• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Im playing as a colonial empire portugal and was just wondering about CoTs. I have both Mexico as well as lisbon however neither is really making much money. Im new to the game but i want all my brazilian provinces as well as my portugese provinces to only go to a single CoT since half of brazil is going to Lisbon and the other half is goin to mexico

You can wait until there is an event that shifts you to more de-centralised and then enact the decision to save you from the potentially bad consequences of the event then.
Actually,that is smart.Should have thought it.Thanks

Im playing as a colonial empire portugal and was just wondering about CoTs. I have both Mexico as well as lisbon however neither is really making much money. Im new to the game but i want all my brazilian provinces as well as my portugese provinces to only go to a single CoT since half of brazil is going to Lisbon and the other half is goin to mexico
It would help if instead of Mexico, your New World CoT was a coastal province (like Havana or something).

Is it ever feasible, (assuming you're desperate), to maintain an alliance with a nation that views you as a natural rival?

Hmm... Does the fact that you are a natural rival increase the AI's incentive to break the alliance once it is formed?

Do I make more ducats if I own the COT province? And is there any other benefits?

You have a higher compete chance if you own it (and most of the provinces that trade through it) and are towards the mercantilism side of things.

Also, CoTs have a lot of tax income as opposed to normal provinces, if it's on the coast you get an extra +.1 colonist per year, and they have increased population growth.

Do AI nations behave differently than one another, (regardless of the situation)? If so, does the leader and his stats affect AI behavior?

Do AI nations behave differently than one another, (regardless of the situation)? If so, does the leader and his stats affect AI behavior?

Some do due to historical "friendly nation" settings but only to a limited degree so, for example, Portugal might be nicer to you as England than if you are playing Castille. I'm not entirely sure how many such situations exist but I do know the mechanic exists. There is also a "natural rival" and the possibility that a nation fears another that will affect behavior.

For the most part ai nations all act the same and it is unaffected by the monarch's stats. Behavior is dictated by size, religion, and government type, not by leader stats with the obvious exception that the leader stat determines how effective they are at sending gifts and such.

Do I make more ducats if I own the COT province? And is there any other benefits?
Besides the tax bonus you get an additional class of income, "harbor fees", which are 3 ducats/year for each merchant in the CoT; i.e. it usually amounts to something close to 60/year for widely-known CoTs.

Will my Inca and Gran Colombia provinces ever turn green in the economy map mode? :|

I think I made a poor investment into the Americas. D:

Will my Inca and Gran Colombia provinces ever turn green in the economy map mode? :|

I think I made a poor investment into the Americas. D:

It depends on several factors. Overseas provinces with bad trade goods, wrong religion/culture, and no cores take quite a while to reach the required income level. Should you move your capital, convert all of them, and/or get cores most, if not all of them will eventually. The problem, of course, is the concurrent devaluation of your current home lands that comes with moving your capital.

Without a capital move low tax, poor trade good provinces are unlikely to become that valuable without some buildings even with 100% tarriff efficiency.

I was planning on making my capital a new world sea province but i wanted it to be a CoT as well but it wont let me destroy lisboa or mexico as they both make basicly 302 ducats. Also im the only nation with merchents in mexico and im not getting a monopoly even thou im at lvl 15 trading

I was planning on making my capital a new world sea province but i wanted it to be a CoT as well but it wont let me destroy lisboa or mexico as they both make basicly 302 ducats. Also im the only nation with merchents in mexico and im not getting a monopoly even thou im at lvl 15 trading

You have to send a sixth merchant to get the monopoly benefit even if you are the only nation with a merchant present.

What affects the cost for sending merchant(s) to a CoT?
Distance and your Mercantilism/FT slider. And there's an extra penalty in foreign (at least) CoTs if you can't trace a route through your own territory from your capital to the sea, or if there's no route through the CoT owner's territory from the CoT to the sea.