• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can no longer start a new game with any mod anymore without the game crashing while adapting history... can anyone explain this?
That seems to be a problem with one of the mods. AN error in the code probably. If reinstall the game (or validate with steam) the problem will go away I'm sure. Start installing the mods again one at a time to find the bad one. (it can also be a recent modification by you, if you did such a thing. A missing bracket in a line is enough to cause crash.

A quick question on military units(I'm at men at arms level atm). Can you have more than one type of inf/cav in your armies? Because when I got to the men at arms/longbow level, I rearmed my units to men at arms, but then I could not recruit longbows. Also I've noticed some provinces that can recruit more than the 1 inf, 1cav. For example as england there were some provinces where I could build both Latin knights and Chevauchee and as Sweden I have one province where I can still recruit latin infantry after I've changed to men at arms.

A quick question on military units(I'm at men at arms level atm). Can you have more than one type of inf/cav in your armies? Because when I got to the men at arms/longbow level, I rearmed my units to men at arms, but then I could not recruit longbows. Also I've noticed some provinces that can recruit more than the 1 inf, 1cav. For example as england there were some provinces where I could build both Latin knights and Chevauchee and as Sweden I have one province where I can still recruit latin infantry after I've changed to men at arms.

England base is chevauchee, so if you go into Englands menu, and change to latin knights, you won't be able to recruit chev anymore, and all your chev units will turn to latin knights.

If you conquer a province that province usually have whatever the previous owner had, military tech and so, I was able to get men at arms from my french provs as England, even though I hadn't reached that tech yet.

I just started up a game with Castille and about 5 years in I get a message saying I´ve entered a personal union with France. Is this good or bad? How did it happen and how should I play it?
If you are the leader (Castille leads) France might try to lower relations so they get out of it, depends on how powerful you are compared to them (I think only army size matters). Make sure you have more troops if you want to continue the PU and eventually inherit them. If you are the junior partner, try and spam insults so relations get low enough and the PU ends when their (also your) king dies.

No idea, I'm sorry. In fact, I don't think I ever paid any attention to them before now.

So, I looked up the requirements for the event "Clergy condemns philosopher as heretic" and on the wiki it says under MTTH: "none, triggered only". How do I have to understand this?

How do you pull back from extreme war exhaustion?

I got a little carried away in the years before the holy war CB ended, and my WE got pretty high. I'm at peace now, but it's still rising thanks to losses from putting down those revolts. Is there any way I can salvage this?

So, I looked up the requirements for the event "Clergy condemns philosopher as heretic" and on the wiki it says under MTTH: "none, triggered only". How do I have to understand this?

from events\randomevents.txt line 3722
Code:
country_event = {
	id = 724
	is_triggered_only = yes
	trigger = {
		religion_group = christian
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 1
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.5
			luck = yes
		}		
	}
[...]

wiki says:
Code:
is_triggered_only = yes/no
When yes, this event can only fire when another script (event, decision, on action events, domestic slider change) trigger him

I have been unable to find an event that recalls it, anyway.

No idea what a MTTH of 1 does: does it mean that every month you have 100% chance of it happening?

Each country in the world gets a "pulse" event once every two years. This is selected from a list of events which are stored in events/RandomEvents.txt and which includes the event you describe. The "mean time to happen" field of these events is used as relative-probability scheme.

Each country in the world gets a "pulse" event once every two years. This is selected from a list of events which are stored in events/RandomEvents.txt and which includes the event you describe. The "mean time to happen" field of these events is used as relative-probability scheme.
And what makes it a "pulse" event is that it has both is_triggered_only AND mean_time_to_happen entries which would make no sense if it were a "normal" event.
"relative-probability" means that instead of lower MTTH numbers making it fire more often, lower MTTH numbers mean it is less likely to be chosen on a given pulse.

This "pulse" mechanic was added in a patch; otherwise they probably would have added a new keyword instead of adding a new meaning to existing ones.

How do you pull back from extreme war exhaustion?

I got a little carried away in the years before the holy war CB ended, and my WE got pretty high. I'm at peace now, but it's still rising thanks to losses from putting down those revolts. Is there any way I can salvage this?

Be at peace, fund stablity(to reduce revolts) and make sure none of your armies are suffering from attrition. without attrition rebels alone should not be enough to keep we rising.

Hello, two things: first, how do I search the thread? Is it through the advanced search tools? The second (because I couldn't search to find if this had been asked), I just got HttT and DW and I get these event pop-ups telling me that an advisor has been hired by another country and I've been paid. I've searched everywhere but I can't find anything on this mechanic. How does it work? Where do these advisors come from? Is is random, or can I influence it in some way?

Hello, two things: first, how do I search the thread? Is it through the advanced search tools? The second (because I couldn't search to find if this had been asked), I just got HttT and DW and I get these event pop-ups telling me that an advisor has been hired by another country and I've been paid. I've searched everywhere but I can't find anything on this mechanic. How does it work? Where do these advisors come from? Is is random, or can I influence it in some way?

If you recruit an advisor from the cultural tradition screen it goes into the pool of available advisors. One year later, assuming you didn't hire them, they become available for other nations to hire, triggering the message you are asking about. There as also a possibility of an advisor randomly spawning in one of your provinces that will behave in a similar fashion. I don't believe there is anything you can do to increase the chances of this beyond having a good reputation (low infamy), which seems to help, and a large number of provinces.

If you recruit an advisor from the cultural tradition screen it goes into the pool of available advisors. One year later, assuming you didn't hire them, they become available for other nations to hire, triggering the message you are asking about. There as also a possibility of an advisor randomly spawning in one of your provinces that will behave in a similar fashion. I don't believe there is anything you can do to increase the chances of this beyond having a good reputation (low infamy), which seems to help, and a large number of provinces.

Thanks for that. I figured it had something to do with that. In which case I can use cultural tradition to hire a bunch of advisors, then one year later hope that they all get bought up by other nations. Presumably.

Edit: It worked, I got a bunch of Masters of the Mint, around 7 or 8, then a year later they were each hired for 2 gold each, and since it cost me basically nothing, since I had a bunch of magistrates sitting around twiddling their thumbs, it was easy to get the required cultural tradition.

Last edited:
Be at peace, fund stablity(to reduce revolts) and make sure none of your armies are suffering from attrition. without attrition rebels alone should not be enough to keep we rising.

Thanks. On a related note, is there a way to find armies with attrition? At least, without dropping maintentance to 0 and looking for red.

I'm showing a pretty hefty attrition penalty, but having a hard time finding the source.

Thanks. On a related note, is there a way to find armies with attrition? At least, without dropping maintentance to 0 and looking for red.

I'm showing a pretty hefty attrition penalty, but having a hard time finding the source.

You can switch the map view to supply limit mode and compare the values of the provinces with the size of the armies in them for a quick overview. Alternately, select each army and look at the number in the top right of the display, if it isn't 0.0 then that army is taking attrition.

You can switch the map view to supply limit mode and compare the values of the provinces with the size of the armies in them for a quick overview. Alternately, select each army and look at the number in the top right of the display, if it isn't 0.0 then that army is taking attrition.

If I remember correctly, in the outliner (right part of your screen) army with attrition should be red, also

What I do is zoom the map all the way out and drag-select all my armies at once, but yes :)