• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll apologize in advance if this is addressed elsewhere. I have a few questions on EU 3 and wasn't having too much luck with the online help quide I down loaded from here. In other words my system seems to choke on the guide and I have problems using it *Sigh* Anyway, here are my questions and I appreciate anyone who can offer any insight.

1) The game seems to run fine once I get it loaded, but the loading process itself takes somewhere around half an hour. Whats up with that? Is there any fix out for that?

2) I noticed in the guide mention of setting your National Focus. How exactly do you do that? I couldn't find where to go to accomplish this.

3) Likewise with looking at my ruler and seeing if he has an heir and what that heirs skills will be. It's probably somewhere real obvious but I couldnt find it.

All that said I really do like this game. I'm just not computer proficient enough to really be getting the most out of it yet. So far I've started a couple of test games to see how things work but with the slow load time I've gotten frustrated with it. By time the silly thing loads I'm half out of the mood to play it. At least with the earlier versions I could get it set up and be ready to go in just a couple of minutes. Now I have to plan ahead to have enough time to deal with it.

Does a warning from another nation take effect only when you Declare War? If you are brought into a war by a Call to Arms, does the Warner get a CB against you.

I'm sorry, may someone give some clues about how attrition/reinforcements work?
In my point of view, it is implemented very strange.

For example: I am Byzantium and at the start of the game. I'm starting a war with Savoy and they send a cog to me with 1000 men aboard to Constantinople. You know where Savoy is, right?
So, they unload their troops and fight my defs. After a quick win (I have "low maintenance") they have only 400 men to siege my capital. I'm confident that they can't siege me, but they quickly become reinforced after 2 months back to 1000. So, my question is - how? They are far away from home, across the sea, my fleet is near the shore, so how in the hell they reinforced? Do they mating so fast or what?

Does a warning from another nation take effect only when you Declare War? If you are brought into a war by a Call to Arms, does the Warner get a CB against you.

The warner only gets brought in when you declare war, so no.

I'm sorry, may someone give some clues about how attrition/reinforcements work?
In my point of view, it is implemented very strange.

For example: I am Byzantium and at the start of the game. I'm starting a war with Savoy and they send a cog to me with 1000 men aboard to Constantinople. You know where Savoy is, right?
So, they unload their troops and fight my defs. After a quick win (I have "low maintenance") they have only 400 men to siege my capital. I'm confident that they can't siege me, but they quickly become reinforced after 2 months back to 1000. So, my question is - how? They are far away from home, across the sea, my fleet is near the shore, so how in the hell they reinforced? Do they mating so fast or what?

Troops reinforce faster in their own (and allied or captured) provinces. I don't think distance actually affects things, because that would make attrition killer in the new world. They will suffer attrition if their army is fairly large (you can look in the province description) but if it's only 1000 men it won't suffer attrition and will reinforce those 600 men pretty quickly.

How do you force convert a tribe (ie. Tribal Conquest cb on Maya)?

You can only force convert in your religious group. Prot to Cath, Sunni to Shia, Hindu to Bhuddit, etc.

Yeah, that tool tip doesn't mean Forced Conversion is enabled by a CB, just that if you do it it costs 50% less infamy and nets you 100% prestige at 100% peace cost. The instances of this are rare but work if you're say Oman. Plenty of Sunni Tribal states around there to force convert.

That is to say, peace options are not enabled by a CB but rather modified by a CB.

That is to say, peace options are not enabled by a CB but rather modified by a CB.

except for claiming thrones. you need those specific CB's to claim a throne

Man, the search function is not working for me. This must have been brought up before...
Can I attack and take land from Japan? Can I defeat a daimyo and then tell the emperor of Japan to give me some land?

I havn't modded the game at all though. Is that still the place to ask?

Hm, what version are you playing? Are you playing in English? The missing texts (just_the_name_of_the_event) are definitely missing localisation files, but they shouldn't happen in the English version. Best to open a new thread with your information and we'll have a look at it! :)

Is there a command to quickly give cores via console?

I remember in another PI game (HoI I think) - you could designate cores to a nation via console command.

Not really planning on cheating a lot, but it's 1600s and I've yet to be able to colonize The Philippines (as Spain).

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I just can't seem to find the answer on my own:

I'd like to check the "Veterans' Home" event to see the triggering modifiers and so forth (and also to check the event number in case I need to fire it on my own, to be honest), but I can't find that event in any of the EUIII event files. I've looked and looked but no dice, so please...someone help me!

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to check the "Veterans' Home" event to see the triggering modifiers and so forth (and also to check the event number in case I need to fire it on my own, to be honest), but I can't find that event in any of the EUIII event files. I've looked and looked but no dice, so please...someone help me!
Province event 9475 in the 'National Focus' file.

Code:
trigger = {
		has_national_focus = yes
		owner = {
			NOT = { has_country_flag = veterans_home }
		}
		is_core = THIS
		owner = {
			war = no
			war_exhaustion = 5
		}

}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		months = 1200

Hm, what version are you playing? Are you playing in English? The missing texts (just_the_name_of_the_event) are definitely missing localisation files, but they shouldn't happen in the English version. Best to open a new thread with your information and we'll have a look at it! :)

Yeah it's in english. Where should I open the thread and what infomation should I include?

Haven't played EU3 in AAGES (lost savegame due to computer problems etc). Getting Chronicles to replace my Complete in a few days. A few quick things:

1. Do Austria/Hungary/Bohemia have the highest tech level?
2. With sieges, how do troop numbers/type of troop affect the speed of the siege?
3. Same with assaults. Eg. what are the best types for sieging?

All western nations start at the same technology levels: 3 across the board.

2. With sieges, how do troop numbers/type of troop affect the speed of the siege?

Cannons affect the speed of sieges, as well as leader siege. There is somewhere a post on this topic, but for the life for me I can't remember where. I think the cannon multiplier for most effect is 3. So if you are attacking a fort of lvl2 having 6 cannons will speed it up as much as possible. Moreover, cavalery is useless in sieges if you want to attack the walls. They do not get involved.

This goes for DW 5.0 btw, I do not know (I must confess) if chronicles includes this.

Haven't played EU3 in AAGES (lost savegame due to computer problems etc). Getting Chronicles to replace my Complete in a few days. A few quick things:

1. Austria and possibly Bohemia are in the highest tech level. Hungary is in the second highest.
2. Moar artillery=faster siege. Moar defensiveness=faster siege.
3. The best troop types for assaults are Archer Fish infantry, which can lay waste to whole garrisons with their spit. If these are not available to you, go for larger numbers of cannons and larger numbers of infantry. Generally, a 10:1 advantage is good enough to take a fort in a single assault.

Chronicles includes all EU3 expansions up to and including DW. So, Base+NA+IN+HttT+DW.