• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have another question:
Can (and do) vassals break free on their own? E.g. when my Prestige drops too low or when i annex other vassals and their relations drop in the negatives?

In my last game i had several vassals with relations of around -50 to -100 because of diploannexations and i wondered if they could turn against me sometime?

Thanks again LordLeto,

I'm having a little bit more luck with my allies now :p

So, I'm Portugal and I'm in Personal Union with Pommaria (in the other corner of Europe :p )
I'll never get cores, because it's a different cultural group.
So the best thing to do is just keep good relations and see if I inherit it, and if I don't, 50 years from now I can try integrate. Is that it? Gosh, 50 years is a lot...
I still don't have a heir, I hope not to be inherited by someone else first xD

Good news is that players can not be inherited.

Also, you won't get cores if you integrate.

I have another question:
Can (and do) vassals break free on their own? E.g. when my Prestige drops too low or when i annex other vassals and their relations drop in the negatives?

In my last game i had several vassals with relations of around -50 to -100 because of diploannexations and i wondered if they could turn against me sometime?

Only if they are not allied with their overlord.

How does colonial range work? I am reported to have one of 217, I think, even though my naval tech level says I can have 145.

Your base colonial range is given to you by naval tech. Various things then modify it, for example Quest for the new world gives you +50% naval range... which is probably what you have as 145 x 1.5 = 217.5.

1) How do you read the stars on your ruler? They do not correspond with the score that appears like a tool tip.

2) Is there any use in keeping a conquered province in the HRE if you are not a member? Sooner or later you are going to have a stability and decreased revenue hit when you refuse to give it back.

1) How do you read the stars on your ruler? They do not correspond with the score that appears like a tool tip.

The lowest stat you can have is 3, so you get 0 stars for a stat of 3. You just add one star for every stat above 3.

2) Is there any use in keeping a conquered province in the HRE if you are not a member? Sooner or later you are going to have a stability and decreased revenue hit when you refuse to give it back.

Of course. Every negative penalty is either one-time or will go away in 50 years.

I thought that if I inherit another country through a ruler change, I get cores on those provinces. This did not happen. I am playing 5.0. Is this a bug?

I'm reasonably sure that you don't get cores upon inheritance if the provinces are of a different culture, or if you force Integration.

I'm Naples in 1406, I've conquered Sicily, and I'm seeking to amass power before conquering the Papal States, probably expanding to Greece or North Africa. However, Castille annexed Tunisia, and Venice has 5 provinces in the Baltic/Greek west coast. Where should I expand, if it's advantageous to?

I thought that if I inherit another country through a ruler change, I get cores on those provinces. This did not happen. I am playing 5.0. Is this a bug?

As RPharazon mentioned, you only get cores on inheritance if the provinces are in the same cultural group as you. Forcing integration also does not give cores.

I'm playing as Venice (DW 5.0) and want to reduce myself to an OPM and vassalise as much as possible. It's 1403. I've vassalised Aquilea, Savoy, Montenegro and Achaea and released Albania and Crete. I sold Athens to Achaea, but I can't sell Treviso to Aquilea, even for zero ducats. Both of my remaining provinces are part of the HRE - does that have something to do with it? I vaguely remember a previous game in which I successfully sold Treviso, but I hadn't added it to the Empire.

I'm Naples in 1406, I've conquered Sicily, and I'm seeking to amass power before conquering the Papal States, probably expanding to Greece or North Africa. However, Castille annexed Tunisia, and Venice has 5 provinces in the Baltic/Greek west coast. Where should I expand, if it's advantageous to?

I would suggest going straight for the Papal States. With Sicily under your control, you should have the strength to take them on easily. Then, be opportunistic, grab anyone who doesn't have strong allies, hit the Ottomans if they get a Crusade called on them, absorb any Greek states that aren't guaranteed by everyone and their mother (including the Byzantines, if you get the chance) and eventually you should be able to form Italy. Once all of the rich Lombard provinces are in your grasp following a swift and brutal reconquest, the world is your oyster (well, once you've dealt with Austria, Blobhemia, France and the Ottomans :p).

I'm playing as Venice (DW 5.0) and want to reduce myself to an OPM and vassalise as much as possible. It's 1403. I've vassalised Aquilea, Savoy, Montenegro and Achaea and released Albania and Crete. I sold Athens to Achaea, but I can't sell Treviso to Aquilea, even for zero ducats. Both of my remaining provinces are part of the HRE - does that have something to do with it? I vaguely remember a previous game in which I successfully sold Treviso, but I hadn't added it to the Empire.

Like humans, AI countries won't touch HRE provinces that they don't have a core on, because they get saddled with the Unlawful Imperial Territory "bonus". I don't think Trevizo is cored by anyone other than Venice, so nobody other than Venice (you) will be able to own it lawfully.
Hope one of your neighbours gets a boundary dispute with you on Trevizo. Other than that, I doubt you could lose it aside from getting it conquered. Go declare war on Austria or Aquileia, if you want. Hope they don't annex you.

Funny, I just started and quit a game as Naples. I ally with Milan at the start and the first thing he does is declare against Sardinia so I think great, I can pick up an island really quick and do. Some time goes by and then Aragon/Portugal declare war on me - of course Aragon has a core on Sardinia! Oops.

Question with 3.2. I captured their Capitol (Palermo?) only and yet the Sicilians would allow me to take Messina in a Peace Deal even though I didn't control it (though I have a core). In what cases can you take a province you never even siege?

Hy guys!

I have one small question -- why mercenary units morale is so low? I have started the game with the last beta and found that their morale couldn't be more than 2.0 (your army maintenance). And no one modifier can increase or decrease it: MIL monarch, your prestige, your DP sliders etc. - nothing affects to mercenary morale.

Funny, I just started and quit a game as Naples. I ally with Milan at the start and the first thing he does is declare against Sardinia so I think great, I can pick up an island really quick and do. Some time goes by and then Aragon/Portugal declare war on me - of course Aragon has a core on Sardinia! Oops.

Question with 3.2. I captured their Capitol (Palermo?) only and yet the Sicilians would allow me to take Messina in a Peace Deal even though I didn't control it (though I have a core). In what cases can you take a province you never even siege?

The only time you can ask for a province you don't control is when you have a core on it. Naples has a core on both the Sicilian provinces.

You can also ask stuff for allies, but same rules apply, they need to directly control it or have a core on it.
Hy guys!

I have one small question -- why mercenary units morale is so low? I have started the game with the last beta and found that their morale couldn't be more than 2.0 (your army maintenance). And no one modifier can increase or decrease it: MIL monarch, your prestige, your DP sliders etc. - nothing affects to mercenary morale.

Hmmm not sure, don't personally use Mercs very often(unless its a low MP high money situation). But it might be coded not to, since they;re not technically 'your' troops they won't be affected by your winning personality.

Taedeios-- It's under the 'Helmet' tab, where you see your unit types (In the menu you get when you click your coat of arms in the top left). It should say 5/12 or something, and if you hover the mouse over it it shows the effects of your war exhaustion and the monthly change.

How exactly do I deal with the Reformation? I'm France and a number of my provinces have gone Protestant, but by no means a majority. I have just got the Religious Turmoil modifier - is there any way of getting rid of it? What is the best course of action for my nation?