• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi.

I'm playing a game as Holland and has been attacked by Burgundy. They have occupied Zeeland, Holland and my three vassals.

The problem is, that they don´t offer any peace deals. It has been like this for ten years.
They only have a 85 % warscore, because I own some islands they cannot see. So they cannot force me into a deal, but they won´t any deal I offer them.

What to do??

Cheers. It's just as Byzantium I am having immense trouble getting allies. Absolutely everybody of note says impossible on alliance option. I did however manage to snag Milan by luck and they have conquered a lot of Italy to help me with Austria which is my mortal enemy. And Syria to secure my boarders in middle east. Don't expect Syria to help I just want that area secure. Fortunately Novgorod has almost become Russia and they love me so Crimea area is safe for me for now. Although I think Bohemia declared war on my Crimea vassal and has 100k doom stack coming that way. Hence I have allies but all too far away to help. Armies not moving. Thing scorched earth is the go.

Hi.

I'm playing a game as Holland and has been attacked by Burgundy. They have occupied Zeeland, Holland and my three vassals.

The problem is, that they don´t offer any peace deals. It has been like this for ten years.
They only have a 85 % warscore, because I own some islands they cannot see. So they cannot force me into a deal, but they won´t any deal I offer them.

What to do??

If you go long enough without a battle you should get a White Peace by default.

Does anyone ever visit the tech support section, to help some people and be helpful? Or are there ''employees'' for that?
You can see it yourself. Actual employees may read it but they rarely post unless something comes up that indicates a major problem with the game rather than a problem with the user's system/setup. AndrewT the moderator responds to pretty much every thread unless it's already being handled by some other volunteer. There are some other "regulars" like me that post fairly often and others only occasionally.

Thanks for the correction.

Question: Once I get the NI that allows viceroys, how do I get them in the game or is it automatic?

It is an immediate modifier to tariffs; you don't have to do anything besides selecting the NI.

What's the deal with playing as a Khanate? I just tried playing as the Mongol Khanate and was thrown into a war I couldn't win against Manchu. Then it wouldn't let me sue for white peace - I could only offer tribute. I also couldn't use diplomacy and a lot of nations... it said something about hordes not being able to do that... but it didn't make any sense. I didn't have diplomatic actions with the Chinese factions, but I could with some European ones.

What's the deal with playing as a Khanate? I just tried playing as the Mongol Khanate and was thrown into a war I couldn't win against Manchu. Then it wouldn't let me sue for white peace - I could only offer tribute. I also couldn't use diplomacy and a lot of nations... it said something about hordes not being able to do that... but it didn't make any sense. I didn't have diplomatic actions with the Chinese factions, but I could with some European ones.

A horde can only have "normal" dilpomacy with other hordes. with settled nations they play by a different set of rules, such as:

-You can take land infamy-free by just occupying it for a few years
-You cannot have white peace, only offering/demanding tribute, defeat and vassalisation.
-The settled nation can only take your land by occupying it then sending some colonist (similar to colonising some unclaimed land)

If you want to try playing a horde, the Golden Horde is a good one to start with. The Mongol Khanate is one of the hardest nations in the game to initially survive as. Hordes have some of the worst tech in the game and every time your ruler dies your country is thrown into chaos with revolts in every non-cored province and +10RR everywhere. For the first 100 years you can decimate any army but after that the Europeans will slaughter you. Westernising is an option but a very painfull one due to the slider moves you have to make to get to it.

I'd play a few more settled nations before playing as a horde.

A horde can only have "normal" dilpomacy with other hordes. with settled nations they play by a different set of rules, such as:

-You can take land infamy-free by just occupying it for a few years
-You cannot have white peace, only offering/demanding tribute, defeat and vassalisation.
-The settled nation can only take your land by occupying it then sending some colonist (similar to colonising some unclaimed land)

If you want to try playing a horde, the Golden Horde is a good one to start with. The Mongol Khanate is one of the hardest nations in the game to initially survive as. Hordes have some of the worst tech in the game and every time your ruler dies your country is thrown into chaos with revolts in every non-cored province and +10RR everywhere. For the first 100 years you can decimate any army but after that the Europeans will slaughter you. Westernising is an option but a very painfull one due to the slider moves you have to make to get to it.

I'd play a few more settled nations before playing as a horde.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think I'll pass on the Mongols for now. I guess I saw "Khanate" and didn't realize they were a horde.

What are the best NI for a land based empire wanting to go to sea, but making money at the same time?and what are the better governments then Empire?and I'm a big formed H.R.E.

So I'm playing as Taira Japan and I am the Shogunate but my shogun influence is too high for me make any DoW. Other than Guarantees and warnings is there any way around this problem as my influence is kind of hard to bring down.

-In my Hosokawa game in D/T 8.5, I'm in the middle of getting endorsments for shogun. What else do I need to do to unify Japan as one country and be able to interact normally diplomatically?
-How would a game as OPM Japan look like?

-In my Hosokawa game in D/T 8.5, I'm in the middle of getting endorsments for shogun. What else do I need to do to unify Japan as one country and be able to interact normally diplomatically?
Either be the shogun when exactly one daimyo (i.e. you) exists (unite_japan), or completely occupy the Shogun's territories when exactly two daimyos exist and you aren't the shogun (restore_emperor)...

Oh, wait. That's vanilla. I have no idea how it's been tweaked in D&T.

-How would a game as OPM Japan look like?
Very dull.

Either be the shogun when exactly one daimyo (i.e. you) exists (unite_japan), or completely occupy the Shogun's territories when exactly two daimyos exist and you aren't the shogun (restore_emperor)...

Oh, wait. That's vanilla. I have no idea how it's been tweaked in D&T.
Do you have D/T?

Are there any immediate repercussions of getting to be shogun? Will everyone start attacking you?

My only experience playing as Japan was in DW, not DT, but I had an easy time maintaining good relations with the other daimyos. None of them tried to insult me or undermine me unless I already had terrible relations with them. Of course, in DW you only have to deal with three other daimyos, which makes things much more straightforward. Shogunate influence can rise or fall rapidly depending upon your relationship with a single daimyo. I don't know if things are different in DT, with its highly fractured Japan. But in my experience, it's not necessarily a bad thing to have enemies, especially if you're uniting Japan through warfare.
So I'm playing as Taira Japan and I am the Shogunate but my shogun influence is too high for me make any DoW. Other than Guarantees and warnings is there any way around this problem as my influence is kind of hard to bring down.
Negative relations with one or two daimyos will usually do it. One potential strategy is to keep your relations around 0; if you want your shogunate influence to fall, then insult them into negative relations, and if you want your influence to rise, then do things that would push your relations into the positive. Unfortunately, very high prestige will automatically result in an increase in shogunate influence, even if you have bad relations with all three daimyos, so it's important to keep your prestige at a reasonable level. Forging a claim successfully will also reduce influence by 10 but at the cost of infamy. All this depends upon whether you are trying to form unions with a daimyo or take their land through war.

What's so great about gilded iconography? I see a lot of people recommending it, but to me it seems like it's not that great. It costs a fair slice of tax money, and gives cultural tradition and prestige in return, neither of which I usually have a problem getting. Conversion chance is situationally useful, but is also offered by iconoclasm, which gives you a tax *boost*.

Just upgraded to HttT yesterday and so far things are going ok. Decided to play the poor Norwegians for mt second game. Have set things up to get my own king after the danish one dies and I managed to snag a province of Sweden that was still a colony when Denmark and Sweden went to war.

My great army however consisted of 4k latin knights and 3k standard infantry. For some reason these horses got a red number in the army screen while the infantry was white. A single horse regiment was also red but when I had taken some losses it turned to white. Can anyone tell me what these collors represent and what they mean?

In addition, am I right in assuming that expending the bureaucracy is a one time prov decision so its worth saving the magistrates?

Just upgraded to HttT yesterday and so far things are going ok. Decided to play the poor Norwegians for mt second game. Have set things up to get my own king after the danish one dies and I managed to snag a province of Sweden that was still a colony when Denmark and Sweden went to war.

My great army however consisted of 4k latin knights and 3k standard infantry. For some reason these horses got a red number in the army screen while the infantry was white. A single horse regiment was also red but when I had taken some losses it turned to white. Can anyone tell me what these collors represent and what they mean?

In addition, am I right in assuming that expending the bureaucracy is a one time prov decision so its worth saving the magistrates?

The colors refer to the tactics bonus in EU3; if you have a mixed unit (I believe it's a 60/40 split, in favor of infantry), your unit will take fewer casualties.

Actually, expanding the bureaucracy is permanent; most people do it as soon as they can.

What's so great about gilded iconography? I see a lot of people recommending it, but to me it seems like it's not that great. It costs a fair slice of tax money, and gives cultural tradition and prestige in return, neither of which I usually have a problem getting. Conversion chance is situationally useful, but is also offered by iconoclasm, which gives you a tax *boost*.
Higher conversion chance is situationally great actually, and pretty much always usefull. More prestige is always good even though it probably won't matter much in most of your games. The extra cultural tradition is great if you don't have enough magistrates, which is often. If you add Patron of the Arts you can have 3 good advisors at all times without ever comissioning a single painting.
It's not cheap but it's definately worth the one time expense. And the sooner you get it, the less it costs and the longer you receive the benefits.

What are the best NI for a land based empire wanting to go to sea, but making money at the same time?and what are the better governments then Empire?and I'm a big formed H.R.E.