• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
wow, Now its I cant move it in or out of the holy roman empire,
That's easy: Leave the empire. (Check whether anything you care about is uncored imperial territory first, of course.)

whats the best way to deal with the protestant reforms, it has been over a hundred years and I am still trying to bring distant parts of the empire under my Protestant control. all the decisions I can. for the first twenty (could have been longer or even shorter for all i know) the constant loss of stability, had me fearing the entire empire was going to break apart. If I had not had been surrounded by century old allies I do not think I would have survived it. So what is the best way to deal with the changes.

On a second question. Do the hordes just not research? I transferred a CK2 game over, and the GH had western tech becasue of it, yet they have lagged behind everyone. Kind of sad too since its 1620s and I have been forced to turn on 3 century old cadet branch of my original dynasty (same families still holds the title :))

On a second question. Do the hordes just not research? I transferred a CK2 game over, and the GH had western tech becasue of it, yet they have lagged behind everyone. Kind of sad too since its 1620s and I have been forced to turn on 3 century old cadet branch of my original dynasty (same families still holds the title :))

The steppe nomad government type has a 50% malus to research (and most of the GH's territory is quite poor anyway).

Is there any easy way to move your capital?

I know you can click the button, but first it was 'this is not a core, you can not move your capital there' I wait the requisite years and now it says 'you can not move your capital while there is a heartland around it.'
I'm playing as Avingion and have decalred myself the pope and took Jerusalem, I want to make it my capital but the game is just not letting me. Is there an event I can trigger?

I suppose if you don't want to sell Avignon you could create a "Move Capital to Jerusalem" decision; this should do the trick...

For more favor you could change Jerusalem culture to your culture (Umbrian? Or a Avignon Pope is French/Cosmolitaine?).

If is this easy or not depend from you...

I dusted off my copy of EU3, now that I know how to play HOI3. One thing I can't figure out, but I'm guessing I know the answer to: Is there any way to choose units other than preferred units? What if I want a few units of Halabred infantry to go with my Latin Medieval Infantry? Do all my units have to be exactly the same?

Also, do units get experience?

Thanks.

Are there any repercussions to trying to annex the Papal States after 1650? They control Central Italy and I, as Spain, would like to connect the northern and southern halves that I own. They do have some colonies though so I wouldn't be annexing them.

I dusted off my copy of EU3, now that I know how to play HOI3. One thing I can't figure out, but I'm guessing I know the answer to: Is there any way to choose units other than preferred units? What if I want a few units of Halabred infantry to go with my Latin Medieval Infantry? Do all my units have to be exactly the same?

Also, do units get experience?

Thanks.

1. well it's definitely not HOI3 so you really ain't gonna need different kind of troops in your armies :) however you can train other type of units in provinces where another nation has a core (ie. their preferred units - if they differ from yours) - you can do that even if the owner of the core doesn't exist at all.

2. no.

Are there any repercussions to trying to annex the Papal States after 1650? They control Central Italy and I, as Spain, would like to connect the northern and southern halves that I own. They do have some colonies though so I wouldn't be annexing them.

The Papal States will move, and the other Catholic countries might not like you very well. No real difference between annexing before 1650 or after.

As HREmperor
1.can I make formal requests? :p
2. Will unlawfull territories I take still cause me to gain -0.25 infamy reduction(=increase upon the next province taken) despite there not being a formal request?
3. Do countries ever ask to add provinces to the empire of their own accord? Last game had both Poland and TO/Prussia in the HRE but I was no member, let alone emperor at that time. How did that happen?

As HREmperor
1.can I make formal requests? :p
2. Will unlawfull territories I take still cause me to gain -0.25 infamy reduction(=increase upon the next province taken) despite there not being a formal request?
3. Do countries ever ask to add provinces to the empire of their own accord? Last game had both Poland and TO/Prussia in the HRE but I was no member, let alone emperor at that time. How did that happen?

1. You'll get the event, from time to time, but you can't initiate it.
2. Yes.
3. AI countries don't ask player Emperors, to the best of my knowledge, to join the HRE. It can happen with AI countries and an AI Emperor; I distinctly remember France joining the HRE in an IN game a while ago, although with DW I think the requirements changed a bit.

3. AI countries don't ask player Emperors, to the best of my knowledge, to join the HRE. It can happen with AI countries and an AI Emperor; I distinctly remember France joining the HRE in an IN game a while ago, although with DW I think the requirements changed a bit.

Correct. Ai nations will join provinces to the HRE only if the current emperor is also an ai nation. In general, only small nations whose capital borders the empire will join as a nation. Once the nation has joined they will add other eligible provinces.

More HRE stuff.

I tried to pass the first reform, but appereantly it failed. I never saw a message that it failed though, let alone an overview of who voted ai and nai. Is this non-existent or did I miss something?

On the imperial liberation casus belli. Is there any point in the reduced infamy conquest cost? If you don't have cores you will get the unlawfull modifer anyway and if you do have cores you could get em with 0inf via reconquest.

And then on a final note. I started a IL war against England since they took Friesland. As I did not have any ports at the time (I do now, but they are 45 years from coring) I have been at war for years and years. Are'nt Frysland and Caen supposed to defect after a lot of years? Or only Friesland if cores can't defect.. They are not english cultured. My war score is 46 so I can stab hit, but they won't take a deal. (Since I saved and reloaded a few hours later, new battles stopped adding warscore for some reason)

More HRE stuff.

I tried to pass the first reform, but appereantly it failed. I never saw a message that it failed though, let alone an overview of who voted ai and nai. Is this non-existent or did I miss something?

On the imperial liberation casus belli. Is there any point in the reduced infamy conquest cost? If you don't have cores you will get the unlawfull modifer anyway and if you do have cores you could get em with 0inf via reconquest.

And then on a final note. I started a IL war against England since they took Friesland. As I did not have any ports at the time (I do now, but they are 45 years from coring) I have been at war for years and years. Are'nt Frysland and Caen supposed to defect after a lot of years? Or only Friesland if cores can't defect.. They are not english cultured.

1. You can find who voted yes or no on that log thing in the bottom of the screen, there is "+". You need to have high relations with the members of the HRE, vassals always vote yes as far as I can tell. (If you want your reforms to pass)

2. Reduced infamy is always great, maybe it's better if you claim throne on HRE provinces, and conquer those outside the HRE, so you won't get that crappy modifier.

3. I'm not sure what "IL" means, liberation war?

If, as a member of the Empire, you take provinces that are part of the Empire from a country that is not part of the Empire, you get cores on all the Imperial provinces you just reclaimed.

And then on a final note. I started a IL war against England since they took Friesland. As I did not have any ports at the time (I do now, but they are 45 years from coring) I have been at war for years and years. Are'nt Frysland and Caen supposed to defect after a lot of years?
The requirements for the defection event to fire:
  • Province garrison is at or above 1000. (Probably OK)
  • Province is not under seige. (OK, I presume)
  • Province is not its owner's capital. (OK)
  • Province is not controlled by its owner. (OK)
  • Province does not have its owner's culture. (OK)
  • Owner is losing the war (OK) and has war exhaustion 15 or higher (check this)
  • Province controller (i.e. occupier) has war exhaustion below 5 (check this)
It then has a mean time to happen of 300 months (25 years), checked independently for each province that satisfies the requirements.

(Battles stopped adding warscore because there is a hard cap on how much warscore you can get from battles alone.)

If, as a member of the Empire, you take provinces that are part of the Empire from a country that is not part of the Empire, you get cores on all the Imperial provinces you just reclaimed.

The requirements for the defection event to fire:
  • Province garrison is at or above 1000. (Probably OK)
  • Province is not under seige. (OK, I presume)
  • Province is not its owner's capital. (OK)
  • Province is not controlled by its owner. (OK)
  • Province does not have its owner's culture. (OK)
  • Owner is losing the war (OK) and has war exhaustion 15 or higher (check this)
  • Province controller (i.e. occupier) has war exhaustion below 5 (check this)
It then has a mean time to happen of 300 months (25 years), checked independently for each province that satisfies the requirements.

(Battles stopped adding warscore because there is a hard cap on how much warscore you can get from battles alone.)

Thanks for the clearification. Gess I will be at war for a while then. They seem to have a pretty good king since with 5 provicnes occupied (me 2, france 3) their WE is not rising at all. tis around 2 or something. Mine is above 5 since I like to take wartaxes 13 months our of 24. Gess ill hope for some Frysian rebels to pop up.

The core thing is kinda nice. didnt know that. Would not have mattered against burgundy though as they are off the empire.

Thanks for the clearification. Gess I will be at war for a while then. They seem to have a pretty good king since with 5 provicnes occupied (me 2, france 3) their WE is not rising at all.
Yeah. A slight perversity of EU3's mechanics is that the less land England has on the mainland, the harder it is to take any of their mainland possessions away from them.

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding how to form Persia, and nations like Persia I.E Ireland, without Persian or Irish states. I've heard it done with the Timurids for Persia, and England for Ireland. I've read the requirements for Persia on the Wiki, but I feel like It's leaving something out, as I've never seen an National Decision to form Persia with the Timurids, or form Ireland as England.

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding how to form Persia, and nations like Persia I.E Ireland, without Persian or Irish states. I've heard it done with the Timurids for Persia, and England for Ireland. I've read the requirements for Persia on the Wiki, but I feel like It's leaving something out, as I've never seen an National Decision to form Persia with the Timurids, or form Ireland as England.

Persia requires one to be in the Iranian culture group, of which Persian is one. Ireland can be formed by any Irish culture state.

In the case of Ireland, there are four Irish states at the beginning of the game, all conveniently located in Ireland. Select on of them and you'll see the option in the national decision tab. :) The reason why you've seen England-->Ireland has mainly too do with the fact that it is hard to wrestle all the Irish provinces from the English as a Irish state, while the opposite is much easier. Mind you, England isn't actually a "Irish culture state" so people acheive that by converting culture. The same thing can be done as Castille or Scotland but presumably not as fast.

In the case of Persia you are quite correct, there are no Iranian culture states at the beginning of the game (1399) so it's not possible from the onset. The Timurids are Altaic, but can be shifted into a Iranian culture since they control all the land. You can also select a Iranian state in a later date scenario to do it the "honest way." Still, the natural way for Persian to form is to revolt against the Timurids, like in real history.

ADDED:
You switch culture by first moving your capital to a different culture province, meaning the goverment and the country will have different cultures. This can be "corrected" by a "shift culture" option that is enabled if the capital's culture has more provinces than the "old" culture. Imagine how the Mongols invaded India and set up their capital in Delhi. Over time, they adopted the culture of their subjects -- essentially shifting culture.

Last edited:
Persia requires one to be in the Iranian culture group, of which Persian is one. Ireland can be formed by any Irish culture state.

In the case of Ireland, there are four Irish states at the beginning of the game, all conveniently located in Ireland. Select on of them and you'll see the option in the national decision tab. :) The reason why you've seen England-->Ireland has mainly too do with the fact that it is hard to wrestle all the Irish provinces from the English as a Irish state, while the opposite is much easier. Mind you, England isn't actually a "Irish culture state" so people acheive that by converting culture. The same thing can be done as Castille or Scotland but presumably not as fast.

In the case of Persia you are quite correct, there are no Iranian culture states at the beginning of the game (1399) so it's not possible from the onset. The Timurids are Altaic, but can be shifted into a Iranian culture since they control all the land. You can also select a Iranian state in a later date scenario to do it the "honest way." Still, the natural way for Persian to form is to revolt against the Timurids, like in real history.

ADDED:
You switch culture by first moving your capital to a different culture province, meaning the goverment and the country will have different cultures. This can be "corrected" by a "shift culture" option that is enabled if the capital's culture has more provinces than the "old" culture. Imagine how the Mongols invaded India and set up their capital in Delhi. Over time, they adopted the culture of their subjects -- essentially shifting culture.

So how does culture conversion work? Do the majority of your provinces have to be a specific culture group, and then you get a National decision? I think I heard something about moving your Capital, does that have any involvement as well?

So how does culture conversion work? Do the majority of your provinces have to be a specific culture group, and then you get a National decision? I think I heard something about moving your Capital, does that have any involvement as well?

Your capital has to be moved into a province of the culture you want to switch to and you must have more provinces of that culture than any other in your nation. This should enable the change national culture decision. There are probably AARs demonstrating the process or detailed discussions in other threads.