• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After briefly messing about on EU4 and V2 (picked up on the Steam sale), I've had a hankering to go back to one of my EU3 saves. Is that weird? Am I a Luddite?

Not unless you want to smash every computer able to run games with higher spec requirements than eu3. ; )

Nah, people are still playing eu3 multiplayer in the MP sub-section and personally I don't really find eu4 that fun to play, preferring eu3 or other "modern" games.

Not unless you want to smash every computer able to run games with higher spec requirements than eu3. ; )

Nah, people are still playing eu3 multiplayer in the MP sub-section and personally I don't really find eu4 that fun to play, preferring eu3 or other "modern" games.

Do the MP games tend to be in the evening (GMT / CET)?

I accidentaly turned off the popup notification for naval battles, any way to turn it back on? :)

go to "Message Settings" in the menu and look for it in the battle/warfare section - I can't load the game right now but it should be there somewhere.

EDIT: it is actually in the 'Combat' section. something like "when one of our fleet attacks / is being attacked by the enemy" IIRC.

Last edited:
We playing Europa universalis 3 complete edition(in nomine 3.2) in multiplayer. We started this time as asians and westernized to a full maximum.
Question: How to make Military modernization? No option such as westernize is shown and we just sit ther with western culture but with asian army. If it is a bug is there a way to fix or we must use cheats to modernize our military?

We playing Europa universalis 3 complete edition(in nomine 3.2) in multiplayer. We started this time as asians and westernized to a full maximum.
Question: How to make Military modernization? No option such as westernize is shown and we just sit ther with western culture but with asian army. If it is a bug is there a way to fix or we must use cheats to modernize our military?
After you've Westernized the economy and burned off all that instability, there should be another event or decision which allows you to modernize the military.

This possibility (feature) does not exist in In Nomine.

The military modernisation decisions were added with Heir to the Throne expansion.
(If I remember correctly, the westernisation events of the base game have also changed the unit type.)

This possibility (feature) does not exist in In Nomine.

The military modernisation decisions were added with Heir to the Throne expansion.
(If I remember correctly, the westernisation events of the base game have also changed the unit type.)
Well...
We looked in game files of in nomine and there is no military modernization options.
In wiki strategy guides for in nomine there is no military modernization for low tech countries.
In our game we use our early supremacy(naval and land 18-22 vs 21-22 in europe) to expand to america and take over european colonies.
There is a bug with map in nomine, it won't consider eastern border as the most closest to america and calculating to travel across all asia and europe to come to america.
No modernisation to our units as we westernize.
The Fleet is always same for all nations(maybe exept for tribals). Meaning major fleet and fully colonised america will overpower european nations in late 1700.
Wiki need an update for this I think, also thanks for your quick answers.

How does Unit morale really affect in a battle? I know that there is national morale, but units have their own morale value, so I wanted to know how does it apply in calculating the total morale in a battle.

Did it take you a while to understand EU3? Or did you 'get it' right away?

I bought the game more than a year ago, played with it briefly, and have not touched it since. Recently I began a grand campaign game as the Ming, and I hope I will stay with EU3 longer this time. It was the same for me with EU2. I owned EU2 for some time but could never figure out what to *do* or where to begin. Then, one rainy November evening, I sat down with it again and the game suddenly made sense. I had a number of very, very fun campaigns as various Central Asian countries.

I hope to have the same experience with EU3.

EU3_3_zps46670f61.png

What's this going to mean for Japan? I mean that 1 prov "Japan" represented them to the outside world, but that's Ming's now. It looks like I can interact with teh Daimyos like normal nations now... So the Shogunate and all that stuff is gone?

EU3_3_zps46670f61.png

What's this going to mean for Japan? I mean that 1 prov "Japan" represented them to the outside world, but that's Ming's now. It looks like I can interact with teh Daimyos like normal nations now... So the Shogunate and all that stuff is gone?
Maybe the same result as what happens when you're at war with Japan and its daimyos, and you occupy the shogun's capital:
shogunate.png

Yep, it totally disbanded the shogunate and made the daimyos into normal nations you could have diplomatic relations with.

Playing as Mutapa, Westernized to Muslim tech group and finally got a border with Ottoman Empire yet the decission to modernize to Oriental tech group doesn't get activated. Every paremeter has been met, and the only thing not green is "Neighbouring Country is Western/Oriental and 20+ tech advanced". Ottoman has 70 tech, I have 35. The only reasons I can think of why it's not activated is 1) both their province as well as mine is not cored 2) I was in a war when I gained the borderprovince and this war is still going on

Now, it mentions nowhere in the wiki or ingame that they should be cored and that I should be in peace. Can anyone help me?

50 years later, war has long since finished and both our provinces have cored yet still no option to Westernize. Fucking hell.
Let's see if I can edit the savegame to make me into Oriental techgroup because this is stupid.

Just looked at the code in game you need an Eastern (was Oirental but changed in DW) or Western (was Latin) neighbour to Westernise from Muslim into Eastern.

Special case for Ottoman tech group is that they Westernise to Western not Eastern. Ottomans are in their own tech group and are not Eastern.

Aha, alright, I did not know that. Damnit, spent 50 years enforcing my Turkish border for nothing.
So now it's just waiting until I get lucky with a European nation colonizing eastern Africa or conquering The Mamluks!

Cheers for the effort man :)

No worries, also you can be tech leader as a Muslim nation, I'm doing it now as Oman, however you're probably still at a troop disadvantage just on pips so be wary of big Europeans until you have a significant lead.