it until it wipes. As you hunt it one or two steps into Bohemia, the other stack with assault the fort (because you are 2 provinces away). As the first stack wipes, just turn around and crush the second stack. Then you just occupy Bohemia and take what you want. Other nations might enter the war, but if you have land in Ostpreussia, then they will mostly focus on that instead. The behavior seems surprisingly repetitive in my campaigns.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I should add: I'm playing a 5.2 beta at the moment. Anything that involves "assault forts at near-equal land tech and only a 10:1 advantage over the garrison" isn't happening. Especially given that the current 5.2 beta gives Brandenburg a starting LFL of 8.
    Nothing scares infantry like tanks that can see them. Nothing scares tank crews like infantry they can't see.

I'm fighting a war to put GB into a union as France. I have a huge economy but have neglected my navy they have 120 ships vs. my 35. So I need to take a huge chunk of the Island in order win the war but can't really land troops due to my small navy. They own all of Ireland/Scotland so I can't place troops through military access. Anyone have any tips on getting my troops onto the Island if I land 30k I should be able to beat them but would like to be able to get more to make it a little more of a sure thing.

The AI knows the location of every fleet you have at sea. Use this fact to your advantage.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by ANO1453 View Post
    I can't see it either - any further suggestions for the reason of the problem?
    Could be whatever the issue was with some people being unable to see any search function while others could. Not sure what that was.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Success depends on forethought videonfan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Should i unite Britain?
    Basically i control all the british isles expect orkney,france and some provinces in north-east spain up to barcelona.I am fully centralized so the only thing that will change is basically my colour and flag,and the current flag of england is much much more fitting than a british one that doesn't even have a reference to france.The only cooler thing is the colour though.I might form it if i change into a republci or the game reaches 1700

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesRome Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

As Irish and Welsh are not part of the UK culture union, there's not a great bonus from doing it if you're already fully centralized.
    Think you're good at EU3? Try your hand at our Games of the Month: May, 80 Years War, and June, Henry and the Dragon!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by videonfan View Post
    Should i unite Britain?
    Basically i control all the british isles expect orkney,france and some provinces in north-east spain up to barcelona.I am fully centralized so the only thing that will change is basically my colour and flag,and the current flag of england is much much more fitting than a british one that doesn't even have a reference to france.The only cooler thing is the colour though.I might form it if i change into a republci or the game reaches 1700
    There certainly doesn't appear to be a reason not to, unless you're doing a challenge or it doesn't fit into whatever RPing you're doing.

+ Reply to Thread