• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
(..)Now my question though: How do I demand Bruhir to open their CoT to me? I do not see the option in the demand tribute list. The game itsself says I can open a CoT by both warfare and diplomacy, but I can't find it. The war is nowhere far enough progressed for me to demand anything, (4%+) but I find it strange I don't even see the option.

Then another question do spices become more valuable over time? ceylon and sumatra all produce this and historicly it was highly sought after, but so far the prize is 3 or something.

The first question I have no direct answer for, but when you vassalise the country, their CoT should be open for your traders.

As far as spices are concerned, their trade value increases over time with every town hall, cathedral, constable, treasury, market and customs house that is built somewhere on the planet. The mentioned buildings increase the demand of the good in their province, and once there exist more and more of them, the price of the good goes up.
Btw, the same is also true for ivory, tea and chinaware. For coffee, sugar, tobacco and cotton there are even more buildings (the naval buildings) that increase their demand.

Now my question though: How do I demand Bruhir to open their CoT to me? I do not see the option in the demand tribute list. The game itsself says I can open a CoT by both warfare and diplomacy, but I can't find it. The war is nowhere far enough progressed for me to demand anything, (4%+) but I find it strange I don't even see the option.

Then another question do spices become more valuable over time? ceylon and sumatra all produce this and historicly it was highly sought after, but so far the prize is 3 or something.

1) you simply must defeat them in war to open up their market. Make them concede defeat, land or money or anything really, so long as you win. Then they will open market to you for at least 5 years. after 5 years they may embargo you, often will if they don't trust you and you have low mutual relations.

If you don't follow the war route there is the "open market" diplomacy option which you need to have 50+ relations with them to attempt. They can either say no and your relations drop a little or yes and your relations increase, allowing you to trade in their CoTs.

Once a nation has opened market to you, it cannot be closed other than through embargoment, which hurts trade efficiency. There is almost no benefit to accepting someone's diplomatic offer to open market.

2) Supply and demand, as detailed above. furthermore, due to crappy tech, indian nations will have low production efficiency meaning that regardless of the trade value of the good, they will not often gain much money from them. Money gained through production is trade good value*production efficiency.

Now my question though: How do I demand Bruhir to open their CoT to me? I do not see the option in the demand tribute list. The game itsself says I can open a CoT by both warfare and diplomacy, but I can't find it. The war is nowhere far enough progressed for me to demand anything, (4%+) but I find it strange I don't even see the option.
There is no peace option for this. If they were embargoing you then just you winning the war automatically ends the embargo but I don't know if that applies to the initial "opening" of a CoT as well (which is not the same as an embargo even though they are both referred to as the CoT being "closed").

Yup, it worked fine, took a single province and some gold and the COT was automaticly open. they have not embargod me after the truce expired, so it worked.

Another question, I have build constable's in all but three of my provinces by now. 4 provinces on sumatra don't produce any tax at all. they are the same religion, but 'tropical'-50% and distant overseas -90 makes the total 0. Would the constable have any effect on tariffs or would it be a waste of money?

Couple of Queries

Hey firstly, if you are for example Muscovy, and you wish to be western rather than oriental, is there a way to shift this?

Also some COTs are too far way, how do I solve this problem without conquering countries to be closer?

Thanks

Another question, I have build constable's in all but three of my provinces by now. 4 provinces on sumatra don't produce any tax at all. they are the same religion, but 'tropical'-50% and distant overseas -90 makes the total 0. Would the constable have any effect on tariffs or would it be a waste of money?
Constable only adds 50% to your yearly census tax; if the province has 0 tax income the constable won't add anything.

A spontaneous question:

In the case of "Found Indian Trade Company" the flag requires that you maintain control of at least one EATP, lest the flag and the option to institute the decision again is lost forever. In the case of "Declare Statute of Monopolies," does it work in the same way if you lose (release) your only CoT after instituting the statute? Or do you get to keep the flag modifier even if you do not have a CoT?

What does trade efficiency do?
Increases the amount of monthly income you gain from your placed merchants (at 100% of TE, each placed merchant provides monthly-income-per-year equal to exactly 1/20 of the CoT's value), and increases your compete chance (0.5% per 1% of TE).

Does the AI get a bonus towards morale after they're defeated? (Normal Difficulty)

I lost a land battle with a 22k army, and it was chased while it was retreating. Needless to say, having zero morale it was dissolved and the whole army died immediately. Yet, when I defeat the AI in a battle, they still have enough morale to not lose immediately when I chase them in their retreat. Why is this?

Hey firstly, if you are for example Muscovy, and you wish to be western rather than oriental, is there a way to shift this?

Also some COTs are too far way, how do I solve this problem without conquering countries to be closer?

Thanks

It appears no one answered your question! You can shift this by using the "westernize" national decision, though if you want to do it halfway through a game it might take awhile, it takes quite some time to get your sliders in the right positions to execute it. After that, you can use "military modernization" to make your units switch to the Latin group.

This is assuming you have Divine Wind.

Does the AI get a bonus towards morale after they're defeated? (Normal Difficulty)

I lost a land battle with a 22k army, and it was chased while it was retreating. Needless to say, having zero morale it was dissolved and the whole army died immediately. Yet, when I defeat the AI in a battle, they still have enough morale to not lose immediately when I chase them in their retreat. Why is this?
You can most definitely wipe out armies the way the ai did to you, it requires an army to have zero morale as you said. However what you might be missing is that the AI often manually retreats before all morale is lost, preventing the army from being instawiped the next battle, you can do this by clicking on a province with an army that's fighting (only after the battle has gone on for some time though)

Increases the amount of monthly income you gain from your placed merchants (at 100% of TE, each placed merchant provides monthly-income-per-year equal to exactly 1/20 of the CoT's value), and increases your compete chance (0.5% per 1% of TE).

Didn't really understand the income part xD

Another question: How can you increase tax efficiency?

Didn't really understand the income part xD
Trade gives you "monthly income", which goes into your tech/stability budget. On the first day of each month, everyone who has merchants in a given CoT is allocated 1/240 of the CoT's current listed yearly value for each merchant they have at the CoT; this amount is then multiplied by your trade efficiency.

So, if you have 100% TE, and you place five merchants in a CoT worth 1200 ducats, you get 5 * (1200 / 240) * (1.00) = 25 ducats. If your TE is only 25%, you would get 6.25 ducats instead. If your TE is 200%, you would get 50 ducats.

Note that your TE has exactly zero effect on how much money anyone else trading in that CoT receives.

Another question: How can you increase tax efficiency?
Increase your stability. Increase your Centralization. Pass decisions such as "Formalize Weights and Measures" or "Introduce Church Taxes".

You can most definitely wipe out armies the way the ai did to you, it requires an army to have zero morale as you said. However what you might be missing is that the AI often manually retreats before all morale is lost, preventing the army from being instawiped the next battle, you can do this by clicking on a province with an army that's fighting (only after the battle has gone on for some time though)

Ah, thank you! That makes perfect sense.