• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Three questions:

1. I just got a peasant's war modifier - why was this caused and how long will it stay for?

2. How does dependency on gold (for inflation) work? Why am I dependent on it and how do I mitigate that?

3. How do I increase the rate at which I gain manpower?

Last edited:
I play Cherokee in the grand campaign and in the 1500s portugal starts colonizing the new world close to me, so far so good. Then I suddenly get a declaration of war from Burgundy?! Wtf. They dont have QFTNW, why do they see me? Shouldn't this be a privilege for Portugal, Spain, and England that chooses QFTNW. In late games I also see the new world messed up by a dozen strange countries that shouldn't be able to see it.

(I have deleted the content in the mapcache-folder) (Spread of land/sea provinces is on normal)

I play Cherokee in the grand campaign and in the 1500s portugal starts colonizing the new world close to me, so far so good. Then I suddenly get a declaration of war from Burgundy?! Wtf. They dont have QFTNW, why do they see me? Shouldn't this be a privilege for Portugal, Spain, and England that chooses QFTNW. In late games I also see the new world messed up by a dozen strange countries that shouldn't be able to see it.

(I have deleted the content in the mapcache-folder) (Spread of land/sea provinces is on normal)

If Portugal knows where you are, Burgundy will know 50years later as well. This will also mean that they know a searoute to your coast and (because you are native American) they will have a colonial conquest CB on you. Thus they declared war on you.

Three questions:

1. I just got a peasant's war modifier - why was this caused and how long will it stay for?

2. How does dependency on gold (for inflation) work? Why am I dependent on it and how do I mitigate that?

3. How do I increase the rate at which I gain manpower?

The first and second question are covered by the wiki, paradoxian.org. It involves raw numbers which you'll need to look up, but the gist is:

1. The event is caused by a high serfdom slider coupled with lowered stability, and will be removed when stability is maxed again, although after a mtth (mean time to happen). It can be avoided by going under a serfdom threshhold, again, check the wiki for the exact number please.

2. If your gold income exceeds a certain percentage of your total income, the monthly income you see in the budget tab, then you'll gain inflation from it. I seem to remember it's 40%, but better you check the wiki.

3. Only by increasing your total amount of manpower, through aquisition of new territory and/or the building of army structures (check their tooltips).

If Portugal knows where you are, Burgundy will know 50years later as well. This will also mean that they know a searoute to your coast and (because you are native American) they will have a colonial conquest CB on you. Thus they declared war on you.
It hadn't gone 50 years since portugal started colonizing so Burguny shouldn't be able to see me. This is early 1500s.

It's probably a cascading alliance, ie. Burgundy got a call to arms from Portugal and they accepted.
It wasn't portugal that declared war and I'm not sure if they could see me. They were a couple of provinces away from me, but they probably did yes.

It hadn't gone 50 years since portugal started colonizing so Burguny shouldn't be able to see me. This is early 1500s.

It wasn't portugal that declared war and I'm not sure if they could see me. They were a couple of provinces away from me, but they probably did yes.

Portugal can choose Qftnw as early as 1450 and will usually beeline its first explorers straight for the Americas. If you are interested you can check the save game file, to see when Portugal discovered your provinces.

Another question! The Armory promises me a manpower increase of 250 - is that monthly gain? Annual gain? One-off? Does it affect my national manpower forcelimit?

It adds this amount to your province manpower, which increases your maximum manpower and thereby your monthly gain.

Hi cultured people !

I have a question for your knowledgable minds.

Small cast iron cannons are better tech than culverins but they have fewer points. I get the curtain telling me small cast iron cannons are superior. They have the same military tactics value. What is it I am missing ?

Hi cultured people !

I have a question for your knowledgable minds.

Small cast iron cannons are better tech than culverins but they have fewer points. I get the curtain telling me small cast iron cannons are superior. They have the same military tactics value. What is it I am missing ?

Hmm, mods usually rebalance the unit types some for this reason (I play Improved Balance Mod), but it could be that if the new type has more fire pips than the old one, than, combined with the fire/shock modifiers, the new unit would still be better, even with less total pips. But that's really just a guess, you'd have to check yourself.

Ways to quickly reduce infamy? I understand that if you are Emperor you gain infamy for every province in the HRE which is not a core of its owner? As a result, I am gaining infamy and need to shed it (preferably without losing my hard-won warspoils). Will completely annexing Naples make this worse (I conquered 2 of their 5 provinces)?

Ways to quickly reduce infamy? I understand that if you are Emperor you gain infamy for every province in the HRE which is not a core of its owner? As a result, I am gaining infamy and need to shed it (preferably without losing my hard-won warspoils). Will completely annexing Naples make this worse (I conquered 2 of their 5 provinces)?

Not quite. ANY member of the empire that owns a territory anlawfully will incur infamy at .25/province. This will cease after you gain a core on the province (after 50 years of continued ownership). Reducing infamy is not easy. The best ways are to build an embassy (500D/730d) and you can only have one at a time, but it gives -.4 infamy. Also, hirering a diplomat can give up too -.3 infamy and they also spawn events that will reduce your infamy; which ambassadors do too btw.

Naples is not a part of the HRE, nor are any of it's provinces (don't really know if that's even possible). To check, select the empire view on your map tabs. All the green provinces are provinces of empire members. However not all those provinces have to be in the empire it seems. For example a member of the empire could own provinces in and out of the empire and they'd all show green, but when you check the tooltip you might find that some of his provinces, likely ones at his border, are not actually in the empire.

Nations that are not part of the empire can own as many empire provinces as they want without incurring an infamy penalty.

Ever since DW I've noticed the CoT map icon appearing in several provinces that don't have a CoT, what's the deal with this? In case you're wondering it's that little money bag with gold pouring out.

Question on navies I'd appreciate an answer too: Is it worth building a mixed navy of Galleys/Barques/Caravels? So far in my Holland game, its 1468, I've just pumped out big ships and cogs which seem to do me fine. But I guess each type of ship must have its respective advantages. I thought about using barques for exploration but the seem to take damage quicker from attrition than caravels negating the advantage in speed, from what I can tell anyway....