• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the minimum resolution for playing EU3? What aspect ratios does it support?
The minimum is 1024x768 and it supports any ratio supported by DirectX and your display driver and monitor. Resolutions above 2048x1536 might have problems in some versions.

I started a game with Granada who begin the game as Muslim. How can I convert them to (any) Christian religion? Want to create a Mediterranean Empire and the fact that everyone else is Christian is kinda killing me. Can't seem to generate enough missionaries to convert them.

I started a game with Granada who begin the game as Muslim. How can I convert them to (any) Christian religion? Want to create a Mediterranean Empire and the fact that everyone else is Christian is kinda killing me. Can't seem to generate enough missionaries to convert them.

Unfortunately changing religion groups can't be done unless you are a one province nation with a national religion different than your one province's and you go bankrupt. Switching to religions within your group (sunni -> shiite for example) is easier, you just need to accept the demands of those rebels. (Switching to a reformed religion from Catholicism can be done with a religious decision).

Missionaries can be gained by being more narrowminded or using certain religious decisions or taking more national ideas.

Unfortunately changing religion groups can't be done unless you are a one province nation with a national religion different than your one province's and you go bankrupt. Switching to religions within your group (sunni -> shiite for example) is easier, you just need to accept the demands of those rebels. (Switching to a reformed religion from Catholicism can be done with a religious decision).

Missionaries can be gained by being more narrowminded or using certain religious decisions or taking more national ideas.

Yeah I know about the missionaries but the sliders are on the far left towards innovative to begin with. Now I'm just everybody's target. Castille-Aragon-Portugal alliance every now and then and my allies (Ottomans and Mamluks) always drag me to more wars I can do nothing about!
Oh well... I'll try and go bankrupt :p

Yeah I know about the missionaries but the sliders are on the far left towards innovative to begin with. Now I'm just everybody's target. Castille-Aragon-Portugal alliance every now and then and my allies (Ottomans and Mamluks) always drag me to more wars I can do nothing about!
Oh well... I'll try and go bankrupt :p

If I may make a slight suggestion, if you rush trade tech 7 and grab QftNW, a colonial empire may be an alternative suggestion to converting Europe.

If I may make a slight suggestion, if you rush trade tech 7 and grab QftNW, a colonial empire may be an alternative suggestion to converting Europe.

Already got overwhelmed by the Castillans, Aragonese and Portuguese :D
I'm trying my luck with Cyprus now which is where I was born! Got loads of royal marriages... any way I can inherit a throne without claiming it? France, Castille, Aragon, Portugal and Naples sound mighty appealing for itsy bitsy Cyprus :)

I usually use stronger countries and only succeeded twice in a personal union (inherited Lithuania as Russia and inherited Denmark as England), all other times I just used the cassus belli and took them over.

Already got overwhelmed by the Castillans, Aragonese and Portuguese :D
I'm trying my luck with Cyprus now which is where I was born! Got loads of royal marriages... any way I can inherit a throne without claiming it? France, Castille, Aragon, Portugal and Naples sound mighty appealing for itsy bitsy Cyprus :)

I usually use stronger countries and only succeeded twice in a personal union (inherited Lithuania as Russia and inherited Denmark as England), all other times I just used the cassus belli and took them over.

Yes, royal marriages have a small chance of getting a personal union without claiming throne.

A personal union is established through several means, including luck with a royal marriage, claims on thrones, unification wars, and history.

How do i get merchants in multiple CoTs? I am Japan and have 5 or so merchants in my CoT. If i try to go to a different CoT though like Nanjing when i get new merchants, it seems that it takes the merchants from my CoT and puts them in Nanjing. Is it possible to have several merchants in several different CoTs? Also what is compete and how do i do it?

How do i get merchants in multiple CoTs? I am Japan and have 5 or so merchants in my CoT. If i try to go to a different CoT though like Nanjing when i get new merchants, it seems that it takes the merchants from my CoT and puts them in Nanjing. Is it possible to have several merchants in several different CoTs? Also what is compete and how do i do it?

Yes, it is possible to have more than five merchants. Still, if your merchants are not very good at competing with other merchants, you'll continually lose merchants in the trading CoTs, merchants that need to be refilled. If you are trying to send to multiple CoTs, while quickly losing the placed merchants in them before you can gain new ones to send, you may experience a situation were you don't seem to gain more than 5 merchants before the number declines again. If you are not able to maintain merchants in CoTs, it's probably not fiscally sound to keep sending them.

A more concrete reason is that you are possibly trying to send merchants to Nanjing without adequate compete chance. Check the percentile number next to the "send merchant"-button. If it is something like 33 % (after having more than one placed merchant), you will throw all your merchants into Nanjing without getting more than 2-3 merchants tops, while the Kyoto CoT might not be refilled, making it fall down to 3-4 merchants. Stop sending Merchants to Nanjing if that is the case.

The reason why this might have happened is that Japan (or the sub-states) are Mercantile countries subscribing to the early-modern protectionist economic philosophy of Mercantilism. Check your sliders in the Government-tab. If you are you will get a compete bonus when trading in your owned CoTs, ensuring that you'll maintain 5 merchants and get a larger economic boosts from those merchants. However, it will make it very difficult to trade in foreign CoTs like Nanjing which would explain why you might be wasting merchants there, preventing Kyoto from being fully stocked. If you want to effectively trade in foreign CoTs, you might want to move your sliders towards Free Trade, but since you need your slider moves for Innovation and Centralization, allowing westernization in the future, that is probably not an option right now.

A CoT can only have 20 merchants in there. If any nation wants a slot, the compete chance is used to see if they can squeeze an existing merchant out of a slot. Then the placement chance determines if their merchant gets to stay in.

It's more than likely that your merchants are being squeezed out of Kyoto, so you might need to increase that odd any way you can.
www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Compete_chance for any information you still need.

The Shrewd Commerce Practice and National Trade Policy (which also raises efficiency) national ideas as well as advisers all raise your compete chance. Additionally, please make sure you do not have high infamy -- this will lower your compete chance.

Hope this additional note helps.

I'm playing as Portugal and trying to prevent Castile from colonizing. I'm grabbing those provinces so that Castile won't have a land connection in between her capital and her coastal provinces. I realize that's not going to stop her from exploring as she's still left with a few coastal cored provinces. But is it going to stop her from colonization? Or do I really have to gobble up every last coastal province of Castile in order to prevent Castilian colonization?

(I'll form Spain afterwards, so I'm trying to limit the amount of provinces I'm taking from Castile right now.)

many thanks in advance,

Andy

I have a question. How important is prestige in winning the Electors vote for Holy Roman Emperor? I was playing as Bavaria in IN, and I had strong grasp on the electors. I'd usually become Emperor, but then I ended up with -19 prestige, and only one Elector will vote for me, not even my vassal, Saxony.

I have a question. How important is prestige in winning the Electors vote for Holy Roman Emperor? I was playing as Bavaria in IN, and I had strong grasp on the electors. I'd usually become Emperor, but then I ended up with -19 prestige, and only one Elector will vote for me, not even my vassal, Saxony.

Haha, woah, IN. I wrote a paragraph for DW before I realized that. What is your reputation? (If you don't know how to find the number value, just check and see the text, it can be something like "our reputation is slightly tarnished.") If that sentence makes you out to be a very bad person, that is likely your problem, not prestige.

Thanks, mate. Also, the reputation probably was an issue earlier, but it seemed to have recovered without my noticing. Also, another question: Do you take a large reputation hit for diplo-annexing vassals?

No. It's not that bad, assuming the country is only moderate sized. It's 1 BB point per province, so if it's a 3 or 4 province country it will be significantly less than a war.