• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To outcompete merchants from your own CoT where you have a monopoly, do you have to send merchants manually or do autosend work for that? (With full mercantilism)

Autosend won't send extra merchants. It's a pain, I wish that was a setting.

!. Are interest rates fixed the moment you take a loan?

Preferably you don't take loans but with some weaker nations with bad start sliders your hand is forced sometimes. I hired a banker to take a 5th loan at 9% to repay all of my already extended other 4 loans in that same year. But when I checked the ledger, all of my loans were listed as 9% all of a sudden. I was onder the impression that once the loan was signed, the interest rate was fixed and you could safely sack the banker, was this wrong?

Those 5 and later 4 loans in the same year were to defeat Sweden (playing Norway). And while I effecivly wingclipped them. (Took 3 provinces and forced release of finland in the peacedeal.) Its very hard to make money as Norway :p

2. Is a settlement policy worth it if you don't have other needs for the colonists? Home culture is nice but the 8% revolt risk is annoying, unless ofcourse this disappears after the culture shifts. Then again the -.10 magistrates...

3. will decisions like the policy remain in place if I shift national focus? I know land reforms do but still..

I believe the raising of the interest rate per loan taken is to help combat the take-loans-to-pay-off-loans system. I'm not certain. However, some nations' economies were built upon running on debt; for example, Alexander Hamilton designed the United States' economic system in the 1790s, and literally built the system to keep a static debt that can be raised and lowered at government will, though the USA has lost the ability to lower it at will today. Thus, I believe it might be historical to take your approach on paying loans, but it's rather gamey.

The settlement policy, to me, isn't worth it, but some better players may agree it's helpful in some scenarios. For example, maybe you've just lost an accepted culture (and thus, some tax ducats) and thus you might try harder to convert the rest of the provinces of that culture to yours, because in the long term it might be more profitable. Again, I'm not sure.

I'm unsure of your third question too. Sorry I didn't help much.

Preferably you don't take loans but with some weaker nations with bad start sliders your hand is forced sometimes. I hired a banker to take a 5th loan at 9% to repay all of my already extended other 4 loans in that same year. But when I checked the ledger, all of my loans were listed as 9% all of a sudden. I was onder the impression that once the loan was signed, the interest rate was fixed and you could safely sack the banker, was this wrong?

Those 5 and later 4 loans in the same year were to defeat Sweden (playing Norway). And while I effecivly wingclipped them. (Took 3 provinces and forced release of finland in the peacedeal.) Its very hard to make money as Norway :p

2. Is a settlement policy worth it if you don't have other needs for the colonists? Home culture is nice but the 8% revolt risk is annoying, unless ofcourse this disappears after the culture shifts. Then again the -.10 magistrates...

3. will decisions like the policy remain in place if I shift national focus? I know land reforms do but still..
1. Banker reduces your interest category when you pay your monthly fee. It's not fixed after you take up the loan probably so that players don't do something like you did, and being able to hire a banker after they accidentally take up a loan.
2. There are 2 ways to change a culture of a province. One is Cultural Assimilation event, but can only fire when criteria are met (CoT, Capital, or provinces that are adjacent to your state culture, with 250 years of MTTH). The other is Settlement Policy, which can fire anywhere in the world once established with 50 years of MTTH. So it's useful when you want to bring your culture to a distant area and let it spread from there. The downside (and upside) is that nothing can reduce or increase its MTTH as opposed to the Cultural Assimilation event.

I'd use it if I have no intention of expanding through conquest or colonization anytime soon, to avoid the infamy hit, and use lots and lots of spheres to remedy the magistrate reduction.

3. Yes it stays even after you change your national focus, so you can have settlement policies on very different sides of the planet running at the same time.

The downside (and upside) is that nothing can reduce or increase its MTTH as opposed to the Cultural Assimilation event.
National focus knocks the MttH down to 37.5 years, actually.

I've got a question about leaders' siege modifiers. Just what does it affect, precisely? Does the siege modifier affect how long a regular sit-and-wait siege lasts AND the effectiveness of assaults? Or is it just one or the other . . . ?

I've got a question about leaders' siege modifiers. Just what does it affect, precisely? Does the siege modifier affect how long a regular sit-and-wait siege lasts AND the effectiveness of assaults? Or is it just one or the other . . . ?
Just how likely it is that the every-N-days siege check will succeed. http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Siege has the gory details.

Ok, I understand what makes something overseas, but I'm still wondering something. Say for example, you're Cyprus. You head over to America and conquer the Aztecs/Zapotec/Maya, then when it cores move your capital there. A little later you go south and conquer the Inca, then colonize the territory in between to create the land connection. At that point all of South America is is no longer considered overseas from your capital, as long as you have a direct province connection all the way around, as far as I understand.

But what if you then move your capital to say one of the Windward/Antilles islands which you managed to get to a base tax 8 thanks to those colonization events. Would South America go back to being overseas?

But what if you then move your capital to say one of the Windward/Antilles islands which you managed to get to a base tax 8 thanks to those colonization events. Would South America go back to being overseas?

Yes, South America would become distant overseas because they would no longer have a land connection to your capital. Furthermore, all your North and South American provinces would only give you a quarter of the naval forcelimit that they used to (another side effect of not having a land connection to the capital.)

Depends on what version you're running. Originally it was fixed; in more recent versions the rate changes to avoid the banker exploit you describe.

Note that the Caribbean is considered a part of North America, and for a province not to be overseas, it needs to have a direct land connection to your capital or be on the same continent. So moving your capital to a Caribbean island should mean that only your South American provinces are considered overseas. If you're British and you own African and French provinces, and your capital is in London, the French provinces won't be overseas but the African ones will be.

I'm sure that this has been asked before, and I apologize, but is there a way to remove the Unlawful Territory modifier without handing the land back? What if you become the emperor?

When you get core on the province, you lose the modifire thru an event, if you are outside empire, you can just remove province from the empire.

Ah, thank you. I suppose that makes sense.

I might pull my whole nation out of it, (a blobbed Austria). :)