• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In an attempted Milan->Italy game, how do you stop a Habskaiser with 71 regiments ruining your day?

I don't think you quite figured it out. The green 5% doesn't represent a bonus of any sort. The 5% means that your units stacked in that province were suffering 5% attrition. Green just means that replacements are coming in faster than attrition takes troops away, resulting in 100% strength in that army, but depleting manpower reserves.

Then the system is broken, because it tells me my army of 3000 sitting protecting amsterdam from rebels is taking 5% so they are taking attrition too.

Basicly there is absolutley NO WAY to figure out what stacks are taking attrition then

Diplomatic options, there should be a button that says "Enforce Religious Unity". If they decline, you get a CB to force convert them.

There is an "Enforce Religious Unity" Button in the screen, unless the year is 1650+ and thus it is removed (as is the Holy War CB).

Thanks, it's 1700, which would explain why it's missing.

In an attempted Milan->Italy game, how do you stop a Habskaiser with 71 regiments ruining your day?

Become best friends with Bohemia and/or France. Otherwise, die gloriously.

So I never really made this my goal but in my first game I've become the Spanish HREmperor without actually joining it. Pretty much everything east of Burgundy and north of Genoa is independent of me but it being 1730 I want to see if I can initiate the HRE reforms and integrate the HRE.

Any tips? I've never played the HRE game before.

Ferrara has a PU over Moderna.

What happens to Moderna if Milan gains a PU over Ferrara?

Pretty sure Modena becomes independent with either the former ruler of Ferrara or a local noble in charge.

Originally Posted by grommile

Become best friends with Bohemia and/or France. Otherwise, die gloriously.

Bavaria can often be a useful ally in this situation as well, particularly early in the game. Getting a border+strong alliance with France is defitely your best option though.

Then the system is broken, because it tells me my army of 3000 sitting protecting amsterdam from rebels is taking 5% so they are taking attrition too.

Basicly there is absolutley NO WAY to figure out what stacks are taking attrition then

Yes there is. If the number is not 0 the army is taking attrition. There are a number of scenarios that can cause an army, even as small as 3k, to be taking attrition. A very basic one is that there is another army in the province. It doesn't matter if they are friendly, have access agreements, or whatever, every soldier in a province contributes to attrition for all armies in that province. If the HRE happens to be marching a doomstack through Amsterdam then your army there is going to get hit with attrition too.

Can someone explain this!? I never got rid of the Bill of Rights NI...
2dm5oxt.png

Are you running a mod? Mod may have completely different requirements for that CB.

2dm5oxt.png

Damn it! You could've abused the cb and screw mega Cali over! btw did Cali form something, cause I don't remember that peachy color.

It's probably because (I think) they only get their culture from revolting, and you can only release nations with provinces of their culture (like, you can't release Lativan state Riga in Prussian province Riga).

What is a good cannon/fort level ratio?

The target need to be able to release a vassal, or have one vassal for Liberation CB to be active.
Unless you're running a mod that changes it, check common/cbtypes.txt for the requirements.

What is a good cannon/fort level ratio?
Minimum of 1 cannon per fort level to speed it up. Next two increases are, 3 and 4 per fort level. Anything else in between is a waste of supply limit.

Last edited:
I mostly play with normal difficulty, but I cannot expand with Venice even when I'm playing Easy.
So can someone outline some expansion strategies for Venice? The first two missions are my greatest problem, I declare war on Aquiela/Milan and regardless of the fact that Milan can kick my ass up to my nose without any difficulty, I always get Bohemia and a host of allies at war with me as well.
If I don't do the missions, I can either expand by annexing the minors in the meditreanian (which means Byzantine nationalist) or what?

I play Divine Wind
Thanks in advance.

I just started up a game with Castille and about 5 years in I get a message saying I´ve entered a personal union with France. Is this good or bad? How did it happen and how should I play it?