• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just got DW after many many hours of HTTT. Are there any "must change" settings for balance/gameplay, like with HTTT I would always change the threshold to split from a COT to 800 to avoid dozens springing up in Europe etc.

It seems to turn red when you are directly on the ratio sometimes. Personally I always try and stay a bit below the ratio for that reason, and more importantly because of losses. Your cav takes slightly disproportionate losses sometimes, especially if you are outnumbered. As a result I roll with 4/6 armies as latin tech. You would want the same as chinese.

That's because you need more Inf than Cav. Exactly equal parts Inf and Cav does not get you the bonus.

Just got DW after many many hours of HTTT. Are there any "must change" settings for balance/gameplay, like with HTTT I would always change the threshold to split from a COT to 800 to avoid dozens springing up in Europe etc.

Not really. I like to increase the CoT threshold as well, but it's no longer as bad as in HttT. I also reduce the terrain impact a bit as well. But nothing "must-have", just personal preference.

That's because you need more Inf than Cav. Exactly equal parts Inf and Cav does not get you the bonus.

forgive me for thinking that a 0.5 ratio meant equal parts rather than 0.49 -0.51 :)

Does that mean a steppe nomad army that is entirely cavalry wont get the bonus as it needs to be 0.99 - 0.01 really?

forgive me for thinking that a 0.5 ratio meant equal parts rather than 0.49 -0.51 :)

Does that mean a steppe nomad army that is entirely cavalry wont get the bonus as it needs to be 0.99 - 0.01 really?

Steppe get the bonus for any ratio of Cav (as long as there is at least 1 Inf in the army), as it's <X, not <=X, and steppe get X=1.

Steppe get the bonus for any ratio of Cav (as long as there is at least 1 Inf in the army), as it's <X, not <=X, and steppe get X=1.

so the answer is yes. They do need 1 inf in the army. Fair enough.

so the answer is yes. They do need 1 inf in the army. Fair enough.

Well, it's a combined arms bonus, so you need... combined arms, I guess :p Not 100% sure about the Steppe, though, they might get the bonus at 100% Cav. But that's easy to try out.

Well, it's a combined arms bonus, so you need... combined arms, I guess :p Not 100% sure about the Steppe, though, they might get the bonus at 100% Cav. But that's easy to try out.

Your right easy to test, it is a combined arms bonus. Need 1 unit in the stack.

I got a few questions , but i will post them there , as no one answered last time I opened a topic in modding section ^^

1- there is a tech_difference trigger , but does them exist in every field of technology? like being 5 techs late military or in government ...)
2- is there an easy way to prevent tooearly colonization of Africa , and todissuade colonizers to get there? (if I make a huge penalty they never succeed , but they sink a load of gold and colonists ...) and to keep african nations longer , without giving them a too good technology?

I got a few questions , but i will post them there , as no one answered last time I opened a topic in modding section ^^

1- there is a tech_difference trigger , but does them exist in every field of technology? like being 5 techs late military or in government ...)
2- is there an easy way to prevent tooearly colonization of Africa , and todissuade colonizers to get there? (if I make a huge penalty they never succeed , but they sink a load of gold and colonists ...) and to keep african nations longer , without giving them a too good technology?

1. I haven't been able to find one or seen it mentioned.
2. Postpone the date at which QftNW can be taken and reduce the number of colonists. Nations should then focus on the Americas.
With African nations you could try removing the primitives CB - the AI seems to be preprogrammed to declare war if they have that CB.

Hi,

Trying to trade -

1. Is there any difference between merchant chance and compete chance?
(Guessing no)

2. For mercantile v free trade, when it say's "chance per owned province", does more provinces help or hurt?

Thanks

Question about the Japanese unification process, as the Shogun, do i have to get rid of two of the other nations (anex) inorder to unify Japan or is there a peacefull way to do it?

(Guessing no)

2. For mercantile v free trade, when it say's "chance per owned province", does more provinces help or hurt?

1. There's a compete chance that determines the chance to compete against another merchant in the CoT. If succesful (or if there are free slots) then there is the placement chance that determines if you will actually get a seat in the CoT. So there's definitely two different 'chances'

2. Don't know.

Hi,

Trying to trade -

(Guessing no)

Thanks

1) already explained, compete chance is against other merchants, placement chance is for a free slot.

2) More helps. The more provinces that trade through the CoT you own, the higher your compete chances are with Mercantilism. For a Trade League Leader, all provinces of your trade league count towards this.