• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regular compete chance is for every CoT.
The modified province owner chance is a bonus you get in a CoT, depending on how many of the provinces trading in the CoT belong to you, so it's basically a lot more gradual than the old "your CoTs <-> foreign CoTs" division.
AFAIK no one knows the precise formula for how much bonus you get for how big a fraction of your own provinces, which makes it impossible to exactly calculate if you get more or less compete chance in a specific CoT after a slider change.

Did they change the way the dominant culture is calculated? It used to be number of provinces. Seems different now. Anyone know?

That is not Number of Provinces, but population census. If you have two 1000 population provinces and one 10000, with other cultures the dominant will be the 10000 thousands province.

EDIT: so the dominant is always the one that have more men in provinces with those cultures, it is simple...

Where can I find what cultures my nation is accepting, and is there any way to increase the odds of a culture becoming accepted?

In the screen with your nations vassals, relations, monarch, prestige etc, theres a bit saying which culture you are, if you hover over it it will say what cultures are also accepted.

To get a culture accepted, it has to provide 12% (Thanks to StephenT for the clarification) of your tax from cored provinces with that culture. So either improving provinces with that culture, conquering provinces with that culture, or even releasing/selling provinces that aren't of that culture will all help.

Last edited:
I second this. One thing to check: now you have land 5, did you switch your army type to the next better unit, Men at Arms? I forget to do this sometimes but it can help a bit.

Yes, but in the end I didn't need to fight their army as they got embroiled in a war with France, Castille and Aragon, and I sneaked in while they were busy with that. Took Tangiers and Ceuta, they were happy to cede Tangiers. Now I can build troops there I can see how inferior my Latin Infantry were, no wonder I was getting flattened.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really enjoying how this game forces you to think; the problem with my first two attempts on this was that I didn't plan them out properly.

To get a culture accepted, it has to provide 5% of your tax (Not exactly sure on the %) from cored provinces with that culture.
The threshold to accept a culture is 12% of your total tax revenue. Once you've accepted a culture, if it ever falls below 5% of your tax income it stops being accepted. (This usually happens if you colonise a lot, or conquer pagans and convert them, thus spreading your national culture to more provinces.)

Note that the test is provinces with your core on, regardless of whether or not you own them...

The threshold to accept a culture is 12% of your total tax revenue. Once you've accepted a culture, if it ever falls below 5% of your tax income it stops being accepted.

Ah great thanks, I thought there was something not quite right!

Note that the test is provinces with your core on, regardless of whether or not you own them...
I dont understans this bit? Do you mean the tax % value is added from provinces of that culture that you have cores on even if you dont own them?

Two more questions I hope someone can answer:-

1. I can see where scorching the earth could be a useful tactic, e.g. when being chased by massively superior forces, but the option is always greyed out. Are there preconditions that have to be met before this can be done e.g. land tech level?

2. I'm the senior partner in a PU with England. My (Portugal's) strategy now is to get relations as high as possible to increase my chance of inheriting the English throne on the death of my monarch, right?

Is the non-core CoT penalty gone?

Don't think so. Remember it only shows up in foreign COTs.

The HRE, what's the overall gist of this thing? I don't get it. I've read the wiki - don't see how you go about getting power and using it.

Is there an article somewhere about recommended army composition (i.e. cavalry vs infantry vs artillery)?

You have to be voted in as Emperor. Hover over the electors in the HRE screen to see who they vote and why. Once you are emperor, you need to accumulate Imperial influence through doing things like getting people to release HRE members and keeping outsiders from taking things from the HRE. You then use the influence to pass reform decisions, with the very last one being unifying the entire HRE into a single nation under your rule.

As for armies, I use 4/4/2 in the early game and 6/6/4 in the late game.

I think Delhi...

Last edited:
Two more questions I hope someone can answer:-

1. I can see where scorching the earth could be a useful tactic, e.g. when being chased by massively superior forces, but the option is always greyed out. Are there preconditions that have to be met before this can be done e.g. land tech level?

Don't think so. It does have to be a province you own, though.

2. I'm the senior partner in a PU with England. My (Portugal's) strategy now is to get relations as high as possible to increase my chance of inheriting the English throne on the death of my monarch, right?

Lower infamy, raise relations, raise prestige, raise legitimacy.

I dont understans this bit? Do you mean the tax % value is added from provinces of that culture that you have cores on even if you dont own them?

Yes. And any provinces you don't have cores on, even if you do own them, aren't counted towards getting or losing accepted cultures.

Hey guys ive got 2 questions if you could please help me out i would appreciate it.

1. ive got a mission to subjugate Novgorod but no casus belli. I really need that casus belli to form russia in a timely manner. I tried reloading the game but it doesnt help. Is there anything i could do to fix the problem? I have the steam version of the game if that matters.

2. Are Orthodox nations no longer able to get the gilded iconography decision? I remember it being available to them in HTTT.

Theres probably a specific thread on this but I cant find one...

Whats the deciding factor when choosing to either vassalize or just annex? When Im on my own personal mission to conquer all of europe or something, without a thought I want to annex after every war. In that mind set, I dont see the point in vassalizing.

So ultimately Im asking is whats the point to ever vassalize? Cheaper infamy? The only thing I have read is that the cost of tech-ing is related to how many provinces you have. So if you annex like crazy, yet they are mainly poor provinces, you will actually be kind of screwing yourself in the end since the province isnt paying enough for it to be worth the extra cost tacked on to tech-ing. Is this pretty much the case? Or is there something more Im missing?

Last edited:
I believe that the Subjugate CBs are annoying. They have a timelimit, unlike conquest CBs, and they also can only be used once. So if you declare war with that CB but don't succeed in the mission then it vanishes.

Not sure about that decision, sorry.

I believe that the Subjugate CBs are annoying. They have a timelimit, unlike conquest CBs, and they also can only be used once. So if you declare war with that CB but don't succeed in the mission then it vanishes.

Not sure about that decision, sorry.

Ive never declared war on them. Did i lose the casus belli when Novgorod declared war on me? They declared war on me 2 or 3 times and joined in the dogpile with GH, Lithuania, Austria, Poland, Denmark against me more than once. Ive had 50 years of nonstop war and have just been waiting to consolidate my position/lose the WE (i had a string of really low admin kings) before doing the mission. Did i miss my chance?

Yes, that CB has a 5(?) year time limit. You must use it in that time or it runs out. It's very annoying.

The HRE, what's the overall gist of this thing? I don't get it. I've read the wiki - don't see how you go about getting power and using it.
If you are in the HRE, any time someone from outside the HRE attacks, the emperor is likely to join the war on your side. Sometimes this is no big deal and sometimes it is crushing. The emperor is also supposed to help you if someone inside the empire attacks you without a casus belli. Members of the empire get a small buff.

The emperor is chosen by electors. There are at most seven of them. When the current emperor dies, a new one is chosen. If you are a member of the empire, are a large nation, and don't go around attacking other HRE members for no reason, it's usually pretty hard to be chosen as emperor. Good relations with electors, marriages and alliances with them, etc. If you are a nation outside the HRE, you can be chosen as emperor, but it is harder and may involve vassalizing electors.

The emperor gets various buffs if various imperial reforms have been passed, including money, culture, prestige, magistrates, diplomats, all kinds of good stuff. It costs imperial authority to pass reforms. The emperor gets it by defending the empire, i.e. responding to defensive calls to arms, releasing nations that have been annexed, force-converting nations that have changed religion (there's also an option for the emperor to ask nicely without war), winning defensive wars. If the emperor gets enough authority he can vassalize all the other members, and even annex all of them at once and change country name to "holy roman empire".

The emperor also gets a huge increase in land force limit, he gets a lot of wars until he gets so big he scares everyone into permanent peace, he can take any HRE provinces owned by nations outside the HRE, and he gets an automatic core on those (via the "imperial ban" casus belli).

There is almost no down side to being emperor and a lot of up side.

Theres probably a specific thread on this but I cant find one...

Whats the deciding factor when choosing to either vassalize or just annex? When Im on my own personal mission to conquer all of europe or something, without a thought I want to annex after every war. In that mind set, I dont see the point in vassalizing.

So ultimately Im asking is whats the point to ever vassalize? Cheaper infamy? The only thing I have read is that the cost of tech-ing is related to how many provinces you have. So if you annex like crazy, yet they are mainly poor provinces, you will actually be kind of screwing yourself in the end since the province isnt paying enough for it to be worth the extra cost tacked on to tech-ing. Is this pretty much the case? Or is there something more Im missing?

There are lots of ways to play this game, and one of them is to just go gung ho and to hell with the consequences. The consequences are pretty bad though. Or you can exercise some self-control.

If you annex a four-province country you don't have cores on, you are taking 16 infamy. This will have numerous negative consequences. It's hard to burn off more than 0.8-1.5 reputation per year so you'll have those consequences for a while. You'll also have four provinces that are less productive than your cores, until they become cores, which takes 50 years.

It may be worth it to do this. An alternative is to vassalize the country for four infamy (zero with a subjugate CB, which comes via a mission). You can offer them an alliance and they'll help you to some small extent if you ask, either with their army or by providing some provinces for the enemy to siege rather than yours, and at very least they'll be a country that won't attack you. They'll give you money each year as well.

You can annex them 10 years later at the cost of (I believe) one infamy per province and one point of stability. You can annex one nation every ten years (you can't vassalize a whole bunch and annex them all at once). You won't get cores, but you won't get a ton of infamy either.

The subjugate missions that the game gives out like candy will make it very easy to form a huge vassal cloud (a subjugate mission is a free vassal and rewards -2 infamy on completion, so you can vassalize the target nation's ally, then vassalize the target nation, and end up paying 2 infamy total for both).

If you get a big enough vassal cloud they are ridiculously over powered. In my current game I have 40 of them, mostly by just doing missions, or by vassalizing a random nation when at war and at zero infamy, and they are giving me over 500 ducats per year, and if someone is fool enough to attack me they'll end up getting besieged by dozens of little army stacks without me having to do anything.

Every once in a while I get a mission to annex one of these guys, that gives a free core, so if it's a small nation this is a good way to expand, with very little down side.

I didn't even mention holy roman empire stuff, where it's almost prohibitive to annex nations without having cores first. It would be insane, for example, for Austria to annex Aquileia, which would result in 16 infamy up front, and another one per year for fifty years, for a total of 66 infamy for 4 provinces.

So:

I would annex a nation in war time without even thinking about it if I had cores on it and the war also gave me zero or very little infamy.

As a European nation, I would probably annex a nation in India if I had the holy war casus belli (sharply reduced infamy costs). One infamy per province is not a bad deal if you've decided you want those provinces.

I might vassalize a nation outside Europe if I had zero infamy, or some kind of reduced infamy CB, and the nation was pretty big but had low-income provinces. I am not someone who goes out and annexes Swahili. I might not waste 4 infamy by vassalizing a little one with bad provinces, in that case I'd just take money and forget about it. If Portugal wants to gimp itself by annexing all of the little animist minors, be my guest.

The game will give me missions to vassalize small nations adjacent to me in Europe, so normally I will do this. I would almost never pay 8 infamy to annex a one province minor in Europe.

In particular, I would never annex an HRE nation unless I had a core or was going to get one immediately as consequence of a mission, unless it was one province and I thought it was incredibly strategic to do it.

Would you guys recommend taking advancement of religious acts (+1RR +4% missionary chance -4% missionary cost) when playing as Portugal? If all goes well i hope to take the entire Mediterranean so i would be converting a lot of provinces. I usually ignore decisions that increase RR (except church tax) but i figure faster conversion = money saved/earned and I always have trouble making money as Portugal early in the game. What do you guys think?

Would you guys recommend taking advancement of religious acts (+1RR +4% missionary chance -4% missionary cost) when playing as Portugal? If all goes well i hope to take the entire Mediterranean so i would be converting a lot of provinces. I usually ignore decisions that increase RR (except church tax) but i figure faster conversion = money saved/earned and I always have trouble making money as Portugal early in the game. What do you guys think?

I used to avoid any decision involving RR increase, but sometimes it's worth it. Usually, you get revolts in a province when nationalism (when you grab a province which is yet not cored) is high or when your war exhaustion reaches unacceptable levels. And in these cases, you often end up having 15% and more of revolt risk in a province. So now, I honestly don't care if it's 14, 15 or 16.

Decisions increasing RR can seem to be a real bummer, but you have lots of ways to decrease it later (Bill of Rights NI, Courthouse makes it -4, etc.). All in all :
- when you're at peace, it does not matter much if your (usually negative) revolt risk is -7 or -6 in cored provinces.
- when you're at war or when you have uncored provinces, you will have to do some rebel whacking. One RR point more will do no harm.

And +4% missionary cost is really nice. Conversion helps you get the "tolerance" bonus for RR (often -3 to -4), so even with the +1RR, the advantage is yours.

Now I do have a question myself :

How War Capacity is calculated ? Can I evaluate my War Capacity before going to war ?