+ Reply to Thread
Page 165 of 601 FirstFirst ... 65 90 115 140 155 163 164 165 166 167 175 190 215 240 265 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 12014

Thread: Quick questions / Quick answers -- EU3

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Big ships are simply far more useful. Galleys are mostly for buffing your numbers and for being cannon fodder for transports and big ships. Even in the med. the galleys aren't that useful.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure to keep an admiral around even if he's 0/0/0 as having one attached to your army increases positioning. Before the patches positioning was so overpowered that 10 carracks could beat 50, but it's toned down a bit more. Keep your navy size smallish though, don't go beyond 50, make a second navy instead.

Winner of Best Gameplay AAR (EU 1-3) Q3 2011
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 6/26/11; 9/2/2013

"i don't like ppl coyping me" - iwanow

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by gela1212 View Post
    Big ships are simply far more useful. Galleys are mostly for buffing your numbers and for being cannon fodder for transports and big ships. Even in the med. the galleys aren't that useful.

Edit: Oh yeah, make sure to keep an admiral around even if he's 0/0/0 as having one attached to your army increases positioning. Before the patches positioning was so overpowered that 10 carracks could beat 50, but it's toned down a bit more. Keep your navy size smallish though, don't go beyond 50, make a second navy instead.
    As a followup, what about big ships vs the barque's/frigates etc? Does their speed help any? Also, I don't have DW (using httT) so positioning should matter right?
    My mom always told me to be nicer. She said that I could catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. But I always found that a big pile of dog poop worked best.

Lost Empire - ImmortalsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    If you're using HTTT then it won't be as big of a deal.

Barques/frigates are nice, but I wouldn't make them your entire navy. Their main buff is definitely that extra speed and maneuvering capability.

I am playing with Historical Leader settings. Under that setting, is there really any use for Army/Navy Tradition or taking the Quest for the New World National Idea?

Divine Wind - Vanilla by the way.

(Sorry if this is kind of a noob question but I have 1430 England with Trade Tech 7 and I need to figure if I should start looking west, or just continue eating up France with my killer generals.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Roastbeef View Post
    I am playing with Historical Leader settings. Under that setting, is there really any use for Army/Navy Tradition or taking the Quest for the New World National Idea?

(Sorry if this is kind of a noob question but I have 1430 England with Trade Tech 7 and I need to figure if I should start looking west, or just continue eating up France with my killer generals.)
    No not really, as historical generals/conquistadors/etc. seem to have their stats built in.

Hi.

I tried searching in the mod section but couldn't find it so- what file do I have to edit to be able to culture shift with France? Save game compat?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maccyb View Post
    Hi.

I tried searching in the mod section but couldn't find it so- what file do I have to edit to be able to culture shift with France? Save game compat?
    Go to \common\cultures.txt and change the French culture group union to something that isn't FRA (Revolutionary France, maybe)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    No problem. Make sure to move your capital to a province of another culture, and that culture must also have a higher population than Cosmopolitan.

A higher population within my empire? So if I wanted to culture shift to Saxon German and form Germany I would have to conquer most of Germania first?

Deus VultDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2500k club

Blog Entries
    A higher population within my empire? So if I wanted to culture shift to Saxon German and form Germany I would have to conquer most of Germania first?
    You need to have more cores on the culture you want to shift too than any other culture in your empire. So 5 cores on Saxon German provinces and 2 on Cosmopolitan will allow you to do it.

Hmm, ok thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gela1212 View Post
    No not really, as historical generals/conquistadors/etc. seem to have their stats built in.
    Thank you for the quick answer; that's what I figured. Looks like I'll focus on beating up my Old World rivals instead then.

Newbie question: I just started a game with Portugal. I decided to pick on someone not too challenging, so I took the conquest CB of Morocco. I have 3 questions:

1.) When deciding on what I should sue for peace, im trying to see which provinces will be great to gain. I see one province has gold. It's producing gold yet it says the trade value is 0.0. Why is this? I thought gold was significant to have?

2.) To help occupy parts of morocco's army I sent spies to start nationalist revolts. These revolts resulted in the nationalists occupying 2 provinces while I am occupying all the rest. I've read, yet dont understand, how some people use nationalist rebellions to acquire land. Will I acquire some of these provinces from the nationalists? Can someone someone maybe explain why I would want to fund these nationalists and/or patriots?

3.) How come sometimes you can't start nationalist or patriot rebellions? It says the required unit does not exist when I look at the tooltip on why? Kinda vague, but maybe im misunderstanding something. Can someone clarify?

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries
    1) Gold is different than normal. It has a separate income section in the economy part of the flag menu, it has no trade value but has insane production value, etc. Taking gold is valuable. Basically all you need to know.

2) You're thinking of Patriots. Patriot-controlled provinces defect to you if they are loyal to you, but it takes forever, much longer than the auto-white peace time. But you don't want too many Moroccan provinces anyway unless you can connect them to your capital overland.

3) You need spies, money, and there has to be a valid rebel type. That basically means the province's culture cannot be the same as the primary culture for patriots, or there has to be another nation's cores there for nationalists. In addition, it seems Patriots are valid in a province where another nation has no cores but there is the Nationalism modifier (happens very rarely)

Hope this helps!

As always gela1212, thank you!!!

Europa Universalis: Chronicles

Playing as Burgundy and being HREmperor, will I loose the title when I become France? I assume, the capital will automatically be moved to Paris and therefore out of the Empire?

Quote Originally Posted by Uggh View Post
    Playing as Burgundy and being HREmperor, will I loose the title when I become France? I assume, the capital will automatically be moved to Paris and therefore out of the Empire?
    A nation outside the Empire can become Emperor, so long as it remains Christian.

You will only lose the crown when your monarch dies and any of the following is true:
    - You have no heir
    - You have a female (ineligible) heir
    - The electors vote for someone else
    - You have changed government to a republic or a theocracy and are therefore ineligible.

What will happen is that as France, you are considered a nation outside of the empire, which has a -50 modifier to being elected emperor, compared to the +50 to +150 for 'Large nation within HRE' that you get as Burgundy. Thus, it will become harder to remain emperor, unless the Electors are allied, married into your dynasty, or vassals.

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTiger View Post
    Newbie question: I just started a game with Portugal. I decided to pick on someone not too challenging, so I took the conquest CB of Morocco. I have 3 questions:

1.) When deciding on what I should sue for peace, im trying to see which provinces will be great to gain. I see one province has gold. It's producing gold yet it says the trade value is 0.0. Why is this? I thought gold was significant to have?

[snip]

Thanks guys!
    Always with the questions! *wink*

Remember, with the exception of Ceuta, Tangiers and Melilla, all North-african provinces are considered 'distant oversees' to European nations. This means -90% tax income. You'll get tariffs instead, which are based on a combination of taxes and production/trade value. Thus, you want high-pop provinces with valuable trade goods. No fish!

If you're not ready to sink a lot of money into making oversees provinces worthwhile, release them as vassals.

Update: No taxes means no nice yearly big lump of money from these provinces, instead, tarriffs are monthly income and go towards research. However, as your north africa is poor you'll likely slow your research speed down, as the benefit they bring is less than the increase in tech costs from owning more provinces.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome Gold
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

You can always add every French province to the Empire whilst you're Emperor, so that your capital is still within the Empire if you change nation. I've modded in Lotharingia, because BUR->FRA seems like an insult to the Bourgognes.
    Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Ancestor Moth scribe for CK 2: Elder Kings - can you rival Tiber Septim's power?
    Burgundy: A Dream of Lotharingia (a Death & Taxes AAR - in torpor)
    The Three Certainties of Life (a Byzantine D&T AAR - updated 19.02.14)

+ Reply to Thread