• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does the AI handle westernisation? I'm trying to get the Huron to westernise (I'm the Netherlands) by protecting them while they tech up and form a native american empire.

So will Huron (who is tribal democracy) go past slider limits to westernise? No need to worry about leader skills as they have an ADM 8 leader.
Basically will Huron now focus on trying to westernise or not?

They AI does westernize, but only if it ever gets its sliders into position. While it does centralize, it never or rarely moves towards innovative... The only country that will westenize consistently is Granada.

So I just started up a game as Hausa and gave everyone in the region (except those who I've ignored so far, like Mali, who I haven't even discovered yet, or Songhai, who's been sphered by Mali) a nice old beating.(it's not actually that old yet though, it's only 1401). Among other things, I annexed Oyo and rereleased them as a muslim vassal. Normally, nations you release as vassals will get your government, I've even released some american natives I had no real interest in but didn't want anyone else to annex as absolute monarchy before. However, Oyo is still a Tribal Democracy, not a Despotism. Why, is there an exception to this for tribals releasing others?

Also, these sub-saharan rebels are far worse than I remembered, must be because in my last sub-saharan game I had mountains and predictable rebel walking paths. I have a 4k pretender stack and there's nothing I can do, they shred my troops to pieces no matter how many I send, they recover 400 troops a month and they have already completely drained my manpower. And I can't collapse because the country is divided and they just patrol between two provinces... However, if I get another revolt, and in Benin that's pretty likely, I'm screwed. What can I even do about them? Other than waiting until the pretender dies on one of his endless marches through the desert, which is what eventually happened, that is.

Last edited:
1. You need Government Tech level 10 for Tribal Despotism.

2. How's your morale level? Try to increase that. Are your troops fully funded. Is the army maintenance slider moved all the way to the right (we've all done this mistake)?Are you suffering from overxtension?

Can someone write good and "hidden" decisions? And decisons that increasing production?:)
Hidden from who? Obviously they can't be "hidden" from the player who enacts them or they can't be enacted. Can you give more details on what you want?

Hidden from who? Obviously they can't be "hidden" from the player who enacts them or they can't be enacted. Can you give more details on what you want?

I'm guessing he's talking about decisions like Gilded iconography or enlist privateers.

Vassalising the Pope is an amazing thing to do for any and all Catholics. You become practically immune to excommuncation, and you can excommunicate anyone who you are having trouble with (as in, multiple wars).

Hey! I'm T.O. and have annexed Pommerania. Bohemia is the emperor and is dying to go to war with me. My question is: if I release Pommerania as a vassal will Bohemia loose the Imperial Ban CB? Or does that effect having HRE vassals as well?

Playing DW 5.1

For a country with lots of manpower and high cash-flow, is it better in the early game to build armies that obey the combined-arms limit (conserving casualties) or to use stacks of Cavalry for shock effect?

Playing DW 5.1

For a country with lots of manpower and high cash-flow, is it better in the early game to build armies that obey the combined-arms limit (conserving casualties) or to use stacks of Cavalry for shock effect?

All other things being equal, the general rule is 2:1 (infantry:cavalry). But for a country with lots of manpower, it doesn't really matter. Just swarm your enemies :)

Hey! I'm T.O. and have annexed Pommerania. Bohemia is the emperor and is dying to go to war with me. My question is: if I release Pommerania as a vassal will Bohemia loose the Imperial Ban CB? Or does that effect having HRE vassals as well?

If the only HRE provinces you own would go to Pommerania as core provinces then the imperial ban CB will be lost.

Vassals don't matter, but the Imperial provinces in Livonia do.

Whats a good move for someone who has just formed Ireland? Year is 1420.

Unless you want to pick a fight with England or France (which you probably don't right now), gear yourself towards colonizing the New World. Improve naval tech, build your fleet, take Quest for the New World national idea, and try to form a colonial empire. Conquering land in India is another good idea, and not mutually exclusive.

Getting into wars in Europe is not cost effective for you. Stay off the Continent, seek your fortune across the seas.

No, but assuming you haven't annexed any other imperial states they'll lose the imperial liberation CB. You might want to consider relieving the Pommeranian provinces from the empire. This will make Bohemia super mad at you, but they'll lose the imperial liberation CB and won't be able to use imperial CBs to annex those provinces. You'll also avoid the formal request event, which is quite a b**ch.