• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, Austria is the second greatest empire member (after me).
So do I need more authorithy the bigger the target?

It only costs one point to do no matter how big they are. If they are bigger however they are less likely to accept. You do then get the CB so you can convert them through war.

You had to form Persia, right? You get certain cores when you form nations on lands you may or may not own.

No, that's not it. I started as Persia in 1501. I got lots of cores at the start and I've conquered all of those - these two I mentioned aren't one of those. One is my culture - it's like when I reached a certain tech or year these cores were just given to me without asking me. If there had been a Patriot revolt in the province - could that have given me a core?

I'm playing the Byzantines in the late 1480's and the bloody Palaiologos family keeps generating 3/3/5 leaders. How can I inject some higher quality genes into this disaster of a dynasty?

Also, same game, my long-term ally Wallachia (who have built a perfect modern Romania on their own) keep showing "impossible" vassalisation chance. They don't feel threatened by me and I have a few good SoIed nations to boost my dimwited leader's diplo stats. What else can I do?

Finally, Trebizond (actualy in Crimea), Georgia and Molvadia live in perpetual occupation by the Golden Shower Horde. They won't make peace for some reason - nor will they ally with me so I can help. Short of installing the latest beta patch and let the idiots be conquered, what can I do?

I'm playing the Byzantines in the late 1480's and the bloody Palaiologos family keeps generating 3/3/5 leaders. How can I inject some higher quality genes into this disaster of a dynasty?

Change to republic, or pray ;)

Army/Navy tradition... in fact even prestige I think...

How do they work? The decay is measured in % and some bonuses give you +1 etc. These then get listed as +1% when you hover the mouse over the percentage. However the value still goes up, despite reading as +1% and -5% so I assume some of the bonuses are listed as percentage when they are actually a figure, so Army tradition goes up +1 a year (with the right NI) and decreases by 5% a year.. meaning it should stabalise at only 20% in total. Is this true? I desperately need a good supply of generals, I keep having to elect military leaders to my noble republic to do so as army trad decays so fast! ?? Not sure I want to devote an NI to just 20%?

Also, same game, my long-term ally Wallachia (who have built a perfect modern Romania on their own) keep showing "impossible" vassalisation chance. They don't feel threatened by me and I have a few good SoIed nations to boost my dimwited leader's diplo stats. What else can I do?

Finally, Trebizond (actualy in Crimea), Georgia and Molvadia live in perpetual occupation by the Golden Shower Horde. They won't make peace for some reason - nor will they ally with me so I can help. Short of installing the latest beta patch and let the idiots be conquered, what can I do?

Wallachia probably have a good DIP ruler and by the sounds of things yours are pretty bad. Get a DIP advisor and get a better king. :D

No, that's not it. I started as Persia in 1501. I got lots of cores at the start and I've conquered all of those - these two I mentioned aren't one of those. One is my culture - it's like when I reached a certain tech or year these cores were just given to me without asking me. If there had been a Patriot revolt in the province - could that have given me a core?

A patriot revolt would certainly give you a core there without telling you.

This isn't CK. You have no control over these things.

This is supposed to happen. AI won't peace out for tribute, which is the only thing they can get, since the WS is so high, so they'll sit there with the GH occupied until they slowly colonize all of it. And besides, you couldn't go help them in the war anyway unless you border the GH.

Just don't worry about it. They'll slowly eat the entire GH.

Army/Navy tradition... in fact even prestige I think...

How do they work? The decay is measured in % and some bonuses give you +1 etc. These then get listed as +1% when you hover the mouse over the percentage. However the value still goes up, despite reading as +1% and -5% so I assume some of the bonuses are listed as percentage when they are actually a figure, so Army tradition goes up +1 a year (with the right NI) and decreases by 5% a year.. meaning it should stabalise at only 20% in total. Is this true? I desperately need a good supply of generals, I keep having to elect military leaders to my noble republic to do so as army trad decays so fast! ?? Not sure I want to devote an NI to just 20%?

Positive modifiers are in absolutes and negative modifiers are in percentages. This means that if you take battlefield commission, you'll settle out at 33% army tradition instead of 0%. Take another +1 army tradition decision, and you'll settle out at 66%.

This isn't CK. You have no control over these things.
You don't have control over it in CK as it should be played either. (DV :p )

I was hoping for more imaginative replies though. Invite a handsome Turk to the Empress' bed for exemple.

This is supposed to happen. AI won't peace out for tribute, which is the only thing they can get, since the WS is so high, so they'll sit there with the GH occupied until they slowly colonize all of it. And besides, you couldn't go help them in the war anyway unless you border the GH.

Just don't worry about it. They'll slowly eat the entire GH.
Other way around mate. The Golden Horde is controls the other guy's lands. This also goes for Muscow, Tver, and all the tiny Russians.

Other way around mate. The Golden Horde is controls the other guy's lands. This also goes for Muscow, Tver, and all the tiny Russians.

Uh-huh...

Well it may just be a matter of time before they accept vassalization, or until their last army is destroyed or something. I actually haven't seen a non-horde nation not peace out when fully occupied by the GH. Of course I've updated to the latest beta patch, but still...

Anywho, there is no way you can help them. Sad but true.

Uh-huh...

Well it may just be a matter of time before they accept vassalization, or until their last army is destroyed or something. I actually haven't seen a non-horde nation not peace out when fully occupied by the GH. Of course I've updated to the latest beta patch, but still...

Been like that for several decades. In fact, Moldavia has been like that for a good 60 years.

I guess I'll just upgrade the patch and let them be anexed.

How to get rid of excommunication

I got excommunicated but I read somewhere that you get rid of it when your leader dies. However when my leader died and his heir took over I still got the excommunication. How do I get rid of it?

This is DW 5.0

What is trade income and when is it worth sending merchants to a CoT? I'm playing as Scotland in Divine Wind and it seems that every time one of my merchants goes to either Lubeck or Antwerpen he always fails and it seems like it's just wasting gold for me. Also I noticed some buildings offer trade income boosts, what exactly is trade income in a provence? All I see are Tax, Tarrif, and Production (I know what all those are)

I got excommunicated but I read somewhere that you get rid of it when your leader dies. However when my leader died and his heir took over I still got the excommunication. How do I get rid of it?

This is DW 5.0

That is most odd - Are you positive you didn't just get excumminicated again?

This is DW 5.0

The modifier should disappear at the end of the month your new ruler ascended the throne. If it doesn't maybe you got excommunicated again? If niether of these is the case I suggest posting a bug report (register your game in order to see the forum).

What is trade income and when is it worth sending merchants to a CoT? I'm playing as Scotland in Divine Wind and it seems that every time one of my merchants goes to either Lubeck or Antwerpen he always fails and it seems like it's just wasting gold for me. Also I noticed some buildings offer trade income boosts, what exactly is trade income in a provence? All I see are Tax, Tarrif, and Production (I know what all those are)

A province's trade income a) determines the base production income and b) adds to the value of the CoT it is attatched to.

In regards to trading: go to a CoT and when you mouse over the little shields of all the nations who have merchants there you will get a tool tip telling you what your compete chance with that nation is. 50% is an even chance of competing away their merchant. The tool tip will also tell you what is affecting your compete chance - so you can see what you need to do to rectify the situation. The biggest step you could take is joining a trade league.