• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In HttT, I know that ships in dock still "patrol" the water province they're docked in. Also, supposedly more ships in dock will "patrol" larger areas of water provinces. Does anyone know how "# of ships" maps to "# of patrolled provinces?" Also, is the number of provinces a total or a radius (i.e. if docked ships patrol three water provinces, is that "three random provinces connected to the docked ships" or "all water provinces within three moves of the ships")?

I remember reading about that in a post by someone of the paradox staff.
IIRC, he said that this information is available hovering on the port.
Never checked myself, though.

How do I get as many posts as OrangeYoshi?

Either start posting answers or go back to GMing MP games. Preferably the latter. The MP community still hasn't entirely recovered from the flurry of Alpha and Metz GMd games. ;)

Two simple questions:

1) Could Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind run on an ATI Radeon Mobility 4330? Resolution is 1366x768, I don't expect fast gameplay, but would it be able to manage 15FPS? If not, could it handle EU3:HttT?
2) Is there any way to see the total world wide production and national production of a good (in units)?

It would probably be able to handle HTTT. The resolution is pretty big, but my laptop was able to do it. DW introduces a new fog of war animation which kills my laptop whenever I zoom in enough to see it.

The demo runs a little faster than the actual game, but it should be enough to check the FoW induced lag.

Excellent, but I don't have the hardware yet... If it can play EU3 that is a major plus.

You could also test the V2 demo. If that runs for you, you'll have no problems playing DW. V2 is a little more CPU-intensive than DW, so if the V2 demo runs well, everything is fine. The HttT demo will show you if HttT runs, obviously :)

It would probably be able to handle HTTT. The resolution is pretty big, but my laptop was able to do it. DW introduces a new fog of war animation which kills my laptop whenever I zoom in enough to see it.

It has been stated time and again, by devs and players/testers alike that the fog is not the reason. It's the many things that get drawn on the zoomed-in map. Check the user mod forums for a low-res mod, that offers some speed improvements (no idea how high, I don't use it).

It has been stated time and again, by devs and players/testers alike that the fog is not the reason. It's the many things that get drawn on the zoomed-in map. Check the user mod forums for a low-res mod, that offers some speed improvements (no idea how high, I don't use it).

And when absolutely nothing is drawn on the zoomed-in map other than the fog?

In what file can I find the event? Windows search has been unable to help me so far :(

As far as those achievements go, unless they have a direct impact on the game I don't really need 'em.

Edit: Nevermind, found it!

Last edited:
In case anyone else is wondering, what you can do to find absolutely any event is to make a note of the title or text of the event, search the .csv localisation for that text, and there you'll find the name of the event with it's number. Then just search your event folder for that name or number.

I just found the Azores and Brittany owns it despite not having "Quest for the new world" as an idea. Is that not a requirement for the AI? Disappointing if so.

You can move into Terra Incognita if you are at war with the owner of the province regardless of National Idea. If Portugal colonized Azores and then went to war with Brittany, Brittany can most certainly land troops and sieze that province.

@ Eduhum - you've neglected to mention three important things. Leader abilities, terrain modifiers, and discipline.

FOUR! Four important things! Leader abilities, terrain modifiers, discipline, and land tech level.

Five! Amongst various other things that affect combat, are such diverse elements as Leadership abilities, terrain modifiers, discipline, land tech and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.

A shock 3+ leader can overcome almost all terrain penalties (fire is only for naval warfare in the early game). The attacker may (percentage chance based on the province terrain types) draw a penalty for crossing a river, or fighting in forests, jungles, hills, and mountains. Discipline is one of those things that you don't need until you don't have it. Your slider position (offensive/defensive I believe?) gives a bonus/penalty to your discipline score, which can further benefit from an advisor or a National Idea. Discipline is one of those factors that you won't notice until you get seriously outclassed. Say... 96% versus 112% or more. Land tech implies better fighting, but you really notice the difference if you are 6 or less fighting a 7. Land tech 7 is not just better fighting, but better morale too. The best mix is high tech, discipline, and leadership skills; while keeping regiment strength and morale up.
I approve this fragment.
Now back to self-defense against fresh fruits.

You can move into Terra Incognita if you are at war with the owner of the province regardless of National Idea. If Portugal colonized Azores and then went to war with Brittany, Brittany can most certainly land troops and sieze that province.

That is what I thought but I am the only European country with the Quest for the new World idea so noone else should be able to get explorers. Unless a South American country discovered it but then Brittany hasn't been to war with any. Brittany has been to war with Portugal so maybe they get it off of them but Portugal only has the bureaucracy national idea and not QFTNW?

That is what I thought but I am the only European country with the Quest for the new World idea so noone else should be able to get explorers. Unless a South American country discovered it but then Brittany hasn't been to war with any. Brittany has been to war with Portugal so maybe they get it off of them but Portugal only has the bureaucracy national idea and not QFTNW?
Portugal can get a mission to move a naval unit into the sea zone next to the Azores; their reward for completing the mission is to remove the terra incognita on the Azores province. Ditto for Madeira, I believe.

Portugal can get a mission to move a naval unit into the sea zone next to the Azores; their reward for completing the mission is to remove the terra incognita on the Azores province. Ditto for Madeira, I believe.

Correct. And playing Castille I once got a similar mission to reveal The Canarias, but it didn't seem to show up until later in the 1400s. (That's not to say it has a later date requirement, but it makes sense if it did.)

After changing state-religion to protestantism and with the national idea Ecumenism, my tolerance of ALL christian beliefs is at 4.
In this situation, is there any point to missionize my non-protestant christian provinces?