• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
two quick questions about buildings.

1. Is it worth building workshops in every province as early as possible, or should I just build them in my mainland high tax provinces?

2. What exactly is trade income in a province? I built a marketplace in one of my provinces that has a CoT but that didn't seem to do anything to my income from the province.

1. Is it worth building workshops in every province as early as possible, or should I just build them in my mainland high tax provinces?

2. What exactly is trade income in a province? I built a marketplace in one of my provinces that has a CoT but that didn't seem to do anything to my income from the province.

1: Build. Them. Everywhere.

Start with your higher tax provinces and work your way down, but build them everywhere eventually.

Trade income is the value the provinces adds to the CoT its in.

Which is the production income.

Last edited:

1) Workshops are about the best improvement you can build as far as economics are concerned. The base tax of your province is of absolutely no influence wahtsoever. Having a core, your culture and (state)religion do matter (I think in that order). Being an overseas province also matters a bit.

2)marketplaces are a bit complicated, but building one in your CoT or elsewhere doesn't really matter, all other things the same.

I don't see what he has to gain by building a marketplace on a Gold province. Even a grain one probably won't pay the market back.

I don't see what he has to gain by building a marketplace on a Gold province. Even a grain one probably won't pay the market back.

A marketplace on a province with a production value of 5.00 pays itself off in 10 years. Even a production value of as little as 1.00 will pay itself off and start making continual profit after 50 years. A marketplace is and always has been one of the best buildings in the game.

1) Workshops are about the best improvement you can build as far as economics are concerned. The base tax of your province is of absolutely no influence wahtsoever. Having a core, your culture and (state)religion do matter (I think in that order). Being an overseas province also matters a bit.

Adding +1 tax income to an already rich province gives more effect than adding +1 tax income to a poor province. I believe that is because the workshop is put in before the tax modifiers, thus the +1 actually gives more than 1 in the richer provinces.

In EU3 complete I noticed that if I get called in by an Ally to a war against someone I have a Truce with that I get the -5 Stab hit if I accept - but I don't see the AI playing by the same rules - they don't get the Stab hit. Has this issue been fixed in more recent versions of the game?

In EU3 complete I noticed that if I get called in by an Ally to a war against someone I have a Truce with that I get the -5 Stab hit if I accept - but I don't see the AI playing by the same rules - they don't get the Stab hit. Has this issue been fixed in more recent versions of the game?

You don't get the stab hit for defensive alliances.

A marketplace on a province with a production value of 5.00 pays itself off in 10 years. Even a production value of as little as 1.00 will pay itself off and start making continual profit after 50 years. A marketplace is and always has been one of the best buildings in the game.

10% of 5 = .5 With a base cost close to 50 it'll be rather a 100 years before it pays of.

I believe that is because the workshop is put in before the tax modifiers

Exactly. The bonus is on the added +1*modifiers.

thus the +1 actually gives more than 1 in the richer provinces.
No. Wheter or not you have a base 1 or a base 10 (each already getting their modified taxreturns) doesn't influence what the +1 brings in revenue.

before:
base 1*mod
base 10*mod

after:
(base 1 + worshop 1)*mod = 2*mod --> gained 1*mod
(base 10 +workshop 1)*mod = 11*mod --> gained 1*mod

A similar effect can be observed with the canals and roads, although having a Dock (and some other factors) influences this slightly. But on principle the value of the trade good is of no influence either, just as the base tax isn't with the workshop.

No. Wheter or not you have a base 1 or a base 10 (each already getting their modified taxreturns) doesn't influence what the +1 brings in revenue.

before:
base 1*mod
base 10*mod

after:
(base 1 + worshop 1)*mod = 2*mod --> gained 1*mod
(base 10 +workshop 1)*mod = 11*mod --> gained 1*mod

A similar effect can be observed with the canals and roads, although having a Dock (and some other factors) influences this slightly. But on principle the value of the trade good is of no influence either, just as the base tax isn't with the workshop.

If you have a bonus giving +10% to all provinces' tax income, you will get more by increasing an 8 base tax province to 9 than you will a 1 base tax province to 2.

Do achievements ever fail to fire? I'm playing the grand campaign and got over six monopolies and 2000 gold yet the achievements won't trigger. Naturally, I'm connected to PC and not using any mods or beta patches.

8.5*1.1 = 9.35

2.5*1.1 = 2.75

So yes, it is a larger increase in a richer province. The building bonus comes before the modifiers, not after. IIRC.

You're adding apples and oranges, Yoshi ;).
Indeed your total income from the high tax province will be more, but that was also the case without the workshop. For any province your workshop will give an added +1*modifiers.
Just try and see.

You're adding apples and oranges, Yoshi ;).
Indeed your total income from the high tax province will be more, but that was also the case without the workshop. For any province your workshop will give an added +1*modifiers.
Just try and see.

But the total income was all I was concerned with.

Looks like we're both right. ;)

Doesn't the market increase trade value?

Production value is sent to the CoT a province trades through, and how much that province gives to the CoT is measured in "Trade Value". For these purposes, Production value = Trade value.

But Gold provinces (do still exist right? My memory could be playing a trick on me) have no Trade Value. And grain ones have a pitiful value so a % increase will hardly be noteworthy.