• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
couple of quick questions:

1. I´m currently playing Norway at around year 1600, and have never played a single game of eu3 this far. When the protestant reformation started i decided to convert to protestantism. My question is, is it normal that almost no other european nations convert to either protestantism or reformed? A couple of OPMs converted to protestantism and Novgorod converted to reformed in my game, but the rest stayed catholic, leaving allyless and hated, barely surviving aggressions from England amongst other.

2. England is currently in a crisis and involved in multiple wars with every province occupied. Problem is they seem to not accept peace deals and the wars have been ongoing for more than a decade. Will the wars ever end?

couple of quick questions:

1. I´m currently playing Norway at around year 1600, and have never played a single game of eu3 this far. When the protestant reformation started i decided to convert to protestantism. My question is, is it normal that almost no other european nations convert to either protestantism or reformed? A couple of OPMs converted to protestantism and Novgorod converted to reformed in my game, but the rest stayed catholic, leaving allyless and hated, barely surviving aggressions from England amongst other.

2. England is currently in a crisis and involved in multiple wars with every province occupied. Problem is they seem to not accept peace deals and the wars have been ongoing for more than a decade. Will the wars ever end?

1. it's not normal though it is not a surprise as well - sometimes the Reformation fails utterly. some other times almost all but the Latin countries convert. when you will have more games played you will meet both I guess. as for allies: all you can do is to bribe them until you have good relations. then they will be more likely to ally you.

2. I guess some rebels revolted and formed a new country - when that is the case both sides can annex each other for 0 infamy so AI aims towards that. but some provinces could be occupied by other countries (in the worst case other revolters) which prevents annexation and pretty much locks the sides in an eternal war. that is a known issue but there isn't much you can do about it. well, you could load up as England and make peace.

Thanks for replying!

As for the second point, you are probably right. It´s a war of scottish revolution. You mean I shouldn´t expect it to solve itself given time, and the countries will just stay in war for the rest of the game?

Thanks for replying!

As for the second point, you are probably right. It´s a war of scottish revolution. You mean I shouldn´t expect it to solve itself given time, and the countries will just stay in war for the rest of the game?

it may solve itself at some point due to other countries declaring war on Scotland (I guess they are currently occupying most of England but are unable to annex it for one reason or another) or some other external factor. it could take several decades or even a century though.

How to defect OPMs?

After reading the Prawnstar wc AAR it comes to my mind:
How to make so easilly OPMs defect to a country to make it more BB-efficient to conquer? I usually have no spy mission for revolting.
Fund Patriots/Nationalist/... doesn't work because there is "no valid rebel type for this".

There is only "Support revolt" but it's not a gurantee for this.

After reading the Prawnstar wc AAR it comes to my mind:
How to make so easilly OPMs defect to a country to make it more BB-efficient to conquer? I usually have no spy mission for revolting.
Fund Patriots/Nationalist/... doesn't work because there is "no valid rebel type for this".

There is only "Support revolt" but it's not a gurantee for this.

The best way is to just let another nation conquer the OPM. OPMs will usually just collapse to rebels that occupy them. Sometimes a nationalist uprising that spills into the OPM will result in the desired 2pm breaking loose but if the nationalists sieze the OPM first it just collapses into a different OPM. They have to take a province then go into the OPM for the strategy to work.

If you have patriot rebels of a third nation of the same culture or with a core on the target in a province bordering them and they don't have an army, put an army in all other provinces surrounding the one with the rebels and make sure you don't kill them when you do fight them. Very situational and not guaranteed to work, I am afraid.

Haha, I also have a rebel "problem". Aceh had conquered the island of Bali-Lombok next to Majapahit and as Aceh was much bigger than the 2PM Majapahit I decided to use patriot rebels to make the island defect to Majapahit. My plan worked and Maja got the island, but now few years later I'm conquering Maja and the rebels are still there. As I'm the one who funded them I can't kill them and they have started another siege which prevents me from sieging the island. I assume this is because I used 2 spies to get stack big enough so Aceh could not kill them.

What are my options? I'm not above cheating in this particular issue as I view it as not WAD. If this can be solved by just waiting for the "second" defection then it's all the same to me as I'm not going to annex them untill few years later anyway.

That's... odd. Maybe it's because it's an island, since normally patriot rebels like to wander around?

Is there any difference between the flags of Lan Xang and its swamp green revolter state Luang Prabang?

Last edited:
I am having a difficult time understanding the combat formula. I've paused the game while a battle is going on, and examined two units fighting each other within that battle, trying to calculate the outcome among those two units, using the formula displayed on the wiki. Every time, my calculations are incorrect, (indeed, I have to guess sometimes as to what it means by its inconsistent terms). Could someone please help me understand this formula, so that if need be I can further examine my armies in battle.

So, this may not exactly be a 'quick answer' that I'm asking for, but would someone be kind enough to explain to me the formula for land combat? The Wiki's (http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Military) is not nearly as concise as it could be.

I am having a difficult time understanding the combat formula. I've paused the game while a battle is going on, and examined two units fighting each other within that battle, trying to calculate the outcome among those two units, using the formula displayed on the wiki. Every time, my calculations are incorrect, (indeed, I have to guess sometimes as to what it means by its inconsistent terms). Could someone please help me understand this formula, so that if need be I can further examine my armies in battle.

So, this may not exactly be a 'quick answer' that I'm asking for, but would someone be kind enough to explain to me the formula for land combat? The Wiki's (http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Military) is not nearly as concise as it could be.

can you post an example, your calculation's result and the "correct" result? I think formula is quite right, but I never checked it

can you post an example, your calculation's result and the "correct" result? I think formula is quite right, but I never checked it

Yes, granted this will be done in Death and Taxes 9.0, which I don't think will have any affect on the combat formula.

I will attempt to follow the formula given in the wiki for my calculations to the best of my ability to understand it, ask questions where I don't understand it, and point out where I believe it to be incomplete or incorrect.

For reference, here is an excerpt of the Military article of the EU3 Wiki, which addresses land combat:

Combat

Combat consists of a series of combat resolutions. A single combat resolution lasts for a 5-day period, beginning with a 5-day shock combat resolution, followed by a 5-day fire combat resolution. This alternating process completes until one army runs out of morale. This system means that shock combat resolutions are slightly more common, and that combat against defeated or retreating forces will be resolved entirely in the shock combat resolution.
Actual combat is resolved using the following formula. The process is the same for shock combat resolutions as it is for fire, simply using fire attack/defense rating instead of shock attack/defense ratings. On each day of combat the game evaluates how many casualties each side inflicts on the other by the following formula:
Casualties
Modified roll = (Attack + Dice) - (Defense + Terrain) + (Leader Differential)
Final Casualties: Base Roll * Tech Level Modifier * Discipline * 6
If the Modified roll is 13 or greater, then use 12 as the modified roll.
If the Modified roll is less than 13 but greater than 1, then subtract 1 from the modified roll.
If the Modified roll is 1, then use the modified roll.
If the Modified roll is less than 1, then the use 2^(modified roll).
Definitions:
Attack: the attack rating (shock or fire rating depending on the combat resolution).
Dice: A random number (in the range 0-9) representing luck for the combat resolution
Terrain: Terrain modifiers are applied to both the attacker and defender's offensive roll - it subtracts from the attacker and adds to the defender. Cavalry takes double penalties (but does not get double benefit on defense).
Forest/Marsh/Hills: -1 for the attacker, +1 for the defender
Mountains: -2 for the attacker, +2 for the defender
River Crossing: -1 for the attacker, +1 for the defender
Defense: the defense rating (shock or fire rating depending on the combat resolution).
In IN, if there an artillery unit in the back row, it gives half its defense rating to the infantry unit in front of it as a bonus.
Leader Differential: The difference in capability between the opposing leaders.
Tech Level Modifier: The Shock or Fire multiplier based on the tech level of the army's nation.
Discipline: A damage modifier. So discipline of 125% increases the damage done by the unit by 25%, discipline 90% reduces the damage done by 10%. The National Idea Napoleonic Warfare increases Discipline by 25%, but requires a Land Tech level of ≥53.
In IN, if an artillery unit is in the back row, its damage is halved.
Military tactics is a concept introduced in Heir to the Throne. It is a value that increases with some Land Tech levels and it makes a big difference in combat. As the vlaue of Military tactics increases the amount of damage taken decreases. The amount of damage done is modified by the military tactics value by the follwing formula: Damage = Base damage / (1 + Military Tactics)
Morale
Modified roll = Morale Offense - Morale Defense
Final Morale Damage = Modified roll * Tech Level Modifier * 0.08
If the Modified roll is 13 or greater, then use 12 as the modified roll.
If the Modified roll is less than 13 but greater than 2, then subtract 1 from the modified roll.
If the Modified roll is less than 2, then use 1 for the modified roll.

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Military

I have decided to play a random scenario for this example. I will be in command of the Polish against the Russians in the Livonian War.

Here is the battle of Smolensk

BattleofSmolenskI.png

An assumption that I am going to make is that the result of the final losses in moral and casualties for both armies per day is the sum of that for all of their units, where this formula, and thus the real 'combat' applies to individual units fighting each other, and not entire armies. But, the results of the combat among these individual units are added together to determine the damage done to the entire army. I do need to apologize if this didn't make sense. Sometimes I have difficulty formulating my thoughts into words.

And, going off of that assumption, I will observe the combat between Vladimir's 1st Regiment of infantry, and Mazovia's 1st Regiment of infantry for all calculations.

Before I attempt to calculate anything, I must ask, (and this was not mentioned in the wiki), is the effectiveness of a unit in combat directly proportionate to its percentage of men? For instance, would a unit of 900 men be 90% as effective as it would be with 1,000 men? This would definitely make sense, but it was not mentioned anywhere in the wiki.

Regardless, here I begin. Please point out any inaccuracies or errors that I commit.

To Determine Casualties

"Modified roll = (Attack + Dice) - (Defense + Terrain) + (Leader Differential)"

So, I will posit this: "Modified Role = (3 + 6) - (0 + (-2)) + (1)" - Modified Role = 12 (originally 13)

Now, when it says "defense" this is obviously the defense of the enemy unit, right?

Since Russia is the defender, and the terrain modifier is 2 in this case, would I posit -2 to my modified role, since I would subtract it for +2 to my modified role?

The wiki mentions that terrain "subtracts from the attacker and adds to the defender" as it concerns the offensive role. I added it in the second set of parentheses to be subtracted from the first, but that is all that I need to do with it, right?

Now, for casualties, the wiki says "base role". Is this the same as the modified role? I really wish it was consistent with its terms here. Nonetheless, I will assume that it means the modified role. In that case:

"Final Casualties: Base Roll * Tech Level Modifier * Discipline * 6"

"Final Casualties = 12 * 2 * .88 * 6 = 126.72" (I will round this to 127)"

'Tech Level Modifier' is Military Tactics, I presume?

Thus, on this day, Vladimir's 1st Regiment should inflict 127 casualties upon Mazovia's 1st Regiment, if my calculations were correct. They had 986 men at the beginning of the day, so they obviously should have 859 men by tomorrow.

BattleofSmolenskII.png

However, they only were reduced to 972 men! What am I doing wrong here? Please, please help me to understand this. I don't have time to do this whole process again for morale. I'll try that another day. In the meantime, thank you very much for your help.

In the exploration map mode you can see red arrows in the Atlantic. What are those and how do they affect the game?
They indicate that those provinces are affected by the trade winds; travelling in the direction of the arrow is faster, travelling against the arrow is slower.

@Doppelsoldner: I'm definitely not an expert, just my 2 cents.
I think Discipline has to be calculated as 1.02 if you have 102 % of discipline. In your calculation it seems to be simply 2 (or you really have 200% discipline?)
tech level multiplier should be the infantry/cavalry/artillery fire/shock values you find in ledger (page 16). You can also find them in the page where you can select your favorite units (the white digits next to the name) - same page where you set army maintenance levels.

Military tactics I think it's used in defense only, so if your enemy has a military tactics multiplier higher than 1 you should consider it, also. (I'm not sure how you can know it in game)

Also consider that more than one unit can attack the enemy one, so casualty infliceted by all units attacking that specific enemy unit should be added up (but in this case it could make difference even higher).

Finally, consider that formula for casualties calculation has been added to wiki in December 2008 (you can see it in the history page), then updated in May 2009 and since then only small changes has been written to wiki in that section (mostly discipline and military tactics). In May 2009, HTTT and Divine Wind were not been released, yet, so changes introduced by these expansions are not in that formula (I presume something is changed). You can see history of the wiki page pressing the "history" tab at the top of the page.

So definitely that formula can be wrong.

@Doppelsoldner: I'm definitely not an expert, just my 2 cents.
I think Discipline has to be calculated as 1.02 if you have 102 % of discipline. In your calculation it seems to be simply 2 (or you really have 200% discipline?)
tech level multiplier should be the infantry/cavalry/artillery fire/shock values you find in ledger (page 16). You can also find them in the page where you can select your favorite units (the white digits next to the name) - same page where you set army maintenance levels.

Military tactics I think it's used in defense only, so if your enemy has a military tactics multiplier higher than 1 you should consider it, also. (I'm not sure how you can know it in game)

Also consider that more than one unit can attack the enemy one, so casualty infliceted by all units attacking that specific enemy unit should be added up (but in this case it could make difference even higher).

Finally, consider that formula for casualties calculation has been added to wiki in December 2008 (you can see it in the history page), then updated in May 2009 and since then only small changes has been written to wiki in that section (mostly discipline and military tactics). In May 2009, HTTT and Divine Wind were not been released, yet, so changes introduced by these expansions are not in that formula (I presume something is changed). You can see history of the wiki page pressing the "history" tab at the top of the page.

So definitely that formula can be wrong.

Ah, the ".88" was the number for discipline (which was at 88% in the case of the Russians).

Okay, I have been really curious as to what those are ('those' being the small fire/shock values found in the ledger and military tab). So, they essentially are just multipliers for you units in combat respective to the phase that they're in? And when this is improved upon further research of Land Tech, does it inform you of the increase, or is it off-screen? Also, is it a linear function, so that it increases in consistent proportion to the tech level?

Yeah, there is always the possibility that that information is outdated, but surely with so many players of EU3 here, someone knows the correct formula, and the changes that have been added. I would really like to know.