• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I get a monopoly?

It won;t let me send more than 5 merchant per CoT.

You need a trade tech of 15 before you can do that (In HTTT & DW)

I apologize if I ask too many stupid questions.

Do great men increase in level?

I try hiring some, but they always seem to be level 1

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who won't answer them.

Great men or advisors do not increase in level. The ones you're hiring are level 1 because your cultural tradition is low. It starts at either 0% or 20% depending on which nation you start out as.

It's a good idea to pause the game 1 year after you start. If you start in the grand campaign this is on the 14th October 1400. This is the date where all the advisors nations start with are released into the advisor market in your technology group, you might pick up some good ones there.

To increase your cultural tradition you should maintain peace and use some cultural decisions like Comission Painting, National Epic. Note that almost all of them cost magistrates. Getting the juicy 6 star advisors you generally need a cultural tradition over 90% I believe (can't remember the specific number), but there's still a chance it will only be a 5 star.

I apologize if I ask too many stupid questions.

Do great men increase in level?

I try hiring some, but they always seem to be level 1

I m not sure i understand, i see 2 ways to understand the question:

1.Q: either if great man you hire from CULTURE screen increase in levels?
A: then yes, their level depend on your culture tradition, highest level at 100% culture

2.Q: if great man gain levels based on active service , i.e. if 1star adviser can become 2stars or more by time
A: actually, i dont know, they did very long time ago probably in vanilla or NA if i remember correctly, but that happeneded to me for a long time, so i think since you have cultural tradition its not possible anymore, but thats just (un)educated guess :)

c'mon man, my English ain't THAT bad :D
so for you once again:
A) case is if you dont CARE about achievemnts, meaning, it doesnt ever concern you if you are online or offline paradox connect, capisto? :)

and you are NOT CORRECT on second count, my experience says otherwise:
there is a way to broke your achievemnets - just save game OFFLINE, then try to get achievemnets working again from that save, good luck :)

It's just that putting that solution under 'If you don't care about achievements' doesn't make any sense. If you don't care about achievements, there's a dozen different ways to fix things.

If you do care about achievements, the best way to avoid the massive slowdowns is to never save-resign-reload. If you want to reload a game, quit to desktop first. This will prevent the problem that causes the slowdowns in the first place.

The log in and out of Paradox Connect when required approach also works if you're trying to continue an already buggered game, but both methods will allow you to keep getting achievements. That's what I'm really trying to say.

A: actually, i dont know, they did very long time ago probably in vanilla or NA if i remember correctly, but that happeneded to me for a long time, so i think since you have cultural tradition its not possible anymore, but thats just (un)educated guess :)

Advisers never changed levels after they were hired. In fact, I'm pretty sure the code doesn't even support doing that. In mods the only way to trigger something like that would be to detect that you have a current i-star adviser, then kill him, and generate a new (i+1)-star adviser :p

The log in and out of Paradox Connect when required approach also works if you're trying to continue an already buggered game, but both methods will allow you to keep getting achievements. That's what I'm really trying to say.

not if u dont keep ONLINE status while saving game.. thats how it works with my DW 100% times :)
so labeling about not caring about ach. meant you dont need to ANYTHING else - like watching your online status, as i already tried to explain, i aimed for simplest solution possible (sadly editing .txt file is considered 'advanced stuff' nowadays..)
Really, try to log off ingame, save game, then restart game log in and relaod that save: you should get message achievemnt disabled, another users game or edited...
I always love to have things independently veryfied, thx :)

A: actually, i dont know, they did very long time ago probably in vanilla or NA if i remember correctly, but that happeneded to me for a long time, so i think since you have cultural tradition its not possible anymore, but thats just (un)educated guess
Advisers never changed levels after they were hired. In fact, I'm pretty sure the code doesn't even support doing that. In mods the only way to trigger something like that would be to detect that you have a current i-star adviser, then kill him, and generate a new (i+1)-star adviser :p

Obviously then, i DONT remember correctly :)
thx for correction.

not if u dont keep ONLINE status while saving game.. thats how it works with my DW 100% times :)
so labeling about not caring about ach. meant you dont need to ANYTHING else - like watching your online status, as i already tried to explain, i aimed for simplest solution possible (sadly editing .txt file is considered 'advanced stuff' nowadays..)
Really, try to log off ingame, save game, then restart game log in and relaod that save: you should get message achievemnt disabled, another users game or edited...
I always love to have things independently veryfied, thx :)

Oh, I'm sure that is the case, but maintaining a permanent connection to Paradox Connect requires no effort at all. You do know there's an auto-connect right? I set that up the first time I turned on the game, and I've never had to mess with it since. In the age of broadband internet, I'd say the simplest solution is the set-it-and-forget-it, rather than 'you have to do extra this every time you save the game'.

Anyway, I'd say it's pretty clear we're arguing over semantics (and I'm more than a little tired of poor spelling and grammar), so that's the last I'll have to say about that.

On the subject, How does one increase his chances of becoming an elector?
There's a maximum of 8 electors. If there exist 8, you have no chance. The less electors exist, the more chance you got.
To get elector you have to maintain good relations to the emperor.*

*if you are emperor yourself: No chance.

EDIT: It's event 1054, must be found somewhere under %/events/hre.txt or %/events/holyromanempire.txt
(Don't know exactly because no EU3 installed here)

As Spain I have become emperor of the HRE. How can I become a member? I already have provinces inside (northern Italy).

In HTTT you have to get youor capital to belong to the HRE so you would have to build a path of provinces to your capital that all belongs to the HRE, don't know if they changed it in DW. But in any case I would say it's a bad move. You get infamy for every province inside HRE that isn't your core if you are a member.

Inheritance cores same culture group provinces and HRE provinces as a member state

What about integrate junior partner of PU?
Q1: does it core?
Q2: does it give infamy?

I'm pretty sure a dev stated in one of the DD threads that integrate does not core provinces. Some people say it does.. :confused:

On the subject, How does one increase his chances of becoming an elector?

Code:
# Become an elector
country_event = {

id = 1054

trigger = {
		NOT = { num_of_electors = 7 }
		elector = no
		is_emperor = no
		NOT = { government = republic }
		capital_scope = { hre = yes }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = elector_offered }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = Erbkaisertum }
		AND = {
			religion_group = christian
			NOT = { religion = orthodox }
		}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {

months = 60

modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			num_of_electors = 6
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 7 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.1
			num_of_electors = 4
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 5 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.25
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 5 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.2
			NOT = { num_of_electors = 2 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 50 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 100 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			emperor = { relation = { who = THIS value = 150 } }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			any_neighbor_country = {
				is_emperor = yes
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			religion = catholic
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			NOT = { religion = catholic }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.9
			stability = 1
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 1.1
			NOT = { stability = 0 }
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.8
			OR = {
				tag = KOL
				tag = MAI
				tag = TRI
				tag = PAL
				tag = SAX
				tag = BRA
				tag = BOH
			}
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.95
			tag = BAV
		}
	}

So if I read this right, to maximise your chances, you need
  • 150+ relations with the emperor
  • Border the emperor
  • Be catholic
  • Stability 1+
and something about the original electors, not sure what that is :p

There are 8 electors in my game. So I have no chance until a faction stops bein g an elector.

How does a faction become unelectorated?

It needs to be annexed. I'm almost certain that's the only way.

Inheritance cores same culture group provinces and HRE provinces as a member state

I'm pretty sure a dev stated in one of the DD threads that integrate does not core provinces. Some people say it does.. :confused:

No cores for integration, only inheritance. I tested this with Castille -> Aragon.
You do get infamy for integration.

Who occupies an enemy province when an ally in a personal union is the siege commander? In a game with Castille, having Aragon as my allied PU, I've seen their sieges versus Algier end in either mine or their own control, seemingly at random. None of us have cores on any of their provinces. This is for DW.

There are 8 electors in my game. So I have no chance until a faction stops being an elector.

How does a faction become unelectorated?
It needs to be annexed. I'm almost certain that's the only way.

There is also an event to remove Elector status from you if you and the Emperor are on really bad terms. Happens to me pretty often when I'm playing Brandenburg :p

Q1: No, no cores for integration.
Q2: Yes, it does give infamy.

I can build first embassy in Divine Wind without trouble. Then once I get a core and it is destroyed, I cannot build another anywhere, even though the tooltip states that I ought to be able to. Why?

I can build first embassy in Divine Wind without trouble. Then once I get a core and it is destroyed, I cannot build another anywhere, even though the tooltip states that I ought to be able to. Why?

It's a known bug and will be fixed in the next patch.

A temporary workaround is to save your game and load it again.

I'm playing France in DW, and have been able to diploannex nearly all of my former vassals, without any trouble at all, no 2nd tries. So my question is simply, did DW increase the chances of a successful diploannex?

Or is it just pure luck?

I'm playing France in DW, and have been able to diploannex nearly all of my former vassals, without any trouble at all, no 2nd tries. So my question is simply, did DW increase the chances of a successful diploannex?

Or is it just pure luck?

This is a known area of concern related to the addition of a Dip rating bonus for having additional nations in your sphere of influence. I don't recall seeing it called a bug but I haven't been frequenting the bug forum either.