• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing a colonizing game as england, which religion is best? Catholic, Protestant, or Reformed? Also, is it better to wait for the second 2 to spread naturally to you or should you convert right when the revolution starts and convert your provinces yourself?

Playing a colonizing game as england, which religion is best? Catholic, Protestant, or Reformed? Also, is it better to wait for the second 2 to spread naturally to you or should you convert right when the revolution starts and convert your provinces yourself?

It depends on your innovative slider. If you're narrowminded, switch right away. If you're innovative, I usually wait a couple years for several of the provinces to convert on their own before I make the official switch. It just makes it a little bit easier on the rebels and whatnot.

It really is as simple as the "screenshots" folder, assuming you didn't make the all to common mistake of installing anything into your program files folder if you have Vista or 7.

What to do: Just cut your entire game from the program files folder and paste it somewhere else. I have a C:\Users\Yoshi\Games folder I put all games into.

Now your problem is solved and all future maps and screenies will be placed into the "screenshots" folder.

However, you have to go somewhere else to find the ones you already took. C:\Users\Appdata\local\ should be the folder your EU3 saves and screenies will be in. It may be "roaming", but I think it is "local". Now in there, it should also just be in a EU3\screenshots\ folder.

I guess that doesn't bode well for me. So what is the full path to the screenshots if I had vista and upgraded to Windows 7?

Where can I find my screenshots/map pictures with DW?

I really hope it isn't as simple as a 'screenshots' folder as I don't seem to have one per a Windows search.

Check the tech support "DW tech support" sticky. Your question is answered there! :)

Is there a limit to how high your warscore can get WITHOUT occupying the enemies provs? Is it 36% by anychance?

Don't think there is a limit. You can blockade enemy provinces and get a high war score without occupying a single province, for instance. WS from battles might be limited, but I'm not certain now. It's limited to 25% in V2.

I have EU3 complete bought through steam. If I buy HTTT and DW through gamersgate, will I have any problems running them?

Or buy HTTT through Steam and DW through gamersgate...?

I have EU3 complete bought through steam. If I buy HTTT and DW through gamersgate, will I have any problems running them?

Or buy HTTT through Steam and DW through gamersgate...?

Mixing Steam and non-Steam versions is not supported, see the Steam sticky in this thread.

I have one problem, why can't my HRE reforms pass? I click in them, the benefits message appear but nothing, it does not advance (I think it's the first one, Calls for Reichreform). Do they have to be voted by all the members? Even in that case, I think more than a half of the HRE is my vassal, and in the electors only Bohemia is not a vassal and vote for himself.

I'm using the March 4th beta.

I have one problem, why can't my HRE reforms pass? I click in them, the benefits message appear but nothing, it does not advance (I think it's the first one, Calls for Reichreform). Do they have to be voted by all the members? Even in that case, I think more than a half of the HRE is my vassal, and in the electors only Bohemia is not a vassal and vote for himself.

I'm using the March 4th beta.

Every member in the HRE votes. Do you have high infamy, low prestige, low legitimacy, or a bad diplomacy rated ruler?

Can I upgrade my Carracks to Caravels??

You can't upgrade any ships. You have to build an entirely new fleet.

Every member in the HRE votes. Do you have high infamy, low prestige, low legitimacy, or a bad diplomacy rated ruler?

Everything good, but actualy after looking there were lots of heretic italian members including Ragusa and Croatia that probably make my vassals outnumbered. I guess I have to make a trip to south and teach them why my NI is called Unam Sanctam.

I personally think Protestant is the best religion in the game. I actually get excited when the religion reformation event thing pops up in europe so I can make the official switch.

The downside though is I think it has the highest towards stability cost of the religions, +30% I think?

Ah, yes. Heretics aren't ever going to vote for anything you propose.

That's not strictly true, they will never vote for you to be emperor, but the modifier on your proposals is only 3. That is quite small. Especially when compared to being 6 provinces or bigger, 10, or at war, 100.

In other words heretics can support your proposals for reform, if you are friendly with them, have low BB etc. Cet. pab. they are three times more pliable than big same religion countries.

Have a look at EU3/events/holyromanempire file to see all the effects on a vote. Generally the higher the reform the harder it is to pass. And you want to have low bb (less than 20% of its max, so under 5 points or so) and good relations (over 100). If you manage this the reform should pass. Early on it is very easy to have 200 relations with all states if you win a couple of defensive wars. If you team this up with having very low BB you are virtually guaranteed to get the reform through.

If you want to unite the HRE it's imperative to get the crown as early as possible and then use defensive wars to get as many reforms as possible before the reformation rears its ugly head. It's possible to get the Pffenig reform through before things kick off. If you don't want to form the HRE you can leave things there quite happily, as the next reform is really bad. Otherwise just use Unam Sanctum to force convert everyone to your chosen religion and then pick up where you left off.

Last edited:
New to the game (have HTTT) in the midst of my first real playthrough. I am playing as the Hansa, it is 1433 and I just took much of what would be Greece from Venice via trade dispute CB to try and weaken them a bit (look at all that infamy). It is obviously very far away from my home base with no real linking provinces in between, with a high revolt risk and the Ottomans right next door. I was debating vassalizing or selling these provinces to extricate myself from these matters and this is where my question comes in.

Would it be better to recreate and vassalize a 4 province Byzantium or to forget that and sell Athens to the Ottomans who seem willing to pay in the neighborhood of 400 ducats for it? I assume the remaining provinces would be sold off cheap or vassalized for some small gains unless someone stands up and shouts that is a terrible idea.

New to the game (have HTTT) in the midst of my first real playthrough. I am playing as the Hansa, it is 1433 and I just took much of what would be Greece from Venice via trade dispute CB to try and weaken them a bit (look at all that infamy). It is obviously very far away from my home base with no real linking provinces in between, with a high revolt risk and the Ottomans right next door. I was debating vassalizing or selling these provinces to extricate myself from these matters and this is where my question comes in.

Would it be better to recreate and vassalize a 4 province Byzantium or to forget that and sell Athens to the Ottomans who seem willing to pay in the neighborhood of 400 ducats for it? I assume the remaining provinces would be sold off cheap or vassalized for some small gains unless someone stands up and shouts that is a terrible idea.

Personally, I'd sell Athens for profit then create Byz out of the rest of them. You get a little vassal in the area, half their tax income, and who knows, they might actually help you in some future war that's close by.

Personally, I'd sell the provinces. If you create a vassal, then it's going to be attacked by the Ottomans sooner or later, and you'll be dragged into a difficult war on the other side of Europe for provinces you don't really care that much about. (Of course, if your plans include conquering all of Europe, disregard that advice. :D)