• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, I have a few questions. I have over 300 hours invested into In Nomine thus far, and have solid 1600 empires as Japan, Great Britain and France. Tried a game with Ming but didn't really enjoy playing them. The first time I did France I simply used war to take over countries. Its currently the late 1550's, Im the HR Emperor and Papal Controller, have like 15 vassals and own all of England/Ireland, Scotland, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Brittany, Burgundy, Aragon, Papal State, eastern North America, Central America, the majority of non-Mamluk Africa, reduced Castille to a little 4 province area, inherited Brandenburg, and most recently eviscerated the Ottomans to drive them out of Europe and wedge in between their Golden Horde alliance, although it took all my war exhaustion to fully beat Ottoman into ceding a significant amount of territory. Also up until the Ottoman part, I never modified the game files. Now I only have modified my BB limit, and raised my colonization speed, since on this file i'm pretty much the only country who can colonize at the moment.

I decided to do a second France file, this time with no Lucky Nations, the objective of annexing France's vassals, and focusing on diplomacy and defensive wars instead of forcibly taking over all the major European countries. So here's a few questions.

- Ive read that there's a "disputed succession herald" at the top of the screen, but I am unable to find it. Is it not in In Nomine, or am I just overlooking it?

- If I get a Claim Throne CB, is the only way to use it to declare war? Or can I use Fund Patriots/Pretender/Rebels to depose that country's current ruler instead? Also, what if I do Claim Throne or Fabricate on a country who currently has a Regency Council? I'm trying to avoid declaring war right now, since I have Denmark, Castille, and Scotland as allies, and ill be back at "honorable reputation" after another year or so.

- I can use spies on my own vassals, but would doing so allow me to claim them or get their province to defect? Without taking the 10-20 years of good relation to diplo-annex them.

- I pretty much broke England already in recovering my coastline from them in a defensive war, enough for even Scotland to gain Anglia and Wessex and Connacht to gain Meath in their own war, and for Wales to break free in a rebellion. But England's King survived all this. Right now, my spies have a 99% chance on England, but is it worth using spies on them, since England isn't a part of my culture group? Or would it be better to up my relation with England now and go for a RM.

- What is the best way to push my border east into the HRE states without aggression? Obviously, outright attacking one of them will tick them all off. Ive been giving warnings and ensuring independence to try and get a defensive war, but it seems like they aren't being aggressive now, likely because their afraid I will step in. I don't think I can get them to attack me directly via insults due to my size.

- One more, this one for my Japan file. This Japan file is the first game I started on EU3, before I knew what I was getting into or how slow the asian demographic levels its tech, lol. As Japan, early 1600s, I have pretty much colonized all of the northern part of Asia above Ming, and I have vassalized Korea and conquered Manchu, even so I've purposely kept my relations with Ming decent. Now Ming apparently sees me as a threat and wants to remove me from mainland Asia, and its difficult to take on all of Ming's military by myself, but I cant see how far away Timurid or Golden Horde is away from Ming in the west, and I'm not sure I could get an alliance with them to begin with. So what is the best way to counter Ming here?

Q1) Not in IN, but available in DW

2) In IN you get a CB of a given type but cannot choose, this option was added in later expansions

3) If wrong culture they may defect to you (unlikely since they're all small and French). If you get core then you can end vassalation and declare war using reconquest, assuming no other cb get in the way.

4) You won't get core on inherited provinces outside your culture so they're only worth keeping if you want to make sure they don't dow you

5) I'm rusty on the HRE rules in IN, however if you manage to join the HRE, you can inherit other nations in the HRE with core (this may be DW only). Other than that I recall that the HRE election balance wasn't as good in IN so they often have weak Emperors, I was forever seeing 12k stacks from the Palatanate (in DW you get 2 25k Bohemians)

6) Use Unam Sanctam and force religion to Shinto, should set them back a while as they convert/ fight rebels. Or go hunting for a Western nation and try to Westernise, though again I can only really help with newer nations. If you have naval control then blockade their coastline and drive up WE. If you have military access to a nation they don't then you can leave a stack there and let the AI pile their troops up near you to drive up their WE even further and possibly drain their manpower pool

3) If wrong culture they may defect to you (unlikely since they're all small and French). If you get core then you can end vassalation and declare war using reconquest, assuming no other cb get in the way.

4) You won't get core on inherited provinces outside your culture so they're only worth keeping if you want to make sure they don't dow you

5) I'm rusty on the HRE rules in IN, however if you manage to join the HRE, you can inherit other nations in the HRE with core (this may be DW only). Other than that I recall that the HRE election balance wasn't as good in IN so they often have weak Emperors, I was forever seeing 12k stacks from the Palatanate (in DW you get 2 25k Bohemians)
Not quite so for in Nomine.

Provence should be susceptible to rebels in their northern provinces, as they are of a different culture.

In IN all inheritances gives core, independent of cultures. In HTTT and later, the only provinces given cores are those with the same culture as you, except HRE countries gets cores on all inherited provinces within the HRE. It's almost always worthwhile.

In IN, the emperor gets called upon to defend HRE countries irrespective of circumstances - in HTTT/DW not when another HRE nation declares war with a valid cb. Always check if his interference is a threat to you, as mentioned weak emperors are quite likely. You could try to diplo-vassalize HRE minors too, whether or not you integrate them later on is up to you. Furthermore, a country who is currently fighting alongside you in a war cannot join against you in another. Allying countries and drawing them into some fake wars is an efficient way to keep them from interfering with your expansion.

6) Use Unam Sanctam and force religion to Shinto, should set them back a while as they convert/ fight rebels. Or go hunting for a Western nation and try to Westernise, though again I can only really help with newer nations. If you have naval control then blockade their coastline and drive up WE. If you have military access to a nation they don't then you can leave a stack there and let the AI pile their troops up near you to drive up their WE even further and possibly drain their manpower pool

5 - Yes that sounds about right. In my France 1 game, I was eventually elected the Emperor just by raising my relations with all the electoral countries to a high amount, even though I have a good amount of BB and have had several aggressive wars against catholics. Nice that in DW the Emperor is actually more of a challenge. Also yes, in IN the Emperor always is called to the defense of any HRE country, and declining seems to gives the same penalties as not honoring an alliance.

6 - Mmm, forcing Ming to become Shinto could work, but the issue is that Ming has too much manpower for me to get a decent warscore on with Japan, without risking defeat. All my army would have to be on the mainland to challenge them, which leaves the core of Japan open for attack. I could try stalling them and capping out their WE, since Ming usually has some already, and hope all they ask for is me to release Korea.

Thanks for replying ^^

Provence should be susceptible to rebels in their northern provinces, as they are of a different culture.

In IN all inheritances gives core, independent of cultures. In HTTT and later, the only provinces given cores are those with the same culture as you, except HRE countries gets cores on all inherited provinces within the HRE. It's almost always worthwhile.

In IN, the emperor gets called upon to defend HRE countries irrespective of circumstances - in HTTT/DW not when another HRE nation declares war with a valid cb. Always check if his interference is a threat to you, as mentioned weak emperors are quite likely. You could try to diplo-vassalize HRE minors too, whether or not you integrate them later on is up to you. Furthermore, a country who is currently fighting alongside you in a war cannot join against you in another. Allying countries and drawing them into some fake wars is an efficient way to keep them from interfering with your expansion.

- Provence only owns Anjou and Provence, which are separated by a good distance. The rest of France's vassals only own their capital. So I could in theory make Anjou revolt and cause it to defect, but not their capital? As Dauth said, I could wait for a core on one and formally annex it in a war, but I'm afraid releasing one from vassalization and going that route will cause them to get guarantees from other nations.

- As someone who has gotten Emperor before, I already expect the current one to interfere should I be aggressive. Most of the time this wouldn't be an issue, because unless the current Emperor is one of the members with several provinces like Bohemia, then the Emperor himself wouldn't have the manpower to pose a serious threat to France. My tech is usually able to keep up with most of the small countries, except for Mecklenburg. I don't really want to drive into the HRE by force, mainly because doing so would probably cause the other members to band together against me, that and they and all my allies are all Catholic. Ill look into using diplo-vassalize, that I haven't thought about checking. I'm not very fond of doing it that way though, or then I'll have too many vassals before I can get the chance to annex my original ones, which is what happened in my first France file. I don't mind having some vassals but 15-20 at a time is a bit much lol, considering the relationship penalty when you diplo-annex one.

- True, while an ally is in a war with you they cannot turn on you, but the issue is getting those allies into that war lol. Which for my current allies, Denmark, Scotland, and Castille, if I start an aggressive war chances are they will simply decline. I only allied with them, because they are the nations that could give me an issue at the present time, while Denmark has PU with Sweden and Norway, and Castille is on my lower border.

- Now that I know how France operates, having played as them for a while. I might try starting another England file in the future, and using Castille/Burgundy to penetrate into France early on before they accumulate their manpower and come at me.

No worries, also I do suggest upgrading to DW its a much better experience, though some people hate the 5.2 manpower changes which mean that you have to think about early wars.
I might try out DW, I've read mostly good responses from its players. But would upgrading it to DW cause me to lose my IN saves or no?

I was going to try out EU4, but I missed that sale where it was cheap for a day. :( Though I have read that a lot of people prefer EU3 actually, and having invested all this time into it myself, I'm not too keen about spending 50 on EU4 Complete right now, that and I need to get a good video card for this PC first, since I cant run full 3D games like Fallout or Skyrim at the moment.

You will lose your IN saves if you upgrade via steam since it will overwrite. I think you also need HTTT before getting DW, however I could be wrong, its best to check.

I have EU4 but haven't really got into it, I think I'm waiting for it to settle down with expansions etc, I don't really feel like learning the game 5 times. As for a PC upgrade if you want good graphics on the cheap (ie without upgrading PSU which is necessary for most pcworld/dell office pcs) then the GTX 750 is a good shout.

I might try out DW, I've read mostly good responses from its players. But would upgrading it to DW cause me to lose my IN saves or no?

I was going to try out EU4, but I missed that sale where it was cheap for a day. :( Though I have read that a lot of people prefer EU3 actually, and having invested all this time into it myself, I'm not too keen about spending 50 on EU4 Complete right now, that and I need to get a good video card for this PC first, since I cant run full 3D games like Fallout or Skyrim at the moment.

Well, as EU3 runs on its own without needing any complementary files from Steam, you could just copy the EU3 folder/files into another place on your harddrive. This would let you choose which version you play - I personally have IN, HTTT, DW and DW 5.2 installed like that. Obviously, this also preserves your save games while limiting them to the specific computer you copy it to.

When in combat, I sometimes see a little crown next to the dice. What does it mean? I suppose it has something to do with generals or maybe rulers who became general? What is it effect in the battle?

And what does the lightning bolt mean?

Last edited:
When in combat, I sometimes see a little crown next to the dice. What does it mean? I suppose it has something to do with generals or maybe rulers who became general? What is it effect in the battle?

And what does the lightning bolt mean?
The crown indicates that the battle is in the fire phase, the number below it is the difference in fire skill between the respective generals. The lightning bolt is the same, but for the shock phase. Every battle toggles between these two phases, whichever is more significant depends largely on unit types and tech levels. Early on, shock is practically the only one to count.

Hello! I'm thankful that I can be part of this forum.
I require your help, if it's possible:
I have EU3:Complete, playing with Hungary - not westernized yet.
My land technology is on level 10, while the other countries, like Austria, France, Milan or Lithuania have it on level 15. They still don't have cannons or siege weapons, but they manage to occupy my forts in under 5-10 days, with an army of 5000-10000. Not only my forts: I often see Lithuania occupying for example Austria's or Bohemia's forts in a few days as well. ( Bohemia is quite big in my game )

I have made a big army of 52000 ( thanks to my national ideas I have chosen ), but I still need 120-180 days to occupy a fort, if not more! Yes I have got generals too.

Any tips? :sad:
Thank you!

EDIT: All the nations ( in Europe ) have Level 1 forts.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm thankful that I can be part of this forum.
I require your help, if it's possible:
I have EU3:Complete, playing with Hungary - not westernized yet.
My land technology is on level 10, while the other countries, like Austria, France, Milan or Lithuania have it on level 15. They still don't have cannons or siege weapons, but they manage to occupy my forts in under 5-10 days, with an army of 5000-10000. Not only my forts: I often see Lithuania occupying for example Austria's or Bohemia's forts in a few days as well. ( Bohemia is quite big in my game )

I have made a big army of 52000 ( thanks to my national ideas I have chosen ), but I still need 120-180 days to occupy a fort, if not more! Yes I have got generals too.

Any tips? :sad:
Thank you!

EDIT: All the nations ( in Europe ) have Level 1 forts.

Hello, Voenskjall.

In EU3, a province can be occupied by two means, either as a result of a protracted siege during which the odds of capture increases over time, or as a result of the besieging army assaulting the fort directly, destroying the defending garrison. Most likely what you've been seeing is the latter.

If you send an army into a province and bring up the siege display by selecting the army, you should be able to see a button next to siege date, which you can click on to assault the fort. The garrison starts with 1000 men (fort level * 1000) and if an assault successfully brings this number down to 0, the province is instantly occupied. Note however that an assault depletes your attacking army's strength and morale, making it momentarily highly vulnerable to incoming attackers.

If the AI enters a province with a substantial number of soldiers -- for example 15 regiments -- and you do not have any troops in adjacent provinces, the AI is more or less hard-wired to assault the fort, as it can at least bring down some of the garrison. Since you described a situation in which the AI completed the siege within 10-15 days, I would consider it likely that this was due to such a trigger. The pop-up will still be the same as for a regular long-lasting siege, but the cause is obviously a bit different.

Some basic info and tips about assaulting, unrelated to your question:

1. Assaults are carried out exclusively by infantry. Cavalry and artillery will not part-take in an assault. As a result, a cavalry heavy army will do less damage to a garrisson, but on the other hand, their morale will not be depleted.

2.l If the wall of the fort has a breach, it means that an assault will be more effective.

3. When an assault begins, it will go on until your infantry's morale or numbers are depleted (usually morale goes first). To prevent a complete depletion of morale (or when you see that the assault will not be worth it), you can quickly order the army to move to another province, then cancel the order by clicking the current province. This will break the assault, but it will also reset the regular siege counter. Nonetheless, if you have a big army, it can be preferable to do this two or three times instead of waiting for a regular "100%" siege.

4. The AI's assault behavior is very predictable and thus very exploitable. As mentioned, the AI (if it has enough men) will assault if there are no enemy armies in adjacent provinces. Conversely, it will be much less likely to do this if another army (even a small one), is stationed in an adjacent province. Ergo, if you don't want the enemy to assault, keep an army close by.

Conversely, you can use these AI rules to your advantage, offensively. If you have an army of 15 k and they have an army of 15 k siegeing an adjacent province, move your army two provinces away from your opponent. When the AI doesn't see your army right next to it, it will behave as if it doesn't exist, assaulting the province. This depletes it's morale, making it fairly easy to march back and crush the depleted army, even when roughly the same size.

Last edited:
I play as Mamluks in DW.
1. How to deal with manpower? I can spend money to build some troops but it is hard for maintenance and reinforce. some big nations like France can have like more than 50k soldiers in the first 200 years. :eek:
2. Revolt. so many happened and it drains my economy and of course manpower.

any advice guys?