• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you ANO1453 do you know any better gov. then empire because i need more magistrates.
Absolute Monarchy (Government tech 27).

Administrative Monarchy is a reasonable choice in the meantime, but makes the stability impact of switching to Absolute Monarchy considerably higher.

TL;DR at bottom
Note: This is 5.1, not 5.2b! P.S. this will sound typical or even cliché

As the Netherlands, I have all territory in Europe of my culture group, and will not expand in Europe anymore due to roleplaying reasons. I have about 50k manpower, and my forcelimits are 40 or so for my army. I went colonial like a good Dutchman and got the entirety of the Caribbean, and the north coast of South America.

I want to expand to have some provinces on Africa's west coast for a) a naval base and b) the slaves and gold. I also want to eventually get to the East Indies. My problem is, I want colonial garrisons (7k troops in a theatre would be fine for me) but I don't want to bring too many forces from Europe, because I need them for protection at home. In Europe, I own the Dutch culture group. To the east, I have vassalized every one of my neighbors besides Lorraine (who PU'd and inherited Bavaria). France, who is a monster with somewhere between 190-200k troops, has been my ally for a century now, and I've joined everything they've wanted me to, because I'm terrified of them. I have the largest navy in the world.

So, I'm rather secure, as I am not allied with my vassals, so no one can reach me from the east during war. However, I'm still wary to take many troops from home. I have a 6k garrison in the Caribbean, and 35k at home.

The question (TL;DR): How do I get more manpower without expanding in Europe? I can reach South Africa by now, but that's the farthest I can go. I have all army buildings in my home provinces.

As the Netherlands, I have all territory in Europe of my culture group,
Based on the statistics you quote, I can safely say that you don't, at least not if you're playing an unmodded game. Dutch and Flemish are in the Germanic culture group :)

So, I'm rather secure, as I am not allied with my vassals, so no one can reach me from the east during war.
Take another look at the 5.1 patch notes. Anyone you're at war with can march through your vassals.

However, I'm still wary to take many troops from home. I have a 6k garrison in the Caribbean, and 35k at home.

The question (TL;DR): How do I get more manpower without expanding in Europe?
Eat vast swathes of the Americas. Move your capital to (ideally) the North American mainland. Job done.

Based on the statistics you quote, I can safely say that you don't, at least not if you're playing an unmodded game. Dutch and Flemish are in the Germanic culture group :)

Take another look at the 5.1 patch notes. Anyone you're at war with can march through your vassals.

Eat vast swathes of the Americas. Move your capital to (ideally) the North American mainland. Job done.

Sorry, culture... subgroup thing. I have all Dutch and Flemish lands. I wasn't aware they can march through my vassals' land, but I haven't been in a land war in a long, long time. However, I have fought off invasions from the coast by the TO and Great Britain. I'm role-playing; I don't want to move my capital. I want my capital to stay in Holland, and have a Dutch Colonial Empire. It's just hard with low force limits :( I don't know what to do!

Sorry, culture... subgroup thing. I have all Dutch and Flemish lands. I wasn't aware they can march through my vassals' land, but I haven't been in a land war in a long, long time. However, I have fought off invasions from the coast by the TO and Great Britain. I'm role-playing; I don't want to move my capital. I want my capital to stay in Holland, and have a Dutch Colonial Empire. It's just hard with low force limits :( I don't know what to do!
How many CoTs do you have? Building army building is worth it even in colonial CoTs, if they are good.

How does this "forced abdication" thing happen? I'm playing D/T 8.5.

What determines the outcome of a PU and how should I choose who to have them with?

Whether a personal union will result in inheritance depends on the amount of trust the lesser partner has with you, and how good your relationship is. I've heard 100 being cited as the minimum relationship you need to have a chance at inheriting at all. If your monarch dies and the relationship is below zero and/or your monarch is excommunicated, the personal union ends. Any country with an army bigger than yours will keep sending you insults until their relationship is lower than 0, to end the personal union. (If a personal union ends, you get the "restore personal union" casus belli on them, allowing you to re-form it in a peace deal.)

Thanks. So if I have a PU with a weaker nation and can keep the relationship strong, when their monarch dies, I stand to inherit their lands? Are some nations more likely to accept/refuse a PU with other specific nations? For example, will Scotland or Portugal accept one with Castille? Can you use PU among Asian nations or is it a European thing?

Thanks. So if I have a PU with a weaker nation and can keep the relationship strong, when their monarch dies, I stand to inherit their lands?
It is possible you will inherit their lands, but it is not definite. You can only inherit nations in the same culture group as you.

Are some nations more likely to accept/refuse a PU with other specific nations? For example, will Scotland or Portugal accept one with Castille?
It is not something that is accepted or rejected. Rather:
1. It can happen by random chance if you have a royal marriage, and the other nation has disputed succession. This random chance is increased the higher your prestige is.
2. If you have a royal marriage with another nation with a disputed succession, and you want to be positive you will PU them, you can click "claim throne." Your legitimacy must be higher than 50, and will cost 20 legitimacy. It will hurt relations with all nations you have a royal marriage with. You can wait until their monarch dies to form a PU, but if you wait, their king might sire an heir, destroying your claim.
3. Perform the steps in #2, and use the "Claim on the Throne" CB you get when you claim the throne to declare war. In the peace deal screen, under treaties, you can click the option forcing a PU.

Can you use PU among Asian nations or is it a European thing?
You can PU any nation that has a monarchy if they have a disputed succession. Remember, you can only have a chance to inherit if they are in your culture group.

You can PU any nation that has a monarchy if they have a disputed succession. Remember, you can only have a chance to inherit if they are in your culture group.

You can inherit anybody, culture group or not; you won't get cores if they aren't in your culture group, though.

I've inehrited the Spanish crown (and the Swaili too, but I suppose not so exciting :p) and I though I've inereted their core and casus belli (we're the same nation now...), but I've not a reconquest casus belli on Granada, for example... It's this normal?

Yesterday I do a test to pass the HRE "Revoke Privelegia" reform strange things happens:

1. Some my vassals don't like this and voted "Privelegia are fine"! Our relations are positive (~40). Notably Hungary (that is in the process to eat Austria via rebels)
  2. Austria, indeed like to become my vassal (it's a dead horse as said in 1), but it's Vassal Normandy said "NAIN"!
  3. Bohemia, coherently say no (but in a previous test I'm sure they say JA!)
  4. Champagne, Loraine, Bohemia and Normandy don't respond to the "Oath of loyalty" in a positive manner... so I, the Emperor, automatically declares war on them!
  5. Remember? Normandy is a vassal of Austria (and Austria theoretically is my Vassal!), well they like to help their Vassal... so they're in war with me (and they've a super uber army of... 0 men!)
  6. Flanders is governed by a cadet branch of Serlupi's house (the royal house of Italy), so you do expect they're my ally... nain they like Liege so much (and they've hate so much, too as Liege had 75% of the Flanders!) so they declare war on me
  7. I don't know why but there's Haiti, too... some cascading alliance effect, I suppose...

So I suppose there's not a way to convince Austria and Bohemia to accept to become my vassal (but Austria seems to have done this, but then used a "trick" to escape), but if I had some diplomats I could try to force an alliance before the second request pass (Oath of Loyalty), it could work? Austria is dead so not so useful as vassal... but maybe in this way it stays neutral and so stay neutral Normandy, too!

Why some of my vassal votes no? I though it was impossible... better to have 100 of relation at least with them before try to pass a reform?

For the life of me... there's a way to convince a sovereign nation to accept an alliance?

Flanders is:

1. Governed by a cadet branch of Serlupi's House (Emperor's Cousin, I'd say). Blood not count?
  2. Good Relations
  3. Some years ago they gone bankrupt (!) and asked me moneys, I give them... nothing changed...
  4. I'd tried a royal marriage too, but nothing they always say "Impossible" (I fear I could try to vassalize them?)

How take all the lands that exited from HRE? Austria do not leave the HRE and I see that if I do permit to them to "Concede Defeat" they're remain in HRE as my Vassals... but Bohemia, Loraine and Champagne and a lot of others leaved the Empire...

I'd try to vassalize them but I'd accumulate too much infamy.... I could take some one easily and hope to obtain the "Imperial Ban" on others (they leaved the HRE so I'd have it) after?

What do you think?

Last edited: