• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When a personal union ends, what determines whether the new dynasty is of the same dynasty as that of the senior partner of the recently expired union or a new dynasty?
I think it will be a random dynasty of their culture. For example, this very hypothetical situation: if Styria exists and is under PU with Austria and the PU breaks, they might just get another Habsburg. Hungary won't.

So, I just played my first few years of a "MP" game, a cooperative one with my friend (as Morocco and Castille) I gave the free Chronicles to. France discovered Japan in 1402 or so. He was doing the host and had just installed the game. My colonist travel time to Tuat didn't seem off though.

So, I just played my first few years of a "MP" game, a cooperative one with my friend (as Morocco and Castille) I gave the free Chronicles to. France discovered Japan in 1402 or so. He was doing the host and had just installed the game. My colonist travel time to Tuat didn't seem off though.

When you select a bunch of different time periods before starting the game, the histories seem to get all messed up. I've had Portugal declaring Crusades on the Choctaw right at the start of the game. I suggest clearing your caches and starting a new game, this time only selecting the exact start date you want and then starting the game.

When you select a bunch of different time periods before starting the game, the histories seem to get all messed up.
Which is unfortunate because scrolling the clock forward to see how the map changes is rather fun.
Just need to exit and restart after you decide on a starting date though.

Last edited:
I ended up finding out what happened: while I was fighting Bohemia, if their king died, Anhalt would have PU'd them. Against all odds, that happened around a month before i peaced them out. They counted the Anhalt PU over mine. I just reloaded to when Bohemia didn't have that, and then just moved on.

I am playing as Milan, and have conquered both Liguria and Venezia, and thus I own both CoTs. However, about a few months after my ownership of them, both of their values dropped immensely, perhaps to about 25% of their original value. Why is this? Is there a way for me to regain this value?

Other than more conquests or pass them back to a merchant republic, no. They were 2k~3k in value because all members of their trade league have a much higher chance to trade through their league CoT.

Since you grabbed them from Venice and Hansa, their respective league members start to trade through whichever CoT is closer, or their own CoT if they have one.

I am playing as Milan, and have conquered both Liguria and Venezia, and thus I own both CoTs. However, about a few months after my ownership of them, both of their values dropped immensely, perhaps to about 25% of their original value. Why is this? Is there a way for me to regain this value?

The trade likely dropped some to Andalusia, some to Antwerp, some to Lubeck, and some to Ile-de-France. You should look at the trade map to see which CoTs you lost the value to. It's possible someone formed a new CoT, because I don't see how Venice and Liguria could drop to 25% of their value.

Oh I see. So if everyone prefer old manpower system, paradox still gonna push for 10 years regeneration of manpower?
"everyone" doesn't prefer it; some people do (especially for multiplayer it seems). I think most would agree that manpower regen was too fast before; some just think the change goes too far in the other direction.

The trade likely dropped some to Andalusia, some to Antwerp, some to Lubeck, and some to Ile-de-France. You should look at the trade map to see which CoTs you lost the value to. It's possible someone formed a new CoT, because I don't see how Venice and Liguria could drop to 25% of their value.
If the Hansa's trade range is high enough, a lot of the former members of the Italian trade leagues might now be in the German one.

Easy: They used to be CoTs in a trade league. All the trade league members suddenly found themselves not bound to trade in those provinces so likely are heading to Lubeck instead.

Easy: They used to be CoTs in a trade league. All the trade league members suddenly found themselves not bound to trade in those provinces so likely are heading to Lubeck instead.

25% seems rather drastic though. Thinking about it though, it seems likely the Hansa bound more people to it's trade league. Just in terms of natural CoT attraction, it would seem that it would be unlikely to lose over 75% of your trade value because the league died.

I have seen 2k Venice dropping down to 300 after I've taken it, but that's probably because I was not Catholic.

When the other nations don't like you, you're stuck trading through your own provinces and maybe a couple around your CoT.

75% drop is reasonable, particularly if the league was strong with plenty of trade rights which trade Leagues dish out like they're going out of fashion. Also consider how an aggressive Milan may attract the disgust of other nations who will take their trade elsewhere. A Strong mercantile Hansa can steal trade from just 2 provinces away from Liguria through the league and could take Liguria itself's own trade away with a trade right.