• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Buildings and Supply & Demand

Due to a sudden influx of cash I'm able to go on a building spree. I want to spend a considerable part on economic buildings.

When I fist got IN a few months ago I was very confused by the supply and demand aspect, especially when tied to the production in provinces. See this thread.

Now playing DW I need some additional information and advice.

Take Zeeland (producing Salt): The tooltip for production says:
SaltDemand.jpg

If I understand the demand-mechanism correctly the (very confusing) text actually means that:
- (each province of?) ANY country with stability 2 has a 10 % increased demand.
- Each province that produces Fish has a 10% increased demand
- (each province of) ANY country with Serfdom has a 50% decreased demand
- any province with a port has a 50% decreased demand.

In other words: where is says Zeeland, I should read 'any province', where it says Holland, I should read 'Any country'.

Not clear from the other thread is if a similar system applies to supply. I guess this IS province specific (contrary to demand). Or does it mean:
- any province that is looted reduces supply from Zeeland by 90%
- any blockaded that is blockaded reduces supply from Zeeland by 90%
- any province that is not controled by it's owner reduces supply from Zeeland by 90%

If I look at Gelre, I see this tooltip:
GrainDemand.jpg

Do I understand correctly that building these miltary buildings will increase demand for grain, but not due to building them in a grain province, but due to it increasing demand for grain globally? In other words: building an Armory ANYWHERE in the world will increase demand for grain by THAT province with 10%? And through that mechanism drive up prices and increasing my production income in Gelre?

Last example: A small Island that is vulnarable for foreign invasion/blockade:
SugarDemand.jpg

The list suggests that building a huge naval infrastructure there will boost the sugar-economy, but IIUC from the other thread it actually means that building naval infrastructure ANYWHERE will boost sugar-production-profits for me (through an increased demand)?
So, since this island it hard to defend, it would be better to build these naval improvements elsewhere? And the same applies to Markets, Constables etc.?

Demand is affected by buildings anywhere in the world, yes. Each armory in the world increases demand for grain, no matter where it is. As nations construct more of them the global demand (and thus price) will increase. For you to build one of them doesn't affect world prices much, but if you are large and build many of them, it will.

I used to think the same thing as StephenT, but im not sure anymore.

I *think* (currently testing this) that demand affects that province ONLY, not the whole world. (if you through vanilla prices you might notice some entries that dont make sense like trade_good A affecting trade_good B in province X, but when you load game, the and hover over province X producing trade_good B tooltop says that bonus applies only if prov. X produces trade_good A which desnt make sense, im currently puzzled by this and some other stuff).

Demand is affected by buildings anywhere in the world, yes. Each armory in the world increases demand for grain, no matter where it is. As nations construct more of them the global demand (and thus price) will increase. For you to build one of them doesn't affect world prices much, but if you are large and build many of them, it will.

I understand that building 1 of them is a drop in a bucket, but I want to know where I will build that very 1. And then mayby more.
Still the question stands if the same applies to the supply side, and why it is worded the way it is, because it completely boggles my mind.

Danubian Cossack: now I'm even more confused. Thanks for replying though and let me now what conclusions you reach.

Everything before "Demand for this good is affected by the following factors in every populated province in the world" is specific for that one province and everything after that sentence is valid for all provinces controlled by some country. So if zeeland is looted it has a -90% modifier, but when another province is looted the supply is not affected. Not sure about how the percentages work, because if they were just that building two constables would dubble the demand of sugar, which seems a bit strange. So maybe these percentages are somehow averaged or something.

I think that the demand will rise for x% in the affected province. So if all provinces in the world build a constable demand rises 50% ?

Which of the Trade Buildings (Marketplace etc) are worth building in a Gold province?
Realistically speaking it should be a no-brainer to build a marketplace in Castille's capital Toledo, but I'm not sure it has an effect... since the trade value is zero due to Gold giving money instead of trade.

Which of the Trade Buildings (Marketplace etc) are worth building in a Gold province?
Realistically speaking it should be a no-brainer to build a marketplace in Castille's capital Toledo, but I'm not sure it has an effect... since the trade value is zero due to Gold giving money instead of trade.

Marketplace increases it's value by 10% aka x0,10. And 0x0,10=0. But the building after that increases it by +1.. So it should be 1+10% then = 1,1. But I'm not sure of this.

Following up from germanos' post. Do concentrating the buildings in higher tax value or higher population provinces affect the price of goods more than building in poorer or lower populated provinces? I have always wondered.

The main building bonuses tend to add or stack with the multipliers of the province so I always concentrate on my richer home provinces first anyway. I consider the price effects secondary, but it would be nice to know.

Is there a simple way of modding in the ability of Forming Germany with OPM's like Salzburg? I mean the actual country not just controlling the land and renaming my country.

No event for most German OPM'S

Uh... what?

Edit: Oh, you don't have IN yet? With IN and later expansions it is a national decision that is available for all Germanic culture nations. As for editing the event in NA or earlier, just open the "event" folder, open the "German Nation" file, and add Salzburg into the trigger list.

Is there any drawback to putting one slider on tech investments to max? In other words, is it ever worth spreading out your money since you are aiming for discrete goals.
I know about the "ahead of time"-penalty and avoid them

I just started playing EU (DW) again and simply sprint to Gov4, Prod4 and Trade7, letting my neighbor bonus increase do the rest of the work...

no drawbacks if you mind the "ahead of time"-penalty, it is even better to max out a slider. you will have the benefits of this one tech sooner. never spread. if each tech cost 100 cold and you have 5 gold/months to invest you will have tech one in 20 months by maxing and from this point benefit from the better tech. you will have tech 2 after 40 months and benefit, tech 3 after 60 months and benefit and after 100 months have all 5 techs up. spreading your 5 gold a months will mean that you will get those 5 techs all at once after 100 months. in the meantime no benefits.

you can even take the ahead-of-time penalty IF you will reach the "in-time" at a point you have gained less 50% of techcost. for example you are 4 years ahead of time and will reach tech in 10 years. in 4 years the "ahead of time"-penalty will be lifted and the techcost decrease while the investment you have made stays the same.

Last edited: