• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
it is even better to max out a slider. you will have the benefits of this one tech sooner. never spread.
'Never' is a big word. It's usually better to go for one tech at a time, yes; but if the techs you're going for don't give any particular benefit, you might not want to bother fiddling with your sliders every couple of years, but just leave them spread for 10-15 years while you worry about other things.

Also, while it's a small factor: remember that when you reach a new tech level, you're also giving a bigger neighbour bonus to all your rivals to help them catch up with you. If the tech level you reach doesn't give you a bonus, all you're doing by reaching it faster is helping your enemies...

What exactly is "war capacity"? What does it measure? Thanks in advance for a reply.

Also, while it's a small factor: remember that when you reach a new tech level, you're also giving a bigger neighbour bonus to all your rivals to help them catch up with you. If the tech level you reach doesn't give you a bonus, all you're doing by reaching it faster is helping your enemies...

How does Neighbor bonus actually work, is it only your direct neighbors? And what happens if you have a buffer-zone of Vassals between yourself and zhe enemiez?

AFAIK your 'neighbours' is your Tech group (Latin, Eastern etc.)

How does Neighbor bonus actually work, is it only your direct neighbors? And what happens if you have a buffer-zone of Vassals between yourself and zhe enemiez?

It's a bonus from your entire tech group. Adjacency doesn't matter.

For instance, a Great Britain that owns all the British Isles and no other provinces would still qualify for a neighbor bonus, even though they have no actual neighbors. Similarly, a country that just Westernized will get a bonus from all Western (or whatever tech group you just entered) nations.

It's a bonus from your entire tech group. Adjacency doesn't matter.

Actually, there was a thread from ... a month or two ago? that proved that neighbour bonus comes from both everyone in your tech group, AND everyone you directly border (and I believe direct-border-in-tech-group) counted twice. You'd have to look around a bit to find it, but if you're backwards, bordering more countries is more better (until they invade)

Quick question:

I am playing EUIII with updates but not yet any expansions (will get this weekend). But when I'm dealing with rebels, and really sometimes other nations, the wierdest things seem to happen.

As Wales I have a revolt in a province, I send my army of 4k to quell the revolt, yet an army of 1k beats my army?! Im not sure I understand this. Also, I went to war with Brittany with a war score of 100%, and when I have them cede Finistere and Morbihan, war score of 40, then try and vassal the rest (which is only Vendee) for a tottle warscore of 94, they reject that offer. They will cede the other two provinces but that is it.

Any advice to this?

Drachenfire: Were your troops on maximum morale? Also did the terrain (I know wales is mountaneous at parts) give the rebels a major boost?

Bohemia is my vassal and I would love to diplo-annex them if possible but as it has 7 provinces I am worried that they wouldn't be cored so it would add 1.75 to my yearly infamy score. Is that the case or would they be cored? What would you do if you were me?

Drachenfire: Were your troops on maximum morale? Also did the terrain (I know wales is mountaneous at parts) give the rebels a major boost?

Bohemia is my vassal and I would love to diplo-annex them if possible but as it has 7 provinces I am worried that they wouldn't be cored so it would add 1.75 to my yearly infamy score. Is that the case or would they be cored? What would you do if you were me?

They won't be cored. You will get the unlawful territory penalty. Either keep them as your vassal, they are quite powerful, will send you half their tax income and help you in wars reasonably well. OR Cancle the vassal and then force a PU on them that way when you inherit them you will get cores if you are both in the HRE regardless of your culture groups.

For this game, keep them as vassal, don't inherit.

For future games, force a pu don't force vassal.

No way to tell before you start a war with him? (Assuming I don't have his cores, which I don't.)

If you can see him build a unit, ie send some boats to his coast to scout, then mouseover that and it will say "building men at arms" etc.

Or just reload a save as that country. In general though the AI will almost never westernise, so you can just asume its the one it was at the start. Additionally you can set it to be a message pop up when another country westernises so you know which ones have actually changed tech group at least.