+ Reply to Thread
Page 380 of 602 FirstFirst ... 280 305 330 355 370 378 379 380 381 382 390 405 430 455 480 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,600 of 12029

Thread: Quick questions / Quick answers -- EU3

Europa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

How do you give someone else leadership in your war?

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by PdoxNewbie View Post
    How do you give someone else leadership in your war?
    You don't. On the attacker side the original attacker is always the leader and on the defender side the game picks the leader by size/strength of some sort (not sure of the exact details).
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've searched , but i can't find again the peace value occuring after 5+ years occupation ... If i remember it well , it goes down through time , with a minimum of 50% base value , but i don't recall at which rate ...
    do you know it?
    no more unfinished IN AAR's

Quote Originally Posted by sprites View Post
    I've searched , but i can't find again the peace value occuring after 5+ years occupation ... If i remember it well , it goes down through time , with a minimum of 50% base value , but i don't recall at which rate ...
    do you know it?
    I don't remember the rate. I do remember someone running some calculations, though, that show that the drop is negligible considering the time necessary and it's better to just go to war again 5 years later unless you only need 1 or 2 percent or you no longer have access to the CB.
    -Ruanek

Are they also going to fix Hansa missions if they fix the ones of Venice? We all know it's impossible to bring England back into the fold.

1)
    is there any way to make 2 AIs cancel an alliance between them? (not counting shogun/daimyo stuff).

2)
    is there any way to buy land? I v found out how to sell it.

3)
    is there any way to sweaten deals, like offer gold for alliances with big guys or something

I m sorta new at the game, and I cant find any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by lebigmac View Post
    1)
    is there any way to make 2 AIs cancel an alliance between them? (not counting shogun/daimyo stuff).

2)
    is there any way to buy land? I v found out how to sell it.

3)
    is there any way to sweaten deals, like offer gold for alliances with big guys or something

I m sorta new at the game, and I cant find any of those.
    1. If you're at war with one you can ask in the peace deal for it to end an alliance (10 warscore each, I think). You can't do it without war. (Well, you sort of can if you declare on one while the other is in a situation where they wouldn't want to honor the alliance, but that's hard to arrange.)

2. Unfortunately, no.

3. You can try to raise relations by sending gifts and royal marriage offers before sending the alliance one, but there's no guarantee it'll work. The AI tends to get to its 3 alliance limit fairly quickly anyway. so this probably wouldn't help much.
    -Ruanek

bah. Those seemed to be things one would expect to be able to do.

thanks for the answer though.

bah. Those seemed to be things one would expect to be able to do.

thanks for the answer though.
    They may well be. However the ai can't really handle all the variables in the game already and adding those would really open the door to exploiting the ai.

would rather have an exploitable ai, than cascading alliances without a means to cancel AI alliances. Besides, what strat game doesnt have exploitable AI to some extent. It took them til 2000 or so to make a chess comp that could beat a human. Its a little unfair to expect something with as many variables as a sandboxy strat game to be able to beat a human on equal terms. I m not asking for that, just a bit more sanity in what they prioritize to implement.

why implement cascading alliances, but choose not to have a way to mess with alliances outside of warfare. Either both or none please.

would rather have an exploitable ai, than cascading alliances without a means to cancel AI alliances. Besides, what strat game doesnt have exploitable AI to some extent. It took them til 2000 or so to make a chess comp that could beat a human. Its a little unfair to expect something with as many variables as a sandboxy strat game to be able to beat a human on equal terms. I m not asking for that, just a bit more sanity in what they prioritize to implement.

why implement cascading alliances, but choose not to have a way to mess with alliances outside of warfare. Either both or none please.
    Realistically speaking how would a nation end an alliance between two other nations except through warfare?
    -Ruanek

bribes
    ("hello france, have this massive stack of €€ so you can beat up England, in return, cancel your deal with targetstan plx ")

threats
    ("hello nobodystan-who-is-allied-to-targetstand-and-bbb-and-friends, please cancel your alliance or I will curbstomp you in 4 seconds flat ")

simple trading
    ("hello france, wouldnt you rather be allied with bigbadME instead of silly little targetstan, I promise to help vs England, and I have lotsa €€")

spies
    (ye olde horses-head-in-bed usually gets the point across, or oh I dunno plant evidence of betrayal)

Combination
    ("hello sir please help me push this cart. In return carrots and mah spies wont beat you with sticks today")
    Last edited by lebigmac; 16-04-2012 at 04:18.

Well, diplomacy is one-sided in EU3. Only one side offers stuff - the other side just chooses to accept it or not. If it was two-sided it would be a lot harder to make the AI do a decent job with it.

There's also the matter of prestige - a country wouldn't just give up its alliance with another country, which may have lasted through several wars and brought the countries close together.

For threats, why would they cancel the alliance? It's their only hope of protecting against you. It's like "I don't like your alliance. If you cancel it and make yourself more vulnerable to me, I won't attack you."
    -Ruanek

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Would this set of countries be balanced in an MP game (planning one with some friends who have bought the game)?

Holland (myself, have been playing the longest by far)
    Norway
    Scotland
    Aragon
    Naples
    Bavaria
    Muscowy
    Teutonic Order
    Reasons Why You Should Play Any Character in CK2
    Current playthrough(s): n/a, undecided
    generalolaf: 5/3/1, age: 17. No Legal Heir. Religion in province: Protestant. 100 Legitimacy, 30 Prestige, 0 Power Projection.
    Government: Constitutional Monarchy. Diplomatic Ideas (3), Religious Ideas (2), Administrative Ideas (0). 1 free advisor slot (Skill 1 Master of Mint, Skill 3 Theologian). Diplomatic Relations: 5/7 (Alliance; Guaranteed)

""Somehow the Neapolitans landed in Ireland -" That's very poor strategy on their side. Everybody know that pizza goes better with lager beer." - Victor Cortez

@ruanek
    they already have 2 sided negotiation outside of peace talks. Its shown in the interface used when selling provinces. That could be adopted for many other things.

this is where the trading comes into the picture. Prestige vs gold vs whatever. I find it pretty easy to imagine a situation where a threat would work.

if BBB threatens some 1province nobody to cancel their alliance with either burgundy or targetstan, what do you think would be smartest of 1province-nobody? scenario a) refuse and get obliterated, then france fights burgundy a bit and wastes some time/resources before white peace. scenario b) cancel either alliance, perhaps even get some ducats for it and an offer that BBB waits a year before attacking targetstan to let 1provincenobody was his hands of it....

hell you could even sell magistrates or spy services, though that would be really hard to code well.

(goodnight)

Since when does selling provinces have 2-sided negotiation? (Even peace talks don't really have it.) You offer some stuff to sell and a price, and they choose to accept it or not.

As for threats, you seem to forget that if the country really doesn't want to get destroyed by you in a war they can always refuse the call to arms.
    -Ruanek

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I imagine that allowing alliance-breaking as a diplomatic option would trigger chaos. There would be tons of complaints every day about how people keep losing their allies to pointless AI bribes, and how their relations and prestige keep being hit until everyone hates eachother.
    Nationality: British
    Religion: Sikh
    Ideology: Some nebulous liberal nonsense
    Issues: Civil Rights, Environmentalism, technology
    Current Occupation: University Student! Upgrade!

MODS: CK2 Better Mountains II Painterly CK2 CK2 Mongol Invasion

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by generalolaf View Post
    Would this set of countries be balanced in an MP game (planning one with some friends who have bought the game)?
    Holland Norway Scotland Aragon Naples Bavaria Muscowy Teutonic Order
    Rephrasing; Are these countries suitably equal for a Grand Campaign MP game?

I vote no. Also, this is NOT a quick question, as a negative answer has to explore why.
    I am going to take the arrogant liberty of turning this into a separate thread.
    [My apologies for the delay in linking to it, as the thread has been moved to the MP forum.]
    Last edited by KarlMonster; 17-04-2012 at 04:30. Reason: added link to thread location

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Fair enough. At the time I asked the question I was just thinking a yes/no answer would be fine, but after reading your explanations in the thread you posted, well, that's pretty much what I was looking for
    Reasons Why You Should Play Any Character in CK2
    Current playthrough(s): n/a, undecided
    generalolaf: 5/3/1, age: 17. No Legal Heir. Religion in province: Protestant. 100 Legitimacy, 30 Prestige, 0 Power Projection.
    Government: Constitutional Monarchy. Diplomatic Ideas (3), Religious Ideas (2), Administrative Ideas (0). 1 free advisor slot (Skill 1 Master of Mint, Skill 3 Theologian). Diplomatic Relations: 5/7 (Alliance; Guaranteed)

""Somehow the Neapolitans landed in Ireland -" That's very poor strategy on their side. Everybody know that pizza goes better with lager beer." - Victor Cortez

Why do the King Louis 'the sun king' type leaders die in weeks but the George W Bush skilled leaders live for 60 years?

+ Reply to Thread