• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for your answers! :)
It worked but it was a bit harder than I thought.
It was 3 wars actually to vassal Bohemia.
Than Austria has the final laughter because of my large infamy.
Reload->Burn infamy for years->vassal Bohemia->hre

It was basically bad luck because I managed to vassal the 4 electors just after the young Bohemian king was elected to hre. :(
So I have to do the hard or long way.
I can choose to wait 20-30-40? years the HR emperor to die or wage 3 wars to vassalize his country...

Nevertheless I got HRE in 1465 with England. :)

A bunch of QUESTIONs:

- I'm confused, my capital "Cairo" is not tropical, and thus I'm suffering tropical modifiers on some of my lands, but I don't suffer them on Najd, Morocco, Adal & Ethopia? and I suffer them on some parts of Oman & Algiers? am I a tropical or not a tropical?
- Assume I'm tropical, will I suffer the colonization penalties?

- EDIT: Also, do tropical provinces change by the time of the year?

Last edited:
- I'm confused, my capital "Cairo" is not tropical, and thus I'm suffering tropical modifiers on some of my lands, but I don't suffer them on Najd, Morocco, Adal & Ethopia? and I suffer them on some parts of Oman & Algiers? am I a tropical or not a tropical?
What specific provinces? Not all of these areas are tropical (e.g. coast of Morocco is not).
- Assume I'm tropical, will I suffer the colonization penalties?
It may still apply to the initial colonist but not to colonial growth or additional colonists.
- EDIT: Also, do tropical provinces change by the time of the year?
No; tropical is a climate, not weather.

What specific provinces? Not all of these areas are tropical (e.g. coast of Morocco is not).

Well, there's province Orissa as tropical, and capital Cuttack for that nation. In addition I have province Ibrim from my lands as tropical. I guess that proves that I'm not a tropical?

It may still apply to the initial colonist but not to colonial growth or additional colonists.

It is applying for everything, furthermore saying that I'm not a tropical.

BUT, if I'm really tropical, then why province Najd did not appear tropical, but after I annexed it it became tropical? ...

BUT, if I'm really tropical, then why province Najd did not appear tropical, but after I annexed it it became tropical? ...
Provinces you don't own show the modifiers for their current owner, not you. Najd's capital is tropical so they do not get tropical penalties.
Unfortunately I don't know if there's any way to see the climate in-game in countries that don't get the modifier.

I'm unsure of that you mean by "and well, you know the rest." If you mean culture-shifting, even though Yumen is Chihan: No it doesn't matter since the faction system is bound to the Nation (Ming) not the culture. Furthermore, Ming is one of the countries that can't culture shift (like for example France, Byzantium and Prussia), due to being prohibited in the decision file. The Faction system does desolve when Ming reforms into Manchu, it being a different Nation (TAG), and thus removes the Faction system. [Or by westernization in the Beta.] If you mean letting the capital be conquered by Hordes: No it doesn't matter, it just moves the capital back to Nanjing.
Well, I ment collapsing into a horde, still playing 5.1. But when the system is not connected to Celestial Empire government but the Ming tag, it probably won't fully work.

Another question: As Bavaria, I took one coastal province, Languedoc. After 50 years, it cored. I had a naval forcelimit of 1. I built a drydock in it and still had a naval forcelimit of 1. Where is the +1 from the drydock. Languedoc is still Occitain (with Settlement Policy), which, I think, is non-accepted even though I have 4 occitain provinces, 2 of which are cored, while with one Saxon province, Saxon is accepted (why, because of culture group?), and my slider is full land. Which of this made my drydock worthless?

HRE: for gaining easy Authority is it profitable to wait to the spread of protest* ?

I've got the HRE with british by 1468. Is it more profitable to wait to the spread of protestantism. Doing something else like colonism, holy wars.
Because gaining Imperial Authority by converting is so easy (Unam Sanctum)
Until that you just have the answer for calls or imp liberation to gain IA.

Or I may be spread to have horde neighbour for easy IA?

I've got the HRE with british by 1468. Is it more profitable to wait to the spread of protestantism. Doing something else like colonism, holy wars.

By more profitable, IA-wise, I believe that instead of letting the next 30 years go to waste, you could make use of them & get some IA, provided you use that IA you get since any left will get wasted when nations change their religion.

Provinces you don't own show the modifiers for their current owner, not you. Najd's capital is tropical so they do not get tropical penalties.
Unfortunately I don't know if there's any way to see the climate in-game in countries that don't get the modifier.

So, assuming Najd is still not annexed, if I go in, I'll suffer tropical attrition even though the province interface shows normal attrition, right?

Also, you're saying you don't know an in-game way to figure whether or not provinces like Najd are tropical or not before I acquire them?

Well, I ment collapsing into a horde, still playing 5.1. But when the system is not connected to Celestial Empire government but the Ming tag, it probably won't fully work.

Another question: As Bavaria, I took one coastal province, Languedoc. After 50 years, it cored. I had a naval forcelimit of 1. I built a drydock in it and still had a naval forcelimit of 1. Where is the +1 from the drydock. Languedoc is still Occitain (with Settlement Policy), which, I think, is non-accepted even though I have 4 occitain provinces, 2 of which are cored, while with one Saxon province, Saxon is accepted (why, because of culture group?), and my slider is full land. Which of this made my drydock worthless?

I'll get to your Bavarian question shortly in no one does, meanwhile if you don't mind, you can upload your particular savegame onto here, I could figure the answer faster that way. I hope there's nothing in the forum rules against linking Dropbox?

From the wiki, for naval forcelimits:

- Contribution of provinces of a different culture group (even if accepted) or non-state religion is halved.
- Contribution of provinces with no land connection to the capital (even on the same continent) is quartered.

From what I see in 1399, that province has 8 tax, giving initial forcelimit of 4, but by these two rules you will be getting 0.5, and maybe by rounding it shows as 1. The drydock is added on the 4, giving 5, for a net of 0.625. That's just some hasty math, so I might have made a mistake or two.

For the accepted cultures: Non-accepted from your own group gives -10% tax, non-accepted from a different group gives -30% tax, to find out what is accepted, press F1 and hover above your national culture. Acceptance of a culture is given by two ways:

1- Unifications, like France, Spain & GB, but NOT England, and NOT Castille.
2- From the wiki, as is:

If a culture becomes a significant minority within a country, they can gain the status as accepted culture. The criteria for "significant minority" is that it represents 20% or more of the base tax value in all your core provinces (not just the ones you own) and that you own at least one core of that culture. As of v.1.3, a culture loses it's accepted status if it drops below 5%. These percentages can be changed in defines.txt.

I hope I didn't miss any of your concerns.

What does the tooltip say on your forcelimit? The province status should not affect the drydock at all but it may be that the province without the drydock contributed so little that even with the drydock it won't round up to 2. I believe there is a hard minimum of 1 for the total forcelimit regardless of the actual calculations.

So, assuming Najd is still not annexed, if I go in, I'll suffer tropical attrition even though the province interface shows normal attrition, right?

Also, you're saying you don't know an in-game way to figure whether or not provinces like Najd are tropical or not before I acquire them?
Correct on both. Only way to know for sure if a province is tropical is to check the map\climate.txt file.
I hope there's nothing in the forum rules against linking Dropbox?
No rules against linking to file-hosting sites.

Yes and no. You'd be getting a ton of IA from those conversions, but you'd also make a ton of enemies and lower your chance at passing reforms unless you eat the 4 BB for vassalization.

Spreading to horde is def a good option, since you can border multiple horde at a time and pass a reform every 5~10 years or so.

Just to add to my earlier naval forcelimit question (thanks again!): I've moved my capital so that province (still my only coastal one) is connected to it, now I'm having forcelimit of ... 1. Is that because at my savepoint, the province is under siege (not only did Parma after being annexed and instantly re-released as 3 different nations somehow drag me into a war with Savoy, I also had access through them), or why?. How are the mechanics for land forcelimits? In the wiki, I found the formula
forcelimit = 0.25 * [ (sum of base_tax + tax_income) + fixed forcelimit modifiers ] * %modifiers + (HRE bonus) + (vassal bonus)
How do I have to understand "sum of base tax + tax income"?

As for a save, I would upload one, but can't get either the dropbox setup (administrator rights weirdness) or skydrive (for some reason thinks my browser does not support Java script) to install.
Edit: Got this here to work.

Just to add to my earlier naval forcelimit question (thanks again!): I've moved my capital so that province (still my only coastal one) is connected to it, now I'm having forcelimit of ... 1. Is that because at my savepoint, the province is under siege (not only did Parma after being annexed and instantly re-released as 3 different nations somehow drag me into a war with Savoy, I also had access through them), or why?.

From the save I can see that you only have one coastal province. I think Lauguedoc is simply not contributing enough with its base 0.5 (+ 1 from drydock). If you annex Provence from Savoy (cheat annex SAV) you see that the province of Provence is worth 3 or so base NavFL, which was also what I was left with after selling Lauguedoc to the French to leave just that one coastal province. I can't explain why Lauguedoc is so low-valued, considering its value should be essentially the same as Provence -- perhaps a small difference in Tolls generated to income.

Last edited:
So quick question, was looking for a bit of a challenge and decided to see if I could take on the challenge of Granada. I think I have positioned myself in such a way that I might actually win with the right amount of luck. (I have foregone my rule of not reloading for the first war here, since you can only win if you are lucky with events and rebels. starting a new game is basicly the same thing though more annoying)

Playing on very hard as always, I have managed to build up an army of 2 cav and 6 infantry. In the mountains this should be enough to defeat the 12k stacks castille throws at me. sure enough their casualteis rise into the 1000's while mine are at 50-250, but I kept losing due too morale.

Is this due too western nations having higher morale in general despite muslims being higher tech or this a consequence of very hard? To counter this I have thrown out church attendence duty for militairy drill so with a few more attempts I should make it out, but it seemed odd to me. (2 savegames, one were all the allies are accepted in october and and one were I can unite my army in Granada taking out 2k castillians troops in december/januari with a 12k stack arriving on the 4th of jan, serve as starting points after a loss. I am able to redirect 6k into la mancha before they arrive keeping the other 2k out of Granada if needed. Castillian units started with morale in the 2,4 or 5? Mine with 1.5 or something close to that number. Stab was at 1 before choosing drill, -2 now that I have it. Castille has no NI yet.

So far my allies (marocco, tunis and Algiers) are utterly useless, only once did Algiers manage to land 3 k troops. that was in my very first attempt.

I find that I am very dependent on rebels spawning from a move to centralized (which I saved for the invasion) to have any chance of succes. Hence all the reloading.

But my question was about the morale :p

EDIT: Or is it just that merc squads have lower morale?

@Gruzmog:

1. You want more cav in your comp. Charge cavalry are really really really good. Like, so good, I can't even stress enough how good they are.

2. Actually, western units are worse, even when they have higher tech, for a significant amount of time.

3. You're most likely going to lose the battle because your army is just so much smaller. Regroup and push out again, if you're playing in 5.2 they should run dry of manpower if you play your cards right.

4. Winning the war is going to be worth it -- if you feel the need, put yourself at 100% mint and hire more mercenaries, prioritize any charge cavalry and azab infantry in the list.

@Gruzmog:

1. You want more cav in your comp. Charge cavalry are really really really good. Like, so good, I can't even stress enough how good they are.

2. Actually, western units are worse, even when they have higher tech, for a significant amount of time.

3. You're most likely going to lose the battle because your army is just so much smaller. Regroup and push out again, if you're playing in 5.2 they should run dry of manpower if you play your cards right.

4. Winning the war is going to be worth it -- if you feel the need, put yourself at 100% mint and hire more mercenaries, prioritize any charge cavalry and azab infantry in the list.

The Cav is great indeed, but its a tight rope, unless the event you get in 1400 is + money you are hard pressed to hire moren then 9 units. at max minting (5 gold) you are already losing alot each month then. I am walking out of 1399 with atleast 3 loans under my belt so need to be carefull to not go bankrupt too soon. Greatest problem is actually having a province were you can recruit though. I can often dance around the castillian forces, but my 3 provinces are static.

In any case do mercs have less morale? Perhaps I should try and sneak in a few more regulars then. Not gonna try again untill tomorrow though, busy :p

playing 5.1 btw, waiting for 5.2s release.

when I win, i twill be worth it indeed. Castille wont have a coastline left if the warscore allows it :p. 1infamy a province ftw. Atleast the lack of a castillian fleet will make my allies more effective then against any aragonese, portugese or heaven forbid crusade violence.